Player of the Season vote

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Erm, yeah… still not seeing how he has been the best player?
Seeing as you started a thread now titled ‘Onana has not worked out etc’, that’s hardly surprising, is it?

For my money, after a bad start, a shabby second quarter of the season, he has been our standout best performer since new year. He’s made lots of good saves, lots of important ones, quite a few brilliant ones, had a decent command of the box in spite of the chaos of a revolving door defence with no midfield. He has one of the best saves statistics in the league, particularily on the most relevant stat, postExG-saves, and that coincides with my eye-test, having seen us concede and alarming rate of unpressurized shots in and close around the box. And this is only his defensive part of the game. The improvement in his on the ball work has been very good, while severly handicapped by a back four not daring to go high and wide to leave space for him to play in, and wasted mostly by a back four unable to progress the build up that he starts in exemplary fashion time and again.

So for me, best player in 2024 slightly ahead of Bruno, and one very good half, one medium minus and one pretty bad quarter of the season is enough this season to get in the discussion. IMO.

Name 5/6 better right backs? Dalot is hugely underrated by a portion of our fans.
Walker
White
Alexander-Arnold
James (when fit)
Trippier
Bradley

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest most top managers would prefer to have any of the above players to call upon rather than Dalot.

Seeing as you started a thread now titled ‘Onana has not worked out etc’, that’s hardly surprising, is it?

For my money, after a bad start, a shabby second quarter of the season, he has been our standout best performer since new year. He’s made lots of good saves, lots of important ones, quite a few brilliant ones, had a decent command of the box in spite of the chaos of a revolving door defence with no midfield. He has one of the best saves statistics in the league, particularily on the most relevant stat, postExG-saves, and that coincides with my eye-test, having seen us concede and alarming rate of unpressurized shots in and close around the box. And this is only his defensive part of the game. The improvement in his on the ball work has been very good, while severly handicapped by a back four not daring to go high and wide to leave space for him to play in, and wasted mostly by a back four unable to progress the build up that he starts in exemplary fashion time and again.

So for me, best player in 2024 slightly ahead of Bruno, and one very good half, one medium minus and one pretty bad quarter of the season is enough this season to get in the discussion. IMO.
Nothing to do with my personal opinion of his performances - which has been a really mixed bag - but measured against his team mates he’s not one of the best. Dalot, Garnacho, Maguire, Bruno have all been better. Having a purple patch isn’t enough - consistency has to be part of the equation too.

Walker
White - Nah
Alexander-Arnold - can’t defend so would be awful for us
James (when fit) - he’s never fit so no
Trippier - maybe, but Dalot is physically so much better.
Bradley - seriously?

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest most top managers would prefer to have any of the above players to call upon rather than Dalot.
I’ve added my comments to yours. Anyway agree to disagree he’s mikes better than some of those.

Nothing to do with my personal opinion of his performances - which has been a really mixed bag - but measured against his team mates he’s not one of the best. Dalot, Garnacho, Maguire, Bruno have all been better. Having a purple patch isn’t enough - consistency has to be part of the equation too.
I thought this thread was about our personal opinions about the players performances?

All fair if you think Dalot, Bruno, Garnacho and Maguire have been better. Personally, I think Bruno and Garnacho has, not Maguire, and I’m a bit torn on Diogo. I find him a bit up and down even in the games when others have found him brilliant, with positioning, variable passes, and generally overhit crosses and ineffective in the last third, for all his qualities on the ball. But he’s been our only consistent player over the span of the season, and certainly this is his best season to date.

Onana’s purple patch has been half a season. I’m not sure that qualifies as a purple patch, but neither Bruno nor Garnacho has had any longer patches this season IMO, certainly not Maguire. But I think all of them deserves some credit, with Bruno I think being my player of the season, even if it’s a below par season by his standards.

I thought this thread was about our personal opinions about the players performances?

All fair if you think Dalot, Bruno, Garnacho and Maguire have been better. Personally, I think Bruno and Garnacho has, not Maguire, and I’m a bit torn on Diogo. I find him a bit up and down even in the games when others have found him brilliant, with positioning, variable passes, and generally overhit crosses and ineffective in the last third, for all his qualities on the ball. But he’s been our only consistent player over the span of the season, and certainly this is his best season to date.

