Player Awards 2019 | Luke Shaw wins

el3mel

And some people get angry when you compare him with Moyes...
Yeah if he said that, it's very Moyes esque tbh.

Imaging if it ends like that. That will be us going the full cycle and back to appointing a Moyes like manager again. What next, a LVG esque manager to keep the endless cycle going ? :lol:

L1nk

As embarassing as a POTY awards night is for us at this point due to the shocking campaign (they honestly should of cancelled it). I don't mind Luke Shaw getting an award, Lindelof should of got one to but nevermind. I only say this because I think everyone believed Luke Shaw was finished at the top about a season or 2 ago, but fair play to him he's come back and he's actually played rather well, he's not Jesse Lingard he still has plenty of time on his side and clearly still has the skill to be that top LB for us I believe.

So, good on Shaw, at least he's shown some fight this season which is more than can be said about most of the team.

Roberto420

Season he won it though he wasn’t very good.
4 goals and 13 assists numbers Shaw can only dream of and that was after Valencia missed the start of the season with an ankle injury only made 22 appearances 5 as a sub.

He also scooped every award on offer that seasons award ceremony but apparently he wasn't very good.

dogwithabone

Yeah saying how he never expected to be manager and it was a dream come true was a bit weak, believe in yourself man or nobody will!
I don’t expect him to pick out individuals at a POTY awards night but I do think he could have said something along the lines of ....’ a number of senior pros have under performed and let the club down’ ..... yes, we all know it but it will resonate with us fans knowing he’s on the same page as us and not afraid to alienate a few of them.

I really want to believe in Ole but he does worry me with his niceness. He could do to go through the wringer a bit like other managers do, which seems to wear their patience a bit.
I think Ole's going to give the majority of the first team squad the benefit of the doubt this season ,largely due to fitness issues,even though you could certainly argue the majority of the players showed their true selves once Ole signed on permanently with their drastically poor turn in form and playing standards.

Overall,like everyone here,I hope Ole proves me/us doubters wrong but at the moment he just doesn't have that spark and charisma his competitors have.Again,he's just abit overawed and starry-eyed at the moment.

Infra-red

We should be looking to replace Shaw this summer if at all possible, not handing the fat fecker awards.

el3mel

Shaw probably will think now he finally made it and now it's time to take a rest for the entire upcoming season. After all he won POTY of the team who finished 6th, and won both awards not even one! Big achievement.

varga92

I remember five years ago Giggs gave a speech at Old Trafford. It was very similar to Ole's speech. He said the good times will return soon, keep supporting and something about youngsters. I believed him then because he's Ryan Giggs. Now I'm not going to buy any speech from anyone. Let's see what will happen on the pich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

4 goals and 13 assists numbers Shaw can only dream of and that was after Valencia missed the start of the season with an ankle injury only made 22 appearances 5 as a sub.

He also scooped every award on offer that seasons award ceremony but apparently he wasn't very good.
Shaw’s got 7 assist and 1 goal playing with a bunch of muppets. Valencia hasn’t been good since that season Rooney was on fire and he was still playing as a winger.

Suv666

Luke Shaw is apparently our best player. The state of this club

edcunited1878

It's a bad trend when the last true attacking player/forward who has won the award that Shaw won tonight was RVP in 12/13. The ten years previous to that, a defender won it only twice (Heinze and Vidic).

Not only that but during SAF time you could actually draw up 4 or 5 players who deserved such a award.You could actually debate the fors and against of each player.
Now though it just feels overly unjustified for whoever receives the award,more so this season granted.

Ekeke

At least he didn't accept mediocrity.
I'd prefer a solid leftback like Shaw over toxic fans talking shit about the player of the year's weight.

The club isn't in the best state right now, the last thing I want is our own fans acting like spoilt children to top it off. When that becomes the norm I'll wonder why I support United anymore

Loublaze

ATLien
Shaw’s got 7 assist and 1 goal playing with a bunch of muppets. Valencia hasn’t been good since that season Rooney was on fire and he was still playing as a winger.
This is not true just because you read it somewhere and its been rehashed to death on here

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah saying how he never expected to be manager and it was a dream come true was a bit weak, believe in yourself man or nobody will!
You have to start somewhere. At least he is not delusional. It is a shame but a lot of people don't respect honesty and humility for the good quality that it is.

I remember Van Gaal, he was much less reserved than Ole and he was very much out there trying to inspire everyone collectively. I also remember a lot of media, fans and players just made fun of his character. I remember Mata once got a question from the media how the players react to Van Gaal's character and he replied "Just like you do", implying media was right in laughing at the person and that they all do it to. I like Mata and he is cute so he is excused, but you'd figure the dressing room culture is still compromised by the looks of it.

It remains an issue at this club. Who is going to go in and change that? If unimportant shit like that continues to be the focus around the club as an excuse for players not having to apply themselves everyday, there will always be distractions. Football remains the most important thing and everyone has to act professional, be positive, be United.

