Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_Cubed

He’s a footballer and you’re not. Get over it.
Judging a player who is coming back from a serious injury and trying to get fitness back by money is immature
Judging? What? Are you high? A serious injury? This guy refuses to leave the club after missing 2 years with injury and refused to give up the#4 shirt. Are you Phil's father?

R_Cubed

One of the strange things with Jones is that it's never been clear what the last 18 months of injuries have been.

What?
Google Phil Jones says Solskjaer would be sacked in the morning. Too much shady things surround someone who never plays and seems to have a massive ego.

DoomSlayer

Anyone seen the tiktok video of him getting a new haircut? It's beyond a tragicomedy at this point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Google Phil Jones says Solskjaer would be sacked in the morning. Too much shady things surround someone who never plays and seems to have a massive ego.
How about you just link your source. Is it from the sun or the daily fail?
Judging? What? Are you high? A serious injury? This guy refuses to leave the club after missing 2 years with injury and refused to give up the#4 shirt. Are you Phil's father?
He shouldn't have gotten the deal, but expecting a player to willingly give up his salary because he has a job related injury is ridiculous. It's a major reason players sign multi year deals in the first place.

Why would he leave the club and leave 2 years worth of salary on the table? The club could pay him off if they wanted. They haven't, meaning he's not having a negative influence on anyone and there's a small chance he can make a comeback.

He should've given up his number, but Varane isn't gonna play any worse with an extra digit.

Robbie Boy

There's nothing poor about Phil. He makes what only about the top 0.25% of people in The UK make. He has not played in about 18 months and has collected 7.2 million pounds in that time. Nothing poor about this man. Rich, Phil. Very, very rich Phil.
I mean, I was referring to the amount of unnecessary shit he gets. He's always come across very likeable and modest. We should have cut our losses with him a long time ago, but we didn't, and that's not on him.

lilcurt

I mean, I was referring to the amount of unnecessary shit he gets. He's always come across very likeable and modest. We should have cut our losses with him a long time ago, but we didn't, and that's not on him.
How has he come across likable and modest? He is picking up a massive wage for nothing, if he was modest maybe he would do a Willian at Arsenal and rip up his contract?

Robbie Boy

How has he come across likable and modest? He is picking up a massive wage for nothing, if he was modest maybe he would do a Willian at Arsenal and rip up his contract?
I don't see how him picking up wages we gave him says anything about his character. I can only judge how I see him through the media etc, and he's always come across a decent sort. He doesn't stir up controversy and in interviews, he always came across well. As I said, it's the clubs issue he's still here, not his.

Atheist

Giving a new contract to Jones was probably the most inept decision Ole has made in his tenure so far. Mind boggling honestly.

DoomSlayer

So suddenly speaking bad about Jones is against the rules, because Ole publicly tried to defend him? I remember reading things 10 times worse than what is said right now, yet noone was banned for it.

Has Jones not earned 10s of millions from the club already? I personally agree with Rio, I think Jones should have the professional dignity to leave on his own, the club have done enough to help him and even went overboard with it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So suddenly speaking bad about Jones is against the rules, because Ole publicly tried to defend him? I remember reading things 10 times worse than what is said right now, yet noone was banned for it.

Has Jones not earned 10s of millions from the club already? I personally agree with Rio, I think Jones should have the professional dignity to leave on his own, the club have done enough to help him and even went overboard with it.
How is defending Jones ANYTHING to do with what Ole did or didn’t say. What a huge leap.
Just because we’re not all twats like Rio was on this occasion. He went totally over the top. “I wouldn’t talk to him” really Rio? surely to god you’d know what alienating a player does to squad harmony? Shocking from Rio who should know better and shocking from some of our fans.
“support” eh

golden_blunder

Staff
Giving a new contract to Jones was probably the most inept decision Ole has made in his tenure so far. Mind boggling honestly.
The decision was made before Ole. Besides that Jones has been playing and was in the England squad but don’t let that stop you

sp_107

Dont think its Ole's choice, Our owners got a soft sport for Martial/Jones for a long time. Honestly Jones would have gone long time back.

crossy1686

career ending
Every time I see this thread bumped it depresses me. Leave the poor lad alone, he's had some serious injuries, his mental health is probably shot to bits. He doesn't need some nobheads from the internet giving him abuse every day of the week. Why is this thread still open? It's just a place we people come to moan about him still being alive.

DoomSlayer

How is defending Jones ANYTHING to do with what Ole did or didn’t say. What a huge leap.
Just because we’re not all twats like Rio was on this occasion. He went totally over the top. “I wouldn’t talk to him” really Rio? surely to god you’d know what alienating a player does to squad harmony? Shocking from Rio who should know better and shocking from some of our fans.
“support” eh
This was such a soft comment on Jones, compared to what people used to say about him when he was playing. I think you are being unfair.

Andersonson

Source?

