Platini to run for FIFA Chair

darioterios

Michel Platini announces he will run to replace Sepp Blatter as Fifa president
• Platini confirms his intentions after holding meetings in St Petersburg
• ‘There are times when you have to take your destiny into your own hands’

Michel Platini, the current Uefa president, is the favourite to succeed Sepp Blatter, having announced he will run in the February election. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
Guardian sport and agencies

Wednesday 29 July 2015 12.17 BST Last modified on Wednesday 29 July 2015 13.01 BST

Shares

Comments

Michel Platini has announced he will run to replace Sepp Blatter as the Fifa president in next February’s election.

Platini, the Uefa president, held talks with football powerbrokers at the 2018 World Cup draw in St Petersburg last weekend and is now confident he has the support necessary to win.

Michel Platini receives further backing to stand as Fifa presidential candidate
Read more
“This was a very personal, carefully considered decision, one in which I weighed up the future of football alongside my own future. I was also guided by the esteem, support and encouragement that many of you have shown me,” Platini said in a statement, having written to all 209 member associations of Fifa to inform them of his intentions to stand.

“There are times in life when you have to take your destiny into your own hands. I am at one of those decisive moments, at a juncture in my life and in events that are shaping the future of Fifa.”

The election to succeed Blatter will take place on 26 February in Zurich. The 60-year-old Platini is the favourite to succeed the Swiss after gaining the backing of four of the six Fifa confederations, including the powerful Asia bloc. The Football Association is expected to back him along with most, if not all, countries in Europe.

Platini has publicly stated he voted for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup, and although the award of that tournament to the Gulf state has caused huge controversy, in Fifa terms his backing for Qatar is likely to be an advantage.

Platini has been the Uefa president since 2007 and was a supporter of Blatter in the past, but fell out with him when the 79-year-old backtracked on his 2011 promise to step down at the end of his fourth term in office.

Blatter was re-elected in May, but within four days had announced he would quit after Fifa’s involvement in payments to officials was uncovered. All nominations for the election have to be submitted by 26 October.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/29/michel-platini-fifa-presidency-sepp-blatter-election

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
If you run Platini's gimp through one of those age apps; you get Blatter. I have no doubt he'll win and we'll have young Blatter there for many years to come.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If there's possibly one person worse than Blatter, Platini is the one. :mad:

Brophs

The One and Only
He's a crooked, corrupt, two-faced slime-merchant who's basically Blatter without the knowing smile every time he fecks people over. He makes football worse just by existing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fantastic! From Havelange to Blatter to Platini. Basically the same school of corrupted scumbag thiefs continuing to lead the football world.

I'll celebrate the day when top football clubs will say feck of to Fifa and take their destiny in their own hands.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I support this. Fifa will be corrupt anyway and it's to be ridden of him as the UEFA is what matters more in general to us Europeans and those who follow European leagues and competitions.

Lyricist

I support this. Fifa will be corrupt anyway and it's to be ridden of him as the UEFA is what matters more in general to us Europeans and those who follow European leagues and competitions.
Will he introduce the World Cup League or a World Cup played in 100 different countries though?

R'hllor

Surprise,surprise,so most of EU countries were vs Blatter saying this and that,now they gonna support this clown,its same crap just wrapped in different package,in this case,supported by those who were against corruption(nice joke),saying crap about 3rd world countries etc.Bunch of 2 faced scums,acting like they are so more intelligent,like they are aliens or something when in truth they are even more corrupt.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Very bad choice to replace Blatter as head of FIFA.

If Platini's got the support of the other Confederations then it's highly likely that Blatter has persuaded them that he is the best choice. FIFA needs a new start in order to rid itself of the corruption label and Platini will not be able to give it that start.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
From one thief to the next :rolleyes:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Platini says he wants to tone down politics at FIFA

ZURICH (AP) — Michel Platini wants politics to play a lesser role at FIFA if he is elected its next president.

Platini is the front-runner to replace Sepp Blatter in February, and said that with him in command, FIFA would be only about football, not political deal-making.

"We have to care about the game, not politics," Platini told The Associated Press on Thursday, just a few hours before the start of FIFA's executive committee in Zurich. "With me, there won't be politics. With me, it's about football, not politics."

However, Platini's critics have often accused the Frenchman of putting politics before football, especially when he voted for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup weeks after meeting with then-France President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Platini acknowledged that he "might have told" American officials that he would vote for the rival United States bid. However, he changed his mind after the November 2010 meeting, hosted by Sarkozy at his official residence in Paris and also attended by senior Qatari officials. Platini said it was not anything prearranged.

