Phil Jones will outlast Ronaldo and the Glazers

stevoc

Is he still our number 4?! :lol: incredibly bizarre situation that'll surely never, ever be allowed to happen again.
In the clubs history since squad numbers started, only Carrick has held onto the same number longer.

Kag

The Phil Jones stick doesn’t sit right with me. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to deduce that there’s something not quite right, and I’m not sure referring to him as some kind of money-grabber is particularly fair or helpful.

He isn’t included in any media linked to the club, and there’s clearly a bit of an embargo on bringing him up during pressers through the week. That’s deliberate.

For all of its flaws, the club does well by its players. Jones will leave eventually, and I can well imagine it will be through the support of the club.

redcucumber

There was a article about his operation and his knee injury. The lateral and medial meniscus is gone completely. This layer is the padding between the bones of the bottom of the femur and the top of the fibula. Without it the bones grind against each other. It is supposed to be really really painful for everyday life never mind football.
He played for us last season, he actually got man of the match. I find it hard to believe that he won't be able to walk normally again, I certainly hope that isn't the case.

Maticmaker

It’s mad how Phil Jones has survived under like 6 managers
Perhaps they were all conned by Phil, all six of them? Or perhaps he offers something that no one outside the club actually sees... oh yes I see what it is, he is only one of the two remaining players still in contract, who ever won anything with the club... that must be it, he's the clubs equivalent of a 'rabbit's foot' ...

Trequarista10

The Phil Jones stick doesn’t sit right with me. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to deduce that there’s something not quite right, and I’m not sure referring to him as some kind of money-grabber is particularly fair or helpful.

He isn’t included in any media linked to the club, and there’s clearly a bit of an embargo on bringing him up during pressers through the week. That’s deliberate.

For all of its flaws, the club does well by its players. Jones will leave eventually, and I can well imagine it will be through the support of the club.
My guess would be there's some dispute between the club and medical insurers.

Agree entirely with your post. The loudest and snarkest voices are those with zero insight into the details of the situation.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There was a article about his operation and his knee injury. The lateral and medial meniscus is gone completely. This layer is the padding between the bones of the bottom of the femur and the top of the fibula. Without it the bones grind against each other. It is supposed to be really really painful for everyday life never mind football.
That seems pretty hard to believe knowing the modern medicine, especially since he played football after the operation? He was also training regularly, I am not sure why he didn't retire if that was the case instead of opting for continuing training and playing because the way it's described it's not going to magically appear again?

It could well be truth though, I am not saying you are lying or something like that, but I find it hard to believe.

dinostar77

That seems pretty hard to believe knowing the modern medicine, especially since he played football after the operation? He was also training regularly, I am not sure why he didn't retire if that was the case instead of opting for continuing training and playing because the way it's described it's not going to magically appear again?

It could well be truth though, I am not saying you are lying or something like that, but I find it hard to believe.
https://www.90min.com/posts/man-utd...-hell-criticism-rio-ferdinand-losing-his-mind

"....However, the meniscus was so badly damaged that the surgeon was forced to remove it altogether, meaning his bones would rub together inside the joint. That caused serious pain when making sideways movements, and the issue eventually caught up with Jones..."

What is the Meniscus?
The menisci are essential shock absorbers for the joint. They are also important for normal gait and stability of the knee.

Young athletes who have undergone a partial or full meniscectomy due to a meniscus injury or prior non-treated ACL tears have a very high chance of developing osteoarthritis later in life, which has been found to be between 65% to 90% of the time.

"....Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease that worsens over time, often resulting in chronic pain. Joint pain and stiffness can become severe enough to make daily tasks difficult. Depression and sleep disturbances can result from the pain and disability of osteoarthritis..."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351925

For people with arthritis to aid walking, options range from custom shoes, to specially designed shoe inserts called orthotics, to braces, canes, crutches, and even walkers

Kaos

No idea how he can just hold onto it, it should have been taken off him if he's not going to be involved in the squad this year.
Supposedly when we signed Varane, Ole asked Phil if he was ok giving up number 4. Phil allegedly said no.

Could be tabloid nonsense though, so take it with a pinch.

stevoc

Ryan Giggs #11 surely was longer??
That’s definitely not right. Giggs and Neville are two who had there’s longer.
That was poorly worded, I was thinking and should have said over the late to post Fergie era. If you go back to 1993 then yeah Giggs (21 years), G. Neville (15 years), Scholes (15 years) and Keane (12.5 years) all had the same number longer.

De Gea too.
They joined the same summer. So both approaching 12 years

BlueHaze

Biggest mystery in the history of the club how he stayed here for so long.

In the future, someone at the club owes us the truth about how this was able to happen.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He'll join the bidding war to buy the club, win it and nobody will ever be able to talk bad about him anymore

croadyman

Supposedly when we signed Varane, Ole asked Phil if he was ok giving up number 4. Phil allegedly said no.

Could be tabloid nonsense though, so take it with a pinch.
Varane probably wasn't that worried,mind you he should get it now Phil isn't in first team squad

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Considering he has an employment contract with the club, he should never, at any point, be accused of being a money grabber.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Isn't he due a testimonial, given he's crossed 10 years?
Yes he is entitled to one.

Unfortunately thanks to our own fans, he does not want to have one.

