Player of the tournament | Modric

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The standout players for me so far this tournament:

Modric - Could be a bit critical about his last two games but everything good Croatia do comes through him
Hazard - Really stepped it up after they went 2 down vs Japan and was terrific against Brazil
Lukaku - Not scored for a few games but his selflessness over the last two games has been vital to Belgium's success
Kane - Will probably end up top scorer but I don't actually think he's even played that well by his standards
Kante - Always does what he's supposed to do
Pogba - Looks like he's finally putting it all together, good defensive contribution and he's often the catalyst behind France's attacks.
Cheryshev - Didn't even start the first game and never scored a single goal for Russia prior to this tournament, one of the few players to seize his opportunity in this tournament
Trippier - England's best player

I do think however that some decisive performances from a player over the last two games may be enough to swing it in their favour.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Griezmann has been playing to win instead of personal glory, he hasn’t been the best player but he deserves a mention

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
After yesterday's match I think it's between Kante and Pogba. If France win and Pogba scores or has a couple of assists in the final, then he probably wins the Golden Boot. Otherwise, Kante will be the choice. If Croatia somehow win the final, than Modric. If England win, probably Kane as long as he scores an important goal in the next couple of matches.

Questino: If Croatia win, should Modric win the Ballon D'Or (sp?)?

Skills

Snitch
For all of Modric's 'magnificence' they haven't won a game in 90 minutes the entire knock out stage.

Minimalist

Kane ruled himself out tonight. Probably still get the golden boot though.

Think Modric is very likely.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Modric. Anyone else would be completely insane.

Dr. StrangeHate

Modric or Mbappe now and will be deserved Ballon D'or winners as well considering their club honours.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
My Golden Ball choice is Varane, he has been superb.
Come on. I get why you rate him highly, he's amazing but how can you watch Modric, see the impact he has on Croatia, the control over the whole game, every aspect of it, how he crosses from the wing, organizes in the middle and runs for balls that he should never be getting and say someone was better? Modric is playing maybe the best world cup someone as young as me has ever seen from a midfielder. Take him out of this Croatia side and they get nowhere near to where they are right now. No other player comes even close.

Frank Grimes

Come on. I get why you rate him highly, he's amazing but how can you watch Modric, see the impact he has on Croatia, the control over the whole game, every aspect of it, how he crosses from the wing, organizes in the middle and runs for balls that he should never be getting and say someone was better? Modric is playing maybe the best world cup someone as young as me has ever seen from a midfielder. Take him out of this Croatia side and they get nowhere near to where they are right now. No other player comes even close.
I dont think Varane is a better player than Modric, I am Modric's biggest fan. I think Varane has been flawless this tournament and would be well worthy of it, just an opinion.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So far, it's all down to Modric, Mbappe, and Pogba, imho.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Kante has been just as good... their midfield and Modric got completely dominated by Denmark, they beat Denmark on penalties, Russia on penalties and England in extra time. Croatia didn't dominate the midfield in any of the games.

He gets absurd amount of praise like that because he's classy and seems like a nice guy. Best WC midfield performance of the century... Jesus wept. Rakitic has pretty much been every bit as good.

If he wins player of the tournament it will be because noone really stood out and the ones that did got sent home earlier. Mbappe, Varane and Kante would be every bit as deserving.

ryadmahrez

Kante has been just as good... their midfield and Modric got completely dominated by Denmark, they beat Denmark on penalties, Russia on penalties and England in extra time. Croatia didn't dominate the midfield in any of the games.

He gets absurd amount of praise like that because he's classy and seems like a nice guy. Best WC midfield performance of the century... Jesus wept. Rakitic has pretty much been every bit as good.

If he wins player of the tournament it will be because noone really stood out and the ones that did got sent home earlier. Mbappe, Varane and Kante would be every bit as deserving.
Damn you are in every thread downplaying modric’s play in this world cup. Scared he will take Ronaldo’s ballon dor away much??

Denmark completely dominated them??Did you even watch that game? It was a scrappy game, denmark scored with a throw-in in the first minute. Croatia didnt play their best, they didnt dominate the whole match, but had the best chances and should have won in regular time. They certaintly werent “completely dominated” by denmark.

Same with Russia. Croatia had like 70% possesion or something that game. Russia scored a wonder goal and were dangerous through set pieces, but croatia were the better team by far and shouldnt have let it go to penalties. England i didnt watch the first half, but the second half from where i was standing, croatia controlled the game and dominated.

You are downplaying his contribution this world cup immensly. He has been the best player this tournament by far Imo. In the group stages he was great, denmark he was average, but against russia and today he was great. He is a real leader and elevates his teammates by giving them confidence, rythm, space and time to play with. Strange how you dont rate modric performances in this WC, but you were immensely impressed by Ronaldos perfomances in EUROS2016 i remember.

