Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

rocks13

First job in management is not normally an international high level job though is it? At least Giggs spent a bit of time as Utd manager. Neville has done nothing.
Giggs had 3 games as Utd manager. You're really clutching at straws there.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
First job in management is not normally an international high level job though is it? At least Giggs spent a bit of time as Utd manager. Neville has done nothing.
Three games. Phil has spent more time coaching and working directly with players than Giggs has done.

Clearly the appointment though had more to do with profile that Phil Neville would bring but he has his own merits.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Giggs had 3 games as Utd manager. You're really clutching at straws there.
I also believe that Giggs shouldnt have got the Wales job for the same reasons as Neville but even at that pathetically low level of management experience it still craps all over Phil Neville's.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Three games. Phil has spent more time coaching and working directly with players than Giggs has done.

Clearly the appointment though had more to do with profile that Phil Neville would bring but he has his own merits.
So coaching is the same as being a team manager now?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
So coaching is the same as being a team manager now?
Generally one leads to the other. Plus international managers are more coaches than managers anyway as they have less of the off field matters to deal with.

Charlie Foley

So less than a year as Scotland manager makes her 'vastly experienced as a manager of an international woman's team'.
Not to say I'm agreeing with either side but there's a huge difference between "vastly more experienced " as he said and "vastly experienced" as you quoted him as saying.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No but they are linked. Being a coach at a top club is probably better for your experience than managing a League 2 side.
I disagree with that - it gives you no experience of being a team manager which is a different role. I'd rather see a guy (or girl) who has worked in the lower leagues learning his trade as a manager get a job before somebody who has been a coach at a top club. Maybe that's just me.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would anyone in their right mind appoint this gorp as a manager? Serves them right.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why was he getting the job anyway? Is there not a queue of experienced female coaches, who've worked their way up for years managing women's teams to success? Why would you just go and appoint Phil Neville?

rocks13

I disagree with that - it gives you no experience of being a team manager which is a different role. I'd rather see a guy (or girl) who has worked in the lower leagues learning his trade as a manager get a job before somebody who has been a coach at a top club. Maybe that's just me.
I think so.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon

I'm not sure that's true, is it?

rocks13

Why was he getting the job anyway? Is there not a queue of experienced female coaches, who've worked their way up for years managing women's teams to success? Why would you just go and appoint Phil Neville?
Apparently. But no one seems to be sure who they are.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Unfortunately not no, quite a lot of the people that the FA wanted turned down the chance to take the role (one even went to the Canadian men's team from their excellent women's side), so it was fast becoming a job where no-one really wanted it, so in a way Phil got it purely because he seemed to have been the only person who said yes to the job, male or female.

It would have been great if Laura Harvey, or Emma Hayes for example would have taken it, but that was not to be the case, and with Cushing also ruling himself out, the pool of options for the FA was quite small indeed.

Hopefully with Kelly Smith, Stoney, Alex Scott all coming to the end of their respective playing careers (and indeed in one or two cases having already ended them), they can eventually get some high level coaching experience, so that one day they can have the required knowledge to take over from Phil.

I just think that this was a point in time whereby the FA were stuck between a rock and a hard place (partly of their own making), they needed someone in the role (especially with the upcoming She Believes Cup fast approaching), but others were fast ruling themselves out, so when they got a chance to hire someone with a bit of name recognition, then I think for the short term, they took it.

If this had happened say two years in the future, then you would have a fair few ex-players ready and able to take over, but unfortunately that isn't the case currently, and hence why I think that this stop gap appointment was made.

I can see a fair amount of easing him out in a year, maybe two's time, for one of the ex-players like a Stoney or a Scott to take over, hence why I think that they may indeed be part of his coaching set-up.

Whilst of course this doesn't look too good right now, there really was not too many other options, especially when Mo Marley, the current interim head coach said she didn't want the role, and preferred to go back to her old job with the younger players, so I can see why they opted for Phil despite his obvious lack of coaching experience.

It was and is just an awkward situation all round, but one that hopefully will be smoothed over in the next year or so.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Ian Dennis, the BBC journalist said he was with Phil was last week and he told him he was off Twitter; which is clearly bollocks as he's started following all the women players since; which you wouldn't do if you were not on, or even planning on quitting within a few days.

Second point is that I don't understand how someone with such a lack of experience has managed to get this type of position. It's almost as if they're not taking it seriously, and just want people focusing on the women's game now they have a man with a slight profile within football.

montpelier

Strange appointment. Just seems like an attempt to put a big name in to drum up interest in a minority sport.
yeah in a way, he's a big name who will bring professionalism etc, one would presume - the FA is making a statement about how seriously it takes women's footy & so on - it's the underlying assumption that women-footy needs to be just like bloke-footy that is the problem for me

don't think he's written this apology either, tbh

Zoo

Those are tweets are shocking. He’s a grown man ffs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never heard of her. What makes her better qualified for the job than Phil Neville?
Mo Marley I thought should have been appointed. She’s worked with the same players at youth levels. This is currently a very talented crop of English players. One of the best teams in the world, I hope this appointment makes the most of the talent available.

rocks13

Mo Marley I thought should have been appointed. She’s worked with the same players at youth levels. This is currently a very talented crop of English players. One of the best teams in the world, I hope this appointment makes the most of the talent available.
According to Redrom she wasn't interested in the job.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
According to Redrom she wasn't interested in the job.
She applied for the role but then withdrew it. Who knows why, but it’s a shame as she should have been given or shown more confidence by the FA.

Emma Hayes would have been my first choice but I guess she’s comfortable at Chelsea and they wouldn’t want her to leave.

