Gaming Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
:lol:

I think that most of people who played games before 2010 have some kind of dislike for Skyrim. Not cause it is a terrible game (it is a good game actually), but because it is nowhere as good as people claim.
To be fair to him, he does say the VR version which does make it a good game for a while.

But even on release it was pretty trash. If it was named anything other than an Elder Scrolls game though, I probably wouldn't be quite as harsh I guess. But like Fallout 3, then 4, if you ruin a great series then you should be considered shit for all time! ;)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

I think that most of people who played games before 2010 have some kind of dislike for Skyrim. Not cause it is a terrible game (it is a good game actually), but because it is nowhere as good as people claim.
It's not just that.

Elder Scrolls didn't really develop in the areas it need to in the five years between Oblivion & Skyrim, while regressing heavily in others. In terms of narrative & quest design, especially compared to Morrowind & more recent RPG releases, it's nowhere near. And combat... You can't get away with Skyrim's combat in a world where Dark Souls exists :D

Skyrim is "baby's first RPG." It's gameplay is shallow, it's happenings are entirely inconsequential, the quests are dire, and there's not a single memorable character in there.

... I do wanna try it in VR, though :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's not just that.

Elder Scrolls didn't really develop in the areas it need to in the five years between Oblivion & Skyrim, while regressing heavily in others. In terms of narrative & quest design, especially compared to Morrowind & more recent RPG releases, it's nowhere near. And combat... You can't get away with Skyrim's combat in a world where Dark Souls exists :D

Skyrim is "baby's first RPG." It's gameplay is shallow, it's happenings are entirely inconsequential, the quests are dire, and there's not a single memorable character in there.

You sound like me in the days before I was trying to be nicer to the gaming 'tards. Oh sometimes I wish I was as honest as I once was :lol:

(Skyrim VR is incredibly awesome...for a time. Then you realise, it's still Skyrim and you stop being that bothered. But it is still a great experience for a bit)

Revan

Assumptionman
It's not just that.

In addition to that, the cities are empty (biggest city in the region has something like 20 people) and you can wander for 100 hours and come back with the dragon and Earl's army of 4 people is still continuing fighting.

It has some good parts and might be a good intro to gaming for some people, but it is hardly a masterpiece like so many claim.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Wait, you haven't fecking played Morrowind? :houllier:
I did started it years and years ago, but don't remember now where I stopped. It was very early for sure. I believe the reason back then was that my computer was just too weak to run it properly. Have the same *problem* today, for games like DOS2 or POE2 (I think).

Ainu

I backed the first one on Kickstarter a long time ago (it was even still called Project Eternity back then). When it finally came out - several years late in good old Kickstarter fashion - I found that I didn't quite have the patience for these games anymore, not like I used to with games like Icewind Dale. I just got bored fairly quickly, its world failed to draw me in. I'm thinking about giving this one a go but it would be a shame if the same thing happens again.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Played a few hours now. Went for a big blue fighter/cipher multiclass. It's a very enjoyable game. :) Though perhaps not quite as fun as Divinity Original Sin 2. I liked the combat better in that one.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
23 hours in, and I've not touched the main quest for about 15 hours... Not that it's bad (it's seemingly far from it), but the side content is just keeping me happily engaged :D Found some pretty awesome gear, too!

whatwha

23 hours in, and I've not touched the main quest for about 15 hours... Not that it's bad (it's seemingly far from it), but the side content is just keeping me happily engaged :D Found some pretty awesome gear, too!
What class(es) are you playing?

The option of setting level scaling on/off/main quest only, is an interesting one. I think I went with main quest only and upscaling only.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
So, I nearly finished POE1. Is it a big deal for me to finish off that game (I already know the ending) first so that I can import the save? Or can/should I just jump straight into the sequel - because it looks immense!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
So, I nearly finished POE1. Is it a big deal for me to finish off that game (I already know the ending) first so that I can import the save? Or can/should I just jump straight into the sequel - because it looks immense!
Can jump straight in. I put 130 hours into the first game, didn't bother importing a save, and I'm getting along just fine.

What class(es) are you playing?

