Elanga
Sancho
Henderson
McTominay
Fred
Greenwood
Wout
and Maguire
Man, thats a depressingly long list but cant disagree on much....its just pretty much impossible to change so many players in one window

Martial: Good technique and potential but never really improved that much, injury prone and not a winner, get rid
Maguire: good physically but just an awful footballer imo. Ball playing CB my ass.
Sancho: Feel we will give him an other season, dissapointing so far..some nice touches and goals but not a game changer
Fred: Very good or very poor nothing in between, would keep him as squad player maybe or get rid
McTominay: I would keep him as a squad player
van de Beek: Tidy player, very weak mentality, out
Williams, Elanga: I like these kids, but not good enough for United .They will have a decent career at a midtable club
Henderson: Not convinced and burned his bridges
Can't believe they are still here:
Jones (actually feel bad for him, the few times he played I thought he was good and he got way too much unfair criticism ...but he never plays and its ridiculous we are paying for him)
Telles
Bailly

Dont want to see him again in a United shirt for obvious reasons:
Greenwood

Wout: Stop gap but even as that it was a strange decision to choose him, likeable fella but nowhere near good enough, thank you but bye

I would add De Gea: Get a new number one in and Kovar as 2nd keeper.

Last edited:

peridigm

Man, thats a depressingly long list but cant dissagree on much....its just pretty much impossible to change so many players in one window

Martial: Good technique and potential but never really improved that much and injury prone and not a winner, get rid
Maguire: good physically but just an awful footballer imo. Ball playing CB my ass.
Sancho: Feel we will give him an other season, dissapointing so far..some nice touches and goals but not a game changer
Fred: Very good or very poor nothing in between, would keep him as squad player maybe or get rid
McTominay: I would keep him as a squad player
van de Beek: Tidy player, very weak mentality, out
Williams, Elanga: I like these kids but not good enough for United will have a decent career at a midtable club
Henderson: Not convinced and burned his bridges
Cant believe they are still here:
Jones
Telles
Bailly

Dont want to see him again in a United shirt for obvious reasons:
Greenwood

Wout: Stop gap but even as that it was a strange decision to choose him, likeable fella but nowhere near good enough, thank you but bye

I would add De Gea: Get a new number one in and Kovar as 2nd keeper.
Just as I posted, I'd get rid of several players multiple times if I could.

hobbers

Can’t argue with any of that. Did you leave off McTominay by design or accident?
More just I cant stand Fred being in the squad any more.

McTominay is on less wages and can do a passable job at CB and we cant get rid of everyone at once.

Oscar Bonavena

Realistic list:

Maguire - 10 million
McTominay - 15 million
Martial - 10 million
Sancho - loan back to BVB
Weghorst - don't renew the loan
Sabitzer - see above
Fred - 10 million
Jones - release
Williams - 2 million
Bailly - 3 million
Henderson - 10 million
DDG - 5 million
Telles - 2 million
Elanga - 4 million

That's a cull.

Do half of that and it's a start.
I agree with most of that list but we need to remember too that we need squad players who are not superstars but are happy to "do a job" in some of the more routine domestic games. Think of the successful United squads that had the likes of Phil Neville, John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher, Park Ji Sung etc.

So from that list, I think McT and Sabitzer might be worth keeping for those roles. I would have said Fred previously as he can have patches of good form, but he's been utter dogshit lately.

Interesting call on Sancho, might be worth a shot to see if he can get his form and confidence back but ultimately I don't think he has the mentality to make it as a player at the highest level.

Getting rid of David is not an immediate priority for me, but I'm probably an old dinosaur who doesn't fully understand the importance of playing it out from the back and who's happy if he's not chucking the ball into his own net like he was for a spell a few seasons ago. If a top quality, ball playing gk is available, sure, go for it.

Bailly is a big disappointment. He had all the physical attributes to make it as a top class CB but he's another walking sick note. No good to us.

I assume the likes of AWB, Dalot and Lindelof survive your cull as squad defenders?

Oscar Bonavena

Realistic list:

Maguire - 10 million
McTominay - 15 million
Martial - 10 million
Sancho - loan back to BVB
Weghorst - don't renew the loan
Sabitzer - see above
Fred - 10 million
Jones - release
Williams - 2 million
Bailly - 3 million
Henderson - 10 million
DDG - 5 million
Telles - 2 million
Elanga - 4 million

That's a cull.

Do half of that and it's a start.
Oh, and you can add Van de Beek to that list and all!

scottser

Anyone expecting a radical clearout will be disappointed. There are bigger priorities to move on than Fred, Lindelof, McT, AWB, Dalot and DeGea. They at least put a shift in when called upon, albeit within their limits and ETH might be satisfied to keep working with them to cover specific roles. Martial, Maguire plus all the other underachieving squad players like DVB, Bailly, Elanga, Williams should be transferred first. Retaining 'French House Novice Timber' might simply be a matter of necessity, for one season anyway.

