Players you would get rid of.

FattyFooty

Neto is going to be class unless his injury hampers his development, it’s the exact type of signing Liverpool would make then elevate them to the next level a bit like Jota and Diaz
Ill admit i havent seen Neto that much, so yeah maybe he will.

On the other hand i lost all belive in Mason at the end.

tjb

If I could somehow find buyers for all the players I'd like to sell:

Keepers:

De Gea - Sell. He is world class at one aspect of goalkeeping, while being amongst the worst in the league at every other single aspect.
Henderson - Sell if we can afford to get another goalkeeper who actually suits what Ten Hag wants amongst all the other things we need. Keep him as #1 for now if we can't. He's not great himself, but he's better than De Gea at communication, control of the box, willingness to play a high line, aerial ability, distribution, etc.
Heaton - Keep him if he's happy to stay as a cheap 3rd choice.
Grant - Release. No point having both he and Heaton on playing contracts. If he actually seems to be a good goalkeeping coach then bring him back in that role.

Defenders:

Shaw - Keep. He has the ability to not only be one of the best in the world, but also the attributes to play a big part in a 'modern' style. Give him one season to show if he can do it, but sell after that if he disappoints again.
Telles - Keep either him or Williams as back-up.
Williams - See above.

AWB - Sell. Incredibly limited player.
Dalot - Keep as cheap back-up.

Maguire - Sell.
Lindelof - Keep as a good 3rd choice.
Varane - Keep and hope that he gets over his injuries and that a run of games allows him to get into form.
Jones - Sell. It's pointless having back-ups who can't stay fit themselves.
Bailly - Sell. See above.

Midfielders:

Pogba - Release.
Matic - Release.
Fred - Keep as either part of the first choice midfield or as the first back-up.
McTominay - Sell if we sign enough midfielders that he's way down the pecking order, keep him as a squad player if we don't. Definitely not in the main 11 anymore though.
VDB - Keep as a bit of a bridge towards ETH's style in the short-term, then make the call on him the following season.

Atackers:

Bruno - Keep and hope that he can be 'tamed' a bit when surrounded with a proper style and players.
Rashford - I want to say 'keep' for one more season and see if he can turn it around under a manager who is (hopefully) moving us in the right direction, but I'm just about out of hope for him. Poor form is one thing, disinterest and laziness is another.
Sancho - Keep.
Greenwood - Release
Martial - Sell.
Lingard - Release.
Mata - Release.
Pereira - Sell.
Elanga - Keep as back-up.
Ronaldo - Completely up to him and ETH to work out. If ETH thinks he can be important either as first choice or as back-up, and if Ronaldo is happy with that, keep him. If not, thank him and sell/release.
Cavani - Release.

So overall, the 15 players I'd definitely sell/release (with a few other borderline cases):

De Gea
Grant
Telles or Williams
AWB
Maguire
Jones
Bailly
Pogba
Matic
Greenwood
Martial
Lingard
Mata
Pereira
Cavani
On Bruno. I think people have this idea that ETH is Pep. He literally played with Ziyech in his teams. Bruno actually fits his style. I don't think Bruno needs to be tamed. I think outside of Ronaldo, he literally has noone to create for. When he came in, he was creating chances through taking risks and moments of magic out of nowhere, because he has had to. He could also depend on Martial or Rashford, even though not perfect, to make decent runs. The team is morally at its worst and Bruno will always try to have an impact in a game, even when off form, so it's more noticeable. However, he isn't costing us games, he's literally the one of the few players we have trying to win us games.

Red00012

It’s easier who I want to keep

DDG
Shaw
Varane
Fred
Fernandes
Sancho
Ronaldo

And any youth players that are breaking through this season /next season

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
On Bruno. I think people have this idea that ETH is Pep. He literally played with Ziyech in his teams. Bruno actually fits his style. I don't think Bruno needs to be tamed. I think outside of Ronaldo, he literally has noone to create for. When he came in, he was creating chances through taking risks and moments of magic out of nowhere, because he has had to. He could also depend on Martial or Rashford, even though not perfect, to make decent runs. The team is morally at its worst and Bruno will always try to have an impact in a game, even when off form, so it's more noticeable. However, he isn't costing us games, he's literally the one of the few players we have trying to win us games.
Bruno cost us last game by missing penalty and then losing the ball for their 3rd goal and was lucky he wasnt sent off. Was constantly losing ball and was hitting wayward passes. Not sure which Bruno you have been watching this season because this is more or less his story this season.

