Players who will still be here in 5 years time?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
There will be more current players remaining in 5 years time than there are players remaining five years ago. That is because in SAF's last few seasons he placed a lot of importance in the elder statesmen - Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Vidic and Evra keeping out younger players who as a result decided to move on, and buying RVP as a short term signing (which you could argue was part of why Kagawa and Welbeck moved). We also had some young talents turn out completely shit of their own accord despite many opportunities like Anderson, Cleverley, Gibson (you could arguably add Welbeck to this category too), I don't think it's hugely optimistic to expect a few of the current youngsters to fair better.

My guess:

Highly probable:
Herrera
Shaw
Depay
Smalling
Jones
De Gea :wenger:

Likely to stay 3-4 years but current age means likely to leave in 4-6 years time:
Mata
Rooney
Carrick

Possible depending on individuals' development:
Januzaj
McNair
Pereira
Wilson

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will definitely stay...
Smalling
Jones
Shaw

Probably...
Herrera
Mata
Depay
Blind
Wilson
Januzaj

Other players, you never know, either too good and got nicked by bigger clubs, or lack of first team appearance will force them move away.

Glanville95

I'd say Shaw indefinitely, but beyond him in not so certain of any other players future.

I see Smalling as a potential future captain, but the next manager may not view him so highly. For instance if Pep replaces LVG then there are concerns over his status in the squad due to his ball-playing ability all over again.

We are likely to sign another centre back and that might leave Jones on the periphery, so I could see him leaving for the good of his career.

Blind will possibly stay, as his role in the side had shades of Ji-Sung Park and look how vital he was to us and how many years he enjoyed here. Blind will likely be the same though I'm not sure he can ever become a permanent fixture in the side.

My thoughts on Herrera are based solely off intuition and not really logic. He seems like a very committed and loyal player who thoroughly enjoys representing this club, so unless one of the big Spanish clubs come knocking (don't think they will), he will be here for years.

Admittedly I haven't seen too much of Pereira, so a lot of this is based off of hearsay; just not sure how good he can become and whether he's capable of becoming s regular first team player here with so much competition. He's tied down to a long-term contract now though, so who knows. May enjoy a fruitful career.

People say jokingly about Madrid going in for Depay in a few years time, but I think that is honestly a very genuine concern. I could see him having a similar trajectory to Ronaldo and I'm adamant he will be a star. Otherwise he'll be here for the long haul.

Finally, I'd have Januzaj. I'm personally not his biggest fan though I realise he hasn't shown his best ability this season and is largely untapped potential. I think in a few years we will see Depay as the comfortably superior talent - if he isn't already - and I could also see another marquee signing come in over the next two years. Someone of Bale proportions. I'll side with him surviving however.

So just to categorise:

Staying indefinitely: Shaw

Likely to stay: Smalling, Jones, Blind, Herrera, Pereira, Depay & Januzaj

50/50: Rojo, McNair, Mata, Wilson

Likely to leave: de Gea, Valdes, Blackett, Fellaini, di Maria, Rooney

Leaving indefinitely: Lindegaard, Valencia, Rafael, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Nani, van Persie, Hernandez

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Herrera
Shaw
Smalling
Depay
Jones
Blind

|Neo|x

Shaw
Smalling
Herrera
Depay
Blind

Outside of these 5 it's hard to say and depends a lot on some of our younger players development. Januzaj, McNair and Pereira all have a good chance if they develop their potential.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I actually dont think any of our current players will be here in 5 years.
And if any of them are, they are likely to be fringe players who barely even make the bench.
The days of Fergie, when he would bring in someone and motivate them to play for him for many years, are gone.
Remember when Scholes was brought of our retirement - this wont be happening for us anytime soon.
I think now you will see players join us...they will gives us a few good years...then get sold. If they perform badly in 1-2 years, they will be moved on, to make space for the next player.
We are moving towards the Real Madrid model.

Ask yourself this question: in 5 years, we will be expected to compete for the CL title. Do you believe that any of our players (+ 5 years older), will be good enough to compete in a CL semi/final? I dont.

Skills

Snitch
Saw this thread on RAWK, so I'd like to hear the Car's thoughts on players will definitely be here in the long term especially with the recent high turnover of the playing squad after the stability under Sir Alex.

If we did this in 2010 only the following guys survive the cutoff.
Rooney
Carrick
Rafael
Nani
Evans
Valencia
Smalling

I'm pretty sure by the end of the summer Evans, Rafa and Nani will be gone leaving just 4.

Smalling
Jones
Shaw
Depay
Blind
Not even 4 years yet but realistically at the end of the summer only :

Shaw
Jones
Smalling
Young

Will be left from the squad at the end of 14/15.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Not even 4 years yet but realistically at the end of the summer only :

Shaw
Jones
Smalling
Young

Will be left from the squad at the end of 14/15.
And Jones and Smalling will 100% still be with you 5 years from now too! :lol:

Skills

Snitch
What's funny for me is that there's been a collosal turnover of playing staff, yet people still cry and bitch about how 'these players drove 3 managers out' or that our managers weren't backed properly.

Fingeredmouse

It's impossible to say "definitely" now. Too many changes, too much instability, too far off of the pace.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So much faith in Depay :(

I was guilty too, I thought we had ourselves the new Ronaldo :(

I thought he and Martial would be doing for us what Salah and Mane are doing for Pool.

AgentP

We need to make a thread for the next 5 years. I think only McT and Dalot will survive.