Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Officially he was caretaker at the time but he was cemented as permanent role after few wins, talk about him planning our pre season started and all other stuff, if that wasnt the case, they would review his reign at the end of season how it was planned and not giving him full time job in middle of 2nd half. If he was against it heavy, Jones would never land a new contract, last thing they would want is to go against Ole at the time.

Doubt any manager would be against him getting a new deal? Thats a good one and also no, lenght never was a main problem with Jones contract, main problem is him gettting a new deal of any kind, it was a slam dunk to release him for free and they didnt do it.
Can't see why any manager let alone a caretaker would have been against the club giving Jones a new deal. He was injury prone even then but still a decent enough player when fit.

Look I think Jones should have left years ago but I can see why the club gave him a new contract back in 2019, the only mistake in my opinion was giving him such a long deal. A 1 or 2 year extension would have been ideal to retain him for the time being and give the club time to sell him.

Dve

That says a lot for you then because I feel Rio has made a but if a twat of himself there
100%. To suggest that you wouldn´t talk to someone because they are not playing, well, what kind of arrogant prat those that make you.

Jericholyte2

To all those backing Rio for his comments, I'd be very interested to see what, if anything, Jones would have to say once he either (a) leaves United or (b) retires.

I'd imagine that, arriving to United as a teenager with Sir Alex Ferguson of all people likening you to Duncan Edwards no less, suffering injury after injury, becoming an online meme for nonsense facial expressions whilst playing in matches (often during really good pieces of defending - the crawling on the ground as an example), the constant mocking by, not only opposition fans, but his own fans too, would have had a significant impact on his mental health. I remember him noting that he declined a testimonial as, 'only my mum and dad would be in attendance' - how bad is that, to think that you're own fans wouldn't bother showing up.

Yes, he's made a lot of money whilst at United whilst not playing a lot, but none of us know the full extent of why / how this has happened, or the role that mental health has played in it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
100%. To suggest that you wouldn´t talk to someone because they are not playing, well, what kind of arrogant prat those that make you.
It’s just complete nonsense. Rio knows what it takes to keep a team going, a big squad with a sense of supporting each other. He’s gone down in my estimations with that horseshit he’s spewed out

CM

I usually quite like Ferdinand but I don't get what he was doing here. Making those kinds of comments about a player when he's clearly uninformed about his situation is out of order really, especially when it's an ex-teammate.

Jones hasn't been sitting in the background doing nothing for years. He's played under every manager we've had when he's been fit. For the last 18 months or so he's been injured - no professional wants that and Jones won't be an exception.

To say he's taking the spot of a young player is just stupid when a) he isn't playing and b) we've literally signed Paul McShane to play for the reserve team. I think Ferdinand was following Stephen Howson's lead so it's not really a shock he's off the mark, but if you're going to drag someone's name through the mud at least do your research first.

mu4c_20le

It’s just complete nonsense. Rio knows what it takes to keep a team going, a big squad with a sense of supporting each other. He’s gone down in my estimations with that horseshit he’s spewed out
He's just taking the fan thing a bit too literally now, and ends up sounding like a caller on Talkshite.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For the last 18 months or so he's been injured - no professional wants that and Jones won't be an exception.
Out of curiosity, what is the injury that has kept Jones on the treatment table for the past 18 months?

CM

Out of curiosity, what is the injury that has kept Jones on the treatment table for the past 18 months?
From memory it was a bad knee injury, similar to the one Solskjaer had at the end of his own playing career.

pascell

It was a knee injury which he came back from but it needed surgery on it, which we didn't get him last summer and no other club would sign him because he needed the surgery. Fast forward to this year and he gets the surgery, yet no one still wants to sign him because of his injury record and his high wages.

DevTheRed

Hargreaves was much more talented, and he did a lot more than Jones ever done at this club in the 1.5 years he was fit, hence why we had some hope on him coming back strong, whereas Jones has done nothing wordy of remembrance, Yes he was part of a title winning team how much did he contribute?
Hargreaves had 1 season where he was fit and played regularly, had it not been the season where we won the champions league (and scored a class penalty) he probably wouldn’t be seen as much of a favourite.

