Players lying down behind the wall during a free-kick

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why is this becoming so much more common?

I swear there's been about 3 free-kicks that have been scored under the wall in the history of football, yet it seems like this defensive move happens during almost every FK in the Prem right now.

The Oracle

Classic case of 'Monkey see, monkey do'

...especially with every game being on TV at the moment

"Oh that might work, let's give it a try"

:)

wr8_utd

:'(
I saw this kind of become a regular thing in La Liga after Messi's free kick exploits over the last year or two (and the one he scored under the wall). It feels like teams almost always have a player under the wall now for his free kicks. Seems to be spreading elsewhere too.

Havak

Pokemon master
I remember Ronaldo sliding one under the wall for us, but how long ago was that now? It didn't start a trend then.

I haven't watched much of the other leagues for a while, maybe there has been a surge of free kicks being scored under a jumping wall elsewhere? If so, it was only a matter of time until someone like De Bruyne or Bruno tried it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This and the sneaky mouth covering are 2 of modern football's most irritating trends.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't wait until the players hold up a team mate to make the wall even taller

Or maybe each man in the wall gives a team mate a piggyback that way you could make an 8-9 foot wall.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anderson distracting the goalkeeper is the best tactic

The Oracle

This and the sneaky mouth covering are 2 of modern football's most irritating trends.
Yeah I thought that much when I noticed it during the Newcastle v Fulham match earlier, a player was doing it when talking to the referee

OleBoiii

One day some poor fecker is gonna get stamped on by 4 teammates. And it's gonna be glorious.

big rons sovereign

Yeah I thought that much when I noticed it during the Newcastle v Fulham match earlier, a player was doing it when talking to the referee
Pretty sure it started back when one of the lad mags used to use lip-readers on games and print the juicy stuff each week.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Matter of time before it results in a penalty - hand ball is my guess

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I swear there's been about 3 free-kicks that have been scored under the wall in the history of football, yet it seems like this defensive move happens during almost every FK in the Prem right now.
Yep they do this but no one puts a fecking man on the post at corners anymore:mad:

The games gone

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't you guys one of the first that started this? I remember McTominay kneeling against Southampton last season I think and Ward-prowse scored over the wall anyway. Could've been another team but it sticks out in memory because of Mark Goldbridge. :lol:

Now it's morphed in the plank technique. Arsenal & Fulham today.

Spaghetti

Mom's
It started when players began trying more under the wall free kicks, which led to walls being reluctant to jump and, therefore, more over-the-wall goals being scored.

The player lying behind just covers that option and allows the wall to jump in confidence. It works in my opinion.

There probably will be a Christmas DVD moment with it at some point, but the player lying down is very quick to bounce up after the kick being taken.

You haters should get used to it, because it’s not going away.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It really is strange, and I guess we will have to assume that there's such a thing as fashion trends also in the realm of defending football set pieces

Chief123

To be honest, I’m surprised it’s not been done for every free kick much sooner. It makes complete sense. It doesn’t really affect you negatively by having a guy on the floor. But it helps positively in that the whole wall can afford to jump and not worry about the low shot. It also means the GK does have to gamble as much because it would have to be something special to go in the goal on the wall side if the whole wall jumps.

So yeah surprised it’s taken this long to see it happen so often.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That's weird but I get it. You'll have everyone on Twitter lip-reading, being nosey cnuts.
I remember we won the title years ago and MOTD were lip reading Beckham celebrating on the pitch and they guessed he said ‘I’ve had offers’ or ‘I’m gone’ - can’t remember which.

As if he would speak about that, at that time.

Red00012

Worse than a defender with his hands behind his back trying to defend

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm surprised teams didn't start doing it sooner. Especially with free kicks right on the edge of the 18 where it is very hard to get it up and over the wall and still keep it on target. There may not be a lot of "under the wall goals" but having that guy lie there takes that option away. After all, in those cases it's because a shot is being taken so it's not like that guy lying down should be marking someone...

Mindhunter

Now I get it. Duh!! I was intrigued to find a defender lying on the pitch in the aftermath of a free-kick. It's an expedient way of blocking the under the wall free kicks but I would like to see statistics around how many of them are scored per season. I don't think there are very many to be honest.

I personally don't like it to be honest. Any new thing that eliminates a path to goal is bad for the game in my opinion.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
On the other day, Anderson trying to obstruct Szczęsny's sight was borderline experimental.

Web of Bissaka

The problem is not players laying down behind the wall during a free kick. It is a good time to rest, for few minutes. And yes to block cheeky ground shot.

:nono:The problem is they're not making it cool, it's insulting, the least they can do is make cool poses.
For examples...

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
It really does look ridiculous and probably does more harm than good as the guy lying down is basically taken out of the game. The previous fad of the guy running back onto the line was equally daft and just seemed to cause chaos and confusion in his own defence.

I also think it’s time we questioned the orthodoxy of the wall in general. There are instances where it is necessary but not every free kick situation requires a wall.

Superden

I watched that clip for 3 mins. Just waiting for the fk to be taken..