Players who should have never been sold in the post-Fergie era?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No lengthy OP. Per the header, four come to mind immediately for me:

- Jonny Evans: had a crisis of confidence that was a fraction of what we’ve seen in others and was rounded on before being booted out of the club despite being the kind of quality, cheap, utilitarian option that could’ve contributed in multiple positions as well as being a solid backup option if/when not a starter. We’ve not had many defenders outright better than him in his post-United career, further highlighting what a stupid sale this was.

- Daley Blind: quality, intelligent footballer with technical ability and an eclectic flexibility across numerous systems. On relatively low wages, a good personality around the club, and comfortable interchanging between starter and bench/sub. Another really dumb sale.

- Wilifred Zaha: needed coaching and nurturing. If he wasn’t knobbing Moyes’ daughter, we pulled the trigger on a solid performer with potential prematurely and unwisely. The kind of player Fergie would have made something of.

- Chris Smalling: lambasted for his ball-playing skills whilst being a very capable defender. Even if not a starter, that’s the kind of player that states you have a strong squad if he’s subbing in for an injured starter. Was sold and not upgraded upon for a net gain of minus however million you want to calculate when all is said and done.

Four for me at the moment, which players fit the bill for you?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I dunno, I recall all of Evans, Blind, and Smalling being absolute shite for us before they were sold. If it's a case of players we sold who went on to be successful at clubs with lower standards and expectations then I imagine a lot of big clubs have those same issues? Though in fairness Blind did go on to play in a better Ajax side that achieved more. Evans in retrospect doesn't look great because we then splashed a world record fee on his partner who's worse than him :lol:

Zaha for sure never really got a shot here and should have.

Herrera is the main one that springs to mind, not because he was anything special, but because he was a decent midfielder for us who we could have easily kept if we'd sorted out his contract earlier. He wasn't sold because he was crap for us or we didn't need him, it was just pure negligence.

Revan

Assumptionman
Evans was absolute shit in Moyes season. He revived his career, but he was really really bad in that season, worse than Maguire or Lindelof ever were for us.

Blind, I agree. He played good, was cheap and could cover multiple positions.

Zaha had to go. He was not ready for a big club, and well, he never made that jump even though he has played alright.

Smalling is AWB of CBs. No place for him in modern football and not that good at defending.

I actually think our main problem was keeping players too long (Jones, Bailly, Mata, AWB, etc) rather than selling them and then regretting it (like Chelsea might have done with De Bruyne and Salah).

Blind for sure such a classy intelligent player, when he had his man bun it made me love him even more.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Evans was absolute shit in Moyes season. He revived his career, but he was really really bad in that season, worse than Maguire or Lindelof ever were for us.

Blind, I agree. He played good, was cheap and could cover multiple positions.

Zaha had to go. He was not ready for a big club, and well, he never made that jump even though he has played alright.

Smalling is AWB of CBs. No place for him in modern football and not that good at defending.

I actually think our main problem was keeping players too long (Jones, Bailly, Mata, AWB, etc) rather than selling them and then regretting it (like Chelsea might have done with De Bruyne and Salah).
Last season Maguire? I doubt

Zippycup

Hernandez. We sold him for something silly like £8m when he was only 27 years old.

A player who was happy(ish) to sit on the bench and could have made a big impact coming on from there.
Not only that, but he would have died for the club, that's such an important trait in a player

mu4c_20le

Smalling - could've avoided the maguire record fee. I campaigned this at the time and people wanted rid because he apparently couldn't pass or whatever jose said

Young - still a decent deputy for shaw and miles ahead of telles

Rafael - probably just sentimental but felt like we missed someone like him for ages

Shai-Hulud

Chicharito. Loved that guy. He could have been useful at times. Fecking Moyes and LVG killed his joie de vivre.

CM

I don't think there are many who you can make a strong case for never being sold. A lot of it probably boils down to the replacements who came in for them also being pretty poor. I suppose you could make a case for any of Rafael, Nani, Hernandez or Blind staying a bit longer to do a job. Nobody particularly jumps off the page though.

Idxomer

I dunno, I recall all of Evans, Blind, and Smalling being absolute shite for us before they were sold. If it's a case of players we sold who went on to be successful at clubs with lower standards and expectations then I imagine a lot of big clubs have those same issues? Though in fairness Blind did go on to play in a better Ajax side that achieved more. Evans in retrospect doesn't look great because we then splashed a world record fee on his partner who's worse than him :lol:

Zaha for sure never really got a shot here and should have.

Herrera is the main one that springs to mind, not because he was anything special, but because he was a decent midfielder for us who we could have easily kept if we'd sorted out his contract earlier. He wasn't sold because he was crap for us or we didn't need him, it was just pure negligence.
I don't think Blind was ever shit for us at any point.

He had his flaws but he was usually reliable and played well during our FA Cup and EL wins.

lysglimt

Scout
Rafael. Was gutted when he was sold.
Why ? We couldn't have a right-back who on average missed 50% of all matches. Had to look him up - he had one season where he played more than 20 league matches....the guy has played a total of 233 league matches in 13 seasons.....

georgipep

No lengthy OP. Per the header, four come to mind immediately for me:

- Jonny Evans: had a crisis of confidence that was a fraction of what we’ve seen in others and was rounded on before being booted out of the club despite being the kind of quality, cheap, utilitarian option that could’ve contributed in multiple positions as well as being a solid backup option if/when not a starter. We’ve not had many defenders outright better than him in his post-United career, further highlighting what a stupid sale this was.

