Philip Schofield

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I don't get this revisionism about late 80's Britain being some sort of homophobic backwards shithole. There were many prominent homosexuals on TV and to say that it wasn't safe for him to come out is nonsense. AIDS was a huge topic which involved frank discussions about homosexual sex on primetime TV. Now I will admit that when he worked on children's TV it was probably unwise for him to be obviously gay, but when he moved from kid's TV I don't think it would have been a big deal.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Pretty much this. All for Schofe feeling empowered etc., but what a shit situation for his wife. Facing questions as to whether 30 years of marriage have been a lie and the twilight of her years possibly on her own.

Poor woman.
And what if her answer to that question is...no? Looks like sympathy and empathy are being conflated here.

Worth noting how the only women in this thread to post about it have struck a slightly different tone about it than the majority of men.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't get this revisionism about late 80's Britain being some sort of homophobic backwards shithole. There were many prominent homosexuals on TV and to say that it wasn't safe for him to come out is nonsense. AIDS was a huge topic which involved frank discussions about homosexual sex on primetime TV. Now I will admit that when he worked on children's TV it was probably unwise for him to be obviously gay, but when he moved from kid's TV I don't think it would have been a big deal.
I don't think it's much of a point either way.

How someone feels they'll be perceived is all that matters, whether it's rational, whether they'll be stoned or whether Grinner off the caf thinks it probably would have been grand.

It'll always be an entirely personal decision.

It also implies he was certain enough about it to make the decision, you simply don't know when he arrived at that state of mind.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think it's much of a point either way.

How someone feels they'll be perceived is all that matters, whether it's rational, whether they'll be stoned or whether Grinner off the caf thinks it probably would have been grand.

It'll always be an entirely personal decision.

It also implies he was certain enough about it to make the decision, you simply don't know when he arrived at that state of mind.
It's my opinion, based on not much really, that he's done all this to protect his career from day 1. Coming out now seems weird and I think he's been pushed into that rather than finally felt free to be open.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is such a non event story. Why is it even worth talking about?
I agree, everytime a massive story is made of someone coming out it actually sets any battle for equality back.

My male freind two years back never at any point announced he was gay/bisexual and out of the blue one day told me he's dating a man I said okay and within five minutes we were playing FIFA.

Stopping the big announcements and announcing a same sex partner in the same natural way you would a opposite sex one would be the biggest step towards the equality that's being craved.

Duafc

Village Lemon
It's my opinion, based on not much really, that he's done all this to protect his career from day 1. Coming out now seems weird and I think he's been pushed into that rather than finally felt free to be open.
Totally possible.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Very likely imo.

He's already indicated this is something they have discussed within the family. So it's calculated by definition.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I have heard multiple people say that were growing up in the 80's that the worst thing you could be called in school was gay and I'm not even British.

It's not even widely accepted now to be gay in England. It's evident by the low, low number of zero amount of gay footballers.

iluvoursolskjær

I have heard multiple people say that were growing up in the 80's that the worst thing you could be called in school was gay and I'm not even British.

It's not even widely accepted now to be gay in England. It's evident by the low, low number of zero amount of gay footballers.
There are so many sexualities in the media industry that it wouldn't make sense for him to be caged in by 'the times'.

Talking about a long career here.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

What does school have to do with it. I was at school in the 1980s and yes there was lots of that but that's because schoolboys are irritating little cnuts who don't know better.

Snow

What does school have to do with it. I was at school in the 1980s and yes there was lots of that but that's because schoolboys are irritating little cnuts who don't know better.
Thought I quoted this post.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The revisionism is entirely on your part if you think that the 80's was anything but that and I'd question if you even grew up here to think otherwise. "Gay" was the go to insult at any school I went to and it's so ingrained in me I have to actually check myself to stop from saying it today.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The revisionism is entirely on your part if you think that the 80's was anything but that and I'd question if you even grew up here to think otherwise. "Gay" was the go to insult at any school I went to and it's so ingrained in me I have to actually check myself to stop from saying it today.
words and deeds are very different things

Snow

There are so many sexualities in the media industry that it wouldn't make sense for him to be caged in by 'the times'.

Talking about a long career here.
You can't just separate the media industry from the whole thing. Either you are comfortable with it or not. Was his coming out free of backlash?

Snow

What goes on in a schoolyard is very different to real life. I don't understand your point.
That the 80's was indeed homophobic. Kids immitate what they see and all of them don't call each other gay as the worst insult they could think of if they are not hearing the gay bashing at home. Them using gay as insult is because the playground is treating it as an insult and why would the playground treat it as an insult if society is fine with it?

iluvoursolskjær

You can't just separate the media industry from the whole thing. Either you are comfortable with it or not. Was his coming out free of backlash?
All I heard during the morning show or pre-dominantly elsewhere is support - which I am actually really pleased for. But nuance innit.

