Players that could’ve declared for other national teams

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Roy Aitken - Jamaica...... on account of his dad being Jim

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Messi's great-grandfather was Italian so could he have declared for Italy?

He lived in Spain for a long time so I suppose he could've declared for them too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wonder what international football would be like if players had to play for where they were born?

I get why players are allowed to declare for other countries but I still think it should be where you are born, of only cause it’d be interest to see what difference it would make to the established order.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Most of the England and France teams have double passports and could've declare for other nations. When you are the son of West African parents you have that passport.

Thiago is the son of two Brazilian athletes. Deco is Brazilian, Pepe as well. Marcos Senna. Mario Feranandes... too many to name

Argentina has quite a few too. Camoranesi comes to mind. Martinelli said he may pick Italy

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder what international football would be like if players had to play for where they were born?

I get why players are allowed to declare for other countries but I still think it should be where you are born, of only cause it’d be interest to see what difference it would make to the established order.
What if you were born in a country and left the next day?

Vanrouge

Has anyone mentioned Owen Hargreaves yet? I think he played for Wales when he was a teenager, switched to England, but could have played for Canada, where he was born. Damn, he might even have been eligible for Germany (though I doubt it)!

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Reyna from Dortmund as well could've declared for England.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Messi obviously, he rejected Spain several times.

with Podolski was the opposite. he was actually deemed not good enough for Poland and was rejected by their manager, then the Germans came and the rest is history.

Rakitic and Higuain.
Are you sure about that? He started playing for Germany at u17 level and at senior level he was an immediate success, scoring ten goal in his debut season. Was this supposed to have happened when he was in his early teens?

ninjaskill

David Alaba could have played for the Philippines I imagine as his mother was born there.

Bole Top

Are you sure about that? He started playing for Germany at u17 level and at senior level he was an immediate success, scoring ten goal in his debut season. Was this supposed to have happened when he was in his early teens?
I actually wasn't sure at first as I was speaking from my memory, so decided to google it now. wiki says it happened in late 2003, when he was still interested and eligible to play for Poland senior team. their manager simply stated they had better strikers and that was it. his name is Pawel Janas - "We have much better strikers in Poland than Podolski. I don't see a reason to call up a player just because he played one or two good matches in the Bundesliga."

just a couple of months later Voller gave him couple of minutes for Germany in match against Hungary.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Could Owen have played for Wales?
Harry Kane was eligible for Rep. Ireland
Not sure, i dont think so. He went to school in wales and was chosen for wales schoolboys. Cudicini could have played for England, through citizenship

Desailly Ghana
Simone Perrotta was born near Stoke. Ashton under Lyme
Mbappe Cameroon

Most English players have Welsh grandparents or a parent... and vice versa

Last edited:

Dwight Corke

Giuseppe Rossi for USA.
Miralem Pjanic for Luxembourg.
Mark Viduka for Croatia and Ukraine.
Seedorf and Davids for Suriname.
Marco Asensio for Netherlands.

Dwight Corke

Alot German-born players of African descent fit the profile.

Gnabry and Tah ( Cote d'Ivoire)
Rudiger (Sierra Leone)
Gerald Asamoah, David Odonkor and Jerome Boateng (Ghana).

Matip and Choupo-Moting chose Cameroon.
Jeffrey Schlupp and KP Boateng chose Ghana.

dbs235

It's getting back to what I said before with it being based on your own judgement. You say a list of players from exotic/unexpected countries but It all depends on their ability and relevance. I'm not asking for the whole list. The reason why I posted the others because they are big name players which people would be interested in.
It's an interesting thread not sure why anyone has a problem with it.

Charles Miller

Pepe, Thiago Motta, Thiago Alcantara and Diego Costa would have been a big upgrade in the Brazil nt in 2014 for sure.

Oranges038

He was, his brother tried to declare for Ireland but obviously wasn’t good enough.

As were Gerrard who’s cousin played for Ireland, Rio as well who’s cousin also played for Ireland. Scholes I believe is part Irish too. Darren Fletcher and Gascoigne too. Tim Cahill actually took it to court to play for Ireland but wasn’t allowed, under current rules he’d have been eligible. Basically half of English players have an Irish grandparent somewhere.

Frank Quedrue tried to declare too at one point, was probably more eligible than Cascarino.

BootsyCollins

Essentially yes, if you want to move and reside in a country for 5 years and they’ll give you citizenship then you can play for anyone. They added the 5 year residency rule to try curtail countries handing out citizenship to just anyone.

The British nations can’t do that though due to the home nations agreement so you need the player to move before 13 to have 5 years of education there.
Ah, thanks.
So there still is a possibillity that PSG owners get tired of club football and decide to do the same thing, only with their national team? Or worse, do both..

Sign for PSG meaning you change national teams to:nervous:

Qatar pretty much bought the winning team....
Disgusting.
Yes it was basicly like a club competing in a national cup.

Chief123

No he couldn’t. Nor could De Bruyne for that matter. Debatable if Haaland could either. Not a great start when half your examples are wrong.

And it is have not of.
How is Haaland debatable? Not a great response when your just wrong. :lol:

Red00012

Obviously it must get mentioned all the time

But you cant blame us. 2 players that could have changed the entire outlook of Irish international football for a more than a decade.
Rice sitting on the subs bench and MON left him there , the rest is history

PoTMS

Well it all depends on facts none of us are aware of, ergo it’s debatable. So turns out I’m entirely correct. Funny way to make a completely pointless post.
Mate, give it up. You're just coming across as a bit of a dick. The OP was entirely correct in including Haaland.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Well it all depends on facts none of us are aware of, ergo it’s debatable. So turns out I’m entirely correct. Funny way to make a completely pointless post.
He was born in Leeds which means regardless of his father's status, one way or another he'd be able to get British citizenship if didn't have so automatically. Quite simply, Haaland could have played for England, the argument youre trying to make can be made for literally every player with foreign parents. You're trying to be clever but coming across a fool.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was born in Leeds which means regardless of his father's status, one way or another he'd be able to get British citizenship if didn't have so automatically. Quite simply, Haaland could have played for England, the argument youre trying to make can be made for literally every player with foreign parents. You're trying to be clever but coming across a fool.
It doesn’t meant that, his right to citizenship relies entirely on his Father’s status.

If every country has the same citizenship rights as the UK, which they don’t, and it isn’t proven they have the citizenship then sure, literally every player in those scenarios is debatable until proven to hold citizenship.

You’re trying to be clever but coming across as a fool not knowing the rights to British citizenship. Being born in Leeds doesn’t grant you British citizenship. It’s not my fault you’re a fool and don’t know that. Whether he meets the requirements is debatable as is based on a fact we don’t know. It’s a very easy concept to understand.

You’re just boring me now. Learn what debatable means and come back to me.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It doesn’t meant that, his right to citizenship relies entirely on his Father’s status.

If every country has the same citizenship rights as the UK, which they don’t, and it isn’t proven they have the citizenship then sure, literally every player in those scenarios is debatable until proven to hold citizenship.

You’re trying to be clever but coming across as a fool not knowing the rights to British citizenship. Being born in Leeds doesn’t grant you British citizenship. It’s not my fault you’re a fool and don’t know that. Whether he meets the requirements is debatable as is based on a fact we don’t know. It’s a very easy concept to understand.

You’re just boring me now. Learn what debatable means and come back to me.
You can attain citizenship through naturalization if needs be and had Haaland wanted to play for England the country he was born in, he could have done that (ignoring the fact that you know literally nothing about haalands parents status).

I was literally born in the UK and I'm not a British citizen, I think I know the laws quite well thanks. Now shut up and accept you were wrong and move on.