Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I can understand questioning his appointment over his lack of knowledge of the women's game... but think doing so over his lack of coaching/management experience is a bit wide of the mark. Hope Powell managed the England Women for 15 years and her previous coaching experience was a UEFA B Licence and doing some coaching at soccer camps in the US.
Yes but 15 years ago it was a much lower profile job.

arnoldS

Laughable really how he get's a shitstorm now for making some shity jokes on twitter. I wonder how some people get through life when they are so easily offended?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZupZup

Yes but 15 years ago it was a much lower profile job.
And I expect part of the reason he got the job is because he will raise that profile even further which will benefit the women's game longer term. As long as he gets a good team around him with better knowledge of women's football to complement his own experiences in playing and coaching, I don't see an issue.

It's only because Phil is higher profile that this criticism of the appointment is being voiced.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's a shit appointment but not because he's a man.
If he was a distinguished manager at either women's or men's level then it would've made a bit of sense, but appointing him smacks in the face of aspiring female coaches in England.

Last edited:

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
This would end well I see. Why would a male coach gets to manage a female team anyway? As if the males can perfectly understand females. Just by not experiencing what a women experience once a month is enough to have a disconnect, amongst plenty of other things. Coaching is as much about motivation as it is about tactics. Let women manages women team I'll say.

Also a motivational pat on back or a friendly hug and sexual assault is a thin white line.
Men coach women and (more rarely) women coach men in tennis just fine. There's always a disconnect between people, regardless of their sexes.

On another point, can the BBC stop appointing these women reviewing men's football. Political claptrap gone mad. Cannot go on final score without at least one on, & even had a presenter yapping last week as well, & had to turn over to SKY. Thankfully, SKY hasn't been taken over by Political Correctness madness.
'Yapping'. I'm not sure the BBC's the one with the problem.

It's a bad appointment because he hasn't come close to earning it. It's not just that he lacks experience but that his experiences have been poor.

The tweets are dumb but not every dumb thing needs to be a reason for public excoriation.

POF

I'm amazed at all of the criticism of the appointment. Yes, he's seen as a bit of an idiot and is a figure of fun but his credentials stack up. He's coached at Manchester United and Valencia, two of the biggest club sides in Europe, and has played at the highest level for the majority of his career winning multiple major honours.

But he's not good enough to coach the England woman's team? What other candidates were better qualified? I think this is a major coup and might even generate some more interest in the team.

Needham

So you basically can't suggest any female candidate who's better qualified than Phil Neville.
Us randoms on the internet can't but whoevers job it is to make the appointment was surely informed enough to know more. The woman's game has been running plenty long enough for there to be numerous retired players with scores of caps able to do the job. And if not I'd still give the job to @balaks mum before Phil Nev.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Never heard of her. What makes her better qualified for the job than Phil Neville?
Oh you have never heard of her - ok so she is obviously not capable. This is entirely the problem. Phil Neville is a 'name' so he must be better than some woman I've never heard of right?

Last edited:

redshaw

Maybe the spelling and grammar mistakes were more embarrassing for him. "would of"

I hope his coaching role at United and elsewhere has helped him but his appointment seems like a slap in the face to others who might be more qualified. Maybe his jokey style will bring the dressing room together.

rocks13

Oh you have never heard of her - ok so she is obviously not capable.
That didn't really answer my question. I suspect you'd never heard of her either until you did a frantic google search to find the name of a female football coach.

rocks13

Us randoms on the internet can't but whoevers job it is to make the appointment was surely informed enough to know more. The woman's game has been running plenty long enough for there to be numerous retired players with scores of caps able to do the job. And if not I'd still give the job to @balaks mum before Phil Nev.
Phil Neville is a retired player with scores of caps. Would it not be sexist to exclude him just because he's male if he as qualified as these imaginary candidates of yours.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That didn't really answer my question. I suspect you'd never heard of her either until you did a frantic google search to find the name of a female football coach.
She is the current manager of Scotland - I had known about her because she is also the first woman to manage a league team. Sorry to disappoint. She is also vastly more experienced in all the aspects of what is required to be a manager of an international woman's team than Phil Neville. The fact you assumed there couldnt possibly be a single woman in the world more qualified than Phil Neville shows at best ignorance but at worst sexism.

