Phil Jones will outlast Ronaldo and the Glazers

stevoc

I actually think we should give him a new contract... not as a player though. He's a living meme and should replace Fred the red as our teams new mascot, walking around the pitch making weird faces
Bit harsh, Fred's been a decent impact player off the bench the last 2 months.

I know.

stevoc

He's pretty much had one consistent problem with his knee. It happened before he even joined Utd and it looks like it's just gotten progressively worse since he injured it again in 2016 or whatever it was.

I've been critical of him because he's basically sitting there not being able to what he's being paid to, play football, maybe he should have just retired already.

But this whole thing is on the club for offering him that new deal when it was clear he couldn't continue to function as a player.
To be fair yes he's had that long term knee problem. But during his time at the club I don't think there's a part of his anatomy that he hasn't injured resulting in him missing games.

RopersReturn

I do not understand this take. There was a thread this week about 'Player Power' being out of control with playing staff able to invalidate their contracts by refusing to train and forcing a move. Ultimately contracts and loyalty are a two-way street. If Jones was fully fit and was trying to force a move through to Bordeaux against the club's wishes, we'd be slating him. If he wants to stay and see out the rest of his contract while working towards full fitness, that's equally his prerogative. United have the option to terminate for the full value also, that's their prerogative.

If Jones had displayed incompetence and breached implied trust/confidence by returning overweight (Kalvin Phillips, Eden Hazard, Romelu Lukaku, etc.) or taken drugs punishments (Adrian Mutu, Rio Ferdinand, etc.) which had made their position untenable then I would understand some of the anger towards him. However, from any reliable source he is a dedicated professional, trying to return to playing regularly if possible and has a young family based in North West England with his daughter at school entry age. I would imagine his loyalties lie with their better interests understandably rather than reducing United's wage bill.

You're suggesting he's a pisstaker but there's no evidence of it. United understand his long-term needs for managing his condition and he's within his rights to remain here.

As said elsewhere, I doubt this is how he would want his career to have gone...
I think you do understand where I’m coming from but disagree, that’s fine you’re entitled to an opinion on a largely subjective based thread.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Had you ever thought or even considered that he just doesn’t care?

Not all footballers remain “driven” once the big time has been hit.

Some narratives being thrown out that he should want too kick his career on etc or how much he’ll regret looking back at his career having just collected a wage (a wage that will leave him a multi millionaire and never have to work a day in his life again when he retires)

Sometimes players lose their drive, in the world of elite professional sports….it’s hardly un common.

It’s just frustrating for fans to witness a useless player earn his millions each year with zero contribution to the team, but unfortunately for the fans, that’s not his problem.
The guy was literally crying and holding his hand to the club emblem when he walked off OT. Being able to actually play likely means the world to him. Hardly his fault his body is giving up on him

Bogga

Bit harsh, Fred's been a decent impact player off the bench the last 2 months.

I know.
Does it count like I fell for it when I quoted you and saw the white text before I started writing? :nervous:

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I think you do understand where I’m coming from but disagree, that’s fine you’re entitled to an opinion on a largely subjective based thread.
Of course, I just think that there are objectively justifiable reasons which meant Jonesy probably chose remaining bit-part at United over a riskier move to Bordeaux, not least uprooting/moving away from his family and moving outside of ongoing long-term treatment from United's physiotherapy department, as opposed to being a pisstaker trying to do the bare minimum for his salary. Who knows, he probably has mentally checked out but I can't blame him even if he has and chooses the easier option of staying at United particularly when considering the context of the article he did a couple of years back about his mental health and unsolicited abuse in public in front of his family, etc.

r1z3mu

He has played around 1300 mins, so around 14 games.
4.5 * 52 * 75000 / 14 = 1.25 million pounds per match.
Thank you for math. Phil looks like one of the most expensive players in PL (per match). :lol:

roseguy64

Had you ever thought or even considered that he just doesn’t care?

Not all footballers remain “driven” once the big time has been hit.

