Music Pink Floyd

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Recently rediscovered "Meddle" - love One of these days, Echoes and Fearless (less the outro)
Great album man. I’m even a bug fan of Saint Tropez and the one with the howling dog because I’m a delta blues fan.

Florida Man

I’ve recently listened to Piper at the Gates of Dawn while tripping and that was an absolute delight. Some songs sounded as if they were playing right in front of you and it out a bug smile on my face. Syd was definitely onto something.

Pagh Wraith

Best band of all time. Favourite song is tough. Anything off that BBC Archives 1970-71 bootleg really.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
The first record I heard from Pink Floyd was the Wall when I was young. What a revelation that was. It completely blew me away. I got hooked immediately and started to check out the rest of their catalogue.

My interest in their music stops with the Final Cut though(which I think is a great album by the way). I can't really relate to Pink Floyd without Waters in it.

Impossible for me to name best songs.. But If I had to rank their best albums in a top5 it would be something like this.

1. Dark Side of the Moon. The album which propelled them to mega stars. So many timeless stunning tracks there, but still it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Magnificent. Probably the greatest album ever made by any artist.
2. Wish You Were Here. Their tribute to Barrett. Three great tracks surrounded by the true masterpiece that is 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Flawless.
3. Meddle. 'Echoes'.. How is it possible to make such music 50 years ago?! The other side has some good tracks too, but it's 'Echoes' that defines this one. Once I used to put headset on and heard it every night I went to bed. Amazing to fly away to that.
4. The Wall. I went and heard it live in Copenhagen when Waters toured with it in 2011. What a show! And what a great album it is. I love the story of the Wall.
5. Animals. Somehow overlooked I feel. Maybe because it doesn't have a 'hit' and the length of the tracks. Nonetheless it is still a great record. Just listen to Gilmours solo on 'Dogs'. Up there with the one on 'Comfortably Numb' as his best.

Honorable mentions to A Saucerful of Secrets & The Final Cut. Great records too the both of them.

I never got to appreciate Piper at the Gates of Dawn though. I know many people see it as a masterpiece, but I just don't get it. I heard it once and I don't think I'll ever hear it again. It was a sad occasion that lead to switch Barrett with Gilmour, but it really was a blessing in disguise regarding their music.

Last edited:

jem

The first record I heard from Pink Floyd was the Wall when I was young. What a revelation that was. It completely blew me away. I got hooked immediately and started to check out the rest of their catalogue.

My interest in their music stops with the Final Cut though(which I think is a great album by the way). I can't really relate to Pink Floyd without Waters in it.

Impossible for me to name best songs.. But If I had to rank their best albums in a top5 it would be something like this.

1. Dark Side of the Moon. The album which propelled them to mega stars. So many timeless stunning tracks there, but still it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Magnificent. Probably the greatest album ever made by any artist.
2. Wish You Were Here. Their tribute to Barrett. Three great tracks surrounded by the true masterpiece that is 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Flawless.
3. Meddle. 'Echoes'.. How is it possible to make such music 50 years ago?! The other side has some good tracks too, but it's 'Echoes' that defines this one. Once I used to put headset on and heard it every night I went to bed. Amazing to fly away to that.
4. The Wall. I went and heard it live in Copenhagen when Waters toured with it in 2011. What a show! And what a great album it is. I love the story of the wall.
5. Animals. Somehow overlooked i feel. Maybe because it doesn't have a 'hit' and the length of the tracks. Nonetheless it is still a great record. Just listen to Gilmours solo on 'Dogs'. Up there with the one on 'Comfortably Numb' as his best.

Honorable mentions to A Saucerful of Secrets & The Final Cut. Great records too the both of them.

I never got to appreciate Piper at the Gates of Dawn though. I know many people see it as a masterpiece, but I just don't get it. I heard it once and I don't think I'll ever hear it again. It was a sad occasion that lead to switch Barrett with Gilmour, but it really was a blessing in disguise regarding their music.
It was much the same for me, until one day it just hit me - now I see it as a masterpiece, albeit from a very different band.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It was much the same for me, until one day it just hit me - now I see it as a masterpiece, albeit from a very different band.
It's wonderful when that happens. But it's such a strange record and I instantly disliked it.. If I give it another go and see the light, I'll get back to you ;)

jem

It's wonderful when that happens. But it's such a strange record and I instantly disliked it.. If I give it another go and see the light, I'll get back to you ;)
It really is a wonderful. I'm almost advise not thinking of it as a Pink Floyd record; it seems more at home with the weird English psychedelia of 1967. Put on The Gnome and imagine basking in a lovely English garden in the summer. It's quite wonderful!

Florida Man

I know that the recommendation I'm about to make won't apply to everyone, and I risk sounding redundant, but I find that album to be something that's best listened to on acid. There's just a lot of little easter eggs that's difficult to catch with sober ears.