If ETH can get him working then fine but at the moment Bruno is a problem.

mattsville

I can see an extremely chaotic Summer window in and out, you normally would not make so many changes but we are completely fecked as a team so anything goes, I think we took a sensible approach starting with Murtough, Fletcher and Rangnick, Rangnick having experienced what he has done up close and staying in an advisory role was smart to advise ETH, there will be an excessive turnover in players, there are obvious leavers, out of contract players, other wasters, but it is not easy to achieve it all in a single window, we might need to keep some players we want gone just to add numbers, then get rid when the time is right, Rashford is the the prime example of that as we are likely to be down a lot of forward players. I hope we prioritise midfield and attack initially, ingrain an attacking mantra and fix the gaps in future windows. If the the new football management structure is successful, and ETH's system is established, we should be able to sign capable and committed players, lesser knowns to us, for fair prices, this could allow us to bring in more players than usual in a single window, with Pogba and Cavani's wages gone you could potentially sign 2 excellent fits for the new system in whatever position for example without touching your transfer budget.

ole@thewheel

Goalkeepers:
DeGea- Stay
Henderson- If convinced to stay as a backup stay
Heaton- Stay

Central defenders:
Varane- Stay(and project defence around him)
Lindelof- Stay (as Varanes backup)
Maguire- Go if we get 30+ millions out of him (can see Newcastle going for that), if not stay as a backup
Bailly- Go (like him but too much of an injury prone to plan around him)
Jones- Go

Plan of action:
Sign a consistent partner for Varane, on the below at this order :
1. Timber (Ajax)
2. Gvardiol (RBL)
3. Badiashille (Monaco)

Bring back Mengi to cover as replacement for Bailly and also Tuanzebe (if Maguire is sold). I will send Bernard back on loan.

Full backs:
Shaw- Stay
Telles- Go
AWB- Stay (I still think he can improve)
Dalot- Go (if we sign a RB)

Plan of action:
Sign both a LB and RB. Young modern fullback not necessarily designated for first 11. For RB one of Mazraoui/Aarons/Lemptey and maybe Livramento. For LB no really outstanding prospects around that can be realistic for us but we can not go wrong with Theo Hernandez (Milan), Wijndal(AZ) or Di Marco (Inter).

I will bring back Williams if I cant sign any LBs, if I will, I will send him back on loan. I will think about keeping Laird as a backup.

Central midfield:

Fred-Stay
McT- Stay (as a backup) if I sign 3 midfielders go
Pogba-Go
Matic-Go
Bruno-Stay
Mata-Go
Lingard-Go
VBD-Stay (give him a chance)

Plan of action:
Absolute priority!
As a minimum sign a defensive minded MF and a deep central playmaker. Potential candidated
One or two of Rice/Philips/Tchoumameni/Ndidi/ Haidara for DM
one of De Jong/Gravenberch/Fabian Ruiz/Vitinha for CM

Also I will bring back Garner who together with Hannibal will serve as backups. I will not play with AM but if I have to Bruno is good without a cover for now in there.

Wingers

Sancho-Keep
Rashford- Keep (still see him turning it back) will give him one more season
Elanga-Keep
Greenwood- Keep?
Martial-Go
Diallo-Keep
Pelistri-Keep
Chong-Go

Plan of action:
This is tricky as in a first sight we look covered if we have Greenwood back, but we are awfully of form.
I will prioritize of signing a left footed side forward if nothing in here. We need goals and all the other options we have on the right are playmakers.
I will go with one of Rafinha/Anthony in there and keep Diallo/Pellistri/Elanga as backups.
If Rashford continues with bad form plan for a LW the following market.

