Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

L1nk

Billed as the next big thing for Bayern's midfield at one point, plying his trade for Southampton since 2016, still only 23. I happen to think he's a tidy little player from what i've seen of him and think he could be a good upgrade on a player like Fellaini, and probably cheaper than alot of the options on people's wishlists.

Anyone with a better informed opinion on this guy?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Billed as the next big thing for Bayern's midfield at one point, plying his trade for Southampton since 2016, still only 23. I happen to think he's a tidy little player from what i've seen of him and think he could be a good upgrade on a player like Fellaini, and probably cheaper than alot of the options on people's wishlists.

Anyone with a better informed opinion on this guy?
He is a top bracket talent. But has been taking his jolly time to mature. Hopefully Hassenshutl will finally constantly get his talent out of him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was he not captain against Arsenal? He looks on a different level to his teammates.
I'm surprised to hear he is 23. Thought he was close to 30.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was he not captain against Arsenal? He looks on a different level to his teammates.
I'm surprised to hear he is 23. Thought he was close to 30.
He was a very promising youth product, but never lived up to it when given a chance at Bayern. I don’t watch his games, but maybe he simply matured?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Always liked him. I mentioned him as one of my 3 options in that ‘name 3 players from the bottom half who would be good signings’ (or something like that) thread a while back.

Surprised he went to Southampton, when he got his chance at Bayern he looked good. I remember him looking impressive when Bayern came to the Etihad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nice technical player but a little bit slow for top level.

There are loads of players in Southampton squad who with better coaching can be good again. Cedric Soares and Bertrand are two good FBs who have underachieved in last 18 months.

Wasn't Lemina stupidly rated a while ago, I remember MOTD did a montage on him after one game. Nathan Redmond was also hyped a while ago but hardly any goals or assists. Scored a nice one yesterday.

Thinking about it their squad needs a proper coach like Hasenhuttl to drill them on training ground as too often I've watched them over last two seasons and there's no connection between defence-midfield-attack.

Will certainly stay up anyway.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Talk Everton might sign him for 35-40m!

As I've said above I think he's a decent player but he's not better than all the endless midfielders Everton have (Gomes, Delph, Davies, Sigurdsson, Iwobi etc) so just smacks me of again Everton massively overpaying for a player who won't improve them a huge amount.

Just a reminder they have finished in the bottom half this season despite their forwards having decent seasons.

Nickelodeon

As I've said above I think he's a decent player but he's not better than all the endless midfielders Everton have (Gomes, Delph, Davies, Sigurdsson, Iwobi etc) so just smacks me of again Everton massively overpaying for a player who won't improve them a huge amount.

Just a reminder they have finished in the bottom half this season despite their forwards having decent seasons.
I have liked him. He's a decent DM and has most attributes (ball winning, positional discipline, efficient in possession) to succeed without being exceptional in any.

Though Everton's interest has put me off given their recent history.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not ideal. Was hoping Everton would blow their summer budget on our duds instead.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

Where? All I've seen is that Everton have bid around 15 mil and Southampton want 25.

Spurs are also interested and are considering including Walker-Peters in the deal, apparently.

Hojbjerg's got 1 year left on his contract and doesn't want to sign a new one. I don't think anyone would pay close to 35-40m.

He's a solid player and Everton don't have anyone like him in midfield (someone that can actually run and/or tackle). That said, I think Ward-Prowse is better and I'm surprised that he's not been linked with bigger clubs more.

Last edited:

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I seen that we have bid 20m for him but they want 35m instead. He only has one year on his contract though so i can't see us increasing our offer too much.

I can't say i have ever really noticed him to be honest. He looks to just be a steady player and we are desperate for some energy in midfield. Mourinho, Ancelotti and Pep all look to be a fan of him so i'm hoping he can be a Henderson or Fletcher type player that managers love to have in the middle of the park. We could really do with someone like that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I seen that we have bid 20m for him but they want 35m instead. He only has one year on his contract though so i can't see us increasing our offer too much.

I can't say i have ever really noticed him to be honest. He looks to just be a steady player and we are desperate for some energy in midfield. Mourinho, Ancelotti and Pep all look to be a fan of him so i'm hoping he can be a Henderson or Fletcher type player that managers love to have in the middle of the park. We could really do with someone like that.
Delph could be that player but I assume he's picked up too many injuries/lacked motivation since joining you?

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Delph could be that player but I assume he's picked up too many injuries/lacked motivation since joining you?
Delph looked really good on his debut but he's hardly had a good game since. He can't get a run of games to get any momentum because of the constant injuries and his attitude comes across as poor, like he believes is too good for us because he played for City. On the ball it feels like he has become a bit of a coward. Like in the City team he could get by all game playing simple 5 yard passes to Silva and De Bruyne but that is no good for us, we need him to be brave and for him to take more responsibility.
I was very happy with the signing in the summer, hoping he would have a similar impact as Barry but Barry was twice the player in my opinion.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Delph looked really good on his debut but he's hardly had a good game since. He can't get a run of games to get any momentum because of the constant injuries and his attitude comes across as poor, like he believes is too good for us because he played for City. On the ball it feels like he has become a bit of a coward. Like in the City team he could get by all game playing simple 5 yard passes to Silva and De Bruyne but that is no good for us, we need him to be brave and for him to take more responsibility.
I was very happy with the signing in the summer, hoping he would have a similar impact as Barry but Barry was twice the player in my opinion.
You also have Gbamin who was highly rated , right ? Hojbjerg is good but he also had injury concerns.

Douglas Luiz from Villa would be a similar player who would actually be a brilliant signing for you guys.

paulscholes18

Seems a sideways move, saying you want Champions league football then (potentially) agreeing to sign for Everton

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wouldn’t pay over 25m for him due to the contract situation but we need investment in the middle. Gylfi should go, Schneiderlin already has, Delph has been a Walcott type signing so far (either very good or very shit) and he’s also a prick and Gbamin has another long term injury, Gomes is better in a three and Davies really isn’t kicking on at all so we need investment in the middle.

Gueye has been a huge miss for us this season and if Hojbjerg can add some tenacity to the midfield I’d welcome it. He’d improve where we are at right now but not enough to warrant spending 35-40m which is doubt is the fee. If it is I’ll be quite annoyed.

izec

Wouldn’t pay over 25m for him due to the contract situation but we need investment in the middle. Gylfi should go, Schneiderlin already has, Delph has been a Walcott type signing so far (either very good or very shit) and he’s also a prick and Gbamin has another long term injury, Gomes is better in a three and Davies really isn’t kicking on at all so we need investment in the middle.

Gueye has been a huge miss for us this season and if Hojbjerg can add some tenacity to the midfield I’d welcome it. He’d improve where we are at right now but not enough to warrant spending 35-40m which is doubt is the fee. If it is I’ll be quite annoyed.
It is 25m isnt it? Seems like a decent price. He should improve the midfield quite a bit.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's better than Fred and Mctominay tbh.
Nah. He’s a decent signing for Everton, though. Like @BigDunc9 says he’s the type of player you want in your squad as a manager. Unspectacular but he’s got grit and energy. Gylfi and Davies are super cumbersome.

izec

Decent signing for Spurs. He is above average and will add some steel. I think he is a good allrounder. Jose will like him, as he is a hard worker and puts in a shift, with some other decent footballing attributes. Everton or Spurs would have been good for him, so i think it doesn't make that big of a change, since he fits both clubs and their level. Still only 25, but he is around for quite some time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Surely everyone is joking? He’s absolutely bang average, if we signed him everyone would rightly be gutted.