TheLittleOne

Anyone expecting a radical clearout will be disappointed. There are bigger priorities to move on than Fred, Lindelof, McT, AWB, Dalot and DeGea. They at least put a shift in when called upon, albeit within their limits and ETH might be satisfied to keep working with them to cover specific roles. Martial, Maguire plus all the other underachieving squad players like DVB, Bailly, Elanga, Williams should be transferred first. Retaining 'French House Novice Timber' might simply be a matter of necessity, for one season anyway.
I agree mostly. Fred,Lidnelöf, AWB is not a priority for me its like 3rdTier of needing to get rid off. DDG 2nd Tier. McT I'd keep. And yes, I dont think more than half of the entire list of unwanted players will be gone next comming next season. We just need to be more clever with our signings. Instead of signing players with big names or great indiviual potential we need to have a game plan and sign players that fit into specific roles in that.

croadyman

The trouble if we don't sell either of McTominay/Fred then the club won't bother to bring in a backup DM which we desperately need

daveskimufc

Maguire,
Martial
Jones
Telles

I think these are the only ones I'd never want to see again. As much as I want martial to succeed, he hasn't done it in 5+yrs now and he clearly doesn't have the fight for it

van Nistelrooy

Harry Maguire

Phil Jones
Eric Bailly
Axel Tuanzebe
Donny van de Beek
Brandon Williams
Anthony Elanga
Dean Henderson
Anthony Martial

davidmichael

De Gea, sorry I get he’s been a great servant and been a great keeper for us over the years but he’s a total liability with his kicking and his one main strength in shot stopping is going the same way as he’s producing shocker after shocker

rajds89

DDG
Henderson
Maguire
Jones
McTominay or Fred
Martial

The rest I’m good with being backup as long as we bring in 3/4 first teamers.

DevTheRed

Goalkeepers
De Gea
Henderson

Defenders
Williams
Maguire
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones
Telles

Midfielders
Fred
VDB

Forwards
Martial
Elanga
Sancho
(Wout)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
De Gea
Henderson
Bailly
Maguire
Telles
McTominay
Fred
Donny
Elanga
Martial

I'd not sign either loan player either.

Jones is out of contract, right?

I like them both at times, but I'd also sell one of Dalot or AWB and get in a starter there.

ForeverRed1

Martial
Weghorst
Sabitzer
Maguire
Telles
Donny
Elanga
Jones
Bailley
Mctom
Fred
Williams
Greenwood
De Gea
Henderson

Chairman Steve

It says a lot when even with the improvements we’ve seen this year that we still want at least a third of the squad axed in the summer and you find yourself agreeing with it. We’ve got so much shit in the squad.

Like Tuanzebe is 25 and still a United player. Elanga looks like he may struggle for just a Premier League place at times. How is Bailly still here? How is Brandon Williams on £65k a week?

Last edited:

Intenhaagwetrust

It's more like who don't I want to go.

Maguire
Henderson
DDG
Telles
Bailly
Dalot
Mcrom
Fred
Donny (I love the kid but)
Elanga
Wout
Williams
Martial

We need to clean house and start again with players who will fight

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We need a 25-man squad to be there next season so we can’t exactly bin everyone.

I’d say it is easier to name players you’d be OK keeping:

GK: None
Full backs: All of them are OK for now
CBs: Varane, Martinez, Lindelof as backup. Rest should go.
Midfielders: Casemiro is the only one who is really OK to keep
Wingers: Realistically will need to keep Antony and Sancho. Prefer to keep Garnacho and Pellistri but quite pointless as Pellistri will never play
Forwards: Keep Rashford, bin the rest.

croadyman

De Gea
Henderson
Bailly
Maguire
Telles
McTominay
Fred
Donny
Elanga
Martial

I'd not sign either loan player either.

Jones is out of contract, right?

I like them both at times, but I'd also sell one of Dalot or AWB and get in a starter there.
Don't see us letting 12 go in one summer,however totally agree with the choices

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Sancho
Martial
Maguire
Jones
SNAP!
That's my top 4 deadwood players to leave.
It'll open up reduce our wage bill and shall enable us to buy some new players who might be able to contribute.

Henderson
Wan Bissaka or Dalot - there has to be right back who’s all round better
Maguire
Williams
Jones
Fred
Donny
Martial
Elanga
Bailly
Telles
Donny
Bailly
Telles

Are these still MUFC players?
I thought they'd already been ejected.

