Music Pink Floyd

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have been listening to Pink Floyd for over 50 years and the thing is that the music and especially the lyrics are as relevant now as they were then.
The magic of Roger Waters songs made even more magic by the guitar and vocals of David Gilmour are (to me) un-rivalled by any other group.
So many brilliant albums with so many brilliant songs and yet there were massive differences and so many fall outs between the band members. In particular Waters and Gilmour.
They are all true legends of pop music.
What do you think or am I just being old fashioned.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I have been listening to Pink Floyd for over 50 years and the thing is that the music and especially the lyrics are as relevant now as they were then.
The magic of Roger Waters songs made even more magic by the guitar and vocals of David Gilmour are (to me) un-rivalled by any other group.
So many brilliant albums with so many brilliant songs and yet there were massive differences and so many fall outs between the band members. In particular Waters and Gilmour.
They are all true legends of pop music.
What do you think or am I just being old fashioned.
Nah, Pink Floyd are great.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nah, Pink Floyd are great.
Thank you.
Do you have a favourite album or single.
Mine is Comfortably Numb. Either by PF or Waters and Van Morrison. His voice is stunning.
Another fantastic song is Mother from the Wall.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Love them.
Hard to choose a favourite as it always changes. Songs Would be between wish you were here and breathe.

I like the live performance of pigs by Waters a few years ago in Mexico too. As you said, lyrics still relevant today. The images of trump in the background are great.

DevilsOwn

Thank you.
Mine is Comfortably Numb. Either by PF or Waters and Van Morrison. His voice is stunning.
I once had a long long discussion with a friend trying to explain to him why Mother - the song- was being sarcastic about over protective moms

Eriku

"And then one day you’ll find ten years have got behind you. No-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun."

The lyrics of Time really gut-punched me a lil’ while ago. Didn’t do that when I was younger and had more time to kill :(

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I once had a long long discussion with a friend trying to explain to him why Mother - the song- was being sarcastic about over protective moms
You are quite right but what beautiful lyrics. So clever.

Classical Mechanic

"And then one day you’ll find ten years have got behind you. No-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun."

The lyrics of Time really gut-punched me a lil’ while ago. Didn’t do that when I was younger and had more time to kill :(
Those lyrics have gut punched scores of folks that spent too much time in their youth doing drugs and listening to Floyd, me included :D

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Those lyrics have gut punched scores of folks that spent too much time in their youth doing drugs and listening to Floyd, me included :D
Honestly never taken drugs but I have to say that some of their songs (and by the way what incredible lyrics by Roger Waters and the amazing guitar solos by Gilmour) seem to transport your mind to another place.
So. Maybe Pink Floyd have been my drug because I listen to them over and over and over again and each time it is just like the first and still perfectly fresh.

Classical Mechanic

Any excuse to post this, which for me is just one of the best things in music. Floyd playing Echoes in an empty amphitheatre in Pompeii back in the early 70s

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Yep, have the exact same feeling hearing that line. Love that song too

ColvaleGoa

Thank you.

Do you think Pink Floyd had Trump on their minds, when they wrote Mother?

arthurka

Cant really say too much of great material. But Piper and Wish you were here are probably my fav albums. See Emily play , Have a Cigar and SOYCD..

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Thank you.
Dark Side of the Moon will always be one of my favourite albums. I listened too it and immediately my relationship with my Dad got better. I still can't explain it too this day.

Reddy Rederson

Pink floyd in my youth was the go to band for me. Countless weekends lost with acid, hash, a Japanese import of super Mario 64 and floyd laying down the soundtrack every single time. As I’ve grown up I’ve come to appreciate them more. The drugs are gone, Nintendo region locks aren’t as draconian as they used to be and still I can lost in floyds music for hours. My favourites out side of the usual classics mentioned are san tropez, set the controls for the heart of the sun, the gnome, bike, keep talking, sorrow.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I don’t think an album has tripped me out as much as when I first heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn when I dropped some acid in the early 90s. I listened to it with a friend and it kind of bonded us together for life. We still talk about that night now. It sounds weird. I can’t explain it.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Not strictly Floyd, but love Waters' Amused to Death album. Perfect Sense is brilliant...ah, takes me back to the early 90's and the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. Would rush home from school becoz me Dad just got Sky tv and I was all excited an sh1t becoz we could watch Baghdad getting bombed everynight live on the tele!

Name Changed

weso26
I absolutely love Pink Floyd. I went to a couple of Roger Waters concerts and they were absolutely amazing. I wish I had of been around to see Pink Floyd.

Member 90887

Not strictly Floyd, but love Waters' Amused to Death album. Perfect Sense is brilliant...ah, takes me back to the early 90's and the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. Would rush home from school becoz me Dad just got Sky tv and I was all excited an sh1t becoz we could watch Baghdad getting bombed everynight live on the tele!
The hell ? who takes pleasure in watching a country getting bombed ? what's wrong with you ?