ZAGREB RED

You wonder how it will go for him in the job, he has a mark against his name before he has even started. Why do they not just appoint a woman to the job, although I suppose that could be perceived as prejudiced/discriminatory if they did and only considered women candidates for the post. I don't say that in a way that is meant to be condescending or dismissive of women's football, just that if they had a female coach they could see how it goes and avoid all these types of scandals arising from having a male in the job.
The last coach left under a cloud and now Neville has raised a bit of a storm before he has even got his feet under the desk, which means everything he does will be under even more scrutiny than it normally would be.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
You wonder how it will go for him in the job, he has a mark against his name before he has even started. Why do they not just appoint a woman to the job, although I suppose that could be perceived as prejudiced/discriminatory if they did and only considered women candidates for the post. I don't say that in a way that is meant to be condescending or dismissive of women's football, just that if they had a female coach they could see how it goes and avoid all these types of scandals arising from having a male in the job.
The last coach left under a cloud and now Neville has raised a bit of a storm before he has even got his feet under the desk, which means everything he does will be under even more scrutiny than it normally would be.

I think that the FA would have ideally wanted to appoint a female to the role, but their hands were tied somewhat when their first and even second choice candidates all pulled out, or said no.

So I am unsure to where they could have gone if they had wished to carry on and appoint a female who has had lots of experience at a high level, so this is where they found themselves, (again partly due to their own making) they had to appoint someone pretty quickly due to the upcoming She Believes Cup against some of the best sides in the world, and Phil seemingly was the only person who said yes to the job in this timeframe.

He is well known to the FA from his roles in the men's youth teams with them, plus obviously playing for the senior side on a fair few occasions, and has a fairly high profile due to his association with ourselves and Everton, so could bring media attention to the women's game with him (although obviously this current attention is not what they really wanted).

Until a suitable female candidate can be found (should hopefully have a few more, or a wider pool to select from in a year or two's time), this is probably the best that they could have done under the circumstances, of course it is not ideal in any way whatsoever, but when only one person says yes to the job what really could they have done?

If for example Emma Hayes, Laura Harvey or any of their main choices had said yes, then Phil would have never been in this position, but that unfortunately wasn't the case (and with Emma's upcoming birth, that might have played in her thoughts on saying no to the job), and we are left with having to find someone who has a degree of knowledge in coaching (which Phil does have), and who had a certain high profile, and who actually wants the job, all which Phil does tick.

I wish him nothing but great success as our manager/head coach, but I don't think he will have a long reign in charge, he is just there I think until more women are suitably qualified, and can takeover from him, and more importantly, actually want the job.
The timing of this job was just seriously unfortunate, hopefully the next time it won't be.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I agree with the idea that it's partly about raising the stature of women's football, both by making it clear that there is a viable career option there for male football managers/coaches, and also trying to draw more eyes onto the sport by bringing in someone very well known in the men's game. He's coached at Valencia and Man Utd, which to be blunt are far higher levels than women's football, so I'm not quite sure he can't do the job. Everyone needs to get their first gig in "the big chair" somewhere, and they should do so after doing various other coaching jobs, which he's done. There seems to have been some difficulty getting some of the more prominent women's coaches interested in the job for some reason, so all you can do is see how it pans out.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ian Dennis, the BBC journalist said he was with Phil was last week and he told him he was off Twitter; which is clearly bollocks as he's started following all the women players since; which you wouldn't do if you were not on, or even planning on quitting within a few days.

Second point is that I don't understand how someone with such a lack of experience has managed to get this type of position. It's almost as if they're not taking it seriously, and just want people focusing on the women's game now they have a man with a slight profile within football.
He's very shifty when it comes to social media, when he's been a pundit before he's acted dumb denying any knowledge, which is very strange.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think there is definitely a chance that they Neville has not watched a full women's Football match before taking this job.

RedBrickWall

His comments aren’t good, however I see the fashion of digging up historical tweets strikes again, people are aware views can change over time?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Well the one good thing that comes from this is I won't have to listen to him do punditry anymore

Terrible pundit lets be honest, he seems clueless about football whenever he gives his opinion

I don't think he will do a good job with the women's team either but time will tell

Westerkerk

I'm struggling to comprehend this appointment, not because I don't like Phil Neville as a pundit / ex-player - that's beyond the point - but I am really struggling to see how it pushes women's football on positively following the Aluko mess. Women's football is on the 'up' popularity wise, on a worldwide scale, but we also have some fantastic female footballers in this country and a women's national team capable of winning major trophies in the near future, just coming out of a bad situation. This appointment does not strengthen women's football just because an experienced male footballer has been appointed. It undermines it in my opinion.

I honestly can not see him keeping this job until the next game. Knives have been out for him since he was rumoured to be in the running. His social media posts were ill-advised to say the least, but for them to come out now, when he's just been appointed, well, whether you agree that he was simply joking or not, it kind of makes his position untenable, right?

At the end of the day it is what it is. Neville might not have an active sexist agenda right now, but the things he's said in the past were horribly sexist and shows him in a light unsuitable for this post. He isn't fit for it professionally or personally.

Reactions: Sultan

GBBQ

His comments aren’t good, however I see the fashion of digging up historical tweets strikes again, people are aware views can change over time?
I think the tweets are relevant given the role is managing a women's football team.

Wilt

Ridiculous appointment, there must be a 1,000+ more qualified for that job than Neville. Wonder if he's ever actually watched them play?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Do not get P Neville wanting this job.

Forget any sexist talk but this job is such a low standard. Let’s be honest about it woman’s football, the national team, ranks so low down in the over all football standings. The quality, I’d say, is probably level 10 or 11 in the football pyramid.

Surely if he is serious about enhancing his coaching/managerial career then an attainable lower league job is the direction he should be heading. This job will finish him as a serious football man.
That happened when he made the move to Everton.