Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Walters_19_MuFc

Will always love Phil. Injuries have killed him. Don't expect him to be here for much longer, but always felt he did a good job when he came into the team, especially under Sir Alex.

If he does go, then I hope he can find a decent PL club, where he can kind of reignite his career.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
From dead good to deadwood.

Kinda sad to think that when he retires all his legacy will consist of is facial expressions... :(

El Zoido

I remember when Jones signed and had such huge potential. Among many other things, he looked like such a natural leader I thought he would become United and England captain for sure.

You really never can tell.
Am I misremembering it or did he have an absolute stormer on his debut for us? Seem to remember he played in midfield and looked mint.

Two things ruined him, one being his constant injuries of course, and also being deployed as a utility player in his first few years. Both of these aspects severely stunted his development and prevented him from ever reaching his potential. I can’t believe he’s only 28, been with us for nearly a decade and feels like his career is winding down.

Cloud7

Am I misremembering it or did he have an absolute stormer on his debut for us? Seem to remember he played in midfield and looked mint.

Two things ruined him, one being his constant injuries of course, and also being deployed as a utility player in his first few years. Both of these aspects severely stunted his development and prevented him from ever reaching his potential. I can’t believe he’s only 28, been with us for nearly a decade and feels like his career is winding down.
Jones looked absolutely amazing when he started for us. There was a reason he was so hyped. He looked majestic in CB, dominating in midfield and great at RB during his early time with us. Injuries really robbed us of what could have been one of the players of his generation.

izec

I remember when Jones signed and had such huge potential. Among many other things, he looked like such a natural leader I thought he would become United and England captain for sure.

Of course not, too many variables. If injuries kick in, the odds are massively against you. And Phil is made of glass. To reach your potential, you have to have some stability and consistency. But Phil never could stay fit for longer than a couple of months at the best of times. If you are that injury prone, you are half the player, which he is nowadays. He had massive potential, but could never kick on and improve.

Untd55

The new contract was a stupid idea; he barely even played this year (in fact, I don't actually remember him playing at all). Now, the team is stuck with him for another few years.

A blind man could see that it was a bad idea in the summer, and it has turned out to be one.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
You can only think he was extended on a modest wage my modern standards in the hope of receiving a fee.

Jones probably knows what he is, and how he's perceived so happy to play along.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This time next year he will be entitled to a testimonial. Let that sink in.
He's said he doesn't fancy it, he knows he's the focus of ridicule. I feel for him (but I'd still shift him asap if possible).

Tel074

I remember the night at OT home to Bilbao when he played in midfield and then I realised this boy is like a headless chicken in midfield. It wasn't long after that I realised he wasn't great at CB either

jlecesne

I really thought that Smalling and Jones were going to develop into the best CB partnership in England. Jones was unlucky with injuries but both players' development seemed to stall once Ferguson left.

wolvored

Agreed but after 5 years so 2016 it ought to have been plain to everyone he was massively injury prone. He shouldnt have been given a new contract in 2016 never mind get another 5 year one last season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Agreed but after 5 years so 2016 it ought to have been plain to everyone he was massively injury prone. He shouldnt have been given a new contract in 2016 never mind get another 5 year one last season.
And it is not only injuries. Before contract extension he had horrible run of games. It was obvious that he is just not good enough.
That is why i am sure that Lingard is next. We are not a club who lets players to go for free

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Imagine if, at the start of his career, you told Phil Jones, “You are going to burst onto the scene at Blackburn Rovers before the greatest manager of all time decides you are the next big thing and compares you to a legend!! He will then bring you to the biggest club in the world where you will stay for the next decade.”

It’s funny how things can still go a certain way and be totally different from what we imagined.

Paul_Scholes18

Strange how no doctor have been able to figure him out. He gets injured again and again.
There is talent in Phil Jones,but we never gets to see it beyond the odd game.

Andersonson

He's a perfect backup player. Not really in contention for the bench even, but he gives everything and never complains. Not need to sell him because he doesnt really take minutes from anybody bar Bailly at times. The perfect backup player imo

Paul_Scholes18

He's a perfect backup player. Not really in contention for the bench even, but he gives everything and never complains. Not need to sell him because he doesnt really take minutes from anybody bar Bailly at times. The perfect backup player imo
He would be if not for the injuries. You never know when he can play. He has often had good runs in the side like under Mourinho only to get injured and struggle once back to find top form again.
Even under Ole last year he played well before he got injured again.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of you lot are mental. No need to sell him? Madness. One of the worst players I’ve seen play for United for 5+ years and he’s nearing on 10. He had talent for the first few months of 11/12 on the ball, good game away to Madrid in 12/13 but plenty of donkey moments in both those two seasons. By the end of 13/14 he should have been fecked off. How he’s still here is embarrassing. First out the door for me.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's regularly not available to play at the times we need him. Even when he does have periods of fitness he's just too inconsistent.

0le

I can understand renewing contracts for players because they are considered assets and can be sold, but I have never understood that with Jones. He has almost zero resale value - surely no club is going to pay for him with his injury record. It would be utter madness.

