g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Players and Money

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
So its coming to the end of another season and its time to get the cheque book out for new signings and keeping players on board ,who will stay who will come in and who will leave muppet season is near.

But got me thinking about contracts and value lets use Paul has an example he is flirting with Madrid his head looks like it has been turned but Ed makes him an offer that is simple to good to refuse and he signs a new 5 year contract. But the player did this for the money not the club has he wanted to go somewhere else. Is it really worth it to keep a player like this who is really only playing for the nice pay packet.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
*Insert comment about Alexis Sanchez’ salary and close thread*

jem

I don't think it's totally black and white. For example, I'll never believe that money wasn't the prime motivator for players like Aguero, Silva and Toure joining City in the early stages of their build. Yet, they were smart in buying players with a good balance of skill and professionalism (Yaya wasn't without his foibles, but produced in the early days.*) These are the kinds of players we should be willing to spend big money on.

*And of course, City didn't get all right in the early days - we probably don't want to buy today's equivalent of Tevez, for example.

vangagal

I don't think it's totally black and white. For example, I'll never believe that money wasn't the prime motivator for players like Aguero, Silva and Toure joining City in the early stages of their build. Yet, they were smart in buying players with a good balance of skill and professionalism (Yaya wasn't without his foibles, but produced in the early days.*) These are the kinds of players we should be willing to spend big money on.

*And of course, City didn't get all right in the early days - we probably don't want to buy today's equivalent of Tevez, for example.
City just continuing to spend like crazy untill they get it right.

Stepney73

Players like aguero,silva and toure would never even have heard of city before the oil money rolled in.

jem

City just continuing to spend like crazy untill they get it right.
Yeah but I'm not really talking about that. What I'm saying is that 3 of the players who have provided their foundation to success were both expensive and valuable contributors to the cause (ie. not mercenaries who had their heads turned after 3 seasons.)

Seth.R

Think the days of loyalty to a club in football is long gone for the most part.

Can’t really knock the players though, football is a short career and why stick around somewhere and accept a lower wage, when you know you can negotiate/leave for a better salary? Especially if you aren’t winning anything.

If you were stagnant in your job, would you stick around, or would you go somewhere else that might provide better opportunities? Or even take a payrise for your troubles?

Seth.R

99% of players are just motivated by money.
They’re people.

Career-wise, I’d say a similar proportion of workers are motivated by money too.

A lot of people forget that a lot of footballers come from humble beginnings and working class families, football is a short career and they just wanna take what they can, while they can, for their families.

I don’t think that’s unfair at all, and wouldn’t really knock players for it.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
They’re people.

Career-wise, I’d say a similar proportion of workers are motivated by money too.

A lot of people forget that a lot of footballers come from humble beginnings and working class families, football is a short career and they just wanna take what they can, while they can, for their families.

Yep, agreed.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They’re people.

You can't really compare someone making 40k a year's motivation to someone earning millions a year.

I do get that you'd want to earn enough to keep living the high life though.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
They’re people.

Agree most people are motivated by money including footballers but does money get the best out of a player that wants to play somewhere else. They maybe happy with their
bank balance but are they actually happy being somewhere which was not their first choice. I say not so clearly money can't buy you love.

Skills

Snitch
You can't really compare someone making 40k a year's motivation to someone earning millions a year.

You also can't compare someone who's got 40 years of a career, compared to 20 at most if you're lucky as a footballer.

Skills

Snitch
I don't understand why fans expect loyalty, when they show very little themselves. Players are treated like dispensable assets yet are expected to be loyal to the clubs they serve?

Paul Pogba was booed just a few months ago at Old Trafford by the home support. It's a bit rich asking him to show loyalty.

We need an rvn

I think we, as a fan of our club, think players should be loyal and accept whatever the club say and offer as playing for United is an honour.

And yes, it is. But this is also their career and job. There is no loyalty and if someone comes along and offers much more money, a longer contract etc then I honestly don't blame a player for leaving as I'd snap it up too.