OL29

De Gea
Henderson
Telles
Williams
Bailly
Jones
Maguire
McTominay or Fred
VDB
Sancho
Martial

Would love to see all these guys sold/released but I don’t see us getting through that much work in one summer unfortunately.

Loony BoB

There are many players I'd love to see gone. However Rome is not built in one day and considering FFP, the club ownership change etc, we need to be less ambitious in terms of changes

GK: DDG, Henderson, Heaton - I'd say keep them all. Henderson has been injured for most of the season so we won't fetch any real money of him. DDG will probably stay even with a pay cut and Heaton provides an experienced no 3

RB: AWB and Dalot. Neither player is world class but both had improved this year. We can live another season with them around

CB: Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Ndicka. I think selling Maguire is a must. He's on silly salary, he's become a meme and he's got that one big mistake per game in him

LB: Shaw, Malacia, Alvaro Fernandez.

DM: Casemiro, Rice. Casemiro is, alongside Rashy, the corner stone of this season campaign success. Yet he's 31, he likes his yellow cards and legs are the first to go. Rice has just 1 year left in his contract. He tops the EPL in terms of distance covered and interceptions + he is a natural leader. I think that we should get the man

MC: Tielemans, McT - Tielemans on a free is a no brainer. He's 25, he's a technical deep lying play maker and I can see him pair magnificently with Casemiro or Rice in midfield. I'd keep McT as he's homegrown, he doesn't mind the bench too much and I think he'll do better further up the pitch.

AMC: Bruno, Eriksen

AMR: Antony, Sancho, Pellistri - At that salary I doubt anyone would want to buy Sancho this season and quite frankly we've got bigger problems to settle then that of finding a new club for him. I think this will be the make or break year for Sancho. If he fails then he'll have no excuses

AML: Rashford, Garnacho

STK: Muani, David - some might think that adding two strikers is overkill but its not the case

a- I am uncomfortable with spending some 100m on 1 striker. There aren't any safe bets out there that guarantee goals (ex RVN, Shearer, Batistuta type). The closest there is to that is Kane and spending 100m on a player of his age is crazy. Thus we'll better off distributing the stakes on two players. It's safer and puts less pressure on the players that way

b- I still believe that Greenwood can return and do well. Thus a year on loan, possibly at a friendly club (Ruud's PSV)? would contribute in removing the rust and score those 20-30 goals he need to get the fans warming up to his return.

Let go/Sell: Jones, Maguire, Telles, Fred, Elanga, VDB, Bailly
Excepting Greenwood, this is my favourite post so far. Only thing I would say is that the two CM positions need another backup or two. I also am not sure on the signings for strikers... But given you aren't selling Martial in your post, I guess he'll be a third option.

Judas

Open to offers
Not seeing Lindelof on nearly enough lists. Had enough of him. Meek, weak and constantly stopping playing sticking his hand in the air asking for a decision. Waste of space. Never been good enough.

Loony BoB

I'll also note that these threads are always kinda full of trash posts. A vetter thread is "Assuming we only buy 5 first team players this summer, which 3xGK, 2xLB, 2xRB, 4xCB, 5xCM, 6xAM, 3xST would be in your squad next season? You can include up to 5 extra players to make up the squad, and you don't have to name the new signings, just their positions."

The answers will give a much clearer and more rational/realistic replies for our sales.

Woodywizz

Maguire and Martial would be the 2 highest profile disposals and would send the biggest message that changes are afoot.

There’s several other fringe ones I’d get rid of but the above 2 transfers to me would send a strong message.

Lyng

De Gea
Henderson
Maguire
Bailly
Williams
Jones
Telles
Fred
McTomminay
DvB
Sabitzer
Sancho
Wout
Greenwood
Martial

Levi1

Maguire
Fred
Maguire
McTominay (if we get a good fee)
Telles
Sancho (loan)
Pellistri (loan)
Martial
Maguire
Vd Beek
But mostly, Maguire.

If we can't sell some of the above, I'd like to see us break a few contracts, even if we're taken to court over it. If we start doing that, we'll soon see some of the rubbish we have on our books look to leave

Last edited:

wolvored

Henderson, Williams, Laird, Telles, Bailly, Jones none of them have played a game for us and all feel like a given.

From the loanees, I'd look to sign Sabitzer and let Weghorst go with thanks.

From the actual squad this year,

Maguire is 5th choice centre back and needs to go to protect his international career.
Van De Beek, would have loved if it'd worked out, it hasn't and isn't going to.
De Gea. Legend of the club, but it's time to move on. I suspect we'll give him another contract though.
Martial. Like DvB, it's not working and there's zero suggestion it'll get better. On a massive salary and I don't see a destination, suspect we're stuck for 2 more years. Praying for a miracle.
Elanga - Never really saw the point of him when Ralf brought him into the team.

