g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Philip Schofield

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Being a gay children's tv presenter was a no-no back in the 80s and 90s. Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he made a conscious effort to try settle down for the good of his career. Sad if that is the case.
Oh come on. What about Andy Peters?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
We had a client in a similar situation, married with a kid, then subsequently came out.

Ended up being caught out by one of those groups who lure gay men into grooming teenagers. Nasty business, no longer client, but for different reasons (he didn't want to pay our fees).

GBBQ

Oh come on. What about Andy Peters?
Was he openly gay? I don't remember that ever being public knowledge? Aids panic in the 80s, how the tabloids dealt with the deaths of Kenny Everett and Freddie Mercury. Even if there were some trailblazers it definitely wasn't at the level of acceptance it is now.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
His wife must feel like their whole marriage was a sham now. I Feel bad for her.

Couldn't care less about him.

macheda14

It's like people in this thread don't realise that there is a very long history of gay men having families. It's less common now, but was quite standard back when being gay was seen as having a perversion/sickness etc. Also yes his wife may feel somewhat cheated by 'spending her best years' with someone who didn't share her sexuality. However, do you think she regrets having children with him?

Why do I need to give a feck about this?
You don't need to, more why do you need to spend the effort writing about how you don't care?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s just a sad situation I think.

Lots of stories and witnesses claiming to have seen him with men over the years. Whether you are gay or straight, cheating on your wife just causes hurt and pain.

I understand internal struggles, stigma and mental health play their part, but this looks like such a painful situation for everyone involved.

I feel sorry for his wife more than anything else, and to wait until you are 57? It just seems like everyone’s valuable time on earth has been wasted.

I hope that’s not the case and that everyone in the family has felt loved and fulfilled by their time together.

It just doesn’t seem very celebratory to me.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's like people in this thread don't realise that there is a very long history of gay men having families. It's less common now, but was quite standard back when being gay was seen as having a perversion/sickness etc. Also yes his wife may feel somewhat cheated by 'spending her best years' with someone who didn't share her sexuality. However, do you think she regrets having children with him?

You don't need to, more why do you need to spend the effort writing about how you don't care?

Didn't take any effort at all. Just a bit of typing.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It’s just a sad situation I think.

Lots of stories and witnesses claiming to have seen him with men over the years. Whether you are gay or straight, cheating on your wife just causes hurt and pain.

I understand internal struggles, stigma and mental health play their part, but this looks like such a painful situation for everyone involved.

I feel sorry for his wife more than anything else, and to wait until you are 57? It just seems like everyone’s valuable time on earth has been wasted.

I hope that’s not the case and that everyone in the family has felt loved and fulfilled by their time together.

It just doesn’t seem very celebratory to me.
Tad strong? Presume you mean Phil, his wife and his children when you say everyone. I'd very much doubt that any of them feel that their 'vaulable time on earth has been wasted' unless you think people define their entire lives in such a narrow prism.

arthurka

So at the age of 57 he's come out.

I don't really get this. He had a wife and two daughters whom apparently support him and whom he obviously loves dearly. So is what's actually just happened essentially him coming out and saying at 57 I've decided I want to have sex with blokes?
Fun idea here, could he have been gay the whole time and due to social pressure and prejudice been trying to play the role society wants him to play? Better to live the rest of his life as who he is than living as someone else. Hope he has all the sex with men he wants and his family will live happy every after.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Fun idea here, could he have been gay the whole time and due to social pressure and prejudice been trying to play the role society wants him to play? Better to live the rest of his life as who he is than living as someone else. Hope he has all the sex with men he wants and his family will live happy every after.
Get out of here with your sensible, empathetic posting!

In all seriousness, well said.

Maluco

Tad strong? Presume you mean Phil, his wife and his children when you say everyone. I'd very much doubt that any of them feel that their 'vaulable time on earth has been wasted' unless you think people define their entire lives in such a narrow prism.
Yeah, I mean the family. People are very emotional at times like these. It would be very easy to feel like you had wasted time if you dedicated so much time to something that wasn’t truly real.

No one really knows for sure though, so like I said, I hope they feel like the time and energy devoted to something so major in their lives, wasn’t time wasted. Maybe his wife always knew, and still felt loved.

Just seems like such a sad situation to me for many reasons.

MadMike

I haven't seen the interview, what did he say? Was he always attracted to men or was it something that developed in him over time? Basically was in the closet all his life or not?

djembatheking

I was more shocked when I saw his keepy uppy skills on the advert. Never realised he was a baller.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah, I mean the family. People are very emotional at times like these. It would be very easy to feel like you had wasted time if you dedicated so much time to something that wasn’t truly real.

No one really knows for sure though, so like I said, I hope they feel like the time and energy devoted to something so major in their lives, wasn’t time wasted. Maybe his wife always knew, and still felt loved.

Just seems like such a sad situation to me for many reasons.
Well yeah nobody really knows they dynamics of the relationship with his wife and how much his family did or didn't know so it seems a bit silly to feel sad about it in that respect. If there's any reason to be sad surely it's that he and countless others have had to grow up in a world where they've felt unable to be accepted for who they are.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well yeah nobody really knows they dynamics of the relationship with his wife and how much his family did or didn't know so it seems a bit silly to feel sad about it in that respect. If there's any reason to be sad surely it's that he and countless others have had to grow up in a world where they've felt unable to be accepted for who they are.
Yeah, the showbiz world is famously anti-gay.

Dans

Was he openly gay? I don't remember that ever being public knowledge? Aids panic in the 80s, how the tabloids dealt with the deaths of Kenny Everett and Freddie Mercury. Even if there were some trailblazers it definitely wasn't at the level of acceptance it is now.
He might not have been openly gay but he was obviously gay, if you ask me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Do you really think if he had come out 20 years ago he'd have been hounded out of the country?
Does it have to be that extreme? He doesn't have to be chased with pitchforks for there to be social and cultural pressure.

