PL Title Race

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not even that it’s just a convenient argument, if you give Klopp the leniency to have 100m pound players on the bench I don’t see how to at negatively affects him or any manager to be honest.
Because we have no proof, we know exactly how Pep goes with the best team. We know exactly how Klopp goes with the underdog but we don't know vice versa. Klopps teams lack the control of Pep's so its quite likely they'd still win but drop more clangers, I'd imagine given Pep a weaker team would see a lot more draws with less wins and losses. Just because of the end to end nature of Klopp football.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I don't think people will ever admit it. The key is Pep Guarduola.
There is nothing special about the size or quality of Man City's squad. Their squad size looks exceptional because Guardiola has a way of getting a minimum level of performance from every member of his squad that no other manger in football seems to be able to muster. That means every member of the squad becomes useful.
Look at City's forward line in terms of quality and numbers...how many of them would genuinely get into our team?
In midfield they have Gundogan, Rodri KDB and an over the hill Fernandinho.
The same story in defence. In terms of squad size, I even think ours is bigger.
The key is that Guardiola gets every member of his squad playing at a decent level. And trouble is he seems to be the only manager in football capable of doing it. If we had their squad, we'd want half the players sold for not being good enough, yet Guardiola has use for them.
This.. and also this:

Most people agree:

Alisson and Mendy (sometimes even Martinez or De Gea) are better than Ederson
Trent and James are better than Walker
Trent's also better than Cancelo (until this season Robertson and Shaw were included in this too)
Van Dijk (often Rudiger too) is better than Dias and Laporte, while Matip is better than Stones
Kanté is better than Rodri
Salah and Mané are better than City's wingers
Lukaku, Ronaldo, Jota and Kane are better than Jesus

I could go on and do the same for most positions. The only City player- before this season- who most people agreed was the best in their position in the league was De Bruyne, really.

And like you say, people will discredit Pep by saying he's got world class players all over the pitch, but I'm pretty certain if I started another thread entitled "Which Premier League players would you call world class?" it would only really be De Bruyne and maybe Dias appearing on most lists. People change their appraisal of the squad depending on if they want to make Pep look like he's got an easy job or if they want to make their club look stronger than City.
I have nothing more to say about this subject,really..

Hammondo

The football is aesthetically pleasing, but then, who denies Pep is a top class coach? What part of him having, and using, resources that widen the gap to an insurmountable distance at league level does that omit?
Well apparently his players are not as good as 2008, so I am not sure it does. I guess he didn't spend it well.

AshRK

Are people still arguing whether Pep is a top manager or not? He definitely is and wish we had him here but there is also a truth he wouldn't have had this much freedom here. Pep at City suits him perfectly. He is bigger than the club and that's what he needs. He can do or say whatever he wants and their fans or their ex legends (if they have any) won't bat an eye.

ExecutionerWasp001

I doubt anybody would call 90s EPL the strongest league in the world, it was clearly behind Serie A and La Liga.

Current EPL is undoubtedly the strongest league in the world by a big margin, even though you can say it is thanks to the financial crisis in Serie A/Italy and the current mess that is Barcelona.
Where did i say the 90's PL was the strongest League in the world?

My responses in the thread have not been concerning the strength of the PL compared to other leagues.

My viewpoint was that the utd of 2008 were the best ever PL team.

The PL is where the money is at the moment. That doesn't mean the league within itself is strong. You have 1 team with a massive financial advantage over the rest. It's exactly the same situation in France, Germany & until recently Italy. Spain was also comparable although there were two teams in with a shot rather than one. Nobody considers these leagues strong within themselves as it's the same teams winning every year due to the financial disparity between them & the rest of the league.

But the big clubs are, City, Liverpool, and Chelsea are all very good at the moment. All top European teams, among the favs for the CL, all of them. I don't remember the PL having 3 teams as good as this.
English teams are doing well in Europe now as the PL is now the wealthiest League. This has coincided with the financial crises in the Spanish & Italian leagues making their teams weaker. The current City, Liverpool & Chelsea teams would struggle against the great Barcelona, AC Milan, Utd & Real Madrid teams of a few years ago. The last 4 in last years CL comprised of 3 oil clubs & Bayern.