The option of setting level scaling on/off/main quest only, is an interesting one. I think I went with main quest only and upscaling only.
I'm saving scaling for PotD playthrough, same with multiclassing. At the moment I'm on Veteran with a Fighter (tank), Priest (healer), Wizard, Rogue, & Chanter.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Can jump straight in. I put 130 hours into the first game, didn't bother importing a save, and I'm getting along just fine.
Works for me. Have a good weekend everyone! :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

Bit of a hijack here. Original Sin 2, how difficult is it? I ask because I put a good bit of time into 1 but eventually got stuck under the church at a boss rush. Just couldn't do it and had to give up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Bit of a hijack here. Original Sin 2, how difficult is it? I ask because I put a good bit of time into 1 but eventually got stuck under the church at a boss rush. Just couldn't do it and had to give up.
It's difficult, but there's always a way to beat everything if you can figure it out. It's a game of trial and error when it comes to fights and figuring out how to use your surroundings and spells and such to benefit you as you die.

I wouldn't go expecting an easy game but as someone who also got fed up of the first one at a certain point I kept going on this right til the end.

The Bloody-Nine

Cheers. I don't see any games coming up that strike me as essential for a while, so I'll probably get it.

whatwha

The first levels are the hardest, in my experience. You'll struggle to get any sort of full equipment on your guys.

whatwha

Upgraded my ship cannons and having fun blasting the crap out of scrubs on the high seas, and collecting on bounties. :D

Boarding is bugged for the time being though, so I just have to sink them.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Upgraded my ship cannons and having fun blasting the crap out of scrubs on the high seas, and collecting on bounties. :D

Boarding is bugged for the time being though, so I just have to sink them.
I never went past the Defiant with 4x Double Bronzers, and I sunk pretty much every ship on the map.

Finished the game anyway. 'twas good, nothing spectacular.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm gonna dive in here.
I'm new to PC gaming and although these games don't really seem my thing, they seem very popular, so I have been looking into them.
WOW, Diablo 3 and the above games etc. What is it that makes them so good, and if I was to give one a go, which would people say is the best of the best?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I'm gonna dive in here.
I'm new to PC gaming and although these games don't really seem my thing, they seem very popular, so I have been looking into them.
WOW, Diablo 3 and the above games etc. What is it that makes them so good, and if I was to give one a go, which would people say is the best of the best?
WoW is a lingering giant that doesn't carry the same magic as it did back in 2004, but many of those that play it still believe it to be the best MMO out there (and it probably is for high end PvE content). If you're going to play WoW, you can't half-arse it if you wanna get a good experience out of it. You have to be willing to jump in & socialize, find a good group of people, and play with them.

Ignore D3 :D

Simbo

I really need to play Morrorwind.

This made me chuckle.

So true, Morrowind is the best of the Elder scrolls series for many reasons, but the main one is the lack of fast travel.

Anyway, PoE2, looks good.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
WoW is a lingering giant that doesn't carry the same magic as it did back in 2004, but many of those that play it still believe it to be the best MMO out there (and it probably is for high end PvE content). If you're going to play WoW, you can't half-arse it if you wanna get a good experience out of it. You have to be willing to jump in & socialize, find a good group of people, and play with them.

Ignore D3 :D
What would you recommend?
I'd want to get immersed in a story. Something I can potentially play with a friend, but at the same point, something I can play to the end on my own if I wanted

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
What would you recommend?
I'd want to get immersed in a story. Something I can potentially play with a friend, but at the same point, something I can play to the end on my own if I wanted
It's not a game I've played, but it's a series that everyone else I know seems to love - Divinity: Original Sin II. It's a very PC oriented experience with multiplayer & a much improved story over the first game from what I'm told.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Stack up behind the door (use it to throttle their advances & so his AoE's don't hit you), use summons to tank in front of the doors. Focus down the poison thing that spawns to the right of the screen, can't remember it's name.

The Bloody-Nine

Thanks, but it's been so long since I played it that it would be like starting from scratch. :lol:

I'm going to dive into part 2 instead.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'll be downloading this today. Might end up streaming my experience if anyone is interested in that.
I haven't played the first yet, but will watch/read a synopsis of the story.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Stack up behind the door (use it to throttle their advances & so his AoE's don't hit you), use summons to tank in front of the doors. Focus down the poison thing that spawns to the right of the screen, can't remember it's name.
Ghoul that *used* to guard the Lighthouse. That was nice touch. With Zombie talent it actually heals you which also might be helpful for that particular fight. Bones guy is pretty easy to knock, and I like to carry couple of water wands for the fire Twins.