Sancho is drinking in the last chance salon, but I think we need to give it another year and hope for a Rashford style renaissance .

Lastly and most obviously, Mason Greenwood must be moved on.
I would add mcfred to that list. Neither one is good enough nor consistent enough. We would get a fee for Mctom as well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Excepting Greenwood, this is my favourite post so far. Only thing I would say is that the two CM positions need another backup or two. I also am not sure on the signings for strikers... But given you aren't selling Martial in your post, I guess he'll be a third option.
I'd sell Martial (I forgot to list him mate) . Its pointless to keep an injury prone player especially since he can't be arsed in putting a shift when he's available. Its a waste of money in salaries, it gives the wrong message out to the players and he won't be available when you need him. Regarding Greenwood if we sell him now then we'll get next to nothing for him. That means we're better off loaning him at a club we can trust were they will give him regular football away from the limelight. PSV would be my favourite TBH as the Dutch league is an easy league to play in, its in line to ETH's mentality and Ruud would take care of the boy. In 12 months time we can assess things up. Had Greenwood matured? Has his long absence of football ruined him? Does he deserve a second chance? If the answer is not then we'll be in a better position to sell him.

Loony BoB

I'd be buying in 2x ST, 2x CM, 1x CB, 1x RB. At a push, perhaps a GK. I'm not going to worry about the "who" in this post. I'm just trying to evaluate who we can sell based on what our squad will look like.

GK: I've never been more 50/50 on a keeper staying or going. I do think his incredible drop in form has been partially down to the incredible drop in quality in front of him, he simply doesn't play well with Maguire in particular.
Defence: Maguire goes, Dalot goes. AWB stays. Dalot unlucky but we need a high quality RB and I feel like AWB is the player who has performed better overall this season. Well aware that's a hot topic, and it's a tight call to say who goes but this is who I went with.
Central Midfield: This is tricky because of the age of Casemiro and Eriksen. I just don't think they have the legs. I'd be selling Fred. McT has been really good this season when called upon, but Fred has, a few goals aside, struggled to be consistent. I also get the feeling that ETH simply doesn't care for him at all. McT offers more than Fred, simply put. I don't care how much other clubs are willing to pay, I care about our squad, not theirs.
Attacking Midfield: I group this up as a number of the players can play in more than one of the spots. For me, it'd be Antony, Fernandes, Rashford, Garnacho as guaranteed spots in next year's squad. Sancho and Pellistri would be next. Elanga? Sold.
Strikers: Martial can stay because I want three strikers and it's not realistic to buy three in one window. I also don't want to count Rashford as one of the three strikers, I want him playing wide left when he's on. Rashford should only play ST if Garnacho is wide left. So, two strikers bought. No sales as Weghorst is simply a loan and Ronaldo is already gone.

IN: RB, CB, 2x CM, 2x ST - if we can dare afford more than that, throw in an AMR and another CB. Maybe a GK to replace DDG if we go down that road, too. Oh, and we'll need a 3rd keeper after Butland's loan finishes. I don't count this as a core signing, but worth noting.
OUT: Maguire, Dalot, Fred, Elanga, Henderson, Bailly, Telles, Jones, as well as loanees Butland, Sabitzer, Weghorst. Also anyone else who I might have overlooked that hasn't played for us this season.
Potential sales if we find the funds for even more replacements: Sancho/DDG.

* = potentially replaced, [pos] = new signing
Starting lineup: DDG*, [RB], Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, [CM], Antony, Fernandes, Rashford, [ST].
Backup/Rotation: Heaton, [3rd GK], AWB, Lindelof, [CB], Malacia, [CM], McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Garnacho, Pellistri, Martial, [ST]
Emergency Use: Williams + Youth squad, pretty sure Williams is on peanuts anyway, I feel he's a decent extra player to backup the defence, but if we have a solid youth prospect we can play ahead of him then he can go too.

That makes a 26 man squad after 6 signings. Realistically we can go up to 30, so it allows for a bit of emergency backup and/or additional signings. It's also why you don't also see me saying we should sell everyone who isn't the second coming of Cantona, because quite frankly we need to be realistic: We have not purchased more than four players since 2015/16 (Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger). Even the six signings I've hoped for in this post would be a big change in recent buying history, but I'm counting on a new owner making a difference (optimistic in multiple ways there).

Lee565

Both right backs need to go.

we have been here before with our easily pleased fanbase where a few good performances let's a player off for a fee seasons, bissaka may have had a good spell but that is all he offers and he will always be limited in possession and just need to be ruthless and get rid now whilst his stock has risen slightly because it won't get any better than it is which is not good enough.