Players whose great stints at United are often forgotten

Kylar Stern

Gary Neville for me, never seems to appear on the list of great United players but he was a top, top RB, great crossing ability, left everything on the pitch and bled United.

I suspect his career as a pundit/gobby cnut is why hes seemingly overlooked but IMO weve never really replaced him since he left.

AlPistacho

Superb shout. Very talented player.
Always thought of as a rotation player.. I can’t even remember if that was the case. Think we had so many options to partner Stam not even SAF knew who he’s best one was, there was Johnson, May, Berg

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Bartez
Hargreaves - Berg - Silvestre - Heinze
Johnson
Sharpe - Anderson - Herrera - Kanchelskis
Saha​

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
RvN - The club didn’t win as much with him here but he himself was such a fantastic goalscorer.

De Gea - Gets plenty of stick now due to his contract but he’s been a superb keeper and one of the very best in the world at points.
I don't know if my memory has dismissed the misses, but he was always the striker I was most confident would put the ball away for us.
RVP and Ibra scored a lot of goals, but both had really long periods in the season without scoring or looking likely too.

Those RVN 40 goal seasons were phenomenal, and we were pretty much playing a one man strike force back then.

It feels a stark contrast to these days where Rashy and Martial have perhaps once had a 18-20 goal season each and those were seen as brilliant.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I only read the first page of this “forgotten United players” who were good thread, but it genuinely got me thinking, who the feck forgot about the contributions of Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Sheringham, Brown, Yorke and Carrick? Ffs. Just a few names listed on page one.

Thread should be titled “Mental posters who think United legends are forgotten”.

Amir

Always thought of as a rotation player.. I can’t even remember if that was the case. Think we had so many options to partner Stam not even SAF knew who he’s best one was, there was Johnson, May, Berg
I think Johnsen was regularly seen as the best option, but he had plenty of injuries and could also be moved to another position.

Take our two famous matches against Inter in 1999 - remembered quite a bit for Berg's contributions. Johnsen started the first leg, but was replaced by Berg at HT, due to injury I assume. In the second leg Berg partnered Stam at CB - because Johnsen played midfield.

davidmichael

Les Sealey, Paul Parker, Ronny Johnsen, Clayton Blackmore, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Lee Sharpe and Brian McClair all instantly come to mind off the top of my head.

CloneMC16

I only read the first page of this “forgotten United players” who were good thread, but it genuinely got me thinking, who the feck forgot about the contributions of Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Sheringham, Brown, Yorke and Carrick? Ffs. Just a few names listed on page one.

Thread should be titled “Mental posters who think United legends are forgotten”.
Agreed. I don't know how any of those players are supposedly forgotten. Everybody knows them and appreciates what they did for us. Brown is the only vaguely acceptable name, and even that is pushing it.

My nomination would go to Saha. He was great for us when he was fit. When he replaced Ruud during the 05-07 period, he was exceptional. I loved watching him.

AlPistacho

I think Johnsen was regularly seen as the best option, but he had plenty of injuries and could also be moved to another position.

Take our two famous matches against Inter in 1999 - remembered quite a bit for Berg's contributions. Johnsen started the first leg, but was replaced by Berg at HT, due to injury I assume. In the second leg Berg partnered Stam at CB - because Johnsen played midfield.
You’re right he was also a good option in CM when Scholes or Keane were out. Yeah, I think injuries were a problem for all the CB’s other than Stam, I remember May and Berg were also regularly out injured.

BestRed

Does mark Hughes count? Probably the only player I reckon who has played for United, Bayern and Barcelona.

He is a bitter towards united now, so fans might not remember that he was a youth product and a very good striker as well. I myself was surprised to read that he was associated with us at one time through a random Wikipedia binge.
No don't think Sparkys contribution is ever forgotten, least I hope not. Despite some unfortunate managerial career decisions, he was a top, top player in his time at the club.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

Bartez
Hargreaves - Berg - Silvestre - Heinze
Johnson
Sharpe - Anderson - Herrera - Kanchelskis
Saha​
Mostly agree with this except 3. I don't remember Anderson being ever great. He got on in a 3 man midfield protected by Fletcher, Carrick or Scholes. Hargreaves barely played for him to be considered having a great stint. Barthez can hardly be considered great given the number of goofups he made. Remember, Tim effing Howard was viewed as an upgrade to Barthez.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Agreed. I don't know how any of those players are supposedly forgotten. Everybody knows them and appreciates what they did for us. Brown is the only vaguely acceptable name, and even that is pushing it.

