2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wow, a whole season without him even getting a kick in some meaningless cup game.

Rajma

Any chance we can move him on this summer? Woodward and his stupid value preservation strategy at full flow.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Any chance we can move him on this summer? Woodward and his stupid value preservation strategy at full flow.
I reckon there's more chance of covid19 totally disappearing.

Great idea to extend his contract.
Honestly, I don't blame Phil for signing it. I would've. At the end of the day he's gotta look after himself and his family. Football's a short career, shorter when you're as injury prone as he is. If someone's offering you guaranteed income for years you take it.

But United are one of the silliest clubs in football to give such long contracts to many players who clearly aren't good enough for the elite level. We're now reading we can't get a new #6 because the wage bill is too big. But why is it too big? Who chose to give new deals to Matic, Bailly, Jones, Andreas etc?

The people that run this club will quibble over the pennies for the cost of giving Old Trafford a lick of paint. However, for some reason, they will sign off millions being paid to players who are not and will never be good enough. The fact they think that's 'protecting value' shows they haven't a clue about football.

stevoc

About as much chance as signing M'Bappe and Haaland in the same window I would say.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The face at the top left of your screen says it all, how SAF thought he was the next Duncan Edwards is beyond me, imagine we signed Varane all those years instead of this crook of a player earning a living for doing nothing for more than three years and counting, Ed Woodward must take all the blame for this one, if we eventually sign Varane strip Jones off that number four shirt ASAP, I'll like to see his face when that happens. :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Worst contract extension I seen in any sport. Complete disaster. He needs to be released.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I would offer him out on loan for free- we cover his wages, at least it puts him in the shop window.
Even offering him around 90% of his wages up front to terminate his contract would save us money because he is never going to offer us anything on the pitch nor will we ever recoup anything off it.

RU Devil

Since he's still around, Ole might as well experiment in pre-season and try him as a DM. That was a thought under SAF. Heck, try anyone besides having to rely on McFred.

Pavl3n

And back in the day we used to have Rojones... :(
How many years has he left? I feel a mutual agreement should be reached and he should be released.
Or sent out on loan. The curious case of Phil Jones.

48 hours

He pulled his body.
there was someone at work who tripped over a small kerb and claimed to have sprained their entire body whilst making a claim. Not sure if that’s possible, but if it is, Phil will have done it

stevoc

there was someone at work who tripped over a small kerb and claimed to have sprained their entire body whilst making a claim. Not sure if that’s possible, but if it is, Phil will have done it
The man's a medical marvel. By the end of his career he may well be the first human in history to have injured every piece of his anatomy.

He even got Shingles ffs, Shingles!

No Love

Who would sign him? No matter what you think of him as a player, he is rarely available for selection due to consistent injury problems. Would be really difficult to move him on.

Matthew84!

Heard rumours that Newcastle are interested in him, let him go for 5m or even a free transfer, anything that will help him go, he's not on much money here so Newcastle could afford him.

The man's a medical marvel. By the end of his career he may well be the first human in history to have injured every piece of his anatomy.

He’s going to get long Covid isn't he?!

He will be like a new signing when he’s back :lol:

stevoc

He’s going to get long Covid isn't he?!

He will be like a new signing when he’s back :lol:
I hope not but with Phil nothing would surprise me.

Not a single minute of football last season and yet Solskjaer or anyone at the club can confirm what sort of injury, if any he's actually been out with. Something strange going on with him.

I hope not but with Phil nothing would surprise me.

Not a single minute of football last season and yet Solskjaer or anyone at the club can confirm what sort of injury, if any he's actually been out with. Something strange going on with him.
I’m not sure anyone cared enough to answer him the question!

BFernandes

Since he's still around, Ole might as well experiment in pre-season and try him as a DM. That was a thought under SAF. Heck, try anyone besides having to rely on McFred.
And how would that work when he's shown he's not available 99% of the time?

Just get rid.

Bertie 2 Hats

I have to say.. i've never seen any of our supporters.. home or away.. wear the number '4 Jones' replica shirt.. :smirk:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Worst contract extension I seen in any sport. Complete disaster. He needs to be released.
As much as you are correct, do you not think there’s an element of hindsight here? From memory there was a time when people thought similarly about Luke Shaw (though admittedly not to the same extent). Now imagine if you’d given shaw away on a free and he was now playing out of his skin at Chelsea or somewhere. I get that Utd, given that they’ve already committed legally to paying the entirety of his contract whether they play him or not, wouldn’t want to risk another team getting a free ride.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I’ve had shingles multiple times, it’s not exactly rare

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He finally missed an entire season without kicking a ball, I mean that's like a striker finally scoring a hat trick in Phil Jones world

28gunsalute

Van De Beek has been a shockingly bad buy, a panic buy if you like and a total waste of cash but Jones the 2nd coming of Duncan Edwards has been the worst buy in the history of football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It wouldn't be rare amongst the general population no. But I imagine it's very rare for professional athletes in their 20's to get it.
Well it can spring up when you’re immune system is weak or you are under extreme stress so I’d imagine not out of this world for Jones to get it

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I feel so sorry for him. His body failed him in the prime of his youth, and by all accounts (besides his aggressive and reckless tackling) none of it a fault of his own. He's going to be 30 soon and he will never get a chance at a footballing career at the level he should have reached, the what might have been if after 2013 things had been different will hang over the guy forever most likely. A real shame. He was so exciting in 11--12, felt like a Rooney esque breakthrough in the first 6 months of that season

frookydinho

Can see a Johhny Evans type of turn around if he moves.

He needs to move for his own sake.

We need him to move on.

Incoming new contract extention

stevoc

Well it can spring up when you’re immune system is weak or you are under extreme stress so I’d imagine not out of this world for Jones to get it
At this stage I'd probably be more surprised if he hadn't suffered from it. I imagine he's under a lot of stress.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He won the Premier League. So its fair to say that even if he's injury prone and barely played in the past 2 years he's still a better player than peak Steven Gerrard.

POF

If that contract wasn't heavily "pay as you play" weighted then whoever signed off on it should be sacked.

That isn't even hindsight talking.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He won the Premier League. So its fair to say that even if he's injury prone and barely played in the past 2 years he's still a better player than peak Steven Gerrard.
Sure ! I would take Phil Jones over Steven Gerrard every day of the week ! I mean who wouldn't
Winning the Premier doesn't mean you are top drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.