Some narratives being thrown out that he should want too kick his career on etc or how much he’ll regret looking back at his career having just collected a wage (a wage that will leave him a multi millionaire and never have to work a day in his life again when he retires)

Sometimes players lose their drive, in the world of elite professional sports….it’s hardly un common.

It’s just frustrating for fans to witness a useless player earn his millions each year with zero contribution to the team, but unfortunately for the fans, that’s not his problem.
If he didn't care I doubt he'd have worked to come back and be available like he did last season.

Muninman

Maybe it's like one of those Hammer horror films where nothing good will happen so long as he is in the background - existing...

AlPistacho

End of an era.

Hard not to like him but then also hate the fact that him staying so long represented all that’s wrong with the club and the way its been run on a football side.

Maticmaker

So the United door is finally closing on the career of Phil Jones ( the 'Kamikaze Kid '), but it will not be quite the end of an era. That will occur when David DeGea leaves, he will be the last of the team that won the '20 times title' in 2013. These are the last two present day United players to have an EPL winners medal in their trophy cupboard.

Good luck to Phil wherever he goes, despite his terrible injury 'time outs', five United Managers Fergie, Moyes, LvG, Jose, Ole, all kept him on board, that in it itself speaks volumes for the man.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
also hate the fact that him staying so long represented all that’s wrong with the club and the way its been run on a football side.
Even with him gone there are still players who have been here for too long. Jones was the worst renewal even if he seems like an ok guy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Glazers win!

Surely he'll retire? Not a medical professional, but from what I've read, he has no meniscus and even walking is painful for him. Sounds like absolute hell. I just don't see how he can continue playing professionally.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Incredible that Jones is leaving at the same time as the Glazers…

You have to wonder if in fact Jones has been the real power behind the scenes, and Avram and Joel are just a front for Phil’s decisions. It would certainly explain a lot.

Chilling.

On a lighter note, we’ll always have this… ALWAYS -

I wish him all the best, hope he goes somewhere and actually plays some football.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If the Glazers played for Manchester United and Phil Jones owned the club we'd be in a much better position

djembatheking

Was a good player who always gave his all for the club until injuries robbed him of his best years. Hope he has more luck in the future. All the best big Phil.

Constable Odo

Haven't been able to stand the guy since he plastered his Munich tributes with his own branding and social media links years back. 13 appearances in 4 years, has milked the club for tens of millions over the last few seasons when he's known he's physically done, good riddance.

I'm always amazed that players who actually give their all for the club get shit on by United fans and guys like this get praise.

el3mel

Will we organize a testimonial for him ? He's the legendary meme of Man United football club. Put some respect under his name.

davidmichael

If the takeover is completed before July 1st then this will actually have happened.

dpansheth

best wishes to Phil. never nice to see any pro athlete suffer thru injuries like him. Be well.

Oscar Bonavena

Just wiki'ed Phil, can't believe he's only 31! He's been around for so long, I thought he was about 36!

Plus he's got 27 England caps!

I remember when he signed from Blackburn he was as very highly rated young defender, but never fulfilled his potential, obviously not helped by injuries either.

Best of luck to him in his next endeavours!

IRELANDUNITED

Hard to guess where he’ll go next. Maybe he’ll get a short term contract at Blackburn as he might still have connections there.

Strelok

All the best to him. Always have a soft spot for him. He'd have had a fantastic career with us if not for the injuries.

Tyrion

Was a good player who always gave his all for the club until injuries robbed him of his best years. Hope he has more luck in the future. All the best big Phil.
I agreed to abuse he got from fans was stupid. Criticism is fine, abuse isn't.

Tyrion

He turned down a testimonial
Apparently he didn't think anyone would turn up. I heard that from a journo on a podcast a while ago. It always stuck in my head as being quite sad. The club was a shambles during most of his time here which wasn't his fault. You can't say he didn't try and injuries aren't his fault. He's one of the few players left in our squad who won the league with us.