I loved Hargreaves, really wanted him to come back after his injuries, just using it as a comparison as to why Jones gets such bad treatment. At the end of the day it wasn’t his fault he was offered a new contact and it isn’t his fault with the amount of injured he’s had.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Can I just point out that when Jones signed the contract that everyone is so up in arms about, he'd played in 11 of our previous 13 league matches, playing the full 90 minutes in nine of them. He'd also featured in England's World Cup squad the summer before that season, and had played in 25 and 26 matches respectively in the two seasons prior, and was only just turning 27 years old.

That things have panned out as they have is just unfortunate, and for no one moreso than Jones.

I don't think he has a future here, but to act like he should have turned down a contract extension, when he was very much a first team player in the prime years of his career, and somehow had the foresight to know he'd pick up a horrendous injury, is laughable.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
No one will buy him given his injury so there’s nothing the club can do. He’ll just sit there earning a crazy amount until his contract ends. It’s the clubs fault for extending his contract.

Redfrog

To all those backing Rio for his comments, I'd be very interested to see what, if anything, Jones would have to say once he either (a) leaves United or (b) retires.

I'd imagine that, arriving to United as a teenager with Sir Alex Ferguson of all people likening you to Duncan Edwards no less, suffering injury after injury, becoming an online meme for nonsense facial expressions whilst playing in matches (often during really good pieces of defending - the crawling on the ground as an example), the constant mocking by, not only opposition fans, but his own fans too, would have had a significant impact on his mental health. I remember him noting that he declined a testimonial as, 'only my mum and dad would be in attendance' - how bad is that, to think that you're own fans wouldn't bother showing up.

Yes, he's made a lot of money whilst at United whilst not playing a lot, but none of us know the full extent of why / how this has happened, or the role that mental health has played in it.
That’s a very sad story.

I want him gone but he never deserved the abuse. It’s not like it’s intentional from him and he always respected the club as far as I can see.

I remember his first year at United and I liked him a lot, was always giving it all. But I remember after he got an injury, he took so many time to come back and was never the same as he was always injured after that.

Yes the guy can be rich but getting abused all the time will make you very miserable no matter how strong you are. All this people mocking him whenever they can and abusing him on social media are very sad, pathetic guys. I am sure Jones is a nice guy and don’t deserve a fraction on what he gets. It’s easy to forget that this personalities are human beings after all and that money can’t solve every problem.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Hargreaves had 1 season where he was fit and played regularly, had it not been the season where we won the champions league (and scored a class penalty) he probably wouldn’t be seen as much of a favourite.

I loved Hargreaves, really wanted him to come back after his injuries, just using it as a comparison as to why Jones gets such bad treatment. At the end of the day it wasn’t his fault he was offered a new contact and it isn’t his fault with the amount of injured he’s had.
Don't forget that beautiful free-kick against Arsenal, Hargreaves knew when to leave albeit to a rival but he knew when to go out there and try something new. I remember us offering him a pay as you play contract at the time but he decided to move on.

Abraxas

The idea a player is taking a spot from any youngster makes zero sense at all.

It doesn't make sense practically speaking, as we just signed a centre half for 40 million to go alongside our 80 million captain, leaving last season's established centre back in Lindelof on the bench. That is a very tangible block.

It doesn't make sense logically speaking as the manager decides who takes any spot. He has his ideas at the start of the season for who are his core players he relies on, who makes up the numbers and who is a promising youth that may be introduced. Whether Phil Jones stays or goes is largely irrelevant, the manager decides who the better players are or who he is investing in for reasons of potential. Essentially, you have to be good enough and if you're not better than a guy who can't get on the pitch the prospects aren't as bright as Rio is hinting.

RUCK4444

The idea a player is taking a spot from any youngster makes zero sense at all.

It doesn't make sense practically speaking, as we just signed a centre half for 40 million to go alongside our 80 million captain, leaving last season's established centre back in Lindelof on the bench. That is a very tangible block.

