Player’s You Don’t Rate As Highly As Others

432JuanMata

Nope, he was classed as the best in the generation right before this happened. When Eto'o was king, Xavi wasn't really playing and Iniesta was getting games here and there and Messi would make his debut towards the end of that era. Eto'o made his name playing with Ronaldinho and Deco, under Rijkaard.
As the thread suggests it’s a opinion that others don’t agree with. I know from talking to most people who rate him world class I’m in the minority but I still don’t see it. Great player but nowhere near as high as he is rated

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There's more appropriate threads for the Bruno chat.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thiago has never convinced me. Not now, not during his time at Bayern or with the Spanish team.
From the past, Djalminha was very showy, but he was a "TV player". Very good against Madrid but not very efficient against smaller teams.
Other very good players that maybe I would downgrade a little bit:
Morientes (clumsy), Hierro (when he got excited used to forget about his back), Puyol (a bit deified for his passion/to be a good captain, but no so good with the ball),

432JuanMata

Kind of agree. The impact he has on games is more what you'd expect from a top striker than a midfielder. He does nothing for long periods, sometimes he's out and out dodgy, but he'll redeem himself with the killer pass or goal. He's good but I don't think he's quite as great as everyone makes out. Ultimately though, the argument will be sidelined for as long as he maintains the stats.
Remember we didn’t sign him in the summer and the talk was we didn’t like the way he gave away the ball so much ? I can see where people are coming from he is vital for us but feel he wouldn’t stand out at say City that much where keeping the ball is more the priority.
My cousin hit the nail on the head when having a good game he will make 3/10 through balls and end up with a assist or 2 and a goal. But when he is off them through balls will be 1/10 and he will stand out as the worst on the pitch

Bertie Wooster

Lampard. I do rate him highly, just a little lower than the general consensus I imagine.
Yeah, I was thinking of Lampard as well.

He mainly played as a goalscoring #10, as his best asset was getting in and around the box to shoot at goal but he lacked the pace to do that effectively from CM so played further forward but more as a goalscorer than a creator in open play and was pretty selfish for a midfielder and attempted loads of shots (he delivered good set pieces for assists).

In the 'Gerrard and Lampard can't play together conundrum', Gerrard was a more complete midfielder and a team player so was more capable of playing as the more defensive minded one, or filling in out wide. While Lampard was a more one dimensional player who could only really play that one role as a goalscoring #10 looking to get endless shots at goal.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Robertson. Definitely a player that Klopps system makes look a lot better than he is.

Dominos

2 terrible shouts thus far.

John Terry. What he did well, better defenders wouldn't have to do in the first place.
John Terry was just an slightly above average defender playing with better players
Mental. Terry had top tier partnerships with Gallas, Carvalho, Alex and even Gary Cahill so the idea that he was being carried by others is bit convenient. He consistently boasted great defensive records across multiple different CB partners and managers for a decade, winning league titles and consistently reaching the latter stages of the champions league.

Terrible myth persists on here that if you ever make a block or a tackle then you must have made a mistake first.

DOTA

Peter Crouch. People fecking love to praise him cause he 'had good touch for a big man', scored some amazing goals and is a funny bloke but he was barely Premier League standard.

Oranges038

I think with VVD it's partly because we've been starved for great CB's in the prem for a while now, which makes him seem even better.

In recent times, I can only think of Kompany and VVD and Robert Huth as great center backs, unless i'm missing any.
:lol: :lol:

When I hear of Robert Huth. I think of this.

Then this.....

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Mental. Terry had top tier partnerships with Gallas, Carvalho, Alex and even Gary Cahill so the idea that he was being carried by others is bit convenient. He consistently boasted great defensive records across multiple different CB partners and managers for a decade, winning league titles and consistently reaching the latter stages of the champions league.

Terrible myth persists on here that if you ever make a block or a tackle then you must have made a mistake first.
Although this is semi off topic (but has some sort of relevance as this thread is about overrated but still good) I do shake my head a bit when it's widely thought Terry/Carvalho was our top partnership of that era. I mean don't get me wrong they were ace but the Terry/Gallas partnership was insane, if my memory serves me correct they conceded just once in 21 games as a CB partnership at one point.

DOTA

Although this is semi off topic (but has some sort of relevance as this thread is about overrated but still good) I do shake my head a bit when it's widely thought Terry/Carvalho was our top partnership of that era. I mean don't get me wrong they were ace but the Terry/Gallas partnership was insane, if my memory serves me correct they conceded just once in 21 games as a CB partnership at one point.
No idea if that's true but I feel the need to add your defensive stats in those days were massively flattered by Cech being about as good as any keeper has ever been in this league.

432JuanMata

The reason Terry/Carvalho is so high is they conceded 15 goals in 38 PL games. This is a record that will never get near being touched. Doesn’t mean they were better just that record alone makes it so highly rated

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Agree.

Irwin99

As a ten or an advanced attacking midfielder Gerrard was a real force and genuinely world class but I never thought he was a great central midfielder. Just seemed to lack the discipline for the metronome role or the awareness.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I know I've seen Terry have some amazing games where I thought he was impeccable over 90minutes, but I can't name any of them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As a ten or an advanced attacking midfielder Gerrard was a real force and genuinely world class but I never thought he was a great central midfielder. Just seemed to lack the discipline for the metronome role or the awareness.
Yea but what does that mean though? You may as well add Paul Scholes to this thread on the basis that he lacked qualities to play on the left. If you agree that Gerrard was a ‘real force and genuinely world class’ in his main role, then he probably doesn’t belong.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The reason Terry/Carvalho is so high is they conceded 15 goals in 38 PL games. This is a record that will never get near being touched. Doesn’t mean they were better just that record alone makes it so highly rated
When we went on the run without conceding (was the record before United broke it a few years later) it was Terry and Gallas playing most of it, likewise the start of the following season when we didn't concede till like matchday 7.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ronaldinho. Great couple of years, didn't have anywhere close to the longevity that I want in my all-time players yet many feel completely comfortable putting him in the top 5 of all-time.