Righteous Steps

Because we have no proof, we know exactly how Pep goes with the best team. We know exactly how Klopp goes with the underdog but we don't know vice versa. Klopps teams lack the control of Pep's so its quite likely they'd still win but drop more clangers, I'd imagine given Pep a weaker team would see a lot more draws with less wins and losses. Just because of the end to end nature of Klopp football.
But we do have proof in that when Klopp has spent money he has rarely got it wrong, most of his big signings have paid off, so it’s a bit funny to think that him being able to sign more of these type players and have a bigger better squad would be a hinderance? Seems like clutching at straws to me. And Liverpool’s football hasn’t been end to end for a while, not as controlled as city but still average 2nd most possession and many a time have the players who make the most completed passes in the league.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
We know exactly how Klopp goes with the underdog but we don't know vice versa.
We hear constantly how Liverpool have the best player in the league (arguably the world), the best centre back and full backs, the best dm and how Klopp is such a genius. This underdog stuff just holds no weight.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
The mental gymnastics some people do in order to downplay Guardiola and his influence is very funny and sometimes also pathetic to see.

SAFMUTD

53 - Man City (1st)
43 - Chelsea (2nd)
42 - Liverpool (3rd)

Ligue 1 is the only top-five European division with a larger gap between first and second (13 points) this season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pep is by far the best coach in world football. Anybody trying to argue against this is just wrong.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But we do have proof in that when Klopp has spent money he has rarely got it wrong, most of his big signings have paid off, so it’s a bit funny to think that him being able to sign more of these type players and have a bigger better squad would be a hinderance? Seems like clutching at straws to me. And Liverpool’s football hasn’t been end to end for a while, not as controlled as city but still average 2nd most possession and many a time have the players who make the most completed passes in the league.
Liverpool are something of an impossibility in how they play honestly. They average nearly 60% possession per game while simultaneously being one of the most direct/vertical sides in the league. It's the most impressive thing honestly, the sheer difficulty of doing what they do and doing it that well

And to be honest this has something of the 19/20 season to it, in that liverpool and city are a lot closer in terms of performances than their points tally indicates. City are actually only slightly better, but they've had all the luck and so the title race is already over

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Souness saying “this wasn’t the Liverpool of the last 4 years” - did last year not count? It hasn’t been that Liverpool for some time Graham. And the biggest myth there’s ever been is this idea Chelsea are at City’s level based on a Cup Final - they aren’t. They’ve never shown anywhere close to the consistency required. They were Leicester not bottling the last game of the season away from finishing 5th last year for fecks sake.

Zen

Pep is by far the best coach in world football. Anybody trying to argue against this is just wrong.
I absolutely agree, but until he can translate into dominating the CL so similarly, it's not gonna be unanimous - which is absurd. Inter was a bit of misfire, Chelsea was the biggest fluke in history the first time, Bayern lost to the 3 Spanish teams that were so unbelievable due to his influence on that league, and City - well yeah, losing to Lyon, Monaco and Spurs isn't going to age well... but still, probably about to hit another potential 100pt season... absurd.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Liverpool are something of an impossibility in how they play honestly. They average nearly 60% possession per game while simultaneously being one of the most direct/vertical sides in the league. It's the most impressive thing honestly, the sheer difficulty of doing what they do and doing it that well

And to be honest this has something of the 19/20 season to it, in that liverpool and city are a lot closer in terms of performances than their points tally indicates. City are actually only slightly better, but they've had all the luck and so the title race is already over
Man City are far superior only salah heroics keeping liverpool in it

They proved it at anfield & they’ve been even better since

JuriM

Catching City seems unrealistic, but seeing Chelsea & Liverpool coming closer is welcoming trend, let them share or drop more points.

Castia

City will win this by 20 points

Liverpool about to lose Salah and Mane will be a massive loss for them

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Man City are far superior only salah heroics keeping liverpool in it
Overall team performances are pretty much the same. City just better individually, their players making fewer mistakes and they're getting every lucky bounce going their way

It's 19/20 in reverse basically

They proved it at anfield & they’ve been even better since
What did they do? It was a game of two halves ending in a draw which was the correct result

Ludens the Red

Most people agree:

Alisson and Mendy (sometimes even Martinez or De Gea) are better than Ederson
Trent and James are better than Walker
Trent's also better than Cancelo (until this season Robertson and Shaw were included in this too)
Van Dijk (often Rudiger too) is better than Dias and Laporte, while Matip is better than Stones
Kanté is better than Rodri
Salah and Mané are better than City's wingers
Lukaku, Ronaldo, Jota and Kane are better than Jesus

I could go on and do the same for most positions. The only City player- before this season- who most people agreed was the best in their position in the league was De Bruyne, really.