Cloud7

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree. In general I'm not a fan of our approach as a club of clinging on to players and hoping that they fulfill their potential eventually, as for every one Darren Fletcher you get far too many Darron Gibsons to make this approach worth it. Jones should have been sold before, I just really liked him when he initially came in.

Paul_Scholes18

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree. In general I'm not a fan of our approach as a club of clinging on to players and hoping that they fulfill their potential eventually, as for every one Darren Fletcher you get far too many Darron Gibsons to make this approach worth it. Jones should have been sold before, I just really liked him when he initially came in.
You still need a solid squad though. Fans here want to remove far too many players and put all faith in the youth who may not be ready.
We are already thin up front as a result of that policy and have to get Ighalo on loan to save us for some months.

I guess if you can keep the players fit then you might not need a strong squad. Although we have been terrible at doing that.

Red00012

He’s never fit , if he plays he’s guaranteed to get injured or make a mistake.
You saying he gives everything as one of his attributes says enough.

The very opposite of what a backup player should be.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
How can anyone with the injury record of Phil Jones be a "perfect backup player". You need backup players to come in and be ready to take over when shit goes bad, they might not be excellent but they're a steady 6/10 player. Jones walks into the team and injures himself after 400minutes of first team football. It's not even like he's suffered really bad long term injuries, it's just constant small injuries thats fecked him up.

He's the worst kind of backup player to me, unreliable and can never stay fit. He's the type that when you really need him he'll play, get injured and then we're down to the bare bones. He should have been fecked off years ago.

SAFMUTD

One of the attributes I would list at the very top for a perfect backup would be to be available when needed.

R'hllor

Makes sense, they said. If contract extensions were under someone else, oh boi

Edit: Oh just saw, he is also a perfect backup player, good shit.

hmchan

I'll say it again, Jones' injuries create an illusion that injury is his only problem but in fact it's not. He has both very poor starting position and body position and he lacks the appropriate defensive awareness which leads to plenty of errors. Here's just a kind reminder of how poor he is:

Jesse > Messi

Shame his careers turned out the way it has. As many have said before me he was a great player once upon a time but injuries have just completely ravaged him. Definitely needs to move on for his own sake and the clubs we’ve got enough injury prone players at the club, at present imo. I must say I thank him for the endless amount memes that his facial expressions have spawned :lol: I mean who doesn’t love a good Phil Jones meme? Peak Banter FC

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'll say it again, Jones' injuries create an illusion that injury is his only problem but in fact it's not. He has both very poor starting position and body position and he lacks the appropriate defensive awareness which leads to plenty of errors. Here's just a kind reminder of how poor he is:
I am saying that for years. Injuries are only excuse. He is bang average defender. No sense for positioning at all. People love when he makes last ditch tackle and think that he is good because of it but in reality that tackles show how his sense for positioning is bad.

Denis' cuff

Insane that he’s still here

averaged about 16 league games per season since he’s been here and he’s a millionaire

no wonder he’s too embarrassed to take a testimonial

sorry Phil but nobody is that injury prone - must be something between the ears or you fall out of bed from a great height every morning

enjoyed you saluting the pitch markings though

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
His mistakes are those expected from a 17 year old defender. However he is not young who has all the time on the world to mature he is a 28 year old injury prone player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You still need a solid squad though. Fans here want to remove far too many players and put all faith in the youth who may not be ready.
We are already thin up front as a result of that policy and have to get Ighalo on loan to save us for some months.

I guess if you can keep the players fit then you might not need a strong squad. Although we have been terrible at doing that.
I agree. However Jones plays like a 17 year old. His positioning, his head butting the pitch moments, his dips in terms of concentration. We get the worst of both worlds here ie a 28 year old body which is ravaged by injury + the football brain of a 17 year old

Paul_Scholes18

I agree. However Jones plays like a 17 year old. His positioning, his head butting the pitch moments, his dips in terms of concentration. We get the worst of both worlds here ie a 28 year old body which is ravaged by injury + the football brain of a 17 year old
Yeah his brain is a bit strange. He has shown times with form, but can then play stupidly in other games.
His body can't keep up with his brain though and I think that is a big part of his problem.

We will see if anyone wants him. Probably not with his wages and injury problems.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Watched a re-run from his first 2 seasons the other day on MUTV, he was pretty phenomenal in those first 2 seasons. At right back he looked comfortable as feck in the opponents half.

GiddyUp

Watched a re-run from his first 2 seasons the other day on MUTV, he was pretty phenomenal in those first 2 seasons. At right back he looked comfortable as feck in the opponents half.
At no point in Phil Jones's United career has he had a phenomenal season. Come on man

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I am saying that for years. Injuries are only excuse. He is bang average defender. No sense for positioning at all. People love when he makes last ditch tackle and think that he is good because of it but in reality that tackles show how his sense for positioning is bad.
He was better than bang average when he joined, in fact he was brilliant and his positioning was top notch both in midfield and as a central defender.
Terry made a career out of last ditch tackles, no one batted an eye lid with his positioning.
I think injuries have affected him mentally as well as physically, and when he does come back he never gets a run of games in before he's injured again