- Daley Blind: quality, intelligent footballer with technical ability and an eclectic flexibility across numerous systems. On relatively low wages, a good personality around the club, and comfortable interchanging between starter and bench/sub. Another really dumb sale.

- Wilifred Zaha: needed coaching and nurturing. If he wasn’t knobbing Moyes’ daughter, we pulled the trigger on a solid performer with potential prematurely and unwisely. The kind of player Fergie would have made something of.

- Chris Smalling: lambasted for his ball-playing skills whilst being a very capable defender. Even if not a starter, that’s the kind of player that states you have a strong squad if he’s subbing in for an injured starter. Was sold and not upgraded upon for a net gain of minus however million you want to calculate when all is said and done.

Four for me at the moment, which players fit the bill for you?
Smalling wanted out exactly because he was facing being a bench option. He would've been kept if he didn't want a starting role.

I disagree on Zaha as he requires a team to play for him and, honestly, he isn't good enough for Manchester United to play for him.

mu4c_20le

Why ? We couldn't have a right-back who on average missed 50% of all matches. Had to look him up - he had one season where he played more than 20 league matches....the guy has played a total of 233 league matches in 13 seasons.....
Seemed fine at Lyon and that wasn't the reason anyways. It was because LvG hates Brazilians

peridigm

Herrera is the only one I can think of. He put in a shift. Fellaini too. Just think, Maguire could be lobbing balls on to that beautiful chest.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Blind, Hernandez, Nani, Evans, Romero IMO could have all had a future as squad options.

Nani was stupid to sell he could play on the right, probably the stupidest sale of the lot.

Teja

I think he'd regret leaving us too. He was loved here and relegated to being bench fodder at PSG. We could've potentially made Pogba work if we kept Herrera around. Matic + Herrera + Pogba would've actually been a good midfield. Unfortunately they only had a few games together.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was happy when most of them were sold, now with benefit of hindsight

Evans - We signed Rojo, Lindelof, Maguire and few other CBs, massive waste of money. Evans could have played as good as them if not better. Also none of them have passing range like Evans and he was good with both feet.

Rafael - He had injury issues but we replaced him with Darmian. Modern day FBs should be good at attacking and Rafael was very good at that.

Blind - It was painful sight when he played as LB under Jose but he was class under Van Gaal. With progressive manager, Blind would have been first choice player for us.

Smalling - 180 degree opposite player to Blind but as a pair they were good. He wasn't good with his passing but he was good defensively, he was strong and had recovery pace. Also the myth that with VAR he will concede lot of penalties has been busted long time back. By Italian standards (of dark arts) he might be the cleanest defender.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He was really bad, and Balotelli broke him entirely (it might also be the worst performance of a United CB I have ever seen).
Was this the 6-1 because we were playing fine that day until Evans got sent off at 1-0. He turned to complete shit under Van Gaal and had 2 atrocious performances v West Ham and MK Dons. Those were up there with the worst ever way more than the City game. There really was little choice but to sell him at the time

Skills

Snitch
Smalling - 180 degree opposite player to Blind but as a pair they were good. He wasn't good with his passing but he was good defensively, he was strong and had recovery pace. Also the myth that with VAR he will concede lot of penalties has been busted long time back. By Italian standards (of dark arts) he might be the cleanest defender.
feck me the caf has had some right morons over the years.

EngimaMK

Smalling over Jones. Zaha is an excellent winger who should never have left. Fergie would've made him a real hit. Blind was an good CB and utility player. Herrera couldn't have been worse than many of our recent midfielders.

TheRedHearted

Yes much like in Goodfellas.

Place the pair of twats in a witness protection scheme style existence.
Just meant cause his house got broken into. Different area, make him feel safe.
The guy had second or third most assists in the league in his “terrible” first season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Smalling sold because Lindelof had better passing range despite not showing much of it 99% of the time.

Replacing him with Maguire was an even worse mistake.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Smalling

No world beater but physically a beast and would have been a great 3rd choice CB.

Blind

Class passer. Again not a world beater but could fill in at numerous positions.

Rafael

A warrior with talent. The best RB in the league for our last title win.

Zaha

Didn't even get a chance. Could have done with a forward that could beat players from a standing start.

Nani

2 footed unpredictable winger that beats players. Yes he frustrates but what tricky winger doesn't?

Chicharito

Not the best footballer but a poaching extraordinaire. A perfect impact sub and he seemed fine with coming off the bench. 1 on 1 with the keeper he was money in the bank. Elite goals to minutes ratio.

Herrera

Our midfield deteriorated dramatically after he left.

davidmichael

Evans for sure is as good as Maguire has ever been at club level and would have saved us £80 million, I’d say Zaha was another one as well as he’s no worse than any of the options we’ve had out wide in recent years.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Just undo everything LVG did in the transfer market (Rafael, Evans, Nani, Zaha, Welbeck) and we'd be in a better place.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rafael. We still haven’t replaced him