Plan For Curb On Foreigners

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
Billy Bollocks said:
Why do Arse fans always play the xenophobe card?

It's not xenophobic to want to see British players playing for a British club. To not have one in the whole squad is a disgrace.

If anyone is xenophobic it's Wenger. He has overlooked many good British, instead opting for mediocre foreigners.
Maybe he should feck of somewhere else if he doesn't like the standard of players in this country.

yes like pennant - hes moved onto much greater things....

Namliam

Useless WUM
Fantasy League Champion & King of Weboggle
Billy Bollocks said:
Why do Arse fans always play the xenophobe card?

It's not xenophobic to want to see British players playing for a British club. To not have one in the whole squad is a disgrace.

If anyone is xenophobic it's Wenger. He has overlooked many good British, instead opting for mediocre foreigners.

Maybe he should feck of somewhere else if he doesn't like the standard of players in this country.
Who are the 'many good British players' that Wenger has overlooked?

Do you mean average players like Upson? Sidwell? Bentley? Pennant?

Or do you mean unaffordable players like Ferdinand or Rooney?

It always amuses me when people act as if Wenger has overlooked some fantastic English players.

Its not surprising that we can't afford the best English players, when clubs like United pay 18 million for a player like Carrick.

Liverpool_FC Bollocks

Are Upson, Bently and Sidwell any worse than Cygan, Gilberto and some other average French nonce?

Sidwell is a cracking player by the way, and was a great prospect at Arsenal, yet Venga let him go and decided to look abroad.

Namliam

Useless WUM
Billy Bollocks said:
Are Upson, Bently and Sidwell any worse than Cygan, Gilberto and some other average French nonce?

Sidwell is a cracking player by the way, and was a great prospect at Arsenal, yet Venga let him go and decided to look abroad.
Sidwell was let go because we had Vieira, Gilberto and Edu who were all better players than he is.

Cygan has never been more than a bit part player for Arsenal. Upson is no more than an average player, as is obvious from the fact that he went on to play for Birmingham City.

Do you seriously think Bentley would ever play in a team containing Henry, Bergkamp, van Persie and Aliadiere?

Can you name me even one English player who was overlooked by Wenger, who went on to be a player who was good enough for Arsenal?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Bentley is better than Aliadiere.
Upson is better than Cygan.
My left testicle is better than Grimandi.

Admittedly, none of the them are good enough for the Arsenal first team.

Can't blame Wenger for looking abroad.

sincher

Actually, my left testicle would probably make a better right-back than Hoyte.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
sincher said:
Bentley is better than Aliadiere.
Upson is better than Cygan.
My left testicle is better than Grimandi.

Admittedly, none of the them are good enough for the Arsenal first team.

Can't blame Wenger for looking abroad.
Bentley and Upson were let go because they told Wenger they want to be in the first team, they simply are not good enough to be in our first team so they asked to be sold. Was Upson better than Toure/Campbell because if he had stayed that is who he would be competing with for the first team.

Billy Bollocks said:

The same Sidwell that was chasing shadows the other week? Should we of kept him and not bought in a player like Fabregas? Gilberto is one of the best DMs in the world today and has been brilliant for us in the league and to compare him to Sidwell shows just how much you know about football.

Liverpool_FC Bollocks

JazzG said:
Gilberto is one of the best DMs in the world today
:lol:

Get a grip. Sidwell is a good young player and would have flourished with the better players around him. Venga just doesn't trust British players.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Obscene ruling if it comes in. If English players are good enough to play, then they will play. Nobody gains if you prop them up, including the International team.

It's of great benefit to have home grown and/or English players in your team, really it is, but you cant force teams to. I dont think there is any way many English players could have the technique to play the sort of game Arsenal do for instance.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Billy Bollocks said:

Get a grip. Sidwell is a good young player and would have flourished with the better players around him. Venga just doesn't trust British players.
So who is better than Gilberto? Apart from Makelele you are struggling and he has shown over this and last season he is a very good player. Not that good in an attacking sense but that isn't his job. He breaks up attacks, fills in gaps and always provides an outlet if a player gets trapped. There certainly isn't an English player better than him at doing his job.

He doesn't trust them as they ain't good enough. Sidwell is nothing more than an average player, harsh but true.

VanNisteldictator said:
Obscene ruling if it comes in. If English players are good enough to play, then they will play. Nobody gains if you prop them up, including the International team.

It's of great benefit to have home grown and/or English players in your team, really it is, but you cant force teams to. I dont think there is any way many English players could have the technique to play the sort of game Arsenal do for instance.
WTF? Van making sticking up for Arsenal. I don't believe what I'm seeing....