I agree about Water's amused to death album. at least some sanity in your post.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Dark Side of the Moon will always be one of my favourite albums. I listened too it and immediately my relationship with my Dad got better. I still can't explain it too this day.
That is wonderful to hear. All of Pink Floyd songs and albums are truly inspirational and the lyrics have such meaning.
Unfortunately my father drowned when I was 9 and because he was a flight engineer I didn’t get to see him much.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
The hell ? who takes pleasure in watching a country getting bombed ? what's wrong with you ?

I agree about Water's amused to death album. at least some sanity in your post.
Keep yer pants on man, sarcasm doesn't come across very well on an internet forum and I'm not as skilled as Roger Waters with his command of language and portraying an idea. Sorry for triggering you!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
As far as music goes, it’s very hard to beat Pink Floyd on strong acid. You learn so much.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have listened to Mother from the Wall probably 100 Ish times in the last few days.
Each time I say ok, that is the last time. And then I just have to listen to it again and again.
Not only that fantastic lyrics but more now the outstanding skill of the musicians and the magnificent arrangement.

Must listed to it just one more time.....
Hope my battery doesn't go flat.

GBBQ

Love the Roger Waters "dictatorship" era from Dark Side of The Moon through to The Final Cut. I don't think there's a single song i dislike on any of those albums. I have seen Waters 4 times now (the In The Flesh, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Us + Them tours) and each tour was packed with songs and all had great stage shows. I'd definitely go see him a 5th time as well.

Suv666

Pink Floyd are legends. I've listened to a lot of music but none can capture the greatness of Floyd.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Pink Floyd are legends. I've listened to a lot of music but none can capture the greatness of Floyd.
Excellent.
On one of the youtube comments, someone has quite rightly compared them to the very best Classical Composers and I fully agree.
I am sure that some 'toffee nosed' people would throw their hands up in horror.
But the sheer brilliance of those wonderful lyrics by Roger Waters and the incredible talent of David Gilmour as well as Nick Mason and Richard Wright, not of course forgetting Syd Barrett are at least comperable to any classical composer.
They deserve to be studied and held up as true genius and I for one am so indebted to them for having the privilege to listen and watch their performances.
Thank you Pink Floyd.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Pink Floyd is one of the best things that have ever happened to humanity

I love so many songs. Right now my favorite is Dogs but that change almost every day

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Excellent.
On one of the youtube comments, someone has quite rightly compared them to the very best Classical Composers and I fully agree.
I am sure that some 'toffee nosed' people would throw their hands up in horror.
But the sheer brilliance of those wonderful lyrics by Roger Waters and the incredible talent of David Gilmour as well as Nick Mason and Richard Wright, not of course forgetting Syd Barrett are at least comperable to any classical composer.
They deserve to be studied and held up as true genius and I for one am so indebted to them for having the privilege to listen and watch their performances.
Thank you Pink Floyd.
Don't forget the mastering genius of Alan Parsons who was just as instrumental in those albums as the band themselves.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I must add that my father is a huge fan of them and in the 70s not many bands toured to south america

Luckily Roger Waters has come many times and with my first job payment i invited him to see the wall live. That was a magical moment and a high point in my life because got my dad to see one of his fav albums ever live, by roger himself, and also i could tell he was very proud of his son. Also last year we got to see Gilmour live and it was awesome too but it shocked me he looked so old! But his hands, fingers and voice had not taken too big a beating with time.

Definitively one of the most important bands in my lifes soundtrack

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I must add that my father is a huge fan of them and in the 70s not many bands toured to south america

Luckily Roger Waters has come many times and with my first job payment i invited him to see the wall live. That was a magical moment and a high point in my life because got my dad to see one of his fav albums ever live, by roger himself, and also i could tell he was very proud of his son. Also last year we got to see Gilmour live and it was awesome too but it shocked me he looked so old! But his hands, fingers and voice had not taken too big a beating with time.

Definitively one of the most important bands in my lifes soundtrack
Undoubtedly the relationship between Waters and the rest of Pink Floyd, especially David Gilmour robbed us of many years of their outstanding talent and music.
Waters is undoubtedly a fantastic guitarist and of course genius lyricist but an average singer with a relatively weak voice.
David Gilmour on the other hand was a much better singer and a genius guitarist.

Unfortunately Roger Waters could not really accept that Gilmour was better and felt threatened by his superior talent and as a result of his character fell out with him and the group in general.
This is not an attack on Waters. He is an exceptional musician.
It is such a shame that his character was such that we were robbed of so many years of Pink Floyd music.

Handré1990

:lol:
I went to uni at 19, dropped some acid, went down with a couple of hits from the bong, all the while listening to Pink Floyd. Just woke up, and I’m closing in on 30! :nervous:

Edit: on topic Pink Floyd is, and always has been, great. Who’ll deny it?

Suedesi

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
Such brilliant lyrics there and pretty much in every song.
If the words were not to music they would be regarded as wonderful poetry.
Real shame that Pink Floyd probably don't get the wider recognition they richly deserve.

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it.
The child has grown.
The dream is gone.
And I feel comfortably numb...

Couple that with one of the best ever guitar solos and you have, in my opinion, the greatest song ever.