Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Gandalf

People losing their minds in this thread and the Amrabat thread despite there being no real credible links to suggest we actually want them. It is all agent driven. Of course the reality is worse because in fact we won’t be buying anyone, our cnut owners have closed up shop for the summer and that will be that.

JuriM

Yes we do know. Nothing will happen. They are giving out 8 years contracts which is within the rules. Before this regime was another who spent way beyond their income streams. For a decade Chelsea and city have both proven spending is fine regardless of income. I mean genuine income. We got a fine this year for a slight FFP infringement. I’d say the guys that monitor FFP have a keen eye on the so called big clubs of old more so than these new money clubs it appears.
Nah, no need to lie here - they have only been fine do being able to sell their academy products for pure profit and fill the bank with that money. We haven't.

Ekeke

Would be a good sitting CM, backup for Casemiro and could play alongside him when we needed to be more solid in the middle and going back to playing with 2 DMs. Certainly a better defensive minded midfielder than Fred and McTom, or any we've been linked with this summer other than Caicedo. So its not a bad idea at all.

However he's found himself out of the Spurs team this season with their impressive start having mostly to do with the 2 CMs Sarr and Bissouma and Maddison right in front of them. So obviously a more ambitious idea would be to go for Bissouma or Sarr. They'd also cost far more money now which is why we're being linked with Hoj instead.

Edit - An extra note which may have gone unnoticed. I didnt notice it. His ball winning numbers were down last season from the previous seasons, but he got 5 assists and 4 goals. So he was more offensive last season than the previous seasons and had more end product than Fred and McTom, Amrabat, Caicedo, Lavia etc

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would be a good sitting CM, backup for Casemiro and could play alongside him when we needed to be more solid in the middle and going back to playing with 2 DMs. Certainly a better defensive minded midfielder than Fred and McTom, or any we've been linked with this summer other than Caicedo. So its not a bad idea at all.

However he's found himself out of the Spurs team this season with their impressive start having mostly to do with the 2 CMs Sarr and Bissouma and Maddison right in front of them. So obviously a more ambitious idea would be to go for Bissouma or Sarr. They'd also cost far more money now which is why we're being linked with Hoj instead.

Pretty much, but at 35m I think this is a no go, surely there has to be another player we could go for at that price range, someone like Sangare from PSV
It also baffles me that we passed up on Kamara on a free last summer

What ever happed to the kid from Benfica we were linked with earlier in the summer?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we went for someone like him I think he will make us a lot stronger in the midfield area.

Ekeke

Pretty much, but at 35m I think this is a no go, surely there has to be another player we could go for at that price range, someone like Sangare from PSV
It also baffles me that we passed up on Kamara on a free last summer

What ever happed to the kid from Benfica we were linked with earlier in the summer?
There was also Tielemans on a free this summer who went to Aston Villa and Ward-Prowse who has started well at West Ham who cost just under 30

Cassidy

You know what I actually don't know why many people don't think he's good.
There was also Tielemans on a free this summer who went to Aston Villa and Ward-Prowse who has started well at West Ham who cost just under 30
Indeed

Cassidy

He is apparently on £100k a week at Spurs. He will want a bump on that for coming to United. Plus a Levy inflated transfer fee.

Amrabat is meant to be on €37k a week according to https://www.capology.com/club/fiorentina/salaries/

Feels like Amrabat is a no brainer.
I would personally sign both, well at least if we're are selling McTominay and VDB is also going we should bring in 2 midfielders

gaffs

Edit - An extra note which may have gone unnoticed. I didnt notice it. His ball winning numbers were down last season from the previous seasons, but he got 5 assists and 4 goals. So he was more offensive last season than the previous seasons and had more end product than Fred and McTom, Amrabat, Caicedo, Lavia etc
Now he has hit form, Levy will want 75mil.

croadyman

He's good enough to cover Casemiro,however when you see he shites himself on the ball under pressure that's a huge red flag

pawanraj

I don't get this place sometimes. So many posts deriding Mount when the thread is for Hoijberg, whose signing has nothing to do with Mount and his position.

We had no cover for Bruno - in Mount we signed a cover for Bruno, who can ALSO do a job everywhere else in the midfield. He's just come into the team and is bedding in, and is young enough to be hopeful about. Give him a chance?

