Pick 3 players from the 1980s sides to add to this seasons squad

sallycinnamin

That’s a left field suggestion, why?
With him being just so dependable. I think in two seasons combined 83/84 and out of 115 games only missed 5.
Consistently consistent is what he brought to the team which could possibly benefit this current squad.

Bondi77

Robson - leadership, goals and drive from midfield
Hughes - ideal player for an ETH team. Hold it up, spread play, score goals
McGrath - adds bit of class to the back, calm, dominating

Schmeichel is not a 1980s player, he joined 1991. Bailey, Turner, Leighton and Sealey were the goalies in that decade @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber
Those three get my vote as well and I am sure the local Publicans would give the nod to Robbo and McGrath but opt for Whiteside over Sparky :p

Jules_T

Robson, Hughes and Bruce.

McGrath on his day was better than Bruce but was too physically fragile and mentally not as good as the three above.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Fergie knew McGrath was good. In his first autobiography he said something like McGrath was the most naturally gifted athlete he ever worked with.

But he said he couldn't control him. He'd call McGrath into his office and give him a bollocking over some late night drinking escapade, and McGrath would nod along "sure, boss. sorry, boss" but go out and do the exact same thing that night.

It was only when he went to Villa that Graham Taylor discovered the true extent of Paul's alcoholism. Taylor basically became a father-figure to McGrath, had him live in his house, gave him his own training routine, tolerated the occasional slip up in terms of drinking, and got buy in from the rest of the Villa squad who knew Paul had a problem but also knew how good he was for the team.

Fergie (quite reasonably) was never the type of manager to do what Taylor did. Over the years Fergie showed that if he felt players were too much trouble, for whatever reason, they were shown the door, no matter how good they were.
Not only that - he even said that McGrath dragged other players with him (especially Whiteside) - I think he wrote someplace that he felt he could get trough to Whiteside, but McGrath he had given up on

lysglimt

Scout
Robson is a given- best player in England in the 80s. Hughes would be perfect for ETH's style of play.

But I wouldn't mind seeing an early 80s Wilkins in the team either

And Brian McClair

simplyared

My first choice would be Coppell who would replace Antony. A massive improvement!
Then Hughes as CF (we need grit and goals)
Then Robson. He could play alongside Bruno (what a combo)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Robson, Hughes and Bruce.

McGrath on his fat was better than Bruce but was too physically fragile and mentally not as good as the three above.
I love Brucey but damn he's going to be exposed in the modern high line/intensive pressing football. He'd be an upgrade on Maguire with his mentality and goalscoring but defensively he'd suffer from the same weaknesses.

Old Ma Crow

McGrath
Robson
Hughes

Power, control and quality and a rock solid spine.

arthurka

Gordon McQueen - a tough Scottish b*stard to headbutt any strikers.

Bryan Robson - a tough English b*stard to headbutt any midfielders.

Mark Hughes - a tough Welsh b*stard to headbutt any defenders.
They wouldn't last in the pitch more than 5 min in today's game. Pally would replace McQueen for me but.. still remember him running full pelt and just being amazed seeing his top speed.

GueRed

(mid 80s - 1989)

Robson, Hughes, Ince

We'd dominate games with the quality and power of personality with these three on the pitch. Easily..