Van Gaal had the positive character, with a clear dictator style of managing. Everyone knew he was boss, until he became the only one on the outside of a big inside joke. He was made out to be the joke, and nobody believed him. He wasn't a longterm project maybe, and had to go, but the way it transpired and ended set a bad precedent for the future. Van Gaal wanted to change his surroundings but he stopped to protect himself because they didn't listen and it ruined him.

Mourinho came in with a slight change of character and seemed more positive. You could see that he tried to fit in, and seemed sincere about wanting to establish himself at the club for many years. This obviously didn't manifest and we have enough evidence of history to attribute this to Mourinho, but that is only papering over the cracks at this club. At the end Mourinho reverted back to his old destructive path, again protecting himself and putting the club down while doing it. That is some serious issues at display there, but the reason for him acting out like that is what we need to look into, not the fact that he is a bit of a crazy person. He didn't act like that at first, and he clearly wanted to succeed so why does these typical leader characters end up getting overrun and vilified inside the club?

I think similar people to those who attack the negative character of our last managers and focus on them are the first to criticise the next manager too. The aspect of what it is doesn't matter as much, it is just that culture of it. How can Ole change something like that if he by large and all is treated the same? Nobody can. They need support. To make negative of positive character is something else though, it is so hypocritical as well coming from some people.

"Show some humility for christ sake, you delusional big headed wanker. No, on second thought have respect for yourself you pathetic softie, show some pride and dignity instead." :lol:

Milo2035

I love how low-key this is. No pictures of winners announcement on Facebook, just a link to UNITED website. Shaw acknowledged he prefers a good season as a team than individual awards. The team are obviously wounded, seeing the top 6 dominating Europe. Hope we will come back strong next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

I'd prefer a solid leftback like Shaw over toxic fans talking shit about the player of the year's weight.

The club isn't in the best state right now, the last thing I want is our own fans acting like spoilt children to top it off. When that becomes the norm I'll wonder why I support United anymore
He's 'solid' because his attacking game doesn't exist. If he actually got forward he'll have been exposed more in the back. He's not solid actually but limited. There's some recent graphics that have proven it.

Yes and his weight is not optimal compared to other fullbacks- it's blatantly obvious everyone can see it.
Reality is the whole team is replaceable just some is more urgent than others.

RuudTom83

It seems a distant memory now, but when Ole took over and the team went on the 13 odd game unbeaten run.

Beating PSG in Paris.

Those were some of the highs this season! and during those games you could pick out Shaw, Pogba, Lindelof...plus a few others.

So I don’t think the event was an embarrassment.

Well done to Shaw tonight...but please don’t celebrate with too many cheese burgers.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Sums up where we are right now that Shaw won't start for the top 3 and is probably 3rd choice for England as well. He has been alright but nothing close to special . Robertson has been 10 times better and he would be outside top 5 in the POTY at Liverpool. Just sad to see us being so far away

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I said on Sunday that United should have cancelled the event and at that time Liverpool and spurs hadn't even made the cl final

IronTulip

Checked on our league goals conceded history. This season its 52 with 1 game left. That's the worst record for 40 years, since 78-79 (Played 42 games back then). So depressing that 1 and 2 on the voting are defenders who have contributed to this stat.

To be fair, Shaw was my choice too. He was the most consistent over the whole season.

Team is truly broken at the moment :(

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Can’t believe they’ve gone for Leah Galton as a nominee. Had a decent end to the season but for most of it she was pretty average and couldn’t even get a game. Sigsworth, James, Green, Greenwood, Hanson probably all deserved to be in there instead of her.
The squad themselves picked the nominees, not Casey Stoney.

meamth

As embarassing as a POTY awards night is for us at this point due to the shocking campaign (they honestly should of cancelled it). I don't mind Luke Shaw getting an award, Lindelof should of got one to but nevermind. I only say this because I think everyone believed Luke Shaw was finished at the top about a season or 2 ago, but fair play to him he's come back and he's actually played rather well, he's not Jesse Lingard he still has plenty of time on his side and clearly still has the skill to be that top LB for us I believe.

So, good on Shaw, at least he's shown some fight this season which is more than can be said about most of the team.
Accept he didn't take the red for that missed interception before huddersfield scored. He should run like a mad man and took the red to be honest, and we can try to hold for the lead..

Well no need to dwell on the past, still okay with him winning it in this crap season.

SER19

Pretty bloody pathetic for fans to be giving Luke shaw shit for winning an award, he didn’t bloody give it to himself. We’ve been absolute shit and even those calling for lindelof probabky forget when it looked like he wouldn’t play for us again earlier in the season after a couple of truly horrific games. Nobody deserves the award, somebody had to get it, and it may as well be a player who at least looked like he gave a shit. Awarding it to Pogba for example would have been awarding all the qualities we should be looking to get rid of

croadyman

Geoffrey Boycott absolutely destroying the team on MUTV. No fecks given. He won't be invited back there again :lol:
Haven't got that far yet so looking forward to seeing that, fair play to Geoffrey for having the guts to out them on MUTV, unlike most of the presenters who have most definitely been told what to say rather than what they actually believe