Phil Jones, change of position or cut our losses ?

SNes

Make or break season for Jones, If he stays fit he's good enough If he's injured all the time we'll have to cut our losses.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
I don't have nothing against him but I doubt he's ever going to sort his fitness out I wouldn't complain if we shifted him this summer.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think we could afford to keep him around. His resale value is low due to his injury record. If he can prove his fitness and have continous games under his belt, we can assess from there. If he stay heathly, we could sell him at a higher price.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Why would playing centrally be more harsh on his body? Playing right back, for example, is a much more physically demanding position.
Because the central area of the pitch near the goal is where you would naturally drop down to your hands and knees to crawl after a ball to head it out of bounds.

In all seriousness, he could still mature into an excellent player who could provide years of service. Maybe some time away to work on fitness and coordination would rebuild him into an outstanding defender.

Oo0AahCantona

Keep him, he can cover loads of positions and should he get to grips with his injuries, then we have some player there.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
When was his last great performance? Vs Arsenal at Home in 2013 in the Moyes season? Can't really remember anything notable he's done since then.

lsd

The Oracle
Feel for him he seems to be a real united fan too and I love watching the clips of him celebrating with the fans this year .

However he gets paid to play and hasn't done anywhere near enough of that the past few seasons .

People say he deserves one more chance but how many chances can you give someone?

I would sell I just can't see him ever starting fit for 30/40 game and we have some excellent centre back options in reserve don't forget with Axel and Roshawn plus hopefully now with Jose around we might actually get decent prices on players we sell ala Chelsea

surf

Jose will figure out fairly quickly what to do with him - stay or sell, and what position if he stays. Don't think he's in the departure lounge yet as the manager will probably at least want to have a look at him in pre-season.

SecondFig

Sell. He hasn't improved since we signed him, if anything he's gone backwards. He showed a lot of promise as a raw, unpolished, defender - sadly he's now just a rash, injury prone, inconsistent defender

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
When fully fit I think he is better than smalling

But we haven't seen that for quite some time, and only so long you can keep giving him chances.
Van Gaal started preseason with him and Blind starting together in preseason games. He could well have broken through last season instead of Smalling had he not been an utter crock.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Still plays mentally and physically like a 20 year old brick that's been gifted a pair of legs but isn't sure how to use them.

ManUnitedCanuck

For some reason I have never been on the Jones train, and always thought that Smalling was the better player. Just felt, early on when they arrived, that Smalling read the game much better and that Jones just reacted to what was happening, instead of anticipating play.

Although he may still have a decent career in the Prem, based on his injury record and lack of overall progress, I think it's time to move him on. Only way I'd consider keeping him is if he'd be happy being an O'Shea type of player that covers many positions for us and provides options off the bench. However, don't think at this point in his career he'd be willing to do so (to be fair I wouldn't if I were his age). But you never know what a player's ambitions are of if they like being part of a larger club and still playing their own part/role.

nikineil

How much can we honestly waiting for this penny to drop? I think it genuinely is time to cut our losses, while he is still worth something (peanuts even!). The new Duncan Edwards will have to ply his trade elsewhere.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it's about time we sell him. He is talented but his injury record means he can't be trusted or can't form any meaningful partnership with other CBs.

If we don't sign one more CB then we will retain him as we don't have enough CBs. Smalling, Bailly and Rojo are our only choices.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's like Ben Foster, always young and learning until their 30's.

Footyislife

Statistically was the highest rated CB U23 in the 2014/15 season. Numbers don't lie, Jones is fast, strong, and good at getting the ball. He just can't stay fit. With him being so young i wouldn't worry about the injury issues. Though it would be smart to get cover which we did.

I think he could do well at DM. His positional intelligence has always been a little suspect having the luxury of pace. At the DM it could be more forgiving and actually take advantage of his strengths. We could use him in games to shut down a specific player. Anyone else remember that Champions League game against Madrid where he shut down Ronaldo? Sadly he pulled a Jones and got injured for the second leg. Someone please get him a special doctor to fix his injury issues.

Winrar

I'm leaning towards selling him like most here because of his perennial injury issues.

maybe jose will give him another chance under him, but if we sign another CB I expect jones to be the first one out.

normalone

I think we could afford to keep him around. His resale value is low due to his injury record. If he can prove his fitness and have continous games under his belt, we can assess from there. If he stay heathly, we could sell him at a higher price.
I agree with you but it's interesting how a player can be shite and have enough resale value to end up at a shite club who's willing to pay up or can be soo shite that he has no resale value and ends up getting chance after chance at one of the big boys

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
When we signed Phil Jones a few years back I truly believe we'd signed by far the best young centre back in the country and one of the best young centre backs in Europe but for one reason (usually injury) or another it hasn't happened.

It's arguable that moving him around between centre back, right back, defensive midfield and central midfield disrupted his development as he couldn't master one position but I think it's clear that playing centrally is too much for his body so would a permanent change of position help or should we cut our losses ?

Personally I like the idea of Jones playing right back if fit as none of Valencia, Darmian or Varela have made the position their own and with Bailly coming in as well as rumours of Jose wanting another centre back on top maybe Jones as a rampaging right back could be the answer for him and gives a completely different option at right back also.
I've had enough of this playing players out of positions crap we've been served for the last 5 years.

If you're bought as a CB, compete there, if you're not good enough, out!

VII

If we sell Jones we'll also have to let a few of the medical people go too?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I genuinely forgot he existed.

Seems like he hasn't played in about 2 years.

Green_Red

Does anyone know thr full story on his injuries? I know he is injured a lot but what type of injuries are we talking? Is it that maybe hes just a soft cnut?

RedDevil@84

I think we should cut our losses and stop waiting for him to become something bigger.

CS@SG

Wouldn't surprise me to see Mourinho try and give him another shot in something like this:

Shaw Smalling Jones Bailly
De Gea
Muscle and pace all over the shop.

(If he can get close to staying fit of course)
Playing Smalling at the LCB position is a desaster waiting to happen.

CS@SG

I remember there was a game SAF played him at a DCM role which was to nullify the opponents #10, and he did quite well. What game was that?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's only 24, which is young for a CB. Still believe he is a huge talent. Would definitely keep him around. Smalling was perpetually injured until the last season, and the patience paid off. It can with Jones too. He's got all the tools.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
There's no way that Jones should be a Manchester United player next season.

Loan him out for a season (to see if he can stay fit for a whole season to get another chance in the 2017-2018 season) or sell him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's only 24, which is young for a CB. Still believe he is a huge talent. Would definitely keep him around. Smalling was perpetually injured until the last season, and the patience paid off. It can with Jones too. He's got all the tools.
Smalling's injuries were nothing like Jones'. A lot of Smalling's missed games were because he was behind Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans and Jones in the pecking order.