Players who often flop in crutch matches?

Sir Erik ten Hag

This is a thread for the players that you deem as frequent flops in big matches? And a bit of why as well as examples of the matches would be nice.

Lukaku
Maguire

Those kinds of players.

Kopral Jono

De Gea is a true bottler -- literally lost count the number of times he's cost us in crunch matches. Lukaku, I think last night is a bit unwarranted; his body shape and donkey-like mannerisms skew a lot of the narrative around him. The 'block' he made he quite literally couldn't do anything about and the gilt-edged chance I would imagine directing a header at that split of a second isn't as easy as it looks.

Siorac

This is a thread for the players that you deem as frequent flops in big matches? And a bit of why as well as examples of the matches would be nice.

Lukaku
Maguire

Those kinds of players.
Maguire isn't a flop in big matches in particular. He's just not very good which often gets exposed in all sorts of games.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You got to go with crunch or clutch.

Nickelodeon

Controversial one. But Bruno.

While his stats wouldn’t be too bad (I haven’t checked), we need more maturity and composure from him on the ball which we rarely get. Most of the flicks don’t come off and put more pressure on the team. His performance in the FA Cup final was not the least bit surprising.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Lewandowski

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always thought it was a bit of a myth that players just are terrible in big games but Lukaku really puts that to bed.

Other players like Henry were probably harshly criticised for his lack of contribution in big games in comparison.

Controversial one. But Bruno.

While his stats wouldn’t be too bad (I haven’t checked), we need more maturity and composure from him on the ball which we rarely get. Most of the flicks don’t come off and put more pressure on the team. His performance in the FA Cup final was not the least bit surprising.
I'm with you on this one. He plays too emotionally during big games and pisses around

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
From your team ..id say B Fernandes and DeGea
From ours...id say Partey...Odegaard/Saka are a little questionable too.

Tough to say, neither team has been in too many clutch situations until this year.

NLunited

Players often seem to go missing in big games, but this is not really what is happening.

The stakes are high, the game is tight and strikers/creative midfielders are shut down. They will get one or two moments only.

The same goes for the gk: one mistake will likely be decisive. The pressure they face is gigantic.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Who was the goalkeeper for liverpool again in the 2018 cl final?

Tap

I don’t think Maguire fits as he can have brain farts in any match, not just the big ones

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I don’t think many come close to DdG‘s tournament „performance“,
But for some reason there a still many fans happy with him as out number 1 again next season :houllier:
It’s unbelievable he still has so many fans. Maybe because after games he happily gives interviews telling everyone how that was not enough and we need to improve :o

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Players often seem to go missing in big games, but this is not really what is happening.

The stakes are high, the game is tight and strikers/creative midfielders are shut down. They will get one or two moments only.

The same goes for the gk: one mistake will likely be decisive. The pressure they face is gigantic.
The other thing is that the biggest games are against the best opposition. If you're good but not great, you'll look good against most opposition but won't perform as well when up against the best. And as you say, even the best players won't get as many opportunities for anything against top opposition.

That's all normal, and not 'bottling'. So as for the OP's examples: people like Maguire and Lukaku never look like world beaters, so them not stepping up to the plate in the biggest matchest is just to be expected; it's simply above their level. Nothing to do with bottling.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Higuain, Aguero, Kompany, Thiago Silva, Luk, Yaya, De Gea, Ter Stegel, Marqinhos, Verrati, Zlatan, Ozil

wangyu

The majority of "stars" play poorly in big matches for obvious reasons. A better thread would be which star players perform at their best in big matches? Zidane would be my top pick.

Maguire actually plays very decently in most matches at the highest stage (WC and EC)

KeanoMagicHat

Lautaro Martinez was shite in the two finals this year. Cost Inter, nearly cost Argentina.