It all gets boxed up in a package that isn't selling what it is. Because it just feels right for the SMZ's.

I don't mean to bring in shit terms that take away from serious discussion. But the industry of his employment is so pro-him I don't get this hero-status.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
That the 80's was indeed homophobic. Kids immitate what they see and all of them don't call each other gay as the worst insult they could think of if they are not hearing the gay bashing at home. Them using gay as insult is because the playground is treating it as an insult and why would the playground treat it as an insult if society is fine with it?
The 80's is when it all changed. 1988 and 1978 were light years apart in terms of attitudes to homosexuality

Snow

The 80's is when it all changed. 1988 and 1978 were light years apart in terms of attitudes to homosexuality
David Bowie probably had something to do with that but I still believe everything didn't change and there's still some way to go.

Snow

All I headed during the morning show or pre-dominant my elsewhere is support - which I am actually really pleased for. But nuance innit.

It all gets boxed up in a package that isn't selling what it is. Because it just feels right for the SMZ's.

I don't mean to bring in shit terms that take away from serious discussion. But the industry of his employment is so pro-him I don't get this hero-status.
Because these are all people that grew up where being openly gay was inconceivable. The British government fecked over one of its biggest heroes because he was gay.

Because he's in the entertainment industry is more of a reason to come out. There's still a problem with homosexuality because there are entire industries without gay people because of the stigma and commendations are still needed for something that should go without saying.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah sorry I missed those earlier posts saying basically what I said above.

The 80's was what it was. I'm not one of these people that will go back and criticise shit for the sake of it but it wasn't especially liberal. I guess it depends on your perspective because on the one hand you've got Eddie Murphy saying that only gay men get AIDS and on the other hand you've got the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure and Right Said Fred.

iluvoursolskjær

Because these are all people that grew up where being openly gay was inconceivable. The British government fecked over one of its biggest heroes because he was gay.

Because he's in the entertainment industry is more of a reason to come out. There's still a problem with homosexuality because there are entire industries without gay people because of the stigma and commendations are still needed for something that should go without saying.

Great. But there's collateral in this! It's not the same thing as a single closeted man who's had a bit of a journey till he found out. We talking flipping decades, yo!

Anyways I feel we are fragmenting in to slightly different arguments because of the way we see this very same situation.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
There's a difference between born gay and not knowing that you're gay though. My eldest didn't realise she was bi until she had dated a couple of guys and realised she was missing something in herself.
That’s fair enough I suppose being Bi could be confusing for awhile as feelings will be all over the place but on the other point to take 40 years to come to the conclusion you are gay seems like some sort of record. I refuse to believe that he didn’t realise he was a gay man in his earlier years.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
As straight men I don’t think we will ever comprehend the levels of privilege we have when it comes to sexuality. People in here criticising his choice to live a ‘lie’ instead of coming out years ago should focus their scrutiny on the societal issues that made him make that choice in the first place.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
David Bowie probably had something to do with that but I still believe everything didn't change and there's still some way to go.
Tom Robinson did more with Glad to be Gay. Was Bowie even gay? He was married to Iman in the 1980s.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
To me this story has amounted to...

Man: I’m leaving my 55 year old wife

Twitter: So brave

Balljy

We're in 2020 and absolutely no footballers feel like they can come out as gay because they know what will happen in social media. There's been a gradual progression in sentiment over the years but that doesn't make it easy for anyone to make it public.

macheda14

That’s fair enough I suppose being Bi could be confusing for awhile as feelings will be all over the place but on the other point to take 40 years to come to the conclusion you are gay seems like some sort of record. I refuse to believe that he didn’t realise he was a gay man in his earlier years.
This is such a binary view. It’s entirely possible he thought he was attracted to men but didn’t felt confused, married and legitimately fell in love with his wife but realised what he thought was love wasn’t how it’s supposed to feel. There are countless occasions where men legitimately fall in love with their wives but are gay. Then it dawns on you more and more that maybe you aren’t even bi, you are gay

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We're in 2020 and absolutely no footballers feel like they can come out as gay because they know what will happen in social media. There's been a gradual progression in sentiment over the years but that doesn't make it easy for anyone to make it public.
Justin Fashanu came out in 1990. Yes he took a lot of shit, but he also got a hell of a lot of support.