This is complete bullshit and fake idiotic Twitter gossip

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I swear people don't live in the real world when they think a guy on his last big contract, who is probably heading for early retirement after us, would just write off his massive contract!

BorisManUtd

Some respect for one of few players in our squad who actually won the Premier League with us :)

DoomSlayer

I swear people don't live in the real world when they think a guy on his last big contract, who is probably heading for early retirement after us, would just write off his massive contract!
And you think this should stop people from questioning the Jones situation? Both the club and the player deserve the criticism they get, this is the nature of the biggest clubs in the world. We can't just allow passengers in the squad and act as a charity. Why is Jones so different to any player that has been sold or released by the club? Don't they also have mental health problems?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Rich people do have problems! They are as human and prone to folly and misfortune as much as you and I. However, Phil has allegedly refused loans, refused to give up a shirt number and was seen on video criticizing Solskjaer to Ed Woodward because Solskjaer wasn't picking him when he felt that he was "fit". This is part of the reason Rio went in on him. Do I agree with how Rio handled it? No, I do not. However, Phil has flaws and it's hard to be sympathetic to him if even just one of these stories are true. It shows a $ h I T T Y individual who has narcissistic traits.

I'm going to need a link to verify this claim, because this is the first Im hearing about it.

golden_blunder

Staff
This was such a soft comment on Jones, compared to what people used to say about him when he was playing. I think you are being unfair.
What Rio said was soft? It goes against professional team building. I’d wager it’s one of the worst things you could say

crossy1686

career ending

Pronewbie

Peep
The blokes been severely injured for years. I would hope your work place show you more empathy than you have for others should you ever fall ill or injure yourself and be unable to work.
They did not. And it was much more toxic than that. I also left willingly to avoid being a burden for too long.

But to your point, I'm unaware of him being injured for the past.. I don't know.. 4 years now? Has he really been injured for that long? And at some point we have to cut things off no? 4 years of wages is enough empathy surely?

crossy1686

career ending
They did not. I also left willingly to avoid being a burden for too long.
Ah so this is the classic circle of abuse. Someone did me wrong so I want to see other people wronged as well?

I'm sorry that happened to you, genuinely, I am, but the reality is we're probably not paying Jones full wages if he's injured. As much as people like to state time and time again about the board being idiots, there's no way he's not on some sort of pay as you play or reduced salary if injured contract. In fact, I bet insurance is even paying a fair whack of his salary. We're not privy to the details obviously but I find it impossible to believe he's stealing anything from us.

Pronewbie

Peep
Ah so this is the classic circle of abuse. Someone did me wrong so I want to see other people wronged as well?

I'm sorry that happened to you, genuinely, I am, but the reality is we're probably not paying Jones full wages if he's injured. As much as people like to state time and time again about the board being idiots, there's no way he's not on some sort of pay as you play or reduced salary if injured contract. In fact, I bet insurance is even paying a fair whack of his salary. We're not privy to the details obviously but I find it impossible to believe he's stealing anything from us.
Not at all. I also edited my post to respond to your point. It's just that, while I can empathise being in that position, it's the duration of his "injury time" that makes me think this way. I could be wrong, I wasn't following United closely for a couple of years. But it feels like he's been doing nothing at the club for many years now.

Has he genuinely be injured all this while (4 - 5 years)? It's certainly the club's fault for offering the contract. Maybe the coaches and him believe he can still compete at the top level. I certainly hope so, otherwise it is what I've mentioned.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They did not. And it was much more toxic than that. I also left willingly to avoid being a burden for too long.

But to your point, I'm unaware of him being injured for the past.. I don't know.. 4 years now? Has he really been injured for that long? And at some point we have to cut things off no? 4 years of wages is enough empathy surely?
Most work situations don't involve signing a contract for a fixed amount of years.
That was our mistake, and we have to live with it, or pay him off. Simple as that.

It's utterly ludicrous to think a guy who isn't even 30 yet, with no guaranteed future source of earnings would write off what is very obviously the last big contract of his life.
Many, many a footballer has splurged their fortune and ended up bankrupt, before you say he could live off what he's earnt already.

Pronewbie

Peep
Most work situations don't involve signing a contract for a fixed amount of years.
That was our mistake, and we have to live with it, or pay him off. Simple as that.

It's utterly ludicrous to think a guy who isn't even 30 yet, with no guaranteed future source of earnings would write off what is very obviously the last big contract of his life.
Many, many a footballer has splurged their fortune and ended up bankrupt, before you say he could live off what he's earnt already.
He has every right not to contractually. Like I shared, though, Willian did. So it's not as far-fetched as it sounds. Responsibility and integrity would be the key values here. I certainly hope he has them in spades and has been fighting hard to get back into the team.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Oh shut up. Just shut up.