Fridge chutney

Not strictly Floyd, but love Waters' Amused to Death album. Perfect Sense is brilliant...ah, takes me back to the early 90's and the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. Would rush home from school becoz me Dad just got Sky tv and I was all excited an sh1t becoz we could watch Baghdad getting bombed everynight live on the tele!
Fantastic album!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

4. The Wall. I went and heard it live in Copenhagen when Waters toured with it in 2011. What a show! And what a great album it is. I love the story of the Wall.
5. Animals. Somehow overlooked I feel. Maybe because it doesn't have a 'hit' and the length of the tracks. Nonetheless it is still a great record. Just listen to Gilmours solo on 'Dogs'. Up there with the one on 'Comfortably Numb' as his best.

That ranking is pretty much the same for me, and while it's not an album, I love PULSE (mainly for the live version of Comfortably Numb. I love Animals too, Dogs was actually the first Pink Floyd song I listened too when I was 18, starting uni in Paris, I remember a friend sending it to me via MSN and falling in love instantly. At the time I had a shitty phone that could store a bit of music, and for a while I functioned on the live version of Comfortably Numb, Dogs, Echoes and Shine on you crazy diamond. Not a bad gateway to Pink Floyd before starting to explore their discography in more detail.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
That ranking is pretty much the same for me, and while it's not an album, I love PULSE (mainly for the live version of Comfortably Numb. I love Animals too, Dogs was actually the first Pink Floyd song I listened too when I was 18, starting uni in Paris, I remember a friend sending it to me via MSN and falling in love instantly. At the time I had a shitty phone that could store a bit of music, and for a while I functioned on the live version of Comfortably Numb, Dogs, Echoes and Shine on you crazy diamond. Not a bad gateway to Pink Floyd before starting to explore their discography in more detail.
I'm not familiar with Pulse, but those four tracks would be about an hour of the most essentiel Pink Floyd there is. Definitely a great way starting to know them.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Every album they have is different in its own way. And yeah, Animals are definitely underrated. Would recommend it for someone who wants to get into their music along with The Wall/Dark side of the moon and then proceed onto other albums. At least that worked great for me.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fantastic to hear about all the comments about Pink Floyd. For me, just the very best of the very best rock bands.
And each of the band members are and have been brilliant in their own right.
Post Syd Barrett, David Gilmour is my favourite. Such an outstanding musician and in my view doesn't get anything like the credit that his skills deserve.
The very controversial Roger Waters is an excellent songwriter and rhythm guitarist but unfortunately his voice has deteriorated a little. Deja vu by him is wonderful.
As for favourite songs. Comfortably Numb is right up there as are any from DSOTM.
But Mother from The Wall takes some beating.
Please keep adding you comments about the best ever rock band and hopefully they will not become just a memory.

fergosaurus

They're in my top two favourite bands without a doubt.

Everything from The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here are excellent. Echoes is a great track as well.

Always had a soft spot for this song.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They're in my top two favourite bands without a doubt.

Everything from The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here are excellent. Echoes is a great track as well.

Always had a soft spot for this song.

Completely agree. No more blue sky is excellent. Shame it is not a bit longer.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Still remember the first time I heard Shine On You Crazy Diamond (was a live video).

That is such a soul finding experience.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't think the division bell gets enough love.

Revaulx

Hate The Wall.

Hate Gilmour’s whiney guitar.

Love the Syd stuff.

Love More, bits of Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Animals.

Indifferent about the rest.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Hate The Wall.

Hate Gilmour’s whiney guitar.

Love the Syd stuff.

Love More, bits of Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Animals.

Indifferent about the rest.
I'm curious.. Has it always been these albums you like the most from theirs? Or did your preferences change over the years?

Between them and Led Zeppelin it must have been something growing up in 1970s England.

Wish You Were Here is my favourite song but the first 20 minutes of Dark Side of The Moon have never been bettered.

Classical Mechanic

There's probably no musical act that has ever put on a show like Waters's 'The Wall' I saw it at Manchester MEN so it wasn't as large as this. The tickets weren't cheap but it was different level.

Amazing that a 70+ man can embody such power over an audience. I remember him in the full Nazi SS regalia on the side of the stage with a replica semi-automatic machine gun firing it into the audience with a crazed look on his face.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Was lucky enough to see them at Earls Court in 94. Incredible show and still maybe the best gig I’ve ever seen. If I remember rightly they played almost the entirety of DSotM in order.

Volumiza

Shine on after a spliff is an amazing experience.
Ha! I used to be a raver, I remember being at a party when I was about 18 and someone put Dark side of the moon on, it was probably the first time I’d ever heard them. I was under the influence and it blew my mind to listen to that album.

Last edited:

KanieKaned

Ha! I used to be a raver, I remember being at a party when I was about 18 and someone put Dark side of the moon on, it was probably the first time I’d ever heard them. I was under the influence and it blew my mind to listen to that album.
This pleases me, first time I heard them was literally a musical experience like war of the worlds by Jeff Wayne’s

Florida Man

Not sure if you fancy it, but I highly recommend taking a hit or 5 of acid and giving it a listen.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is also great as Syd Barrett includes, in my opinion, some easter eggs for space cadets.

Volumiza

This pleases me, first time I heard them was literally a musical experience like war of the worlds by Jeff Wayne’s
yeah. It is one of the few albums I rarely split up into separate tracks. If I listen to it, I listen to the whole thing, it feels wrong to do otherwise.