Its one of the more shameful moments Ive had as a fan of this club after I learned that from Phil.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Agree. I'd be lying if I denied having a giggle or two at Phil Jones as a phenomenon (barnacle-like for very little recent contribution, the faces etc.) but I don't understand holding genuine ill will towards him as a person. I refuse to believe a footballer who is driven enough to make it in the PL and be signed by United would be perfectly happy with what his career has become; earning very good money without playing any football, but at the cost of becoming an utter joke and a meme.

The medical insurance and press embargo speculation sounds like it could have legs to me. Hopefully we'll learn the full truth about what has happened as wherever the blame lies it's been an extraordinary episode, but for now based only on the little we see from our position I choose to squarely blame the higher ups at the club for allowing this and many other farcical situations to occur and continue at United post-Fergie.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Is there any hope to salvage a playing career for him? Or move him on for a fee?

I mean if there isnt then its time to just pay him off and let him go.

Farce at this point

Brophs

The One and Only
Is there any hope to salvage a playing career for him? Or move him on for a fee?

I mean if there isnt then its time to just pay him off and let him go.

Farce at this point
What’s farcical about it? He has a contract which both sides are honouring. He’s clearly blown his knee(s) to smithereens playing for us and I suspect would be unlikely to pass a medical anywhere else without the club taking a real chance on him. Do people really expect him to walk away from the last big contract he’ll have or for the club to release him despite the fact they seem to be understanding of his situation and he is very unlikely to settle for a penny less than he’s owed? Do you think he’s that bad an influence around the place?

sunama

Baghdad Bob

He might leave.
But my suspicion is that he might become a coach at the club.
Removing Jones from the club would require Saudi owners. Those guys are ruthless, don't get taken for fools and act VERY fast.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What’s farcical about it? He has a contract which both sides are honouring. He’s clearly blown his knee(s) to smithereens playing for us and I suspect would be unlikely to pass a medical anywhere else without the club taking a real chance on him. Do people really expect him to walk away from the last big contract he’ll have or for the club to release him despite the fact they seem to be understanding of his situation and he is very unlikely to settle for a penny less than he’s owed? Do you think he’s that bad an influence around the place?
We knew he was a busted flush when we gave him his last long term contract.
We knew he was next to useless, but we gave him the contract, anyway.
That is the very definition of a farce.

Brophs

The One and Only
We knew he was a busted flush when we gave him his last long term contract.
We knew he was next to useless, but we gave him the contract, anyway.
That is the very definition of a farce.
That’s different to what @McGrathsipan is arguing, though, as far as I can tell. I think we can all agree he shouldn’t have gotten that contract and it hasn’t aged well, but the idea that we should give him a free for no reason, other than making a statement, just seems pointlessly vindictive to me. I’m sure the club would be happy to see him move on. Personally, though, I don’t see any issue with allowing him to see out his contract and have the benefit of doctors etc. during that time.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The part about us paying him off not register with you?

For clarity what I mean is that the club should pay him off - i.e. pay him the value of his contract and let him go if there is no hope of him salvaging a playing career.
He has a contract so it should be honoured, I dont disagree and I can only assume they think they can salvage him as a player

Brophs

The One and Only
The part about us paying him off not register with you?

For clarity what I mean is that the club should pay him off - i.e. pay him the value of his contract and let him go if there is no hope of him salvaging a playing career.
He has a contract so it should be honoured, I dont disagree and I can only assume they think they can salvage him as a player
I dealt with that by mentioning us releasing him.

They plainly don’t think they can salvage him. You need only look at his appearances and registration. But he’s got a contract which might be his last anywhere. Why would he take a penny less? Why would do that to a player who’s been here this long? We all know he’ll he off in the summer. I don’t see the need for shoving him out the door now, when no one even slightly benefits.

redcucumber

I dealt with that by mentioning us releasing him.

They plainly don’t think they can salvage him. You need only look at his appearances and registration. But he’s got a contract which might be his last anywhere. Why would he take a penny less? Why would do that to a player who’s been here this long? We all know he’ll he off in the summer. I don’t see the need for shoving him out the door now, when no one even slightly benefits.
I don't begrudge him seeing out his contract until the last. I did find it really weird that he turned down a move to Bordeaux last season in January for a short term loan, on the grounds that he wanted to 'stay and fight for his place in the team' (sure thing Phil!). He obviously has no interest in football at this point which is fair enough.

Blood Mage

Pretty incredible that he's still here. I'm convinced he'll never leave, he's moved his family into the Carrington treatment room.

Robindinho

Press conference for the FA cup vs Reading. Almost in February, not seen him all season and a journalist wants a random Phil Jones update?! :confused: :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's clear his knee is shot and the club are just doing him a favour by letting him ride it out until he can retire.

I guess they know he won't get another club. Shame he couldn't have a proper end to his career really.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
His playing career looks to be unfortunately over. I would be surprised if he plays again and if he does then I imagine he will be injured again no time. I feel sorry for Phil, I know people will bring up his wages but money has nothing to do with how injuries can effect a player mentally. I think we can all agree that Jones is a player that gave everything on the pitch and his effort was never in question. I'm sure he's devastated with how his career has turned out.

M15 Red.

I recently found a lock of his pubic hair at the bottom of my cravat draw. He gave it to me as souvenir gift just after his debut on 9/11.

I'm open to offers.

r1z3mu

Just curious if we can accumulate his salary (last 5 years) and divide by number of games he played. He is probably as expensive as top players in PL (per game).