Needham

Phil Neville is a retired player with scores of caps. Would it not be sexist to exclude him just because he's male if he as qualified as these imaginary candidates of yours.
Not imaginary, presumptive. And yeah, shoot me. I'd give the job to a woman.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sexist to exclude him because he's male but not to exclude him for sexism much less having zero experience coaching or being involved with women's football. It's ridiculous he was hired but the Nevilles have been the beneficiary of opportunities without having merited any of them

rocks13

She is the current manager of Scotland - I had known about her because she is also the first woman to manage a league team. Sorry to disappoint. She is also vastly more experienced in all the aspects of what is required to be a manager of an international woman's team than Phil Neville. The fact you assumed there couldnt possibly be a single woman in the world more qualified than Phil Neville shows at best ignorance but at worst sexism.
So less than a year as Scotland manager makes her 'vastly experienced as a manager of an international woman's team'.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Shelley Kerr - if you really want me to name somebody - why does it have to be a woman?
Who says she even wants it? A number of managers have turned down the position. She is managing her own country which she represented and has spent almost the entirety of her playing and managing career in. Who says she wants to give up managing her own country after only a few months?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who says she even wants it? A number of managers have turned down the position. She is managing her own country which she represented and has spent almost the entirety of her playing and managing career in. Who says she wants to give up managing her own country after only a few months?
That is irrelevant - he stated there wasnt a woman in the world who could possibly be more qualified for the job than Phil Neville - I was able to provide one.

rocks13

Compared to Phil Neville? Yes absolutely.
So on that basis if the England men's job came up you would consider Ryan Gigg's time as Wales manager to make him more qualified than, for example, Jose Mourinho who has never managed an international team?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
On another point, can the BBC stop appointing these women reviewing men's football. Political claptrap gone mad. Cannot go on final score without at least one on, & even had a presenter yapping last week as well, & had to turn over to SKY. Thankfully, SKY hasn't been taken over by Political Correctness madness.
Sky have been employing women to talk about Sports for a long, long time. The SSN panel is practically equal, and they've got a number of women matchday reporters doing Soccer Saturday and the midweek games now.

It's odd that you chalk it up to "political correctness" but you were seemingly so offended by a woman talking about football that you had to change the channel. I don't think your issue anything to do with political correctness.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So on that basis if the England men's job came up you would consider Ryan Gigg's time as Wales manager to make him more qualified than, for example, Jose Mourinho who has never managed an international team?
lol how did you come to that conclusion? Comparing Jose to Phil now? Seriously clutching at straws. Your argument (I've heard of Phil Neville) is rubbish, just admit it. At least that lady I mentioned has managed a men's team - Phil Neville hasnt and has also managed an international team which Phil Neville hasnt.

devil in me

Sexist to exclude him because he's male but not to exclude him for sexism much less having zero experience coaching or being involved with women's football. It's ridiculous he was hired but the Nevilles have been the beneficiary of opportunities without having merited any of them
Cant agree with this. If you spend 20 odd years (talking Gary here) at one of the worlds biggest clubs, being a mainstay in their most successful ever period, with a large amount of England caps, then I'd say you probably deserve the certain opportunities that he's been given.

rocks13

lol how did you come to that conclusion? Comparing Jose to Phil now? Seriously clutching at straws. Your argument (I've heard of Phil Neville) is rubbish, just admit it.
Alternatively, we could say that your argument that there are lots of better female candidates simply because their female is fairly rubbish and sexist.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Cant agree with this. If you spend 20 odd years (talking Gary here) at one of the worlds biggest clubs, being a mainstay in their most successful ever period, with a large amount of England caps, then I'd say you probably deserve the certain opportunities that he's been given.
Doesn’t translate to being a qualified candidate much less coach, history is littered with examples in every sport

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How about comparing the coaching credentials of someone with Phil's playing career (and hardly any managing) to a woman with substantial managerial experience in women's football at either club or national level?

redshaw

He's coached England u21s, Manchester United under Moyes and at Valencia. He has a Uefa B licence.

These aren't ringing endorsements and I'm not saying he should get the job or is worthy but he does have experience.

rocks13

lol how did you come to that conclusion? Comparing Jose to Phil now? Seriously clutching at straws. Your argument (I've heard of Phil Neville) is rubbish, just admit it. At least that lady I mentioned has managed a men's team - Phil Neville hasnt and has also managed an international team which Phil Neville hasnt.
So by that logic how can anyone ever get a first job in management if your criteria for selection is simply based on the fact that another candidate has done it before?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Alternatively, we could say that your argument that there are lots of better female candidates simply because their female is fairly rubbish and sexist.
You are the one constantly bringing it back to woman not me - I've said that a man could easily also be more qualified for the job than Phil Neville. You are going around in circles.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So by that logic how can anyone ever get a first job in management if your criteria for selection is simply based on the fact that another candidate has done it before?
First job in management is not normally an international high level job though is it? At least Giggs spent a bit of time as Utd manager. Neville has done nothing.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
He's coached England u21's, Manchester United under Moyes and at Valencia. He has a Uefa B licence.

These aren't ringing endorsements and I'm not saying he should get the job or is worthy but he does have experience.
Being part of the staff for an abbreviated term does not equate to coaching/managing a team at any level