PL Title Race

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It's funny that this bugbear popped back up as soon as Lukaku went down - think there's a lot of truth in what you've posted here but it's also why we bought Lukaku. The irony is that we've been running him out against the bigger teams where he is probably a worse option and as soon as we need him against the likes of Burnley he's gone down.

That said, I'm interested to see how he fits back in - the tactical wrinkle Tuchel has been using in his absence has been positioning our wingbacks infield at times as auxiliary 10s. Having more bodies close to him can only suit Lukaku, I'd think, especially when Chilwell and James are willing runners in behind.
Personally, I do not rate Lukaku and think he still the very limited player that Utd were desperate to get rid of. Personally, with him in the side or not I don't think Chelsea improve their output that much. The reason I say this, is because without him in the side, the front line seems to be more fluid and creates more chances, but doesn't finish them; with him in the side, they create a lot less as he primarily is just standing around upfront front pointing and not pressing, but then finishing off the easy to moderate chances that come his way.

For me, it is kind of a zero sum game whether he is playing for Chelsea or not.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Personally, I do not rate Lukaku and think he still the very limited player that Utd were desperate to get rid of. Personally, with him in the side or not I don't think Chelsea improve their output that much. The reason I say this, is because without him in the side, the front line seems to be more fluid and creates more chances, but doesn't finish them; with him in the side, they create a lot less as he primarily is just standing around upfront front pointing and not pressing, but then finishing off the easy to moderate chances that come his way.

For me, it is kind of a zero sum game whether he is playing for Chelsea or not.
Yeah I don't think it's an optimal fit - he's much more of a battering ram than a scalpel. That said, I do think there are ways to fit him in better and maximise his strengths to a greater extent, and I have faith that Tuchel will sort it out.

I do think you're right that our attack has looked more fluid without him, but at the same time that's also coincided with our wingback patterns being tweaked. All that said, I still don't think we drop points against Burnley with him in the team frankly regardless of whether he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
XG of course. Chelsea has scored 5 goals more than their xG, and conceded 6 fewer. You've been very good, but you're still overperforming with the xG so far this season.
Liverpool did overperform their under stats in their title winning season.In fact almost all teams in their title winning season they mostly outperform those stats. So why they were able to win it in my opinion.

Not mean to say Chelsea should win the title but they have every chance. Chelsea not yet start to play in top of their game yet have three point advantage shows they can maintain sustainable challenge through out the season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Liverpool did overperform their under stats in their title winning season.In fact almost all teams in their title winning season they mostly outperform those stats. So why they were able to win it in my opinion.

Not mean to say Chelsea should win the title but they have every chance. Chelsea not yet start to play in top of their game yet have three point advantage shows they can maintain sustainable challenge through out the season.
Oh of course Chelsea can win the title, but regression comes eventually, most times the same season, sometimes the next season. It's not a big regression anyway as Chelsea have been good, but the point is they've still been extremely clinical and not conceded as many as they probably should have. A draw against Burnley despite dominating is a perfect example of the occasional unlucky result that will happen to balance out a run where you've probably been a bit lucky the extent of how good it was.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Sometimes a draw against a Burnley is needed on a run. We were not as sharp in the second half. In the PL it has to be all for 90 minutes against every team.

Josh 76

Sometimes a draw against a Burnley is needed on a run. We were not as sharp in the second half. In the PL it has to be all for 90 minutes against every team.
Good point.
In the treble year, Utd lost at home to Middlesbrough in December. It was probably the kick up the ass we needed.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think it'll be between City and Chelsea. Liverpool don't keep it tight enough at the back to get enough results consistently over the long run. I think they'll have too many crazy matches like the 3-3 against Brentford, the 2-2 against Brighton, or the 2-3 against West Ham where things are open enough that a little bad luck or good finishing on the other side deprives them of the points.

I predicted Chelsea before the season began and could still see them doing it. But at this point I would probably bet on City. They just have a very impressive ability to completely stifle other sides while also creating enough chances to win. And while they're three points behind Chelsea they have a very favorable schedule until January, with West Ham and Wolves the only teams they still need to play that are in the current top half of the table. I can see them ripping off 22-24 points over that eight game stretch and being top by the new year.

taribhumpu

I think it'll be between City and Chelsea. Liverpool don't keep it tight enough at the back to get enough results consistently over the long run. I think they'll have too many crazy matches like the 3-3 against Brentford, the 2-2 against Brighton, or the 2-3 against West Ham where things are open enough that a little bad luck or good finishing on the other side deprives them of the points.