Look at this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5232952.stm Trevor Brooking on skysports gave an interview about how English players at grass root levels are struggling and he was at some youth centre and talked about how poor the kids were. He said it was a problem all over the country and this is why technically England are still behind many countries. Too much emphasis on getting stuck in and work rate but not enough on the technical side of the game. Look at players like Kaka and then look at someone like Lampard. Lampard is a good player but Kaka is technically far superior to him and will go on to become a much better player.

The problem won't be solved by stopping foreign players coming in, in the early nineties this premier league was so far behind it was a joke but many top foreign players coming in have helped clubs compete in Europe. The problem will be solved by focusing on the problem at grass root level and making sure the next generation get a proper footballing education.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
vardamir1 said:
what always stumpts xenophobes is the following question: which foreigner at arsenal would you like to see replaced by a British player; which British player and why?
Replace Thierry Henry with Peter Crouch. Too many Frenchmen in the Arsenal side, a second Englishmen would help your claim to multiculturalism.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
JazzG said:
So who is better than Gilberto? Apart from Makelele you are struggling and he has shown over this and last season he is a very good player. Not that good in an attacking sense but that isn't his job. He breaks up attacks, fills in gaps and always provides an outlet if a player gets trapped. There certainly isn't an English player better than him at doing his job.

He doesn't trust them as they ain't good enough. Sidwell is nothing more than an average player, harsh but true.

WTF? Van making sticking up for Arsenal. I don't believe what I'm seeing....

Look at this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5232952.stm Trevor Brooking on skysports gave an interview about how English players at grass root levels are struggling and he was at some youth centre and talked about how poor the kids were. He said it was a problem all over the country and this is why technically England are still behind many countries. Too much emphasis on getting stuck in and work rate but not enough on the technical side of the game. Look at players like Kaka and then look at someone like Lampard. Lampard is a good player but Kaka is technically far superior to him and will go on to become a much better player.

The problem won't be solved by stopping foreign players coming in, in the early nineties this premier league was so far behind it was a joke but many top foreign players coming in have helped clubs compete in Europe. The problem will be solved by focusing on the problem at grass root level and making sure the next generation get a proper footballing education.
I agree with you and I agree with Brooking, i've always thought there is too much a 'get rid of it' and 'get stuck in' culture at grass roots level. A lot could be helped if pitches were better too, the weather largely effects that true, but a bit of funding for some free astroturf pitches wouldnt go a miss from local councils, if we're serious about trying to improve technique.

Sticking English players in the team because theyre English wont help them flourish, they will still struggle and it could do more damage for their long term prospects, plus the overall standard of the Premiership would decrease even further and the gap between the Premiership standard and World/European Cup level would widen. Moreover no club or manager has any duty to the international team.

Shit idea. Let the best players play and those not good enough fight for their place.

That said, Arsenal do lose a lot from not having English players in their defence at least IMO, but that's your prerogative.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
JazzG said:
Look at players like Kaka and then look at someone like Lampard. Lampard is a good player but Kaka is technically far superior to him and will go on to become a much better player.
That's bollocks mate. You need all sorts to make a team...a team of Kakas would get beaten by a team of Lampards...albeit, that's a slightly bizarre image

Lampard's performed with amazing consistency over the last few years, if England regularly produced players of his ability we'd be class

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
think this ruling is unfair.....but you can have very good home nation players being kept out by foreigners...thus preventing local players getting games...so what happens to England...would think the Ingerland fans would like this...

Namliam

Useless WUM
VanNisteldictator said:

Spot on.

Namliam

Useless WUM
Billy Bollocks said:

Thats pure speculation. So far, he's done nothing to prove Wenger wrong.

You're opinion that Wenger dosen't trust British players is completely unsubstantiated.

Jaxson

Billy Bollocks said:
If English players werent so over-priced due to the circus act we have of a media then maybe he might.
Why have an averagish english player for £7m when you can get an above average foreigner for the same price.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
RedCanuck said:
It's hardly xenophobic. Arsenal don't develop players, they poach them from other (foreign) clubs.
Bollocks.