Onana’s purple patch has been half a season. I’m not sure that qualifies as a purple patch, but neither Bruno nor Garnacho has had any longer patches this season IMO, certainly not Maguire. But I think all of them deserves some credit, with Bruno I think being my player of the season, even if it’s a below par season by his standards.
We agree about Dalot then at least ;)

Dalot for me without a doubt. Consistently good and as good Bruno's been lately I think Dalot's been better over whole season. Hopefully he gets the POTY award.

Few other players have had good seasons: Bruno, Maguire, Mainoo, Garnacho, McTominay (mostly for goals of course), Evans. Onana very good 2nd part of the season. Varane's been injured lately but thought he was very good in January-February period and that's when we had our best results this season. Season to forget for Wan Bissaka, Casemiro and Rashford.

I’ll give it to Dalot. He’s really improved and is now a solid starter.
Also had to play left back a lot due to the injury crisis.

I cant believe people are voting for Dalot. He is an average right back good enough as backup.This shows how much we are digressing. If we contintue like this we wont buy full backs of frimpong or alfonso davies level let alone hakimi level by being deluded that Dalot is great.

I cant believe people are voting for Dalot. He is an average right back good enough as backup.This shows how much we are digressing. If we contintue like this we wont buy full backs of frimpong or alfonso davies level let alone hakimi level by being deluded that Dalot is great.
You should start watching the games.

Dalot has been genuinely very, very good in a sea of pretty terrible performances. You having a preconceived notion about him before the season started does not change what has actually happened on the pitch.

Dalot for sure for pots for having stepped up a level physically and creatively

Special mention to Bruno for being available all the time and being the singular creative spark.

Martial, Rashford, Eriksen for flops of the season.

I rate Mainoo very highly and think he might be the most exciting academy player since the class of 92. But let's be real: he wouldn't get a single vote if he was 28.

The same is true for Garnacho.

Dalot, for sure. Fantastic attitude, consistent and some excellent performances.

Maguire’s been a better defender this season than Dalot for everyone picking Dalot.
Not really. He's had his fair share of shockers as well but the general upwards trajectory of his career (from its literal bottom) as well as his crumbling competition made up the positive narrative around Maguire's season.

But Dalot was way, way more influential in the build up while their purely attacking contribution was probably around the same (credit where its due, Maguire did score a few important goals).

1. Dalot
  2. Bruno
  3. Garnacho
Mainoo was probably our most consistently good performer (and even he wasn't consistent, so that's saying something) but he only played for half of the season.

That's a pretty depressing list if we're being honest. Dalot was generally impressive but still prone to an occasional brain fart, Bruno had a very poor first half of the season but came alive recently, Garnacho blew hot & cold and completely ran out of steam at the end of the season.

Maguire & Evans did pretty well considering the expectations but those initial expectations were literally rock bottom. Højlund showed some promise in patches — but only in patches. Onana recovered well from the horrendous start of the season but overall I doubt that he's good enough and, despite the positive trajectory, still had a season to forget.

Meh.

Looking at the thread it's going to be Dalot isn't it? That says a lot to me that he's ahead of Bruno, Nacho, Mainoo....

Bruno for me and it's not even close, way higher heights, and he's objectively carried us on his back at points this season. Gets absolutely no love from redcafe

If I were voting for character, then Harry. The way he had battled against the trolls and come back is pretty impressive. But in football terms a toss up between Dalot and Bruno. I just don't like Bruno's continuous whining. That's just me. Massive respect as a footballer.

Dalot.

Don't get the Bruno votes. He's been good the last 5-6 matches, before that he's had a dismal season and was poor for a large stretch.

Garnacho would be my number two behind Dalot. He was amazing for a young player till April, where he began to fall off, but before that Nacho was business.

Agree with the consensus it's Dalot followed by Bruno. Bruno is obviously the better player but judging across the season Dalot has been consistently decent.

It definitely demonstrates how bad our season has been though.