Players with the steepest declines

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Gotze has to be up there. From scoring a world cup winning goal to barely making the Dortmund team. Guess injuries had a huge part in it but it's a steep decline nonetheless.

Michu went from fantasy league darling to holding onto his career by a thread. Again, injuries played their part.

Adrian Mutu seemed to decline pretty quickly?

Also, Chicharito went from United and Madrid to Leverkusen and West Ham.

EasyE

Mo Salah.
:lol::lol::lol: shadow of last year. Is he genuinely carrying an injury? He's been second best to every ball the past few games. Can't believe he hasn't been subbed in the last 20 mins or so. He's been tumescent.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Gotze has to be up there. From scoring a world cup winning goal to barely making the Dortmund team. Guess injuries had a huge part in it but it's a steep decline nonetheless.

Michu went from fantasy league darling to holding onto his career by a thread. Again, injuries played their part.

Adrian Mutu seemed to decline pretty quickly?

Also, Chicharito went from United and Madrid to Leverkusen and West Ham.
Dortmund had several of those, like Sahin and Kagawa

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Ibra did decline heavily after his long-time injury.

Rio Ferdinand was a huge liability at the end of his time at Utd.

Iker Casillas went from the Fifa XI to a laughing stock very quickly. One of the few good things Jose did as Madrid was to attack his status.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldinho.

Went from world's best player to shit (maybe not totally shit) in no time

Irwin99

Dwight Yorke. He's like a shooting star.
Good call. His first season with us was amazing, his second season very good and the third season (apart from that game against Arsenal) was pretty awful. I remember him having a mini revival as a defensive midfielder with Sunderland but I don't remember anything else about him after he left for Blackburn.

CallyRed

I mean Torres is the stand out example for me. The guy seemed to lose the ability to play football at Chelsea, and never really recovered.

At least some of the others mentioned resembled footballers.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Kinkladze. I don't remember him having bad injuries, he just turned crap after leaving Manchester City. Couldn't even dribble well anymore.

Hleb was the same after he left Arsenal, flopping at Barca happens, but he barely played a good game anywhere else after it.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
Vermaelen's form dipped, never got back in the first team. Sold to Barcelona, constant injuries.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Adriano for Inter Milan - was unstoppable by any team. Would score goals from absolutely anywhere - I watch some of his videos to this day.
This for me. At times with Inter he looked like a cheat code in a video game. Sad how he just didn't have the mentality or support to nurture outrageous combination of talent and physicality.

PvsNP

Vidic. A steep decline was bound to happen considering his aggressive playing style.

David Villa. He never was the same after breaking his tibia.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I mean Torres is the stand out example for me. The guy seemed to lose the ability to play football at Chelsea, and never really recovered.

Torres was a real head scratcher. Genuinely one of the best strikers I've ever seen, I was pretty jelous we never signed him after being convinced for two seasons that we would.

However, I still can't quite understand how he went so bad at Chelsea. Every week he was a laughing stock, and I just kept thinking "he's too good not to turn this around". Yet he never did.

Aloysius's Back 3

This for me. At times with Inter he looked like a cheat code in a video game. Sad how he just didn't have the mentality or support to nurture outrageous combination of talent and physicality.
He was incredible - pure power & precision - imagine one of his shots hitting your face. Literally rose to the top with no answer from anyone then it all went away.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Henry post-Arsenal, he was still decent, at times pretty good, but on average he was a shadow of his former self, a big decline for sure.

PvsNP

Henry post-Arsenal, he was still decent, at times pretty good, but on average he was a shadow of his former self, a big decline for sure.
I disagree. He was still great for two seasons before the decline hit him. Fell off a cliff after the 08/09 season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He was incredible - pure power & precision - imagine one of his shots hitting your face. Literally rose to the top with no answer from anyone then it all went away.

That was one of the shocking ones for me, his father dying completely crushed him. It's kind of crazy the many different ways incredible talent can simply disappear.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Rivaldo was quite decent at Olympiacos and AEK but just about finished as a top, top player at the elite level — far removed from his Barcelona peak. 7th in the 2001 Ballon D'Or rankings, 8th in 2002 — All-Star in the 2002 World Cup with critical performances in the Knockout stage vs. Belgium, Turkey and England — yet looked like a fish out of water at Milan — subsequently loaned back to Brazil and snubbed by Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ck-after-apologising-to-allardyce-553620.html

The Milan team of that period had a couple other high-profile players that suffered a steep decline for varying reasons after making Galáctico-lite moves wrt. profile: Redondo is arguably the most prominent one (knee damage) and there's also Rui Costa, relative to his performances at Fiorentina (which worked out perfectly for Kaká).