And like you say, people will discredit Pep by saying he's got world class players all over the pitch, but I'm pretty certain if I started another thread entitled "Which Premier League players would you call world class?" it would only really be De Bruyne and maybe Dias appearing on most lists. People change their appraisal of the squad depending on if they want to make Pep look like he's got an easy job or if they want to make their club look stronger than City.
You’re being a bit naughty here. Why have you done the comparisons in that manner?
why not actually do it position by position player by player. Why do you use one Liverpool player and then say he’s better than two city players.
Also on what fecking planet and who was saying Martinez and Mendy were better than Ederson?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
City just have so much strength in depth, it doesnt matter if they miss key players. KDB for example, much lauded as the bestest player in the premier league bar none, missed a chunk of the 18/19 season and last year yet they were able to win the league on both occasions. Take the best player out of liverpool (eg VVD) or chelsea or any other PL team and watch them struggle.

They also plan really well when it comes to replacing their stars. Yaya toure, kompany, david silva, fernandinho have all been replaced with quality players. Even Aguero, one of the best strikers in the PL left city yet it seems they havent missed him one bit! Meanwhile United are still trying to find a capable midfielder, right back and center back! Pep has been a huge part of their success, but its safe to assume that even when he does leave, they will carry on winning titles and the structure in the football club is so good.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Absolutely. And despite their spending, he is absolutely operating with a squad that has obvious holes. It's his coaching and tactics that have covered these up. It's what SAF did multiple times here.

I'll say it again, the biggest indictment of the board/Glazers running of the club is how we haven't been able to attract either Pep or to a lesser extent Klopp to the club. Yes, the timings never lined up perfectly but for a club like ours they shouldn't need to.

The success of our bitterest rivals can in part be levied against the (relative) abject failure we have been since Ferguson and Gill left.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I absolutely agree, but until he can translate into dominating the CL so similarly, it's not gonna be unanimous - which is absurd. Inter was a bit of misfire, Chelsea was the biggest fluke in history the first time, Bayern lost to the 3 Spanish teams that were so unbelievable due to his influence on that league, and City - well yeah, losing to Lyon, Monaco and Spurs isn't going to age well... but still, probably about to hit another potential 100pt season... absurd.
Using the CL is daft but suits some people, only 3 managers have won it more times than Pep (3 instead of 2) and nobody talks about any of those 3 as the best ever.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Overall team performances are pretty much the same. City just better individually, their players making fewer mistakes and they're getting every lucky bounce going their way

It's 19/20 in reverse basically

What did they do? It was a game of two halves ending in a draw which was the correct result
i felt they outplayed liverpool
Think they’ve been far superior these last few months too
Don’t think it’s quite finished though & liverpool are the only team who can reel them in, as unlikely as it seems

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just shows what a drop City had the year Liverpool won it. It needs another one of those seasons for anyone to stand a chance

Both Liverpool and Chelsea are great sides with great managers and yet both are out of the title race and it's January 2nd

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Using the CL is daft but suits some people, only 3 managers have won it more times than Pep (3 instead of 2) and nobody talks about any of those 3 as the best ever.
Well, Ancelotti is regarded as one of the best managers in history, even though Zidane and Bob Paisley(who also won 3 UCL) don't.

Hughie77

Well it's over again isn't it. Do City drop 12 points . Can't see that . And that's why the ESL is not dead yet, is a prosession in this league what they want ? Not very good advert is it when it's a also ran after the top 1 . If we win our games in hand 5 pts off 3rd that's closer than 3rd is from top.

copen1945

The apologists for the Man City owners must be happy. Liverpool and Chelsea aren't putting up too much of resistance.

