Player who would excel in all positions on the pitch

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Fergie era Ashley Young would be at least a 6/10 everywhere, I feel.

Maybe Daley Blind, he was technically excellent. And Fellaini, as a target man anywhere on the pitch. After Rooney, the choices are limited for United players from the last decade.

First non United player I'd pick - Azpilicueta. Then a bunch of Bayern folks - Lahm would have been top of that list if he were playing, but even now Kane, Muller, Kimmich, Alaba, and peak Neuer all seem very capable. Modric and Walker, five years ago. Milner, if he's still playing. Peak Kante seemed like he was everywhere at once. Dani Alves, too.

Edit: Alaba is at Real, my bad.

Davicho

Arturo Vidal is the correct answer. Played as CB, RB and LB early in his career.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Back at Bayern Alaba played cb, fb, dm, cm and even as a number 10 for periods of games. Extremely versatile player.

Son

Seedorf. Huge engine on him could defend, had football IQ, pace and could get forward too.

Even in those legends games at like 55 the guy looks a class above almost anyone physically :lol:

frostbite

But no one will ever beat the most versatile player ever according to Championship Manager 93-94……I give you….Paul Warhurst. Who, according to the game was able to play every position on the field brilliantly.
Didn't know him, but according to wikipedia he was also a football manager, football consultant and runs his own sports management agency!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Warhurst

We have a winner!

PeteReDevil

iPete
Agree with all the names mentioned, so won’t repeat them. Will instead mention some other highly versatile players:

Phil Neville
Ronny Johnsen
Owen Hargreaves
Brian McClair

But no one will ever beat the most versatile player ever according to Championship Manager 93-94……I give you….Paul Warhurst. Who, according to the game was able to play every position on the field brilliantly.
Wasn't he both a CB and an FC in the game? Same as Dion Dublin iirc.

Dyslexic Untied

Agree with a lot of the options mentioned. I am going to throw in Dwight Yorke and Louis Saha as outsiders.

Both technically sound, fairly two-footed, strong headers of the ball and with good all-round physiques.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Blind.
You could probably play him in every position apart for goalkeeper and number 9 and he would have held down the position.

BehemothTerror

Irwin

RB/LB/LWB/RWB/RW/LW

Heck If he was in todays game he'd probably be tried as an Invested forward, or as part of a CM double pivot if he was asked to do the job

LInkash

Harry Maguire

Would do a mediocre enough job in all positions

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
For us : Bobby Charlton, Edwards, Robson, Rooney and potentially Park, Keane and Andy Goram.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most top players stuck to one position because they were too good to be moved elsewhere. However If I'd say there's a player who could do well in various positions then I'd say Beckham.

A- He has the physical attributes to do so (5ft10, strong built etc)
B- His defensive skills and work rate was top notch
C- His passing was lethal in almost every position
D- He had a good eye to goal.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Definitely the right call overall, but never played for United.

However I guess that could be changed quickly as he is still active and would probably be very cheap to sign (plays for SV Wacker Obercastrop in the Westfalenliga 2 - Germany's 6th league tier) :devil:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Roy Keane. Played attacking midfield when he was younger, I think. For us he played well at DM, RB and even CB.

Blood Mage

Always felt that Rio had the skillset to play anywhere on the pitch and it's strange that we never tried him in different roles apart from that one time we had to put him in goal.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
For me it's 100% Rooney. Would have been the best full back on the pitch if you'd put him there. Read the game well, good header of the ball, coudl fill in at CB. And obivously we saw him play everywere else. Also liked being in goal in training, apparently.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not a United player, but Yaya Toure at his peak could probably have played anywhere. He did play CB now and again at Barca. Under Mancini he often played deep, and then got pushed forward as a second striker when they needed a goal (and he usually got it). He was pretty quick considering his size, he'd probably still be fairly handy in wide positions.

poleglass red

O'Shea was pretty versatile for us, full back, centre back and centre mid at different times. I'd say chasing a game he could have been thrown up front as a target man. I recall him jumping in as keeper for us once v Spurs, kept a clean sheet and even made a 1v 1 save against Robbie Keane.

Laurencio

Wayne Rooney is the most versatile, physically capable and hard working player I've seen play for us, so I would say him.

Alan Partridge

Aside from the obvious ones mentioned I think Rio could’ve done a job in most areas of the pitch.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Edwards, McGrath…
Fair shouts to Rooney & Robson

Hughes35

Rooney, Gerrard, Bale and Ronaldo are the 3 that stand out a mile to me (Ronaldo especially, really think he'd be world class in all positions).

Walters_19_MuFc

Anderson.

Good at dribbling, so could play in the wide areas.

He was obviously a midfielder, who could hold, play box to box or a number 10.

Striker - I think he could do a good job as a false 9.

Centre Back - He'll be a ball playing centre back.

djembatheking

I`d be made up to see a few of this current bunch playing well in their own positions never mind all positions.