I predicted Chelsea before the season began and could still see them doing it. But at this point I would probably bet on City. They just have a very impressive ability to completely stifle other sides while also creating enough chances to win. And while they're three points behind Chelsea they have a very favorable schedule until January, with West Ham and Wolves the only teams they still need to play that are in the current top half of the table. I can see them ripping off 22-24 points over that eight game stretch and being top by the new year.
City or chelsea for me too. How pumped are you guys for your game against the pool? I see another draw or loss for pool.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
City or chelsea for me too. How pumped are you guys for your game against the pool? I see another draw or loss for pool.
I think we'll probably lose but I'm very excited to see how it goes. More than the result I really just want us to play adventurously, try to exert control over the match, and give them our best shot, instead of just bunkering down for 90 minutes and hoping to scrape a draw. To me how we play will tell us more about Arsenal's progress than the result.

always_hoping

I backed Chelsea before the season started so I'm going to stick with them.
Same as, Liverpool and City the only contenders and I would expect a big points gap between them and the rest by Christmas.

Can only see Bayern Munich stopping one of City, Chelsea, Liverpool from winning this seasons CL.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Same as, Liverpool and City the only contenders and I would expect a big points gap between them and the rest by Christmas.

Can only see Bayern Munich stopping one of City, Chelsea, Liverpool from winning this seasons CL.
The idea that Chelsea can win back to back CL's is just nuts to me. It's possible but the idea of it happening is just so absurd.

taribhumpu

The idea that Chelsea can win back to back CL's is just nuts to me. It's possible but the idea of it happening is just so absurd.
IMO Tuchel will probably prioritize PL than CL this time. Although he can win both and more.

always_hoping

Real Madrid won three in a row CL titles recently and during that time won just 1 domestic league.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

City already got knocked out by Lyon, Tottenham, and Monaco, and they looked way better in the EPL when that happened.

They can lose to more teams than just Bayern Munich.

always_hoping

City already got knocked out by Lyon, Tottenham, and Monaco, and they looked way better in the EPL when that happened.

They have flattered to deceive in those CL seasons and I believe they took the lessons of those defeats on board.

Reached the final last season so the next step is winning it and I only see one of Bayern, Liverpool or Tuchels Chelsea stopping them this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Manchester City :(

Everything else is an illusion

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They have flattered to deceive in those CL seasons and I believe they took the lessons of those defeats on board.

Reached the final last season so the next step is winning it and I only see one of Bayern, Liverpool or Tuchels Chelsea stopping them this season.
They haven't looked anything like their best this year, so I'm not sure that's true. Unless they get back to their best in the near future.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I said Chelsea and Liverpool before the start of the season and I still think those two finish ahead of City. City should have bought Kane instead of Grealish and they'd be blowing teams away.
Spurs or West ham to finish 4th ahead of us :(

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City

They haven't looked anything like their best this year, so I'm not sure that's true. Unless they get back to their best in the near future.
Chelsea had a far better team from 2004 to 2008 than they did in 2012, yet fell short in the former. Just because the City team now isn't looking as explosive as it was (despite still looking pretty good), it doesn't mean they can't be more pragmatic.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea had a far better team from 2004 to 2008 than they did in 2012, yet fell short in the former. Just because the City team now isn't looking as explosive as it was (despite still looking pretty good), it doesn't mean they can't be more pragmatic.
It's perfectly possible that you could win the CL, I just don't see you this season so far as the unstoppable force you have been in recent years. This could still change of course if history repeats and you go on another crazy win streak.

lex talionis

There is no slicing and dicing between the three. They're all in it until the last whistle this season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think we’re too open defensively compared to City or Chelsea. We scored three against Brentford and didn’t win. Chelsea scored one and did.

You can’t win a title if you need three or more goals to win a game.

Maniron

Does anybody think that West Ham can do a Leicester? They are on a great run and growing in confidence.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I really feel like City will walk it. Not sure why, but I don't see Chelsea and Liverpool being nearly good enough to challenge.

