Players laying behind the wall on a free kick

MarylandMUFan

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but the last couple of days (and just now in the West Ham game), I have seen a player laying behind the wall in case the free kick goes under the wall. Is this something new or have I not been paying attention?

abundance

Supports
Inter
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but the last couple of days (and just now in the West Ham game), I have seen a player laying behind the wall in case the free kick goes under the wall. Is this something new or have I not been paying attention?
It's spreading everywhere in the last months, but it's a (relatively) old trick.

It was allegedly pioneered by Brozovic for Inter at the end of 2018
https://www.sportbible.com/football...rocodile-sliding-block-again-tonight-20181029

I kinda remember seeing some evidence of prior art posted somewhere but I'm not really sure.

Kag

It looks a little ridiculous, in spite of its potential benefits. It also seems to be carried out by players I’d characterise as a little... stupid?

Put it this way, if you explained to me what it involved and then asked me to pick a United player who I thought would decide to do it regularly, I would have said Fred.

It’ll be Bailly next. He’s also the sort.

K Stand Knut

It looks a little ridiculous, in spite of its potential benefits. It also seems to be carried out by players I’d characterise as a little... stupid?

Put it this way, if you explained to me what it involved and then asked me to pick a United player who I thought would decide to do it regularly, I would have said Fred.

Fred did a ‘standing’ version of it on Saturday

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I was sure Herrera did it, but I can only find that hilarious time he ran onto the goal line, ran back out, and Sigurdsson scored.

Did find this though!

That is indeed our joint(?) tallest player crouching behind the wall

Pagh Wraith

About ten years ago I asked why noone was doing that when another low free kick went in. Seems a no brainer.

Another thing I don't quite understand is why the defending team almost never utilises the offside trap against free kicks that will be crossed into the box.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Another thing I don't quite understand is why the defending team almost never utilises the offside trap against free kicks that will be crossed into the box.
It's been the prevalent way to defend those for long time and it's still used.

I guess most coaches came to the conclusion that it's much easier to defend staggered on multiple lines, facing the ball and moving forward to the opponent, rather than on a single high line that has to run back towards the goal side by side with the attackers.

TheReligion

Abusive
About ten years ago I asked why noone was doing that when another low free kick went in. Seems a no brainer.

I asked about it eleven years ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I was sure Herrera did it, but I can only find that hilarious time he ran onto the goal line, ran back out, and Sigurdsson scored.

Did find this though!

That is indeed our joint(?) tallest player crouching behind the wall
This long barrier kneel is slightly less dumb than the lying down one but I still think it's daft. I can't remember the last time I saw a free kick taker go under the wall, just jump anyway you tarts!