Pickford injury time save

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Unbelievable stop. Can’t believe they didn’t show any replays. Such a shame it immediately followed with the equaliser but gave him a second go at being a deserved hero.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Can't believe that. Mata's was from a perfect free kick spot. You can see that Pickford didn't really need to jump for it, he sort of did a hop and didn't spend that long in the air.

Obviously a fantastic save, but the best part of it was Pickford's anticipation, the shot came out of nowhere but he was very much ready to react.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't believe that. Mata's was from a perfect free kick spot. You can see that Pickford didn't really need to jump for it, he sort of did a hop and didn't spend that long in the air.

Obviously a fantastic save, but the best part of it was Pickford's anticipation, the shot came out of nowhere but he was very much ready to react.
Wut. Have you not seen the behind the goal replay?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wut. Have you not seen the behind the goal replay?
Yes, he did some strange single leg jump and his legs were crossed. He was almost able to land on his feet. De Gea's dive covered some distance and he did a neat roll at the end, much better execution and would get top marks in a diving competition.

Andersons Dietician

Even against Januzaj I think he chose to go with the hand further from the ball. Seemed he was doing that here as well and then changed his mind.
Watched a thing with DeGea and apparently that is the arm you’re supposed to go with. Something about your arm is higher, therefore your height and reach has improved. Had never really thought of it before but makes sense. Saying that if he goes with his right arm for that save I don’t think he is getting that touch on it.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I haven't seen a replay, but I'm fairly sure the ball would have taken an odd spin for Pickford to have to readjust mid air like that, it's bloody hard to do and screws up the way you land.

That makes it a much, much better save than if was all one movement.

Whether it was going in or hitting the post (which I think it was) isn't really here nor there, because there is no way Pickford could know, so he has to act like it is. It was a really, really good save.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Pretty sure that was going out. Either way, he couldn't possibly be sure about it so it's still a great save.

redshaw

Astounding save. Don't think I'll see any better than it but shame it's been lost in the shuffle.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Watched a thing with DeGea and apparently that is the arm you’re supposed to go with. Something about your arm is higher, therefore your height and reach has improved. Had never really thought of it before but makes sense. Saying that if he goes with his right arm for that save I don’t think he is getting that touch on it.
You have more control of your body with the arm going over the top, which puts strength in the save, as opposed a stretch with your nearer hand.

The strength in your shoulder is a lot less over shoulder height, so if you're reaching up from under your body, you won't have as much resistance.

When you reach over, you rotate your upper body and so the line of your shoulders changes and you can put more power in your save.

Plus, it also means your body is rotating when you land, so it's easier to get up for a potential follow up.

Reactions: Fortitude

Walters_19_MuFc

Fantastic save. Shame the corner led to the goal, but came out on top on pens.

Was impressed with him today. Solid performance. Love his confidence too.

starman

Had it been the save that ended up winning the game, i could imagine it wouldve become one of those moments that become historical that people always remember. Like Gazza goal against Scotland, Owen goal against Argentina etc.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Loved that moment. Were in awe watching it with my missus. Top class football all around, the strike, too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Just hope He'll stay clear from Head&Shoulders and won't act like a prick. Don't want him to turn into Joe Hart v.2.

Very talented GK.

99withaflake

So many fans (including myself) were a little worried about him. There was a question mark against his name. Delighted he proved me wrong in this match.

SER19

Fantastic stop, up there with swiss keeper v serbia and japan keeper v poland in best saves. Swiss save edges it for me

SER19

Four goals conceded in four games though...

England need to tighten up at the back if they're serious about reaching the final.
Less important since they have the easiest run to a final ever

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes, he did some strange single leg jump and his legs were crossed. He was almost able to land on his feet. De Gea's dive covered some distance and he did a neat roll at the end, much better execution and would get top marks in a diving competition.
I know you’ve got this weird thing going on where you must defend all things Manchester United at any cost but come on. You think a “neat roll” makes a better save?! :houllier:

It was a sensational leap by Pickford. Clawed the ball right out of the postage stamp. You won’t see a better save for a long long time. It was better than De Gea’s because it was more difficult to execute.

ReddyMcRedface

I've been pretty critical of Pickford, I don't think he's great by any stretch of the imagination and I thought he was particularly poor against Belgium. His biggest problem against Belgium was mistiming his dives, he jumped too early for the shots from Tielemens, Mertens and Januzaj - ultimately he made two decent saves but his early dive meant he parried the ball back centrally rather than away from the goal. Then on Januzaj's his early jump meant he was actually on his way back down as the ball reached him.

However having said all that, the save last night was incredible. His footwork prior to the dive and then the reach once he had taken off were both fantastic. Makes me think he may have been over-coached for want of a better phrase. The stop last night was pure reflex, nobody was particularly expecting a shot from Uribe and certainly not one of that quality. That meant Pickford didn't have time to prepare and therefore avoided the mistake I thought he made with his saves in the Belgium game.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It was a mega save.

On close inspection the shot is going wide but he’s not to know and it happened so fast from so far out.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I know you’ve got this weird thing going on where you must defend all things Manchester United at any cost but come on. You think a “neat roll” makes a better save?! :houllier:

It was a sensational leap by Pickford. Clawed the ball right out of the postage stamp. You won’t see a better save for a long long time. It was better than De Gea’s because it was more difficult to execute.
I was messing around with the neat roll bit. De Gea tends to make normal saves into theatrical jumps. Pickford made an amazing save for sure.

Revan

Assumptionman
One of the greatest saves I have ever seen. Watched dozens of times already, it is a thing of beauty.