We have no cover for Casemiro (McT doesn't count) and we're signing one in Hoijberg. Which elite player will come to be a backup, and is available at a reasonable price + wages? I see nothing wrong with signing an experienced PL operator who is a decent enough footballer to provide competition and be okay being on the bench often.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I don't get this place sometimes. So many posts deriding Mount when the thread is for Hoijberg, whose signing has nothing to do with Mount and his position.

We had no cover for Bruno - in Mount we signed a cover for Bruno, who can ALSO do a job everywhere else in the midfield. He's just come into the team and is bedding in, and is young enough to be hopeful about. Give him a chance?

We have no cover for Casemiro (McT doesn't count) and we're signing one in Hoijberg. Which elite player will come to be a backup, and is available at a reasonable price + wages? I see nothing wrong with signing an experienced PL operator who is a decent enough footballer to provide competition and be okay being on the bench often.
I don’t really moan at all but answering the obvious here

Mount wasn’t brought in primarily as Bruno cover at all. it was a very odd move to make. But yes he deserves time

Why doesn’t McT or Fred count as Casemiro cover or someone to play along side for added defensive cover? They do just as good a job as Hojberg. (maybe better) Again its a bizarre transfer

I think people are understandably questioning the transfer activity. Surely we are looking for much better than we already have. If we sign Hojberg we will probably be trying to offload him in about two years time and running into same issues as offloading other deadwood as shown this summer

croadyman

I don’t really moan at all but answering the obvious here

Mount wasn’t brought in primarily as Bruno cover at all. it was a very odd move to make. But yes he deserves time

Why doesn’t McT or Fred count as Casemiro cover or someone to play along side for added defensive cover? They do just as good a job as Hojberg. (maybe better) Again its a bizarre transfer

I think people are understandably questioning the transfer activity. Surely we are looking for much better than we already have. If we sign Hojberg we will probably be trying to offload him in about two years time and running into same issues as offloading other deadwood as shown this summer
I could be completely wrong but Erik still hasn't moved on from De Jong. Since then I have seen pretty much zero links to tempo controllers which is very telling he doesn't know what he wants.

Jig1234

John Murtough sucks at his job. Scrambling for mediocre midfielders in the final week of the window. Injured or not Mount was a waste of £60m (Not a CM). Murtough is a disgrace, can't shift anyone to generate money and when it comes to signings, all he seems to do is get are players Ten Hag has worked with before. No requirement and scouting network at Utd. No structure. No policy on profile of players, or age restriction so you don't end up with 30 year old's on high wages that you can't shift in 1-2 years. Murtough needs to go with the glazers. Letting Ten Hag decide who we sign is ruining squad depth and quality and succession planning. 3 signings letter we not looking any better than last year.

Giggsy13

John Murtough sucks at his job. Scrambling for mediocre midfielders in the final week of the window. Injured or not Mount was a waste of £60m (Not a CM). Murtough is a disgrace, can't shift anyone to generate money and when it comes to signings, all he seems to do is get are players Ten Hag has worked with before. No requirement and scouting network at Utd. No structure. No policy on profile of players, or age restriction so you don't end up with 30 year old's on high wages that you can't shift in 1-2 years. Murtough needs to go with the glazers. Letting Ten Hag decide who we sign is ruining squad depth and quality and succession planning. 3 signings letter we not looking any better than last year.
Did Murtough sign Martial, Maguire and Bailly to those ridiculous contracts? He’s trying to clean up the Woodward mess, which so far he has done a decent job doing.

hobbers

Surely it’s senseless to pay the same or more for Hoj than for Amrabat who is 4 years younger?

Only makes sense if it’s for less than 20m

Cassidy

Surely it’s senseless to pay the same or more for Hoj than for Amrabat who is 4 years younger?

Only makes sense if it’s for less than 20m
I would be surprised if we would entertain 35m

Cassidy

Did Murtough sign Martial, Maguire and Bailly to those ridiculous contracts? He’s trying to clean up the Woodward mess, which so far he has done a decent job doing.
No he signed Rashford, Antony, Casemiro and Mount to ridiculous contracts instead

Casemiro at 30 was given a 4+1 year contract, that was pretty stupid

Zoo

With the way Casemiro been playing recently, we'll be looking for a replacement of him this time next year.