Just look at other sports - NFL, nba etc - where money talks! You have a short career to make as much money as possible and set you up for life. People accept that playwrs swap and trade all the time. Same goes in football but as fans some just can't accept that.

UnitedWeStandOne

They’re people.

I am not attacking your point, because you are right, most think like that. But I don't think it is right. Lets use £300k/week as an example:
  • Let's assume you play one match a week in average. So to play that one game, you earn more than an average worker do in 10 years.
  • Over a 10 year career, that is £156M which is the same as working for 5200 years for the average man.
Players on this level are way past the point of being able to provide for their family, unless they have 10 000 family members. I am not calling Amnesty International...

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You also can't compare someone who's got 40 years of a career, compared to 20 at most if you're lucky as a footballer.
This is nonsensical. They still earn millions more than most people mate. Could easily be a hundred million more as a top 6 footballer, which is the kind likely to be chasing money.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Most players are motivated by money, would have said every player but there should be some exceptions.

Money is the prime reason why so many players are in PL.

Skills

Snitch
They still earn millions more than most people mate. This doesn’t make sense.
But they're not normal people though. They're supremely talented individuals who are among the top 0.001% of their fields.

Also if you look at how much more money is coming into the game you can't blame them for not maximising their incomes. It was outrageous when Roy Keane asked for 50K a week as the best midfielder in the country. Bang average players earn as much now, and players like Pogba and De Gea know that players of less ability will be earning more than them in 10 years time.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
But they're not normal people though. They're supremely talented individuals who are among the top 0.001% of their fields.

Also if you look at how much more money is coming into the game you can't blame them for not maximising their incomes. It was outrageous when Roy Keane asked for 50K a week as the best midfielder in the country. Bang average players earn as much now, and players like Pogba and De Gea know that players of less ability will be earning more than them in 10 years time.
You’re putting them on a strange pedestal. Most aren’t that special.
But anyway, I get why they go for the money, but I also say that when you’re already making a shit tonne, you have less reason to be chasing more money. When you can already afford everything the only reason is greed.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Money and success. Those are two primary ( and only) things in every career. Every player plays for that. We bought Pogba because we offered him big money. If we offered less, he would sign for City or Juve or Psg. Money talks.
Best example is RVP. He was payed a lot in Arsenal and played for big club. But in United he won PL title and earned more money. And it was not 10k or 20k more. It was around 10mil more. Tell me, who would be crazy to refuse 10mil pounds? No matter how much you earn at that moment, 10 mil is 10 mil.
Loyalty is past in football. If you want best players, you must pay them.

But clubs must take a stand also. When players under contract( huge contract) start to cry how they want to leave, clubs must say; NO. You will leave when we say so.

Skills

Snitch
You’re putting them on a strange pedestal. Most aren’t that special.
But anyway, I get why they go for the money, but I also say that when you’re already making a shit tonne, you have less reason to be chasing more money. When you can already afford everything the only reason is greed.
Really? Consider the number of people that play football in the world. Conservatively if you say a 100m people in the world play football, if you're among the top 100 players in the world you are at least among the elite 0.000001% in your job.

roonster09

Scout
Money and success. Those are two primary ( and only) things in every career. Every player plays for that. We bought Pogba because we offered him big money. If we offered less, he would sign for City or Juve or Psg. Money talks.
Best example is RVP. He was payed a lot in Arsenal and played for big club. But in United he won PL title and earned more money. And it was not 10k or 20k more. It was around 10mil more. Tell me, who would be crazy to refuse 10mil pounds? No matter how much you earn at that moment, 10 mil is 10 mil.
Loyalty is past in football. If you want best players, you must pay them.

But clubs must take a stand also. When players under contract( huge contract) start to cry how they want to leave, clubs must say; NO. You will leave when we say so.
Why? Loyalty is not just one way. when player is not good enough, clubs don't think enough to dump them so why should players show loyalty to clubs? End of the day money matter for both club and players and it's a business.

