Phil Jones opens up about his playing position at United

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Hard to believe he's still only 25. So many of us were writing him off due to his injuries and rashness despite him being so young. Hope he can continue to improve and become a top defender when he's 27/28.

CG1010

“I have always been a player and always will be the kind who needs to be playing regularly. That is how you get the best out of me. Hopefully I have proved that this season.
For that he needs to remain injury free. That really is the key. If he does remain fit, then he can become a world-class CB for us.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he has been excellent since he's came back in center-half. I wasn't sure he was going to be anything other than a stop-gap but he has proven with his run in the side he's a very good defender, I just hope he can start to stay injury free now and keep playing well for us. Always admired his personality anyway, he comes across as a likable and grounded guy too.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
For that he needs to remain injury free. That really is the key. If he does remain fit, then he can become a world-class CB for us.
People really churn this term out far too frequently and it sets crazy expectations. Jones has not shown nearly enough to warrant potentially being as good as Ferdinand, Vidic, or Terry, which is what true world-class is.

soapythecat

I find it refreshing that he is happy to talk about playing the one position. I've never seen anything in his performances that would suggest he is a good RB or midfielder, and I guess that's maybe why I didn't rate him so highly. We've never seen enough of him at CB to really judge him. This season, he was done a great job and I hope he stays at the club as a CB and remains fit. Do we know when he is fit again?

CG1010

People really churn this term out far too frequently and it sets crazy expectations. Jones has not shown nearly enough to warrant potentially being as good as Ferdinand, Vidic, or Terry, which is what true world-class is.
I have held this out even before this season when he was being written off by everybody: In my view he does have the potential to be as good as Rio/Vida (in his own way). He has excellent pace, and strength. In the past, Fergie has assigned him to man-mark diverse players such as Ronaldo, Bale and Fellaini and he has neutralised all of them. Since then his positioning and tendency have improved massively. He is also relatively good technically.

If he remains fit (big if) and plays consistently with a worthy partner, I can see him forming a CB partnership that can be part of a CL winning team.

OohAahMartial

I find it refreshing that he is happy to talk about playing the one position. I've never seen anything in his performances that would suggest he is a good RB or midfielder, and I guess that's maybe why I didn't rate him so highly. We've never seen enough of him at CB to really judge him. This season, he was done a great job and I hope he stays at the club as a CB and remains fit. Do we know when he is fit again?
He is available for selection vs Watford, was just a bit of bruising from a broken insole.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I have held this out even before this season when he was being written off by everybody: In my view he does have the potential to be as good as Rio/Vida (in his own way). He has excellent pace, and strength. In the past, Fergie has assigned him to man-mark diverse players such as Ronaldo, Bale and Fellaini and he has neutralised all of them. Since then his positioning and tendency have improved massively. He is also relatively good technically.

If he remains fit (big if) and plays consistently with a worthy partner, I can see him forming a CB partnership that can be part of a CL winning team.
I don't think he's anywhere close to the level Rio was at 25. I didn't really see Vidic at 25.

I'm quite baffled as to how anyone can think Jones has shown enough to become one of world's best defenders. But each to their own. I'd love to be proven wrong.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I wouldn't say he's at Rio's level at age 25, though a large part of that has been due to injury. IF he can stay fit I do see him as a quality centre back for us for years to come.

CG1010

I don't think he's anywhere close to the level Rio was at 25. I didn't really see Vidic at 25.

I'm quite baffled as to how anyone can think Jones has shown enough to become one of world's best defenders. But each to their own. I'd love to be proven wrong.
I didn't say he is as good as Rio or Vida were at his age. But that's largely because his development trajectory has been affected by injuries and therefore not getting a consistent run at CB position. But that doesn't mean he can't improve when he starts getting played. He has been one of the best CB's in the PL this season when he has remained injury free. That's a good sign, isn't it?

Edit: Also you didn't see Vidic at 25? He was at United only, playing like a beast like always!

