Player burn-out

Basa1987

This was partially prompted by the Eriksen thread and the various claims that he's burnt out at 27.

But it's not just him. The same claim has been made about various other players like Rooney, Sanchez, Ozil, Muller, i.e., players who started off very young and played a lot of games at a high level but ended up on the downswing past their mid 20s.

You would think that with modern sports science and tailored fitness and recovery regimes, burn-out really shouldn't be an issue, but is it also possible that the modern game puts much more of a demand on players bodies than before?

There are of course a few examples such as Ronaldo, Robben etc who seem to be lasting forever but are they the exceptions?

thepolice123

Personally, I think its a bit of a myth and probably down to the mental side of the game. There are plenty of players who played football from their teens all the way till their 30s and physically they are still fine.

I think loss of motivation and passion are common if you have been doing the same thing from since you were a young boy, even if its sports.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Are they the exception to what? What are you trying to claim here or ask?

It's anybody's guess what causes a decline of a player. Some studies have suggested that professional athletes have a higher number of people who are depressed than people who aren't professional athletes yet we see zero discussion about it in football. It's not something you can show because if you do you are dropped. That could be one reason.

Injuries are one reason. Sánchez is turning 31 and has been injured a lot. As you get older it takes longer to recover from an injury. Does not mean you are finished. Falcao was injured a lot for about 3 years and people said he was finished but when he regained fitness for a good while he was back to scoring.

Other factors can cause you to lose performance. Something in your personal life for example. Di Maria just didn't like it in Manchester, his wife was unhappy as well and that was reflected in his performance.

None of these players are comparable to Rooney who started playing full time in the PL when he was 16. On top of that he did not keep himself under a strict fitness regime which caught up with him. Don't think he was burned out. Being burnt-out is a mental state that you can't do it anymore. That can happen at any age. A lot of players that grow up in big teams, don't make it for example due to injury and are loaned out constantly. Finally they are released and then keep on going down the ladder of football and then retire at age 26. That's burning out. I watched a fat Lee Sharpe play for a poor team in Iceland's top division at age 32. That was a burn-out.

LingiBW

I tend to think burn-out is more related to the mental aspect rather than the physical esp that now sport science in terms of physical performance is the best its been.

I feel the demand for peak performance throughout is putting a huge strain on some players. I feel it gets to a point where the cant calibrate their brains for the top level and when they start offering only 90% or so we immediately notice is as them having lost a step.

Maybe players need to start having the same level of professional psychological help as they get with the physical and tactical guidance they have through their careers

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Burn out is actually a common thing on athletes who start to compete at high levels since a very young age.
One of the best examples I can remember was Vanessa Fernandes : won multiple world, European and Olympic medals and was basically becoming a triathlon legend, suddenly stopped competing, only to make a few cameos here and there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo lasted and still last quite a long time at the top level and both of them shagged around so I'm sure there's a connection.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This was partially prompted by the Eriksen thread and the various claims that he's burnt out at 27.

But it's not just him. The same claim has been made about various other players like Rooney, Sanchez, Ozil, Muller, i.e., players who started off very young and played a lot of games at a high level but ended up on the downswing past their mid 20s.

You would think that with modern sports science and tailored fitness and recovery regimes, burn-out really shouldn't be an issue, but is it also possible that the modern game puts much more of a demand on players bodies than before?

There are of course a few examples such as Ronaldo, Robben etc who seem to be lasting forever but are they the exceptions?
Eriksen isn't burnt out (nor are Ozil or Muller for that matter)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sometimes it can be down to players losing their physical edge.

Sanchez and Torres for example are players who relied on athletic qualities that when they lost those and had to rely on their technical skill that's when everything went to shit.

Full bodied red

Sometimes it can be down to players losing their physical edge.

Sanchez and Torres for example are players who relied on athletic qualities that when they lost those and had to rely on their technical skill that's when everything went to shit.

Ronaldo was getting better still in his early 30s while Rooney was already on the slippery downslope.

Ronaldo was, then, and is still, a phenominal physique whereas Ronney was starting his middle aged spread.

Is it genetic rather than burnout ??

Interval

Level
I'm sure mental burn outs happen more than we realise. These athletes are supposed to be at peak performance day in day out under tremendous scrutiny for 10-15 years of their lives. I'm sure mentally, some cant keep that intensity beyond half that time. You see this day in day out in less demanding jobs in consulting and finance

Sterling Archer

A few factors are at play for each athlete but one that many of these guys aren't privy to is the improvement going to a predominantly whole food, plant-based diet. Healthy vegan if you want to call it that.