Striker:
Ronaldo - Stay
Cavani- Go

Plan of action:
I can see Ronaldo leaving to be honest but I will keep him. If he stays I will give captaincy to him and get him involved in installing winning mentality on the team. If we can win something next year as a result it will be one of his biggest accomplishments.
Beside this we are very short on the options on the front, so we need to get at least one big signing in there. Realistic options that would suit the project:
Nunez/Nkunku/Jonathan David/Dembele
If Ronaldo leaves I will go big on Kane (especially if Spurs are out of CHL).
As a wildcard I will sign Richarlison especially if Everton are down in the Championship.

Overall

10 players definitely released or sold
4 players potentially go

6-8 new players signed
25-27 first team players

Perfect situation:

De Gea/Henderson
Timber/Maguire Varane/Lindelof
Mazraoui/AWB Shaw/Theo

Rice/Haidara
Bruno/VDB De Jong/Fred

Rafinha/Elanga Sancho/Rashford

Ronaldo/Nunez

Dreaming!

Last edited:

Jezpeza

i’d enhance The first 11 with funds from saleable assets:

Dalot
Telles
Bailly
Henderson
Tuanzabe
chong
Martial

jones pereira can go. The reason i would choose these and not the likes of maguire shaw etc is because these players have never even been close to being acceptable squad members in terms of quality. Its not a form thing.

use the funds to improve the first 11, then bulk the squad out with youth for now. The likes of williams and laird cant really offer any less than dalot or telles but will help reset the wage structure, will be grateful for their place and try hard.

Last edited:

abkmufc92

Keep

De Gea
Varane
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Ronaldo
Van de Beek (Give him an actual chance to show something)
Elanga
Telles (Only as a backup)
Lindelof (I don't like him but only defender that can stay fit, so keep him as a backup)

Sell the rest

If these lot are still here and starting regularly then god help us

Maguire
Shaw
McTominay
Rashford

Lentwood

All these long lists with explanations. Be easier to point out who I'd keep: Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane, Fred. Possibly Maguire. McTominay and Dalot too purely because their salaries are pocket change and can be used for back up. Get rid of everyone else. Priority given to Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Matic. De Gea is on an absolutely insane salary. For that alone I'd look elsewhere, but we need another better rounded keeper. I wouldn't have offered Bruno a new contract, too.
I do agree that salaries should be a big factor. We need a full reset and that means stopping this culture of handing out huge salaries regardless of whether players perform on the pitch.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Goalkeepers:
DeGea- Stay
Henderson- If convinced to stay as a backup stay
Heaton- Stay

Central defenders:
Varane- Stay(and project defence around him)
Lindelof- Stay (as Varanes backup)
Maguire- Go if we get 30+ millions out of him (can see Newcastle going for that), if not stay as a backup
Bailly- Go (like him but too much of an injury prone to plan around him)
Jones- Go

Plan of action:
Sign a consistent partner for Varane, on the below at this order :
1. Timber (Ajax)
2. Gvardiol (RBL)
3. Badiashille (Monaco)

Bring back Mengi to cover as replacement for Bailly and also Tuanzebe (if Maguire is sold). I will send Bernard back on loan.

Full backs:
Shaw- Stay
Telles- Go
AWB- Stay (I still think he can improve)
Dalot- Go (if we sign a RB)

Plan of action:
Sign both a LB and RB. Young modern fullback not necessarily designated for first 11. For RB one of Mazraoui/Aarons/Lemptey and maybe Livramento. For LB no really outstanding prospects around that can be realistic for us but we can not go wrong with Theo Hernandez (Milan), Wijndal(AZ) or Di Marco (Inter).

I will bring back Williams if I cant sign any LBs, if I will, I will send him back on loan. I will think about keeping Laird as a backup.

Central midfield:

Fred-Stay
McT- Stay (as a backup) if I sign 3 midfielders go
Pogba-Go
Matic-Go
Bruno-Stay
Mata-Go
Lingard-Go
VBD-Stay (give him a chance)

Plan of action:
Absolute priority!
As a minimum sign a defensive minded MF and a deep central playmaker. Potential candidated
One or two of Rice/Philips/Tchoumameni/Ndidi/ Haidara for DM
one of De Jong/Gravenberch/Fabian Ruiz/Vitinha for CM

Also I will bring back Garner who together with Hannibal will serve as backups. I will not play with AM but if I have to Bruno is good without a cover for now in there.