Also, Wesley Sneijder — from bona fide Ballon D'Or candidate with Treble winners Internazionale and 2010 World Cup Silver Ball with the Netherlands to never recapturing that sort of form again and moving to Galatasaray in just 18 months.

FrantikChicken

Didn't Torres get some sort of knee injury at Liverpool? I remember he was crap even before Chelsea signed him.

Also, how about Pato? I feel like one moment everyone was talking about him and was gone the next

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Didn't Torres get some sort of knee injury at Liverpool? I remember he was crap even before Chelsea signed him.

Also, how about Pato? I feel like one moment everyone was talking about him and was gone the next
He missed a lot of games in 2010 for Liverpool, then he was almost out of the Spanish team for the WC but made it through at the last moment because he was one of the key players.

I'll always think he pushed too hard to be in South Africa with Spain and destroyed his body, he lost a lot of his explosiveness, he was one of those guys that could create a lot of chances with his physical superiority but was wasteful at the same time, once he lost that pace and power he just remained a wasteful (but still inteligent) striker.

ArseHat

Yea, Torres wasn’t the same after his injuries in 2010 I feel. Had a poor World Cup (coming off the knee injury) and he was out of form and didn’t look like the explosive Torres we were used to seeing, but then he scored a brace against Chelsea which led everyone to think he was getting back to his best, and he subsequently got his move during that season’s January transfer window.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think he also said he drank his talent into oblivion.
Yes, his lifestyle is a mess but the drinking began heavily once his father passed away. He just couldn't recover.

SER19

Gaizka Mendieta hands down. From quality player for title winning Valencia to not really good enough to hold down a regular spot at a shite Middlesborough.
I’d argue that one. It was a shock move but in his first season he played a huge amount and was influential in boro winning their first trophy ever. That boro team over the next couple of years was very strong with ehiogu, zenden, a reemergent Juninho, hasselbaink, viduka, downing and many other good players. I’m fact some of their football en route to winning that league cup was really good with Mendieta central to it. He then had an absolutely shocking run of injuries which led to a steep decline but IMO injuries are a harsh way of measuring decline.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Maybe a bit harsh, but Juan Mata. World class at Chelsea, one of the best players in the league. Average at best for United most of the time.
It is a bit harsh as he has had his moments. It hasn't been so steep, but its worth a mention i think. I have a mate who is a Chelsea fan and before he moved to us I told him Mata was going to decline fast. The weird thing is I thought he was about 29 when he was 25 or something which is sort of funny and the fact that most of his goals for Chelsea was about being at the right place at the right time type of goal. I've always thought he was a bit overrated, but anyhow I didn't see his skillset holding up for several season and sadly that has been the case.

Green_Red

Eduardo... he did have that leg break at Arsenal, but it killed his career.

simplyared

Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke both unrecognizable playing in a Liverpool shirt. Since than playing for their current clubs gone from bad to worse. Both Prolific goalscorers at Newcastle and Aston Villa.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’d argue that one. It was a shock move but in his first season he played a huge amount and was influential in boro winning their first trophy ever. That boro team over the next couple of years was very strong with ehiogu, zenden, a reemergent Juninho, hasselbaink, viduka, downing and many other good players. I’m fact some of their football en route to winning that league cup was really good with Mendieta central to it. He then had an absolutely shocking run of injuries which led to a steep decline but IMO injuries are a harsh way of measuring decline.
I dunno, Boro did have some good players so tbf calling them shite was stupid, but I don't remember Mendieta ever impressing much for them. I remember them playing him a lot when he was on loan to try to get him to stay but I don't think he was anything like their most important player at any point which you'd have thought he would be. He just looked pedestrian. He was also a dud at Lazio before that, albeit he seemingly played a fair bit for Barcelona. I still think compared to the rep he had at Valencia he was basically done at the top level by about 29 which is really when a midfielder should peak.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke both unrecognizable playing in a Liverpool shirt. Since than playing for their current clubs gone from bad to worse. Both Prolific goalscorers at Newcastle and Aston Villa.
What always gets me is that Liverpool struck gold by selling a past-it Torres for 50 mil, which was like 150 in today's climate, and then spending 70% of it on Carroll :lol:

To put it into perspective, Suarez, who joined the same day, cost them a third less than Carroll