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I didn't say he is as good as Rio or Vida were at his age. But that's largely because his development trajectory has been affected by injuries and therefore not getting a consistent run at CB position. But that doesn't mean he can't improve when he starts getting played. He has been one of the best CB's in the PL this season when he has remained injury free. That's a good sign, isn't it?

Edit: Also you didn't see Vidic at 25? He was at United only, playing like a beast like always!
I actually think Rojo has been better than him this season. Mourinho is pretty damn good at getting defenders playing well, seeing as Rojo looked fecking hopeless for us under LvG.

And yeah I thought Vidic came here at 26/27 for some reason, but you're right.

SqueakyWeasel

He was lauded by SAF, immediately after purchase, as the next big bully defender! I seem to remember that we bought him off of Blackburn or someone after Fergie commented he'd never heard someone so young bossing a defence so positively and vocally.

If it hasn't, and I don't say for a minute it hasn't, worked out for him I doubt it's because of a lack of opportunities!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Interview proves what a silly policy it is to assume every player needs to be played out of position to help them 'learn the game'. For some players it can work, for others it just confuses them, erodes their confidence and affects their natural approach to a particular position and makes them overthink things, losing that edge they once had.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He was lauded by SAF, immediately after purchase, as the next big bully defender! I seem to remember that we bought him off of Blackburn or someone after Fergie commented he'd never heard someone so young bossing a defence so positively and vocally.

If it hasn't, and I don't say for a minute it hasn't, worked out for him I doubt it's because of a lack of opportunities!
He wasn't just lauded, Fergie said he could become our best ever player, as I recall. I'd love to know what the feck he was smoking that day.

macwemyss

Although Jones was a much better right back than Smalling, it never looked like his natural position (and the less said about centre mid the better). He's always impressed me most at centre back so I'm glad Jose has allowed him to settle there. For the past few years he's been constantly injured or making reckless mistakes and generally looking like a laughing stock (see Giroud head clearance), but now he looks far more calm and composed - I don't feel nervous about having him in the team anymore so well in Phil :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's an interview that his agent has set up to try and cement his position in the United side as a regular.

And 25 isn't that young (he's 25 in two weeks). Given he's supposed to be world class at some point, you'd expect him to be pretty much hitting that next season or somewhere very close, which I'm not seeing. I don't buy in to his positioning being good enough.

Despite my harsh words, I'd like to see him succeed, BUT I do believe if we want to win the league next season we need a world class CB, and I can't see him being any better than he is now personally.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Who cares if he reaches this vaguely defined and completely subjective level of 'world class'? He's been excellent this season. Let's hope he stays injury free. We currently have five CBs who have performed at a very high level at one point or another. The rest of this season might decide who will be our main partnership going into next season and who will be very capable cover

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
As much as I love Jones and I'm happy with him finally being injury free and playing well...I still feel Bailly and Rojo is the future.

RedMaestro

As much as I love Jones and I'm happy with him finally being injury free and playing well...I still feel Bailly and Rojo is the future.
Rojo the future? Are you sure? As much as I have enjoyed his season so far I feel that he is a bit of a "liability" with him tending to exaggerate tackling sometimes. He's been "lucky" this far, avoiding being sent off a couple of times and that luck will run out sometime. I could be wrong but think that Mourinho will look for a potential WC CB next season. Who that can be is another question...

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Rojo the future? Are you sure? As much as I have enjoyed his season so far I feel that he is a bit of a "liability" with him tending to exaggerate tackling sometimes. He's been "lucky" this far, avoiding being sent off a couple of times and that luck will run out sometime. I could be wrong but think that Mourinho will look for a potential WC CB next season. Who that can be is another question...
If Mourinho goes for another class LCB then yeah, I agree. I was thinking more about this season and out of 4 of them, Rojo is by far the most comfortable on that left CB side. I am even not that much worried about his tackling anymore, when was the last time he had a reckless tackle? Two months ago, or even more? He seems to be aware and it was pointed out to him. Ever since the last "incident" he was nothing short of amazing. Having that in mind...do we want to spend 30-40 million or more for an upgrade in that slot when there's more pressing areas (LB-urgent, DM-urgent, RW/forward- urgent...RB- semiurgent since Valencia will be 32 next year and we will have more games to play...even extra option in CM is more pressing issue than CB at the moment) that we need to adress? I won't be unhappy if we go with the same CB options into 2017/18 season.

