Player Autographs

Dreaded

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the players autographs before they go in for a game. I'm heading over in a few weeks and my little brother wants Rooney's

izzydiggler

I don't buy into that..while there are some that would like to chat to the fans etc, I think footballers have become so alienated from the fans, signing autographs is considered a waste of their time.

Small Paul

The Legendary Pool perve
When i was younger we used to go to the cliff on a friday and most players would sign autographs.

Nowadays with e-bay etc a lot of clubs discourage it as it can lead to memorabilia going onto the interent and being sold over the odds.

Personally, i'd be surprised if you could get the players autographs at OT.

izzydiggler

Small Paul said:
Nowadays with e-bay etc a lot of clubs discourage it as it can lead to memorabilia going onto the interent and being sold over the odds.
Call me a cynic but I doubt very much that the club would be concerned that people were paying too much for memorabilia.....I'd wager a large amount of money that their only concern would be that they were losing out on a cut..............

heightmassive

Anagram of Peter Crouch
L.S. Lowry, Albert Finney, Vinegar Vera, Ben Kings
Small Paul said:
When i was younger we used to go to the cliff on a friday and most players would sign autographs.

We used to do the same as kids at the Cliff and Littleton Road, we'd literally stand on the touch line like you were watching Sunday league park football.

I occasionally cycle past Carrington and there's a sign at the end of the road that reads along the lines of 'due to people selling merchandise on the internet Manchester United players will not stop and sign autographs'. Words to that effect anyway.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Eric Cantona always took his time with the fans. First one to arrive at training, and last one to leave. Took time to write autographs. And a lot of people look at him as an arrogant egocentric primadonna.

Shane B

Not Fat, Old, Racist or Scouse
I got loads of autographs when i was a kid, I simply mithered players who came out to warm up.

It definately isn't that easy for the kids today though.

izzydiggler

It's amazing how much pleasure and pride can come from a squiggle on a bit of paper, which takes a player a matter of seconds to do.........I still treasure Roy Keane's signature even though it was over 10 years ago I got it!

It's experiences like this that shape your love of the club etc but what are the kids nowadays going to have? Memories of disappointment......about how Wayne Rooney walked past and wouldn't sign their book.........

I may be an idealist but players should be contractually obliged to spend time with the fans etc (never mind morally)....but not these cheap publicity stunts and photo opportunities, real one to ones with players etc....it's such a small thing for a footballer and he'd never remember it but it would live forever in the memory of any fan involved.

Small Paul

The Legendary Pool perve
izzydiggler said:
Call me a cynic but I doubt very much that the club would be concerned that people were paying too much for memorabilia.....I'd wager a large amount of money that their only concern would be that they were losing out on a cut..............
obviously.

Widnes

Small Paul said:

I believe the players are aloud to sign autograph books but ain't aloud to sign replica shirts and other merchandise, the aim like you say to stop them been sold on e-bay.

Red Sense

How about once a week after training invite a group of arround 50 supporters who have been already veted by the staff, to a place where they can get their autographs in a warm and friendly atmoshere.Just a thought.

Barry Red

izzydiggler said:
It's amazing how much pleasure and pride can come from a squiggle on a bit of paper, which takes a player a matter of seconds to do.........I still treasure Roy Keane's signature even though it was over 10 years ago I got it!
I know what you mean... I got Denis Law's in 1964. I have had it framed and it now sits on a shelf in my office next to my signed photo of Spike Milligan. Sad bastard, eh?

hp88

Can someone help me identify these? I have spotted Evra, Jones, Hernandez and possibly Sir Alex. Thanks.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
15 Carrick
Yep definitely so, just confirmed with my shirt hanging on the wall.

Also what the hell is up with these bloody players and squiggly lines for autographs, the only one I have that is clear who he is, is Eusebio. Yeah just throwing it out there that I have his autograph.

LR7

Yep definitely so, just confirmed with my shirt hanging on the wall.

Also what the hell is up with these bloody players and squiggly lines for autographs, the only one I have that is clear who he is, is Eusebio. Yeah just throwing it out there that I have his autograph.
Carrick's in particular looks like he did it with crayons when he was three.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Is number 14 Phil Jones? Starts off with the capital P and has even included the number 4 in it.

hp88

How did you get that mate?
When I renewed my ticket there was payment method of doing a balance transfer onto a man united credit card. Once you have got the card you had to spend or do a balance transfer of over £200 to get a signed shirt.

Stickles

Sir Alex used to spend the first 20 minutes of a match signing autographs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a no win for the players. If they go over to sign stuff, they'll probably be bombarded with 200 people in their face instantly. You can't sign everyones.

However, we all remember being kids and being thrilled at getting a player's autograph.

I remember being gutted at my local club Wycombe's game v Villa the summer United signed Yorke. I saw him coming over the pitch, and I ran down there, but was too slow!

However, I got Bosnich and Southgate at the same game.

Best one was Bryan Robson at the U21 International England v Moldova in 97!
He sat in my row, alongside Viv Anderson, Harry Redknapp, and Frank Lampard Senior! I spend more of the game watching them than the game!
Also remember almost missing my lift home to get Danny Murphy's as he came off the pitch!