United lack competence and (common-sense) foresight.
Ten Hag has earmarked Mainoo for a big role. If Casemiro really is finished next year (doubtful) then having another experienced option to call upon wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Giggsy13

No he signed Rashford, Antony, Casemiro and Mount to ridiculous contracts instead

Casemiro at 30 was given a 4+1 year contract, that was pretty stupid
Casemiro is being slighted now? Christ. Rashford is by and far our best attacker and it showed last week. Mount has played a grand total of 2 games, get a grip. Antony is the only questionable signing but he showed signs against Forest that we’ll be seeing a much better version of him this season.

Cassidy

Casemiro is being slighted now? Christ. Rashford is by and far our best attacker and it showed last week. Mount has played a grand total of 2 games, get a grip. Antony is the only questionable signing but he showed signs against Forest that we’ll be seeing a much better version of him this season.
Slighted? Signing a 30 year old to a 4+1 year contract is wrong, especially on massive wages.
I like Casemiro, I don't like the contract.

Same with Rashford, I like him as a player, I do not like 350+ a week contract because he is not consistently playing at a world class level and can only be effective in one position.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So we are interested in signing Spur’s deadwood, interesting. Wonder who would be interested in signing ours.

Jericho

The frustration with a signing like this for me is that it doesn't improve us at all. We need a midfielder whos going straight into the first team. As you say Mount is basically just cover for Bruno, Hoijberg would just be cover for Casemiro. We have massive problems in midfield and all we're doing is further entrenching ourselves into these problem by buying lesser versions of the players we already have.

I suppose you could play Hoijberg with Casemiro with the intention of making us more defensively solid, but he's so poor on the ball from what I've seen I don't know we'd be much better off overall.

DJ_21

I have a mate at work who’s a city fan and he rates Hojbjerg, he reckons he’ll make us stronger and harder to get through our midfield..

croadyman

I have a mate at work who’s a city fan and he rates Hojbjerg, he reckons he’ll make us stronger and harder to get through our midfield..
He probably would do but we need better quality in there on the ball. I would feel very differently IF we had that already but sadly don't

Valencia Shin Crosses

Just fecking bizarre we are looking at him instead of someone like Thuram who’d cost slightly more but offers miles more in terms of physicality, potential, and actual room for improvement while also being someone we could play next to Case as a pair.

But sure let’s sign an unwanted Spurs player that yet again can’t move with the fecking ball

Amsterdam Devil

Yeah when ETH was number 2.
He never was number 2 at Munich, he was the coach of the second team playing at the third level in Germany. Hojbjerg started in the second team when he was 17, before going to the first team a few years later, where he hardly played and joined Southampton after a couple of years.

DJ_21

He probably would do but we need better quality in there on the ball. I would feel very differently IF we had that already but sadly don't
I don’t get what ETH is trying to do anymore. His first midfield target was FDJ so you could understand the style of play he wanted to implement but then we sign Casemiro as a 2nd option who has a complete different style of play to FDJ and now we’re going after a player that won’t improve us on the ball but will make us stronger in the midfield department. Don’t get what we’re trying to do.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m going to make an assumption of the fanbase here, seeing as others do.

If you’d have said in May that the Glazers would still be in charge whilst our midfield signings would be Mount & Hojberg they’d have been calls for riots.

I don’t care how much spin people attempt to put on this, it’s shambolic. I fear that EtH’s personnel decisions will be the undoing of EtH the manager.

zaafi

Just fecking bizarre we are looking at him instead of someone like Thuram who’d cost slightly more but offers miles more in terms of physicality, potential, and actual room for improvement while also being someone we could play next to Case as a pair.

But sure let’s sign an unwanted Spurs player that yet again can’t move with the fecking ball
Not that I think Højbjerg is the answer to our midfield problems, but I really don't think Thuram is either. He is barely able to progress the ball forward with his passing and he isn't one that does the passing in general. He is great at carrying the ball forward, but if that's what we needed, we could've just gone for Seko Fofana who is twice the player. I know it's easy to hype up players that people haven't seen a lot of, but he really isn't all that yet. He's so far from Camavinga and Tchouameni in terms of potential, so paying a massive sum to Nice for a player who doesn't really solve any more than Højbjerg would is just daft.