Al-T

He's been better under Mourinho, as has Rojo. Meanwhile Smalling has gone backwards. Jury will be out until he proves he can stay fit and maintain the levels of performance he was showing.

Robertd0803

“I played for England against Italy away once and I played in midfield and I was thinking before the game 'what am I doing playing here in this position?'.

He is not the only one who thought that at the time to be fair to him.

RedMaestro

If Mourinho goes for another class LCB then yeah, I agree. I was thinking more about this season and out of 4 of them, Rojo is by far the most comfortable on that left CB side. I am even not that much worried about his tackling anymore, when was the last time he had a reckless tackle? Two months ago, or even more? He seems to be aware and it was pointed out to him. Ever since the last "incident" he was nothing short of amazing. Having that in mind...do we want to spend 30-40 million or more for an upgrade in that slot when there's more pressing areas (LB-urgent, DM-urgent, RW/forward- urgent...RB- semiurgent since Valencia will be 32 next year and we will have more games to play...even extra option in CM is more pressing issue than CB at the moment) that we need to adress? I won't be unhappy if we go with the same CB options into 2017/18 season.
It's been a while since Rojo was "reckless" but isn't that a bit because of the games the team has played recently? The opponents could not "produce" that much work for the defenders so the "defending" will therefore maybe be a bit easier. His recklessness will probably show when playing against stronger teams - it's when you're under pressure that the weaknesses show up in my opinion.

3KDré

I think he and Rojo have been equally as good this season. If he improves his passing I want him over Rojo with Bailly, but I don't know if that will happen.

Right now I would prefer Rojo-Bailly, but equally I really don't care that much. Jones this season has been immense, he's been calm, composed, strong on the tackle, good in the air and has mopped up when Rojo has made mistakes. His connection with Rojo has been very good.

In honesty I do not think we need another CB, hopefully Jones is here to stay for a while and this recent injury is nothing but a little niggle. We need Jones to stay, due to our homegrown quota and whatnot given that Carrick, Young and Rooney are likely to leave sooner or later.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's Sturridge version of CB. Can have "Brilliant" season, but the team shouldn't rely on him as the main man for years to come. Mostly because of injury, and other because he's not that "brilliant" also.

Last edited:

Red_toad

He's better than all of them, as they're all retired or well past it.

To be world class, you can only compare them to their peers, not retired players. The best current players in their positions can be classed as world class. Jones is very capable of becoming one of the best players in his position in the world, he has all the right attributes, his ability to stay injury free is what's been holding him back.

m1y2

He's Sturridge version of CB. Can have "Brilliant" season, but the team shouldn't rely on him as the main man for years to come. Mostly because of injury, and other because he's not that "brilliant" also.
it's actually a nice comparison

Loublaze

ATLien
He's better than all of them, as they're all retired or well past it.

To be world class, you can only compare them to their peers, not retired players. The best current players in their positions can be classed as world class. Jones is very capable of becoming one of the best players in his position in the world, he has all the right attributes, his ability to stay injury free is what's been holding him back.
Big dreams. He'll never be world class unless we're going with a loose definition. Same can be said about Smalling and Rojo. Part of being world class is having well, world class ability, its natural skill that can't be taught. Jones is not enormously talented.

wolvored

Big dreams. He'll never be world class unless we're going with a loose definition. Same can be said about Smalling and Rojo. Part of being world class is having well, world class ability, its natural skill that can't be taught. Jones is not enormously talented.
Agree with this. Hes nowhere near world class

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some fans don't understand that there is a huge range between "crap" and "world class"