Good documentary on it is now available on Netflix:

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

SungSam7

Ronaldo was getting better still in his early 30s while Rooney was already on the slippery downslope.

Ronaldo was, then, and is still, a phenominal physique whereas Ronney was starting his middle aged spread.

Is it genetic rather than burnout ??
Difference between Rooney and Ronaldo was, although both had passion to burn on the pitch, Ronaldo still seemed to keep that passion off it. He treats his body as temple while Rooney got caught up affairs and drinking sessions.

RK

There's probably some selection bias.

People age at different rates. Two 20-year olds don't necessarily have the same level of physical and mental maturity.

The players who were being selected at an early age had possibly reached higher levels of maturity earlier, their "age" being older than most people born at the same time. It could then follow that, compared to most other 30+ year olds, they peaked earlier and have been declining for longer.

I've done no research on this and there will always be anecdotal evidence both ways, but seems plausible.

Hughes35

I don't think as many players "Burn Out" as we think.

As soon a players hits a downturn in form in their late 20's people start saying they are finished and on the decline. When a player hits a downturn in form early 20's it's because they are young and still learning to be consistent.

The only players I can really think of who were actually fell off a cliff in their late 20's are Ronney and Torres.

kambinks

I think its mentally more so than a physical issue. Tito footballs youtube channel made a great video titled "whats gone wrong at totenham?" that seems to talk about this focusing on Spurs current team. I think its plausible to say that Spurs overreached getting to the UCL final and issues like Pochs training and Levys contract negotiations can really wear you down mentally.

Its what Fergie did right through his tenure keeping the team fresh and hungry with that winning mentality to continuously push for achievements year in and out.

MrBest

I don't think as many players "Burn Out" as we think.

As soon a players hits a downturn in form in their late 20's people start saying they are finished and on the decline. When a player hits a downturn in form early 20's it's because they are young and still learning to be consistent.

The only players I can really think of who were actually fell off a cliff in their late 20's are Ronney and Torres.
Lingard and he is only 26 and peaked for 1 month. I am sure Sanchez was 29 when he joined us but he was declining in his last season for arsenal too.

spaceboyRSA

I think it also depends on how many miles on the clock they have. Some players like rooney and sanchez had a lot by their late 20's. Some not so much.

I think its very much a mental issue when you burnout in your 20s. In your 30s its normal

Last edited:

Irrational.

Alli looks burnt out and he's still a foetus.

Although physical decline plays a part, I think a huge part of it is mental. Players who were once young and hungry seem to think they've made it in life once they get a couple of accolades, and will no have the same drive to prove themselves or put in the extra effort. They will see no reason to.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ibra isn't burnt out, he started early, ditto Lewandowski. It's just that, most of the time, some players take good care of themselves and others suffer from back pain due to extensive Fortnite playing.

ROFLUTION

Eriksen is far from burned out.

Has peaked the last couple of years and added to his game and had it not been for Poch benching him and his situation, he would probably have momentum right now.

He still seems hungry, as he wants a move for prestige/personal goals and not for money, so I dont buy that he's mentally burned out too. Its just Roy Keane talking out of his arse again, without really having followed Eriksen.

Skills

Snitch
There's too much football and not enough down time. World cups and Euros feck this up even more, so it's not hard to imagine professional athletes burning out with the limited down time they get.

I think it's more mental than physical but for players who have had issues physically, sports science in top level sport is more about quick fixes and performing now than promoting longevity. Players are rushed back from injuries with all kinds of medications that aren't good for them long term.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard is another that should be mentioned here. Completely different player in the 09/10 season compared to the previous one. Lost his powerful long shot, his stride, his pace...pretty much everything related to his physical side was diminished.

Last edited by a moderator:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think it's not the case that it is one cause that fits all cases.

Torres I think completely lost his mental mojo and desire for the game. Maybe the physical played a part, but that's not what had home miss ridiculous chances he scored for fun in a red shirt, or try to remodel himself by making supporting runs instead of having to be the one getting on the end of things.

Ozil I think has simply fallen out of love with the game.

What do you do as a professional footballer when you find yourself disinterested in your career at some point and just going through the motions? Take a year off to find yourself and come back better for it? No.

The idea that people who have never really tried anything else than football should stay hungry and top motivated non stop for 15 to 20 years from late adolescence through their formative years of adulthood is a really big ask. I'm surprised there are not more footballers dropping down a level or two before their body begins to deteriorate.