"Sarkozy never asked me to vote for Qatar, but I knew what would be good," he said, smiling.

As the FIFA presidential election campaign picks up pace, Platini's former ally Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan has openly criticized "political deal-making" within FIFA. It was an apparent reference to agreements by Asian football leaders to support Platini in the Feb. 26 ballot.

Platini also said one of the goals of the next president is to "restore the image of FIFA" and make sure it's free of corruption going forward.

"A good FIFA is like a good referee, nobody speaks about it," he said.

He said FIFA has done a lot of good to develop the game and to transform football, and stressed the importance of clearing the governing body from corruption so it can continue work to improve the game.

"There are a lot of good people in the executive committee," Platini said. "It's just some that are corrupt. If you do something wrong, you will be taken care of."

He talked about the absence in Zurich this week of some executive members, such as Brazilian federation president Marco Polo Del Nero.

Del Nero left Switzerland suddenly in May after other officials were arrested in dawn raids on FIFA's favorite hotel in Zurich, and has not traveled outside of Brazil to avoid the risk of being arrested as part of the current U.S. and Swiss investigations of corruption implicating soccer officials and FIFA.

"It's not the first time a member doesn't come," Platini said. "Of course, we are in a strange situation at the moment, otherwise there wouldn't be so many journalists here."
:lol: Dirty scumbag.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is why I've lost interest in this whole thing. What's the point kicking Blatter out for this Cnut to take over. Cut of the head of a snake for another one to grow back.

R'hllor

He is Blatter version(he is even worse) of those non Russian/East/Asia/3rd world countries block,if he wins,doubt we ever gonna see any attacks on him,investigations about corruption etc. Its kinda funny,after all those shouting about bribes coming from Qatar,Russia,how FIFA is corrupt,they gonna rise a hand for someone even worse.guess as long its their man,they dont care really,hypocrites.

Jam

In case anyone has been fortunate enough to ignore (post-football career) Platini let's take a look at some of his career as an administrator of UEFA:

• Wanted caps on wages and transfer spending -> FFP passed -> FFP dismantled.
  • Wanted to block foreign ownership of clubs.
  • Said the transfer of Under-18s is basically child trafficking, similarly young players having contracts is no different to 'sending kids to work in factories.'
  • Backed 6+5 proposal.
  • Wanted to have English, Spanish and Italian clubs limited to three teams each in the Champion's League
  • Voted for both Russia and Qatar. He also has some unfortunate links to Qatari royalty such as meeting them alongside Sarkozy, their ownership of PSG and his son being hired as a lawyer by a Qatari firm after Michel's vote for them.
  • Wants a winter world cup and thinks all European leagues should accommodate it.
  • Is French.
  • Warned officials of 'near zero-tolerance' of officiating mistakes... while at the same time defending human error claiming its a part of the game.
  • Claimed goal-line technology was too expensive to use.
  • Believes that video replay technology would destroy the sport, have sex with your wife, steal your job and aid ISIS.
  • Is still French.
I don't want him anywhere near the head of FIFA. He's in it for his own self-gain and to leave a legacy and his mark on the sport; whether it benefits it or not.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In case anyone has been fortunate enough to ignore (post-football career) Platini let's take a look at some of his career as an administrator of UEFA:

• Said the transfer of Under-18s is basically child trafficking, similarly young players having contracts is no different to 'sending kids to work in factories.'
  • Backed 6+5 proposal.
  • Wanted to have English, Spanish and Italian clubs limited to three teams each in the Champion's League
  • Voted for both Russia and Qatar. He also has some unfortunate links to Qatari royalty such as meeting them alongside Sarkozy, their ownership of PSG and his son being hired as a lawyer by a Qatari firm after Michel's vote for them.
  • Wants a winter world cup and thinks all European leagues should accommodate it.
  • Is French.
  • Warned officials of 'near zero-tolerance' of officiating mistakes... while at the same time defending human error claiming its a part of the game.
  • Believes that video replay technology would destroy the sport, have sex with your wife, steal your job and aid ISIS.
  • Is still French.
I don't want him anywhere near the head of FIFA. He's in it for his own self-gain and to leave a legacy and his mark on the sport; whether it benefits it or not.
Platini is just as bad as Blatter, in fact everyone in FIFA is bad otherwise Blatter couldn't have reigned so long. They all happily clapped when Blatter went all "Let's go FIFA" on that press conference.

Revan

Assumptionman

• Backed 6+5 proposal.
  • Is French.
  • Is still French.
Agree.