Also if player is loyal, fulfills his contract and leaves on free transfer, will he be considered as loyal player or snake for leaving on free transfer? Answer is obvious.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why? Loyalty is not just one way. when player is not good enough, clubs don't think enough to dump them so why should players show loyalty to clubs? End of the day money matter for both club and players and it's a business.

Also if player is loyal, fulfills his contract and leaves on free transfer, will he be considered as loyal player or snake for leaving on free transfer? Answer is obvious.
I think that you didn't understand me. I said exactly that. Loyalty is not issue anymore. It is business.

roonster09

Scout
I think that you didn't understand me. I said exactly that. Loyalty is not issue anymore. It is business.
Why should player leave only when Club says so? Player under huge contract are sold when they don't perform upto club's expectations, so why shouldn't players leave when they think they can do better?

Cloud7

I don't understand why fans expect loyalty, when they show very little themselves. Players are treated like dispensable assets yet are expected to be loyal to the clubs they serve?

Paul Pogba was booed just a few months ago at Old Trafford by the home support. It's a bit rich asking him to show loyalty.
100% agree with this.

roonster09

Scout

This sort of summed up everything.

Seth.R

You need to understand that it’s all relative. It’s not about putting a roof over their families heads obviously, but more about maximising their income.

Income that can pay mortgages off, set up businesses and income streams to last the rest of their own and their families lives etc.

Just because you earn a healthy salary, doesn’t make you greedy for taking a bigger salary when you know someone is willing to pay it.

And as someone said, you can’t expect them to be loyal to our boyhood club - just because it’s ours, doesn’t mean it’s theirs. They all have their own motivations for being here.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why should player leave only when Club says so? Player under huge contract are sold when they don't perform upto club's expectations, so why shouldn't players leave when they think they can do better?
Agree with this. We expect players to be loyal when the club, or even fans, doesn't do the same when players performed badly .

finneh

So its coming to the end of another season and its time to get the cheque book out for new signings and keeping players on board ,who will stay who will come in and who will leave muppet season is near.

But got me thinking about contracts and value lets use Paul has an example he is flirting with Madrid his head looks like it has been turned but Ed makes him an offer that is simple to good to refuse and he signs a new 5 year contract. But the player did this for the money not the club has he wanted to go somewhere else. Is it really worth it to keep a player like this who is really only playing for the nice pay packet.
Almost every single player in the world are only at their respective clubs because that club has offered the greatest salary on offer. The likes of Harry Kane who're earning half the salary that they could earn elsewhere are incredibly rare and so to try and build a policy around such a rarity would be impossible.

What we need to start doing is setting policies to ensure we don't have to pay more than is necessary, whether this is £50k per week or £400k (ie what a rival club would offer). To do this we need to start selling players who have 2 years left on their deals if they won't sign an extension. The likes of Herrera would not have the leverage to request £170k+ per week if he signed a 5 year extension on £100k per week 2 years ago. With Pogba for example he's probably worth an increase in salary to around £350k per week, however we shouldn't offer this for 7-8 months as he still has over 3 years left on his deal... If by next Summer he hasn't signed this deal he should be sold whilst his value isn't affected.

Member 116853

I don't buy into the belief that a footballer has earned the right to retire in their early/mid 30's. With enough money to live the high life for evermore and for their children as well.
£1 million a year is an incredible wage for 95% of the population, let alone £4m or £5m or £6m or more, multiplied by, say 14 years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
From the player point of view. Why should they love the club they play for? They're only as good as their game, once they're old or having a slump the fans are quick to label them deadwood. Why should they care about the club? Do you love your employee so much you're willing to get paid 30% less than the next employee next door? Would the club value loyalty as such they offer contract to a 30 years old on the down player that has been with us for 10 years e.g. jones if he cant deliver the goods?

Players play for money, clubs pay players for their ability. It's business.