432JuanMata

Well it's over again isn't it. Do City drop 12 points . Can't see that . And that's why the ESL is not dead yet, is a prosession in this league what they want ? Not very good advert is it when it's a also ran after the top 1 . If we win our games in hand 5 pts off 3rd that's closer than 3rd is from top.
No matter if people don’t think this city side is the best in PL history it doesn’t take away from the fact that they made the league the hardest to win in PL history.
City require you get 90 points just to challenge and teams can’t do that consistently

Guy Incognito

The only competition comes from the race for top four.

City are in a league of their own. Klopp did a great job to squeeze out a league title out of his squad.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Lets take a moment...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Next year, we should do a thread PL title race August to Jan. Atleast it would have some competition.

Anyways, no one care about City . They can have all the titles as they want and yet, they would still be second best in Manchester. Let alone be in England .

Bit of salty yes !

Pintu

Ancelotti did it with 2 different clubs. Mourinho, Heynckes, and Hitzfeld also won it with different clubs.

Ancelotti's is rightfully regarded as one of CL's best ever, he did it first with a Milan that hasn't been competitive in the CL final in almost 10 years. And he also won Madrid their first in a decade. But his overall league record is not as impressive as Guardiola's.

Pep's only CL titles were won with a Barcelona that had won it recently and Messi came along in the meantime, and the fact he couldn't replicate the success with Bayern is damming. He is the only manager that failed 3 years running to take Bayern to one single final. Even Van Gall somehow made it to one final, and his squad nowhere near as stacked as the one Pep inherited.

Reactions: oates

Ogaranya

I feel so sad seeing our blue noisy neighbours waxing strong while we are detoriating, a good no-nonsense tactician of a manager will also make a difference.

Lets not nag about pep spending, he spend judiciously on quality players, atleast Pep can't spend £80m on Maguire neither can he be comfortable with a squad of Mcfred, Martial, Lingard and the other overpaid average players.

Hammondo

Where did i say the 90's PL was the strongest League in the world?

My responses in the thread have not been concerning the strength of the PL compared to other leagues.

My viewpoint was that the utd of 2008 were the best ever PL team.

The PL is where the money is at the moment. That doesn't mean the league within itself is strong. You have 1 team with a massive financial advantage over the rest. It's exactly the same situation in France, Germany & until recently Italy. Spain was also comparable although there were two teams in with a shot rather than one. Nobody considers these leagues strong within themselves as it's the same teams winning every year due to the financial disparity between them & the rest of the league.

English teams are doing well in Europe now as the PL is now the wealthiest League. This has coincided with the financial crises in the Spanish & Italian leagues making their teams weaker. The current City, Liverpool & Chelsea teams would struggle against the great Barcelona, AC Milan, Utd & Real Madrid teams of a few years ago. The last 4 in last years CL comprised of 3 oil clubs & Bayern.
A few years ago? I think the current City and Liverpool would be better than them.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
City under Pep is just a relentless machine - everyone knows how they play. Yet, not many teams can stop or counter them. One has to be perfect & have tons of luck to get a result against them in this form.

Liverpool team is ageing - same level of pressing has gone. New players aren't at same level thats required to match this City over a season.

In a one of cup game, Chelsea or Liverpool can beat City but over the 38 game league, City are winning this on a canter this season

Dominos

Just shows what a drop City had the year Liverpool won it. It needs another one of those seasons for anyone to stand a chance

Both Liverpool and Chelsea are great sides with great managers and yet both are out of the title race and it's January 2nd
Liverpool got 99 points that season to be fair, that's the sort of points tally where most of the time it's irrelevant what the other teams are doing. Obviously City have proven capable of matching it but realistically they're not going to get that in most seasons.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not saying that money is the only factor in city's success, that would be foolish. They have a great manager, a good structure etc etc. But let's not forget, this is a club that spent 100m on a bench warmer. 100 fecking million! Yet we hear nothing from the media because it's just sort of accepted now that this is what city do!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
City under Pep is just a relentless machine - everyone knows how they play. Yet, not many teams can stop or counter them. One has to be perfect & have tons of luck to get a result against them in this form.

Liverpool team is ageing - same level of pressing has gone. New players aren't at same level thats required to match this City over a season.

In a one of cup game, Chelsea or Liverpool can beat City but over the 38 game league, City are winning this on a canter this season
We did last year, beat them 3 on the spin. And the CL final we outplayed them and deserved it, but yes, theyre so well coached.

They will hit a wobble though, its how they deal with it that will matter