My nomination would go to Saha. He was great for us when he was fit. When he replaced Ruud during the 05-07 period, he was exceptional. I loved watching him.
Saha is a good, but still fairly well known shout. I’d venture some less fashionable names who actually made some good, solid contributions without ever being the most talented or high profile players but who were good squad players for successful teams. Like Quinton Fortune and Raimond Van Der Gouw. I don’t think Berg or Johnsen were anywhere nearly enough well revered for their contributions, especially Johnsen who had all the tools for a top CB, but given they were part of the Treble winning team, hardly forgotten.

Beyond that Phil Neville was a really solid player who could play so many positions and was a few times did an amazing man marking job in defensive midfield, as well as able to play in either full back position. A consummate team and solid squad player. Somebody said Ince, which was bonkers before that Keane/Ince midfield was fecking fantastic and he was a really big money, high profile signing when we got him. Maybe an age thing for some posters. There was a heck of a furore when we sold him, Hughes and Kanchelskis in the same summer and promoted Butt, Beckham and Scholes.

I can’t even mention O’Shea or Park because although never celebrated, high profile players at the time, everyone still appreciated their worth to the squad and they were here for a long time. We came third in the league once, playing Giggs and O’Shea in CM for six months. Right before we signed Carrick and Scholes was out with his eye thing.

From the treble winning team, maybe Blomqvist gets overlooked a lot, because of the profile of the others. But he was really consistent, if unspectacular and due to suspensions started the final.

I also have decently fond memories of Jordi Cryuff and Karen Poborsky, even if they never set the world alight and more was expected.

FCAES_7

Darren Fletcher was a solid player for nearly 12 years for United who is not appreciated enough by fans. If I remember correctly he was a big miss in one of the CL Finals we lost to Barca. achieved 5 PL titles and 1 CL is not a bad record. I still remember his 2 goals vs City in the Michael Owen Game. Maybe if it wasn't for his illness he would have retired as a United Player.

Chief123

Im assuming this is a windup by a Celtic fan.
I think he scored 3 goals in 13 appearances. :lol:
This is a perfect example of someone basing their whole judgement based off a quick google search, looking at the stats and deciding he was shit.
You clearly didn’t watch Utd during that time and don’t really have a clue about the context. His short tenure was valuable to us to give us quality at a time where we needed to rotate the team rather than run the likes of Rooney into the ground every match.

If you had any idea, you’d know we were desperate to keep Larsson beyond March time when he had already agreed to return to Sweden beforehand. Utd tried their best but larsson wanted to honour his agreement. But yeah he scored 3 goals so must be shit right? I mean it’s not really a small feat scoring 3 goals, just ask Rangers in the champions league.

Chief123

I don't know if this is a caf-specific phenomenon (probably not), but it often amazes me how some players' contributions are erased from the collective memory on here.

1. To me, the best example of -current- players is Luke Shaw. It is often referred to "that one good season" (as part of a more general roasting of him), while he has in fact had several great runs for us, such as before the leg break, the year he won the POTY, the previously mentioned season - and also his current run of form. By all means, when he is out of form, he seems a complete shadow of himself, and seems the textbook definition of a confidence player. But when he is on it, he's a very stable performer, and one of the best full-backs in the league.

2. Another example is Chris Smalling, who people in here ripped into constantly as part of the "chuckle brothers" during his last years here. But Smalling was truly great for several seasons, around 2014-2015 and at the end of SAF's reign (except when playing as full-back, which he was dreadful as). I'd even argue he was our best player for at least one season.

3. Somewhat different, as very few criticize him, but I also feel it is easily forgotten how good Michael Carrick actually was for us - at least underappreciated due to him playing alongside much "flashier" players (and in a less flashy way). He is exactly the kind of player we have been sorely missing for such a long time now.

Other good suggestions here?
Isn’t the title a little confusing? “Stint” normally refers to a short period of time. Some of the names being mentioned were with us for many years so not sure they can be regarded as stints.

ScholesyTheWise

Hehe yeah, felt the same regarding some of the names that have been mentioned.... Becks in particular boggled the mind...

It actually feels weird to think that any of us here, who (I'd guess) watch the vast majority of our matches and spend lots of time reading and discussing United online, could forget a player that's been genuinely good for us.

I mean, the OP probably had players like O'Shea, Johnsen etc in mind, who had very good spells for us but were squad players and played next to far better players in general... So they won't be the first names to pop into one's head when thinking about great United players of the 2000's / 90's , but surely they won't be forgotten?

Gavinb33

Maybe forgotten is the wrong word but i always feel Gary Pallister isn't given his proper dues.