Wingers

Sancho-Keep
Rashford- Keep (still see him turning it back) will give him one more season
Elanga-Keep
Greenwood- Keep?
Martial-Go
Diallo-Keep
Pelistri-Keep
Chong-Go

Plan of action:
This is tricky as in a first sight we look covered if we have Greenwood back, but we are awfully of form.
I will prioritize of signing a left footed side forward if nothing in here. We need goals and all the other options we have on the right are playmakers.
I will go with one of Rafinha/Anthony in there and keep Diallo/Pellistri/Elanga as backups.
If Rashford continues with bad form plan for a LW the following market.

Striker:
Ronaldo - Stay
Cavani- Go

Plan of action:
I can see Ronaldo leaving to be honest but I will keep him. If he stays I will give captaincy to him and get him involved in installing winning mentality on the team. If we can win something next year as a result it will be one of his biggest accomplishments.
Beside this we are very short on the options on the front, so we need to get at least one big signing in there. Realistic options that would suit the project:
Nunez/Nkunku/Jonathan David/Dembele
If Ronaldo leaves I will go big on Kane (especially if Spurs are out of CHL).
As a wildcard I will sign Richarlison especially if Everton are down in the Championship.

Overall

10 players definitely released or sold
4 players potentially go

6-8 new players signed
25-27 first team players

Perfect situation:

De Gea/Henderson
Timber/Maguire Varane/Lindelof
Mazraoui/AWB Shaw/Theo

Rice/Haidara
Bruno/VDB De Jong/Fred

Rafinha/Elanga Sancho/Rashford

Ronaldo/Nunez

Dreaming!
Good post and I agree with most of your analysis.

BigRon1985

If I was ETH my number one priority would be cutting out the toxicity, negativity, leaks and general moaning and whinging from the squad irrespective of ability.

Therefore Pogba, Rashford, Lingard, Shaw, Henderson, Bailly, Martial - bye bye!

Matic, Mata, Cavani and sadly Ronaldo - too old, gone!

Maguire, McTominay, Wan-Bissaka - not good enough, see ya!

The rest I'd put on probation.........

Shark

@NotShark
I would get rid of the following, madness that some of them are actually still here.

Rashford
Lingard
Pogba
AWB
Maguire
Jones
Mata
Bailly
Henderson
Martial
Cavani

Players who could still make good/decent squad players under ETH

Mctomminay
Shaw
Fred
Lindelof
Telles
Elanga
Dalot

Players who I'd crucially keep

Varane
Ronaldo
Sancho
De Gea
Bruno by default

Last edited:

JB7

Seeing lots of posts about how the goalkeeper being an issue that needs looking at but not immediately and I couldn't disagree more. You listen to any top manager and their first task coming into a club is building a way of playing, and that is usually built from the back, look at Klopp and Guardiola, both of whom are heralded for their attacking football but both went into their clubs and in their first summer transfer window signed a new goalkeeper and a new centre back. In both cases the first goalkeeper didn't work out, so they signed another one, but we are in the same situation with De Gea that they walked into, perhaps more extreme if anything. We have a goalkeeper who is a good shot stopper but is dreadful at every other aspect of his job and frankly, you do not get away with playing offensive, high-line football with a goalkeeper who doesn't sweep, deal with balls into the box or distribute the ball well. I'd be very surprised if Ten Han continues with De Gea next season, the fact that his reputation has been somewhat restored this season may mean he's suddenly a saleable asset again despite his wage - that said, I don't see any club likely to afford his wages being interested in him due to his incredibly limited skillset, so it would be a shock if he did get a decent move. In reality, we'll probably just see him being an incredibly expensive reserve goalkeeper.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I do not really care about single players at the moment, all I hope is that ETH plus a real sporting director (Rangnick for example) get the full power on who should stay/play or go.
He is the expert and should get a concrete picture of who he can trust and should be part of his plans and who not.

mikeyt

Get rid of most to be honest. Definite's to go for me, including those we know are leaving would be...