It doesn't make sense logically speaking as the manager decides who takes any spot. He has his ideas at the start of the season for who are his core players he relies on, who makes up the numbers and who is a promising youth that may be introduced. Whether Phil Jones stays or goes is largely irrelevant, the manager decides who the better players are or who he is investing in for reasons of potential.
You need to play to take the spot. Personally I don’t ever expect to see him play competitively ever again for us.

I mean how long has it been? At least a year?

RUCK4444

Just seeing the Rio quotes. Rio played with him, no way on earth he says that unless he has serious reservations with the player (obviously.)

I remember a story Keane ripped into two players he was managing (can’t remember where) becuase they were on the bench injured and chatting and laughing, I can imagine it’s the same sort of feeling that irks Rio.

These guys are elite athletes with immense drive to succeed, if your not part of the solution in providing that success then your part of the problem. That is the mentality you HAVE to have to win anything at this level.

He’s only talking now because at this point it’s literally past the point of becoming a joke how Phil is still here. What’s he supposed to say?

kps88

Rio clearly wasn't aware that he's been injured all this time. It's not like he's been fully fit and happy to sit in the stands every week, which is what Rio was suggesting. It's nothing like the Bogarde situation.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Rio is just a clout chaser these days, pushing his 5 channel. He's come across as a complete tool, considering he also represents players - or at least his new era company does, I am surprised he's said that sort of tosh.

Devil may care

I get Rio's frustration, there are several players just eating up space and wages here knowing they'll barely play, zero ambition.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Just seeing the Rio quotes. Rio played with him, no way on earth he says that unless he has serious reservations with the player (obviously.)

I remember a story Keane ripped into two players he was managing (can’t remember where) becuase they were on the bench injured and chatting and laughing, I can imagine it’s the same sort of feeling that irks Rio.

These guys are elite athletes with immense drive to succeed, if your not part of the solution in providing that success then your part of the problem. That is the mentality you HAVE to have to win anything at this level.

He’s only talking now because at this point it’s literally past the point of becoming a joke how Phil is still here. What’s he supposed to say?
Oh the horror of a multi million company having to watch his employee have a laugh with his mates while he's unable to work and still getting paid because labor laws exist :rolleyes:
Try him as a DCM while scotty is out!
Yes and let him take corners while we're at it. Also let's try out Fred at CB and Martial as a no 10 :nervous:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Fergie definitely played him in midfield a fair few times.

Even with a leg barely hanging together he's as mobile as Matic which is clearly what we've got for the next month, so it's not totally crazy.

That said, DMF runs a hell of a lot more than a CB, so doubt Jones' fitness after so long out would be anywhere near good enough.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Oh the horror of a multi million company having to watch his employee have a laugh with his mates while he's unable to work and still getting paid because labor laws exist :rolleyes:

Yes and let him take corners while we're at it. Also let's try out Fred at CB and Martial as a no 10 :nervous:
He literally could not be any worse than matic. In fact Id even play you there ahead of matic.

lsd

The Oracle
Can I just point out that when Jones signed the contract that everyone is so up in arms about, he'd played in 11 of our previous 13 league matches, playing the full 90 minutes in nine of them. He'd also featured in England's World Cup squad the summer before that season, and had played in 25 and 26 matches respectively in the two seasons prior, and was only just turning 27 years old.

That things have panned out as they have is just unfortunate, and for no one moreso than Jones.

I don't think he has a future here, but to act like he should have turned down a contract extension, when he was very much a first team player in the prime years of his career, and somehow had the foresight to know he'd pick up a horrendous injury, is laughable.

Good post and makes a lot of sense. It's just a shame things turned out the rest they did but that's not good fault or the club's really

RUCK4444

Well done at entirely missing the point.

Shall we keep giving contracts to other players who become permanently injured as well, just keep them all happy on the bench together costing us a fortune? Ya know, because we are a ‘multi million company’.

I wonder why not a single other club in Europe operates that way? Hmmm

Also if I’m permanently out of work I don’t get to keep my job because of labour laws, wages are reduced and your laid off if your not fit for purpose in the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.