Wal2Fra

He might not have been openly gay but he was obviously gay, if you ask me.
I agree with this. I wasn't suprised by the news, I was suprised it was news.

I was more suprised about the wife and kids bit.

Good luck to him and his family, whatever the situation is between them and however long it has been kept between them.

mancan92

Call me naive here, but if he has always been attracted to men then how was he getting aroused for sex with his wife? Surely they can't of just had intercourse when it came time to conceive, and would that not of set off alarm bells for the wife if that was the case.

Feel awful for his wife, she has basically spent all of her prime years with him and now will have to start again.
huh? its happened all through out history. do you know how many "straight" guys would get a hardon from a guy touching their piece.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm a bit surprised by some of these posts, as most of you are considerably younger than me. It's not at all unusual for gay men to be married and have children - happened often in the past when homosexuality was illegal, still happens nowadays and probably always will in some societies.

It's much easier nowadays for a young gay man to be open about his sexuality, but Schofield was young at a different time. Anyway, it's really only the concern of him and his family.

Reactions: langster

redmeister

Isn't the only reason for coming out, as the age of 57, after many years of marriage and having 2 children, is that you plan to act on it?

Isn't he effectively being "brave" by saying he's looking for sex with people that aren't his wife? I mean isn't quite normal for couples approaching 60 to have pretty sexless marriages? Isn't that just nature? I'm sure there are millions of middle aged men, whose wives are not as attractive as they were 30 years ago, who would like to come out as being into 21 year old girls, but they don't, as they love their wife and children.

Basically, why does someone get a pass for being gay? I'm not saying anyone would should be trapped in a marriage and shouldn't have the right to decide it's not for them and go looking for someone else. But it does seem that if you do this and at the same time declare you are attracted to people of the same sex, then the focus tends to be on how "brave" you are and not on your decision to drastically impact your families life. Most middle aged men just say in their marriages and those that decide they want something else, don't get praised for it.

Dans

I'm a bit surprised by some of these posts, as most of you are considerably younger than me. It's not at all unusual for gay men to be married and have children - happened often in the past when homosexuality was illegal, still happens nowadays and probably always will in some societies.

It's much easier nowadays for a young gay man to be open about his sexuality, but Schofield was young at a different time. Anyway, it's really only the concern of him and his family.
So he's a cheat basically. That's really my point here.

Devil81

Can't be an easy situation at all. Guessing he didn't realise himself for a long time and then hid it for a long time too.
Coming from someone who's Aunt was dumped with three children younger than the age of ten I can tell you what he's done is insanely selfish and he shouldn't be getting any sympathy for his actions. The fact he's gay isn't the issue here, it's the fact he's lived a complete lie and allowed his wife to waste the best years of her life offering her heart out to someone who wasn't fully attracted or loving.

Fair enough he's more than likely allowed his children to grow old before making the decision to come out and he's also going to leave his wife in a far better position than some do, but he's taken the best years of his wife's life and washed it down the drain.

Don't be at all surprised to see him selfishly parade himself around enjoying his new found gay lifestyle

Last edited:

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

How do you feel about him lying to his wife and presumably breaking his sacred vows? Getting married appears to have been a purely selfish act to protect his career.

Maluco

Living a lie is sad.

Children having to deal with fallout is sad.

The wife questioning her future and where she has invested her time is sad.

I have sympathy for anyone fighting battles like this, but if the rumors and witnesses are true, and he has been with men throughout their relationship, it’s still wrong, and it still causes hurt.

Even in the midst of our own troubles and struggles, there are still consequences to our choices and actions that effect others.

I just think it is potentially a sad situation for many different reasons. It’s never nice to know that people have potentially suffered for years for whatever reason that might be.

Like I said in my first post, I hope that isn’t the case, but I feel like pain and hurt are unavoidable with something like this.

diarm

Think people are too quick to jump to black and white conclusions when it comes to these situations.

It's not as simple as him being straight or gay or bisexual. It's a spectrum along which there are people who struggle their whole lives to pinpoint exactly where they lie. He hasn't necessarily been lying to his wife or family all along, because he may not have fully known or understood what or who he was until recently.

At the end of the day, who the feck are we to feel sorry for his wife or to have any opinions about the guy and what he could, should or might have done? She seems to be supporting him and his decision to come out, so for me, deciding to feel sorry for her is more than a little condescending. For all we know, she spent "the best years of her life" raising a family with someone she loved and has been a part of this process for him all along.

People are too quick to jump to cynical conclusions and offer unnecessary opinions about deeply personal matters these days. Why not just take his statement at face value and let them worry about the personal stuff?

mancan92

Isn't the only reason for coming out, as the age of 57, after many years of marriage and having 2 children, is that you plan to act on it?

Isn't he effectively being "brave" by saying he's looking for sex with people that aren't his wife? I mean isn't quite normal for couples approaching 60 to have pretty sexless marriages? Isn't that just nature? I'm sure there are millions of middle aged men, whose wives are not as attractive as they were 30 years ago, who would like to come out as being into 21 year old girls, but they don't, as they love their wife and children.

Basically, why does someone get a pass for being gay? I'm not saying anyone would should be trapped in a marriage and shouldn't have the right to decide it's not for them and go looking for someone else. But it does seem that if you do this and at the same time declare you are attracted to people of the same sex, then the focus tends to be on how "brave" you are and not on your decision to drastically impact your families life. Most middle aged men just say in their marriages and those that decide they want something else, don't get praised for it.
Because there is a clear difference the way society treats homosexual people and how they treat heterosexual people. So the reasons a Gay man might enter a situation like marriage is completely different why a straight man would.
It's that simple. They are completely different