Bestietom

I never believed this. If you look after yourself like a professional should, then you should be able to play well into your 30's. Some into their late 30s. Giggsy played until he was just 40, and started young also.

El Zoido

Personally, I think its a bit of a myth and probably down to the mental side of the game. There are plenty of players who played football from their teens all the way till their 30s and physically they are still fine.

I think loss of motivation and passion are common if you have been doing the same thing from since you were a young boy, even if its sports.
I think being a multimillionaire by the time you’re 22 doesn’t help.

Nick7

I don't think Eriksen is burnt out. It can happen, but he just wants to leave Spurs.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's difficult to say because there are a lot of factors at play influencing burn out and there are different types of burn out be it physical or mental. Nor do we have access to the hard data that can evidence physical decline far more accurately than we can speculate from the sidelines.

Rooney was always the classic case of a kid in a man's body. At 16 he looked like a 21-year-old, and that five-year gap between chronological and biological age followed him through his career. More top clubs are going down the route of using biobanding to categorise players of the same chronological age but at different stages of physical development.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
This is simplistic....but if the player you are relies more pre-dominantly on physicality, you are more prone to 'burn out' or a more rapid decline.

Keane, Gerrard, Torres, Rooney etc. Once their particular physical gifts, be they strength, pace or a combination of the two fail, they 'fall off a cliff'.

Players who don't rely on that aspect of the game, Pirlo, Zidane, Hoddle, Giggs, have the technical ability to change their game and carry on in a different role. Hoddle ended up getting Swindon promoted as a sweeper.

Bizarrely, Rooney is the conundrum. He kind of did both, but yet, once his physical attributes started to fade, he was still the main man at club and country level, despite everyone knowing he wasn't the player 'he once was'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Depends on the career/body/player. Ibra was strong as an ox and extremely professional in maintaining himself. Then you have geniuses like Messi and Scholes whose technical qualities and intelligence will stand out even at 35/36. Rooney on the other hand, like Sanchez, was a terrier of a player, bulldozing his way around the pitch, always busy. He is rumoured to not having been most discipline and started his career in the big time at the age of 16.

So each case is different. But I don't see any signs that more players are burning out early.

Zlatattack

The mental side of it should be addressed. Each player in all our professional leagues should have at least 1 session a week with an independent psychiatrist. These people ought to be paid for by the clubs with the premier league contributing the bulk of the financing.

These are young men under huge pressure, not always in control of their own lives. Agents hold huge sway, management changes at clubs bring uncertainty, transfers/loans mean huge personal upheaval often within a matter of weeks.

Frankly the PFA ought to get it's finger out and have trained independent player support professionals working with players too. Again 1 meeting a week or 1 a month, to help players independently outside the structure and influence of clubs.

UpWithRivers

Giggs retired at 40. Have yr brother's wife and say yr doing yoga and you will last for ages.

Denis79

There's no way of knowing why a player suddenly stops performing on the same level he did previously. Motivation, confidence, maybe injuries hampered him? I don't know anything about the physiology or psychology of elite sportsmen and women but l'd wager that motivation is one of the bigger factors.

poleglass red

Giggs retired at 40. Have yr brother's wife and say yr doing yoga and you will last for ages.
he modified his game. He ended up a creative central midfielder as opposed to a speedy left winger. Great players can do that. Keane and Scholes modified to their games also to prolong their careers.
I watched Ibra in Toronto last season. He honestly barely moved on the pitch, but when he did it was effective. He's modified his game. I've seen him play in the past and he never was the type to chase down lost balls or close defenders down but he defintely moved a lot more than he does now. He can easily play another few seasons with his economy of movement

Needham

Eriksen isn't burnt out (nor are Ozil or Muller for that matter)
Agreed. Eriksen could easily be rejuvenated by a fresh challenge where he has to prove himself again. The other two are both in decline, the former having character issues.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
A few factors are at play for each athlete but one that many of these guys aren't privy to is the improvement going to a predominantly whole food, plant-based diet. Healthy vegan if you want to call it that.
Does it really work though? I can't sit through a documentary because I've zero faith in this idea.

Hughes35

Lingard and he is only 26 and peaked for 1 month. I am sure Sanchez was 29 when he joined us but he was declining in his last season for arsenal too.
Lingard is not suffering from burnout. He is just not a very good player.

I will probably give you Sanchez. That's still only 3 cases of it though. Rooney, Torres and Sanchez.