Edit : we expect loyalty but offered none. It's only fair they too expect that. Respect and professionalism is another thing but love isnt one of them. As long as they play to the best of their ability, and the club pays them on time and according to agreement the deal is honored. Contract also works both ways, if pogba breaks his leg a week before a contract extension do you think united will offer him the same wage out of pity?

Loyalty is when the clubs cant afford to pay your market value and they stay. Loyalty is when the player is injured and way bellow his wage and the clubs offer them a better salary. Anything else is just business.

The likes of scholes giggs neville can be said to love the club, but people forget that we pay them accordingly and they offer us their ability accordingly. When they retire we go beyond the requirement and grant them privileges of being a united legend, they too extend their passion abour us without being employed. At the end of the day it's just business

Last edited:

finneh

Generally the person earning millions per year would be far more motivated to earn even more, compared with a person making £40k. That's because the kind of character who's reached the top of their field in order to be earning millions would also be the kind of person who would strive to earn even more.
I don't buy into the belief that a footballer has earned the right to retire in their early/mid 30's. With enough money to live the high life for evermore and for their children as well.
£1 million a year is an incredible wage for 95% of the population, let alone £4m or £5m or £6m or more, multiplied by, say 14 years.
Just like any person in the top fraction of a % in their field, they've earned the right to earn whatever the highest bidder will pay them. You start to take away the incentive to earn whatever someone will pay and the desire for people to work that hard would diminish.

Any person who can pay their own way for the rest of their life has earned the right to do so.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am not attacking your point, because you are right, most think like that. But I don't think it is right. Lets use £300k/week as an example:
  • Let's assume you play one match a week in average. So to play that one game, you earn more than an average worker do in 10 years.
  • Over a 10 year career, that is £156M which is the same as working for 5200 years for the average man.
Players on this level are way past the point of being able to provide for their family, unless they have 10 000 family members. I am not calling Amnesty International...
Problem is, your weekly $ needed to survive isn't the same with them. They need 10k / week to live the same live they're living at the moment, player like sanchez only enjoys 300k during their top year (3-5 years max). Plus commoners has the luxury of living without security details, protection from kidnapping, etc.

SerenityValley

Yep. This forum is full of posts calling players deadwood, demanding that they be chucked away, or in the case of Lingard, almost a campaign of abuse.

Can’t ask players to be loyal - not by the definitions we seem to place on it. Not when the moment they’re not good enough, we spend so much energy on blasting them. I don’t want to keep players forever, especially once they’re no longer good enough - but we should at least accept that they have a right to see out their contract, or move on, without the name calling, etc.

The club need to stop offering silly contracts too - might mitigate some of it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Generally the person earning millions per year would be far more motivated to earn even more, compared with a person making £40k. That's because the kind of character who's reached the top of their field in order to be earning millions would also be the kind of person who would strive to earn even more.
Not in this aspect. Footballers earn millions with far less effort and money/livelihood on the line than say, someone who starts a business with their savings. They're not automatically that kind of character just because they're earning millions. They can earn that straight out of the academy if they look bright early on and get a lucky break.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really? Consider the number of people that play football in the world. Conservatively if you say a 100m people in the world play football, if you're among the top 100 players in the world you are at least among the elite 0.000001% in your job.
In terms of success yes. But you can look good early on, be fortunate in who sees you, look bright in the academy and then earn millions if the right gap in the squad appears. Yet a lot of these players would get given a game by a team a league or two below them. I genuinely think many just get good hands and play their cards right. Obviously very talented but not super special just because they've made it into a big club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because they have contract. Nobody forced xy player to sign 4 or 5 years contract.
1) When contract is near the end = player is in charge. Club can sell or lose the money
2) When player is out of contract, he is again in charge.
3) When player is in the middle of the contract, club can't sell player if player doesn't want to go. So it should go in both ways. If player wants out, club can say no. But today when club say no, then crying and sulking starts and some players even go on strike.

Players are not loyal and they have absolutely no reason to be because it is just business for them and the club, but player power today is too big and i don't like it.