De Gea
Maguire
Telles
Bailly
Jones
Matic
Lingard
Pogba
Cavani
Mata
Andreas
Martial

Outside of that I'm on the fence with Rashford as I think he genuinely needs a move, also I wouldn't be unhappy to see one of the RB's shipped out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Out of contract:

Pogba
Lingard
Matic
Mata
Cavani

Would personally sell:

Maguire
Jones
Tuanzebe
Telles
Dalot
Bruno
Martial
McTominay

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Bailly
Telles
Mata
Pogba
Cavani
Matic
Jones
Martial
Lingard
Wan-Bissaka
Pereira

-----------

I think that is enough for year 1. Maguire I would like to see gone as well as a matter of urgency but that is probably not realistic.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Keep -

Ronaldo
Bruno
Sancho
Varane
De gea

Back ups -

Fred
Dalot
lindalof
Elanga

Sell -

Everyone else.

Trequartistry

Not sure how people want to keep de Gea. Very average goalkeeper on absolutely massive wages

OP also said Varane world class, what’s that based on? a few UCL’s many years ago. Not anymore mate

I’d get rid of obviously all players with expiring contracts + Bailly Jones Telles Rashford

Seen Shaw’s name a few times, he’s easily one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world not sure why people would want to get rid. He’s in a very high percentile for xA, shot creating actions and just progressive passes and dribbles

Tony247

Bruno has regressed this season. He keeps crossing and hoofing the ball match after match to no end product. This is anti playmaker game. I don't believe Ralf has given him instructions to do so and I don't know if he is the one not following the instructions. God knows what's going on. But if at all Bruno refused to learn and didn't follow instructions and yet he was given a new contract under Ralf's nose then the club is forgotten cause.

I hope I am wrong.

Rojofiam

Based on the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons + players' ages, I'm keeping these players at all costs if I'm ETH:

Varane
Lindelöf
Maguire
Shaw
McTominay
Fernandes
Sancho
Elanga

Maybe Rashford. Also Lingard could play a part I guess, I can see him being suited to the new manager's style of football.

Matic, Pogba, Cavani and Mata are all 100% leaving, which is great news.

Everyone else can go if we can get replacements for them (not that those 8-9 players I listed are irreplaceable, just wouldn't make sense to try selling them imo)

Also, I rate Maguire but would definitely ask him to pass the captaincy onto Fernandes or someone else, he's not suited for that.

haru krentz

I will divide players into 3 categories:
#Rotten apples and free loaders need to discard ASAP
- Lingard
- Pogba
- Martial
- Jones
- Baily
- Cavani
#So we can fetch some money
- Deano (young goalie with good prospect ahead but wasting his time and potential at our bench)
- Dallot (average full back, we might be able to recoup some of our money if we sold him this summer)
- Telles (average full back, we might be able to recoup some of our money if we sold him this summer)
- Rashford (Newcastle Saudi might need a new face for their project, who is better than Rashford?)
- VDB (get your boy back with 50% discount, Ajax!)
#Respectfully released
- Mata
- Matic
- Grant

But what i really want the most is for ETH to assess our youngsters like Amad, Pellestri, Garner, Chong, Hannibal, and Garnacho, see if there's a place for them in the squad next season and when i said a place i mean proper playing time so they just dont rot on the bench like Deano or Williams.

Bestietom

Yes, especially Garner I have high hopes for. Would be great if he could act as a squad player, since we will be paper thin in midfield with Pogba and Matic leaving (pending transfers obviously).
Yes, but I would expect Ten Hag to bring in a couple of players in this area.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wouldn't bat an eyelid if the following left:

Henderson
Heaton
Grant
AWB
Dalot
Bailly
Jones
Telles
Matic
Pogba
Mata
Lingard
Martial
Cavani
Williams
Pellistri
Amad
Tuanzebe
Pereira

Could stomach them leaving but would be a bit of regret/last bit of hope it could work out/could understand:

Rashford
de Gea
Maguire
DVB
Ronaldo
McTominay

Would like to keep:

Varane
Lindelof
Shaw
Fred
Bruno