Validate that silly comment please.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Billy Bollocks said:

You certainly know your football...top marks.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Plechazunga said:
That's bollocks mate. You need all sorts to make a team...a team of Kakas would get beaten by a team of Lampards...albeit, that's a slightly bizarre image

Lampard's performed with amazing consistency over the last few years, if England regularly produced players of his ability we'd be class
I don't think you are getting the point mate. I'm not putting down Lampard, nor am I saying you need a bunch of players all as technically sound as Kaka. I'm saying Kaka is better technically. Look at his performances this season for Milan, they have been breath taking and right now he is looked at as the best in the world. Lampard is one of the best attacking midfield players England has produced but his main strength is his work rate and shot, his dribbling or passing is over-hyped imo. Brazilian players are in general much better technically that the English and it has been like that from when I can remember, the reason is at a young level their technique is tested and worked upon. I remember seeing this documentary and the kids there are given smaller footballs which are harder to control, they play with that to improve their touch and control, how many play on the beach as if you can control a ball there you can easily control it on grass. Look at Dutch players, again from a young age their technical skills are trained. Most of the rejects from the Ajax academies are probably much better at a technical level then the kids here.

It is a harsh reality and instead of blaming managers/clubs here why don't people try and do something about it. Kids these days are more worried about playing on their computers where as 20 years ago they would be in the park or street playing games.

sincher

Donado said:
Bollocks.

Validate that silly comment please.
Current Arsenal squad players bought young (not necessarily 'poached') from other clubs in Europe:

Fabregas, Senderos, Djourou, Clichy, Diaby, Van Persie, Toure, Eboue, Flamini, Song, Aliadiere, Walcott

Current Arsenal squad players brought through their youth system:

Hoyte (shit)

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but you can't say you don't do it.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
sincher said:
Current Arsenal squad players bought young (not necessarily 'poached') from other clubs in Europe:

Fabregas, Senderos, Djourou, Clichy, Diaby, Van Persie, Toure, Eboue, Flamini, Song, Aliadiere, Walcott

Current Arsenal squad players brought through their youth system:

Hoyte (shit)

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but you can't say you don't do it.
Would you say Rossis come through our youth system though? He has played there for a few years!

What about Martin, bought at 16 from Wimbledon?

Didnt we nabb Giggs off City too?

Most young players are signed from somewhere. How long do they need to spend in the youth/reserve ranks to constitute having come through our system?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
There're about 7 to 8 kids you didn't mention who're part of the reserve set up and are English.There's been a consistent flow of maybe not necessarily top players through the youth ranks(possible exception of Ashley Cole) in the Wenger era...And Red Canuck's post was non specific and seemed to suggest that the youth system consists of only 'poached' players, whatever he might mean by that.

Anyway, sinch, suppose Man Utd had a similar team to Arsenals with respect to the no. of foreign nationals playing in it, would it bother you as an Englishman to see only 2 or maybe 3 players of English descent?

sincher

VanNisteldictator said:
Would you say Rossis come through our youth system though? He has played there for a few years!

What about Martin, bought at 16 from Wimbledon?

Didnt we nabb Giggs off City too?

Most young players are signed from somewhere. How long do they need to spend in the youth/reserve ranks to constitute having come through our system?
Five zillion years.

sincher

Donado said:
There're about 7 to 8 kids you didn't mention who're part of the reserve set up and are English.
How many of those do you think will play in the Premiership?

sincher

Donado said:
Anyway, sinch, suppose Man Utd had a similar team to Arsenals with respect to the no. of foreign nationals playing in it, would it bother you as an Englishman to see only 2 or maybe 3 players of English descent?
Not really. I've never had a problem with foreign players. I do think that having a common language in the team can be valuable, though. For Arsenal, it's French.

Ferguson

This plan is nothing but a football equivalent of mercantilism. The result will be to stifle competition which will hurt the quality and growth of football in Europe. Arsenal's foreign players have provided healthy competition which only benefits English football. Countries that protect their native workers from foreign competition end up losing because their workers are not forced to improve. Eventually this results in their being superceded by foreigners who have advanced beyond them. It might be that English football will lose like the steel industry in Scotland, or like American car companies to cheaper and better foreign imports. But at least in America the result has been that the quality of American cars has improved in response to the foreign competition. English players will be better because they have to work harder to compete with the foreign imports.

The rule will not be allowed under EU law. The EU law reflects economic truths concerning human nature. Competition is healthy, and freedom of movement of players is a spur to growth.

vardamir1

Billy Bollocks said:

Cygan is no longer with the club. At any rate, he was the French player of the year 2001/2. Upson got relegated with brum

Gilberto won the world cup, Bentley can't get in the england team

and we have no average french players

vardamir1

Namliam said:
Can you name me even one English player who was overlooked by Wenger, who went on to be a player who was good enough for Arsenal?
as I've mentioned, this is the one question the xenophobes get stuck on constantly

vardamir1

RedCanuck said:
It's hardly xenophobic. Arsenal don't develop players, they poach them from other (foreign) clubs.
don't be daft, we develop players that go to other clubs and we have other clubs develop players for us. It's a give and take situation.

and how is advocating using nationality in picking a side not xenophobic?