When we mention great center backs at United in the modern era its always Stam, Rio, Vidic that are mentioned 1st, but Pallister is never really mentioned i think he compares favorably to all 3 in my opinion maybe its because he never got the CL trophy in his stint here but he won pretty much everything else including Rotterdam in '90.

arnie_ni

This. Especially for the 99 CL Final.

Ole gets all the praise because he scored the winner. But Teddy came off the bench and scored then assisted. Much more than Ole, without Teddy we lose that game.
It actually somewhat annoys me teddy is never spoke about when the CL final is mentioned. Its all ole

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Maybe forgotten is the wrong word but i always feel Gary Pallister isn't given his proper dues.

When we mention great center backs at United in the modern era its always Stam, Rio, Vidic that are mentioned 1st, but Pallister is never really mentioned i think he compares favorably to all 3 in my opinion maybe its because he never got the CL trophy in his stint here but he won pretty much everything else including Rotterdam in '90.
Pallister was class, I agree. He had a great turn of pace, which most people don’t associate with him. But he was very good. A massive signing that was instrumental for us in winning that first title. Like other pivotal cbs we had, such as Vidic, he did it after enduring a difficult start too. Liked him a lot as a player. Bruce got a lot of the plaudits in that back line because of his free kick, penalty and general goal contributions - and I loved Bruce, criminal he was never capped, he scored 18 goals one season! - but Pally was the true class act back there.

Mal Donaghy, great player. Signed at 32, only had a couple of years before retirement/Paul Parker put and end to him. Helped United win the Cup winners Cup. Rols Royce of a player.

Hughie77

Gary Neville for me, never seems to appear on the list of great United players but he was a top, top RB, great crossing ability, left everything on the pitch and bled United.

I suspect his career as a pundit/gobby cnut is why hes seemingly overlooked but IMO weve never really replaced him since he left.
I'd agree with that . Never replaced him

Amanda Hugginkiss

Quinton Fortune for me. Played like it was an honour to wear the United badge for the 7 years he was with us

Frank Grimes

The title suggests that the player was not merely good but actually had a great stint. I think Dwight Yorke perfectly fits the brief. I don't see this as an underrated player thread, hence my Yorke pick.

AndersB

Isn’t the title a little confusing? “Stint” normally refers to a short period of time. Some of the names being mentioned were with us for many years so not sure they can be regarded as stints.
Very true. I should change it. Great periods? Contributions?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
1. David Herd - his goal scoring record is quite incredible but he rarely gets a mention because of Best, Law and Charlton
2. Steve Coppell - people talk about #7...well Coppell was an outstanding winger and would walk into todays team
3. Sammy McIlroy - his running at defences was often mesmerising but his contribution during some lean years is overlooked
4. Ray Wilkins - way ahead of his time with ball retention and a perfect foil for Bryan Robson. A real silky player of international class
5. Paul Ince - a powerhouse b2b player who was outstanding for United for seven seasons...

Others (some already mentioned in this thread) include Bailey, Duxbury, Albiston, Silvestre, Fletcher and especially Nicky Butt who from 1994-2000 was a terrific player.

norm87cro

Ill go with
1. Lee Sharpe - at one point he wasnt worse than Giggs and scored some great goals for us on the wing.
2. Park and Oshea - great squad options and very realiable players
3. Mark Robins - great striker scored the all important goal against Forest
4. Forlan - underated striker whos only sin was playing alongside RVN

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ill go with
1. Lee Sharpe - at one point he wasnt worse than Giggs and scored some great goals for us on the wing.
2. Park and Oshea - great squad options and very realiable players
3. Mark Robins - great striker scored the all important goal against Forest
4. Forlan - underated striker whos only sin was playing alongside RVN
Park's name is sung every week.

Greck

Valencia. Some don't know his debut season was a part of why we seemed to chug on smoothly the summer Ronaldo left. He and Rooney were a cheat code partnership that year. Of course it's going to sound ridiculous to anyone who didn't watch.

GueRed

He was very good whenever he was fit, just a shame he couldn't stay fit for any length of time,

had everything to be the best striker in the world
Yeah 2006 was one of the longest runs where he was fit and consistently available. Hence why i specifically pointed out that year.

He proved in that time he was more than good enough to lead United's world class attack.

Technically, football ability-wise in my opinion he had more to his game and was a better player than Drogba...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The title suggests that the player was not merely good but actually had a great stint. I think Dwight Yorke perfectly fits the brief. I don't see this as an underrated player thread, hence my Yorke pick.
These Yorke and Cantona numbers feel very under the radar: