Player of the tournament | Modric

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm going with Coutinho so far, certainly the most important for his team.

Eriksen and Modric also come to mind.

Canagel

It's too early for this thread. We will know better when the final comes.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Id say Ronaldo so far.

Revan

Assumptionman
Coutinho, Lukaku, Modric, Kane and Ronaldo so far. It all depends on the following matches though.

Schneckerl

Too early to tell

Best player for each remaining team probably so far:

England: Kane
Belgium: Lukaku
Brazil: Coutinho
Portugal: Ronaldo
Argentina: Messi
Colombia: James/Mina
Spain: Isco
Russia: Cheryshev
France: Kante
Croatia: Modric
Japan: ?
Sweden: Granqvist
Uruguay: Godin
Mexico: Lozano
Switzerland: Shaqiri
Denmark: ?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Too early to tell

Japan: Inui
Messi has had 1 good half for Argentina and that's it, I'd say Banega for them

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Modric
  2. Coutinho
  3. Ronaldo
Can't put lukaku or kane on here yet because of how bad Tunisia and Panama are. Also because of a few goals in dominant game against shit teams doesnt make them the best.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Too early really. People are just going for the top scorers mostly.

Godin has been in beast mode. I'll go with him at this premature stage. Modric second.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Rakitic, Modric, Coutinho, Ronaldo and Godin are the top 5 so far. Ronaldo clearly leading since if we had any other player we'd be out of the tournament right now. Modric will get plaudits for dominating opponents' midfields as if he was doing that by himself, he won't get a fraction of the criticism Ronaldo would get for having just a decent game either which means he's probably the favourite.

Isco, Modric and Coutinho are the 3 favourites for me since their teams have better chances to get far into the tournament than Uruguay or Portugal. Godin and Ronaldo have been the two best players so far though, it will be a great match up tomorrow.

amolbhatia50k

Rakitic, Modric, Coutinho, Ronaldo and Godin are the top 5 so far. Ronaldo clearly leading since if we had any other player we'd be out of the tournament right now. Modric will get plaudits for dominating opponents' midfields as if he was doing that by himself, he won't get a fraction of the criticism Ronaldo would get for having just a decent game either which means he's probably the favourite.

Isco, Modric and Coutinho are the 3 favourites for me because of the draw and their teams having better chances to get far into the tournament.
:lol:

Pretty long drawn out way of saying you want to have Ronaldo's babies.

diarm

Coutinho has been the stand out for me. Modric, Rakitic, Lukaku and Ronaldo have all impressed here and there but Coutinho has stood up and dragged Brazil upwards in every game so far.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Or our own Marcos Rojo. One goal and one assist, not bad for a team who has scored three goals.
He was dropped for the second game though after being a bit crap in the first though.

tbf Banega has only played the one game but he was good right through the 90 minutes, the correct answer for Argentina is probably no one

Ekeke

Kane, Lukaku, Hazard, Rakitic, Modric, Granqvist and maybe Gimenez would be my contenders at the moment

Revan

Assumptionman
Guys, I was joking for Rojo. He had good output, but he has been good in defense.

Banega was easily the best player in the third match, followed by Messi. On the second match everyone was crap. On the first one, Messi was the only one who played good, but he missed a pen.

Would say that Messi has been their best player, but nowhere near the best players of the tournament so far.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
:lol:

Pretty long drawn out way of saying you want to have Ronaldo's babies.
Nah just the truth which upsets you as usual hence that reply. Funny of you to point out Ronaldo bias...

Ronaldo was better against Spain than Modric against Argentina, he was better against Morocco than Modric against Nigeria and he was better against Iran than Modric against Iceland... he's vastly more important to Portugal than Modric is to Croatia given Modric doesn't dominate the midfield alone and has brilliant midfielders around him, most people here are picking Modric because that's the way it works. If Ronaldo has an average game he'll get criticism, Modric can have as many average games as he wants without any criticism as you've seen throughout the season. Especially if his team get positive results. Same thing goes for Kroos and Isco, I think the WC finally opened people's eyes as to what Kroos has been the whole year but Isco can be completely ineffective, overdribble the whole game, do nothing to break a team down and still get plaudits for bad performances... he can be bad enough to the point of getting benched and people will think he's being brilliant.

If we had any other player other than Ronaldo we'd be out of the tournament right now and if any other player had performed the way Ronaldo's performed then there would be no doubt as to who's been the best player in the tournament. For him to win that he'll have to be two levels above anyone else.

People saying Lukaku, Kane, Hazard, Isco or Gimenez have had better tournaments so far just proves my point. Ronaldo, Godin, Modric and Coutinho are the 4 clear standouts in any case.

Last edited:

Seven Seas Sardines

Too early to tell

Japan: ?
You're kidding right?

Boogie Man

I wouldn't include Kane in the list.

His hat-trick consisted of 2 penalties and a total fluke that may as well have come off his backside. And his other 2 goals were headers from point blank range, so I wouldn't even count them as proper goals either. So for me, he hasn't scored a legitimate goal yet.

Ekeke

I wouldn't include Kane in the list.

His hat-trick consisted of 2 penalties and a total fluke that may as well have come off his backside. And his other 2 goals were headers from point blank range, so I wouldn't even count them as proper goals either. So for me, he hasn't scored a legitimate goal yet.
Okay.

But by everyone else in the world's standards and via the actual rules of football, he's the top scorer in the tournament.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Coutinho, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Modric, Kane and Godin all come to mind as stand out players so far.

amolbhatia50k

Nah just the truth which upsets you as usual hence that reply. Funny of you to point out Ronaldo bias...

Ronaldo was better against Spain than Modric against Argentina, he was better against Morocco than Modric against Nigeria and he was better against Iran than Modric against Iceland... he's vastly more important to Portugal than Modric is to Croatia given Modric doesn't dominate the midfield alone and has brilliant midfielders around him, most people here are picking Modric because that's the way it works. If Ronaldo has an average game he'll get criticism, Modric can have as many average games as he wants without any criticism as you've seen throughout the season. Especially if his team get positive results. Same thing goes for Kroos and Isco, I think the WC finally opened people's eyes as to what Kroos has been the whole year but Isco can be completely ineffective, overdribble the whole game, do nothing to break a team down and still get plaudits for bad performances... he can be bad enough to the point of getting benched and people will think he's being brilliant.

If we had any other player other than Ronaldo we'd be out of the tournament right now and if any other player had performed the way Ronaldo's performed then there would be no doubt as to who's been the best player in the tournament. For him to win that he'll have to be two levels above anyone else.

People saying Lukaku, Kane, Hazard, Isco or Gimenez have had better tournaments so far just proves my point. Ronaldo, Godin, Modric and Coutinho are the 4 clear standouts in any case.
I didn't even bother reading that. Keep going though. You and Cal are unique alright. Like FV who was the Messi obsessed tard that never lasted (thankfully).

Now I'll proceed to enjoy the world cup free from all of that.

ROFLUTION

Diego Costa has to get a little shout! Spain would be out without him and he's hit form again

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Too early to tell