Irwin99

Does anybody think that West Ham can do a Leicester? They are on a great run and growing in confidence.
Most likely not. The Leicester thing was a complete anomaly. Also he's getting a lot of praise right now but Moyes is an inherently cautious manager I feel and I just don't think he'd manage to pull off what Leicester did, even if by some miracle they got close.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not against this kind of competition. When Leicester did it all the big team were having an off year.
Yup. Leicester also had no European football, whereas West Ham are a club with a thin roster dealing with European football for the first time in a long while.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not with West Ham playing on Thursday nights. As others have said, the level is higher in terms of the competition as well.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Manchester City for me.

Already taken maximum points against Chelsea away and a point at Anfield.

They have a great fixture coming up for Chrissy and the depth and quality to deal with the congestion. Also the transfer window is there to add to the squad which they probably will.

Pep has dealt with this situation before many times so with his team and quality I fully expect there'll be a considerable gap come February / March.

There are other factors as well which are trivial, but City seem to be in the best position to take the EPL out this season.

Redfrog

Real Madrid won three in a row CL titles recently and during that time won just 1 domestic league.
Yes but that was exceptional and they are the only team to win it back to back ! They had one of the best team on the pitch as well. To win it once is a great fit already, to win it back to back, well only one team have done it, in the modern era anyway.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Most likely not. The Leicester thing was a complete anomaly. Also he's getting a lot of praise right now but Moyes is an inherently cautious manager I feel and I just don't think he'd manage to pull off what Leicester did, even if by some miracle they got close.
Yep, the United Moyes will return with a vengeance if there's even talk of them and the title. Infact it did in the top 4 run in last season, they were 4th with the kindest run in then won once in five games to dive out of contention.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It'll be between Chelsea and City, with Chelsea being favorites with the narrowest of margins. Its going to be close though, and not liverpool city close where both of them were unbelievable and ended up on 96-97, there'll be a lot of dropped points and the winning total will be in the mid to low eighties. Could also have gd making the difference.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's a shame for a United fan currently because even though these teams can look good on their day -

They don't look overly consistent either.

City don't have a striker and whilst it's not the biggest issue, it does make it slightly easier to play against Grealish is Gabriel Jesus as inverted wingers. Loss some points to some lower league teams they don't normally do.

Liverpool are well coached but seem like their slightly fallen from their peak they were about 2 or 3 years ago. Lost some points all over the place.

Chelsea are new and well coached but again - you don't look at the players and particularly find them scary when facing Lukaku, Hudson Odoi, Mason Mount or werner etc even if they keep producing. Lost some points vs Burnley.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It'll be between Chelsea and City, with Chelsea being favorites with the narrowest of margins. Its going to be close though, and not liverpool city close where both of them were unbelievable and ended up on 96-97, there'll be a lot of dropped points and the winning total will be in the mid to low eighties. Could also have gd making the difference.
Chelsea still a third favourite because they didn't show the consistent form for past four seasons in league. Of course tuchel have to make them play consistently to win especially against middle and lower table teams. This season Burnley game just a remainder how some times Chelsea made easy three points into mess.

Bestietom

It's between Liverpool and City again. Chelsea and West ham will fade away.
A new manager and a couple of midfielders in January and we could maybe get into 4th spot.

Jean claude van hire

It's between Liverpool and City again. Chelsea and West ham will fade away.
A new manager and a couple of midfielders in January and we could maybe get into 4th spot.
I don’t agree Chelsea will fade away to be honest. The Afcon will hurt Liverpool in January and they don’t have the squad depth of the other two. It’s between City and Chelsea in my eyes and if I had to predict an order I would go City, Chelsea and the Liverpool. And yes agree with your last point, 4th is very much up for grabs for us.

Bestietom

I don’t agree Chelsea will fade away to be honest. The Afcon will hurt Liverpool in January and they don’t have the squad depth of the other two. It’s between City and Chelsea in my eyes and if I had to predict an order I would go City, Chelsea and the Liverpool. And yes agree with your last point, 4th is very much up for grabs for us.
Liverpool and City are the best two teams so far. Chelsea still has to play big games that City and Liverpool have already played, and they also have the World club series to play. They are not as good as any of the big two yet.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It's a shame for a United fan currently because even though these teams can look good on their day -

They don't look overly consistent either.
Felt the same when you guys won the league in 2010/11 season. In recent times you were definitely the worst champions that year, 80 points and 78 goals is not stand out in the slightest.

Liverpool and City are the best two teams so far. Chelsea still has to play big games that City and Liverpool have already played, and they also have the World club series to play. They are not as good as any of the big two yet.
Really need to check our fixtures. We have played all the top teams apart from Man Utd. Being home or away is irrelevant at this stage.