Willian got a $14 MILLION pound signing bonus from Arsenal on top of a annual salary of £5,200,000. He's made more than £66 million pounds over his career in the Premier League. AND he's not tearing up his contract to retire, he's tearing it up to move clubs. Yes he IS leaving money on the table, but he's beyond set financially for life. He also enjoy the luxury of good physical health, something which Phil Jones has been struggling with.

Now, Phil Jones has enough money to splurge around on new cars with a annual salary of £3,900,000 - But his next contract will be 20k a week, if he's lucky. Or with the injury problems he's had, early retirement.

This notion that a contracted player somehow owns it to one of the biggest football clubs in the world with owners who collect well over £20m in annual dividends to cancel his contract so he won't "block someones path" to the first team, is... you know I don't even know what to say, its so dumb it lacks words. He's not bankrupting his boyhood club, he's taking salary form a club whose budget is so big it spends more on toiletpaper at Old Trafford in a fiscal year.

There's some type of weird fetish where parts of our fanbase imagines that the club just keeps Jones at the club for no reason, Phil Jones himself has the magical power to block Varane from having his shirtnumber, and he's actively blocking talents from getting a CB slot, as if they were in line to take it away from Lindelöf and Bailly anyway who are our goddamn bench options.

The club keeps telling everyone he's got knee issues, but nooo, that is not enough. Its a conspiracy, Phil Jones actually is healthy, he's just refusing to go on loan and play because he totally has that option, it would not be a violation of his contractual obligations to not play football.

I think renewing Phil Jones' contract was a mistake based on his on pitch performance, but god damnit if we're going to stoop to the level of absolute cretins and pretend reality doesn't exist and we can just make shit up and accuse the player of club of every evildoing under the sun.

DoomSlayer

So suddenly financial illiteracy or irresponsibility of players is a fault of the clubs? Are you seriously implying that wasting your millions from being 11 years at Manchester United is some sort of a logical excuse? :houllier:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has every right not to contractually. Like I shared, though, Willian did. So it's not as far-fetched as it sounds. Responsibility and integrity would be the key values here. I certainly hope he has them in spades and has been fighting hard to get back into the team.
Willian's situation is different, and thus irrelevant I'm afraid.
He'll probably play on for many years and trouser a similarly high wage elsewhere.

Pronewbie

Peep
So suddenly financial illiteracy or irresponsibility of players is a fault of the clubs? Are you seriously implying that wasting your millions from being 11 years at Manchester United is some sort of a logical excuse? :houllier:
One of the constant things on my mind as I continued my recovery was to sort out my finances, including planning for a future where I may not draw a salary for a prolonged period of time. Jones' had a couple years to plan for that.

I certainly hope he's not "stealing a living" but from what I've read (which may not be true, granted), he's not really put in the effort.

Pronewbie

Peep
Oh shut up. Just shut up.

Willian got a $14 MILLION pound signing bonus from Arsenal on top of a annual salary of £5,200,000. He's made more than £66 million pounds over his career in the Premier League. AND he's not tearing up his contract to retire, he's tearing it up to move clubs. Yes he IS leaving money on the table, but he's beyond set financially for life. He also enjoy the luxury of good physical health, something which Phil Jones has been struggling with.

Now, Phil Jones has enough money to splurge around on new cars with a annual salary of £3,900,000 - But his next contract will be 20k a week, if he's lucky. Or with the injury problems he's had, early retirement.

This notion that a contracted player somehow owns it to one of the biggest football clubs in the world with owners who collect well over £20m in annual dividends to cancel his contract so he won't "block someones path" to the first team, is... you know I don't even know what to say, its so dumb it lacks words. He's not bankrupting his boyhood club, he's taking salary form a club whose budget is so big it spends more on toiletpaper at Old Trafford in a fiscal year.

There's some type of weird fetish where parts of our fanbase imagines that the club just keeps Jones at the club for no reason, Phil Jones himself has the magical power to block Varane from having his shirtnumber, and he's actively blocking talents from getting a CB slot, as if they were in line to take it away from Lindelöf and Bailly anyway who are our goddamn bench options.

The club keeps telling everyone he's got knee issues, but nooo, that is not enough. Its a conspiracy, Phil Jones actually is healthy, he's just refusing to go on loan and play because he totally has that option, it would not be a violation of his contractual obligations to not play football.

I think renewing Phil Jones' contract was a mistake based on his on pitch performance, but god damnit if we're going to stoop to the level of absolute cretins and pretend reality doesn't exist and we can just make shit up and accuse the player of club of every evildoing under the sun.
Fair enough. I hope it's just a conspiracy. It's not easy being down and hearing all these untruths floating around.

Andersonson

To many morons here believing shite from sources like teamtalk etc.

If you think Jones was saying sacked in the morning in front of the CEO and Grant you are plain silly.

Imagine a player sitting in the stands saying that and the reserve goalie sitting next to you doesn't even move or say anything.

This thread is full of conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.