Inter Yer Nan

I don’t think Modric has been that good since the group to be fair. I think France will beat them and the player of the tournament more likely to come from them.

Modric has been a bit underwhelming in the KO stages and a dumb foul left his team 1-0 down today.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Damn you are in every thread downplaying modric’s play in this world cup. Scared he will take Ronaldo’s ballon dor away much??

Denmark completely dominated them??Did you even watch that game? It was a scrappy game, denmark scored with a throw-in in the first minute. Croatia didnt play their best, they didnt dominate the whole match, but had the best chances and should have won in regular time. They certaintly werent “completely dominated” by denmark.

Same with Russia. Croatia had like 70% possesion or something that game. Russia scored a wonder goal and were dangerous through set pieces, but croatia were the better team by far and shouldnt have let it go to penalties. England i didnt watch the first half, but the second half from where i was standing, croatia controlled the game and dominated.

You are downplaying his contribution this world cup immensly. He has been the best player this tournament by far Imo. In the group stages he was great, denmark he was average, but against russia and today he was great. He is a real leader and elevates his teammates by giving them confidence, rythm, space and time to play with. Strange how you dont rate modric performances in this WC, but you were immensely impressed by Ronaldos perfomances in EUROS2016 i remember.
You remember? You just lied. I say that Modric gets an absurd amount of praise for good performances because it's the truth. And I'm in every thread? I made 2 posts about it in 2 different threads :lol:

He was good today, made a stupid foul for the 1-0, was poor in the second half but the rest of the game made up for it. He was good against Russia, nothing extraordinary. He was poor against Denmark and then missed a crucial penalty in extra time. How the hell would that be enough to be the best player in the tournament by far? :houllier: He's up there for sure but best by far? He's barely been the best player on his own team... If he has a great final then sure but as of now, players like Godin, Coutinho, Kante, Mbappe or Varane are just as deserving.

I'm not against Modric at all, it's just that this trend of deeming him a genius for ok performances is baffling when he spent the past few years having loads of actual genius performances and not getting enough recognition for them. Now he's in decline and he gets more praise than ever...

As for the Ballon D'Or nonsense, nice to see you back. Last year it was in May, this time it took until July :rolleyes:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Modric for POTY, Mbappe for YPOTY.

Can swing based on the final of course.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Best player in this WC so far is Modric for me. But I don’t think he is that far ahead of other best performers like Kante, Pogba, Mbappe. Let’s say if final Kante/Pogba/Mbappe gives motm performance, i might still change my vote to them.

slored1

If England had made the final, I would say Trippier. Now, it's Modric without a doubt.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of motm award:

1. Kane 3 motm in 5 games
2. Modric 3 motm in 6 games
3. Ronaldo 2 motm in 4 games
4. Suárez 2 motm in 5 games
5. Mbappe 2 motm in 6 games
6. Hazard 2 motm in 6 games

If we only include players who’s team progress further to semi:

1. Kane 3 motm in 5 games
2. Modric 3 motm in 6 games
3. Mbappe 2 motm in 6 games
4. Hazard 2 motm in 6 games

If we only include players who progress to final:

1. Modric 3 motm in 6 games
2. Mbappe 2 motm in 6 games

Hence either Modric or Mbappe will win it.

Treble

Mbappe or Modric. The winner in the final will be the player of the tournament.

Griezmann and Pogba have done very well so far, Hazard too.

Kane shouldn't make the top 10, imo.

Revan

Assumptionman
Modric is the player of tournament, bar an out of this world performance from Mbappe. And if somehow Croatia wins it all, he should get the Ballon D'Or.

AshRK

Logical choice should be varane, who has been giving 8/10 in almost every game. Modric's performance has been immensely overhyped. For sure he has been good but that's about it. Anyways, I feel all these awards are more of a popularity contest and hence modric winning wont surprise me, but like messi in 2014, he has not been the best player in the tournament. But again there is final to be played so modric can still get my vote , so Depending on final I would say one of kante, varane, pogba, mbappe, modric or perisic. But as of now my vote goes to varane

Sildegil

Should be Kanté. But it will be Modric if Croatia wins or Varane/Pogba/Mbappé/Griezmann if France does. I have no idea who they would pick if France wins but it wont be the most deserving: Kanté.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Kante??? How is he even getting a mention. Pogba has been a better player, personally I'd have it between Pogba, Mbappe, Trippier and Willian.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Modric, Pogba and Mbappe in that order, for me. The final will, obviously, put that placing in jeopardy but as of now, those are the players who’ve consistently shone.

Status
Not open for further replies.