Playing COVID-19 Chicken - which clubs go bust first?

Marcus

If fans are not allowed back into stadiums this season, which clubs are most likely to go bust first? Hopefully Dortmund.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If fans are not allowed back into stadiums this season, which clubs are most likely to go bust first? Hopefully Dortmund.
It would be terrible if BVB went bust, despite them driving a hard bargain with Sancho I think they're really good for football. They have great fans and culture around football.

I wish clubs like PSG, City and any RB team would feck off.

Marcus

It would be terrible if BVB went bust, despite them driving a hard bargain with Sancho I think they're really good for football. They have great fans and culture around football.

Haha yeah I am kidding. Agree about the teams you mentioned. Maybe Chelsea too! They are doing a Leeds I tell you. I am not sure if Roman can disguise his support to comply with FFP.

Robertd0803

Liverpool hopefully. West Ham and Sunderland wouldnt be missed.

But thats just my own dislike/detest of those clubs, in an ideal world you dont want to see any football club go bust because its the regular staff will suffer the most and people losing their jobs is a horrible situation to be in.

I have no doubt clubs will find themselves in serious trouble soon and it might even be a surprise as to who.

RoyH1

I think the likes of PSG and City are actually the ones that are least vulnerable. The sale of oil and natural gas keeps on going and Qatar and the Emirates are still embarked on their advertising campaign through sports.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder how teams like Sunderland survive. They had a debt that was in the top 10 of biggest debts, they’re far too big for league 1 and I’m sure they pay good wages for that league. Without fans they’ll be in huge trouble

Marcus

Poor taste thread.
I guess the point I was making is, it makes sense to be financially prudent especially now. But some clubs are clearly gambling and it may not end well for them. For me, I want United to be financially prudent. We don't have state funds or a sugar-daddy fund to fall back on. So, keeping the powder dry for 1 season can reap rewards multiple times when other clubs become more desparate. I don't want any teams to go bust of course. Just having a bit of fun with Dortmund because they are also gambling in not selling Sancho. Good luck with James by the way. Seems a great player, but just a bit lacking in pace.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
All professional clubs will have severe financial problems, clubs have lots of fixed liabilities that they can't reduce quickly.

If income drops substantially, as it will do all clubs will start losing bucket loads of money until they can reduce costs to match whatever income falls to. Valencia suggested revenue could fall 50% or so. That is what clubs should be planning for whilst hoping it doesn't get that bad.

Marcus

All professional clubs will have severe financial problems, clubs have lots of fixed liabilities that they can't reduce quickly.

If income drops substantially, as it will do all clubs will start losing bucket loads of money until they can reduce costs to match whatever income falls to. Valencia suggested revenue could fall 50% or so. That is what clubs should be planning for whilst hoping it doesn't get that bad.
In the end, I just hope that a proper vaccine is available to all and things can get back to normal.

Irrational.

I reckon it'll be a recently relegated small town club who will struggle without any TV money and the loss of gate income. Like Huddersfield.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I wouldn't wish ill to any club.

Aside from Dortmund.

But rest easy, even if they go bust, they will release a lot of statements to make sure their fans are happy. The only club that could have it without causing stress to the fans, in my opinion.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
It will be clubs in League 1 and 2 that go first, clubs with proud traditions and histories, loyal supporters and strong links to the community in many cases. I imagine this thread might have been created in jest to have a bit of fun imagining a Liverpool or a Dortmund going bust but the reality is we are standing on the precipice of a major destructive change to footballing landscape in England. For me it is an absolute tragedy that we are facing the potential loss of clubs that I have seen many times over the years of following a lower league team. Even worse if the Premier League clubs try to take advantage of the situation to try to insert B Teams into the league pyramid - that would seriously test my love of the sport. I hope that those with do the right thing and give a little more to those without to stave off any major destruction of our unique footballing landscape that some seem to take for granted or just don't care about football outside the razzmatazz of the Premier League/Champions League...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It will be clubs in League 1 and 2 that go first, clubs with proud traditions and histories, loyal supporters and strong links to the community in many cases. I imagine this thread might have been created in jest to have a bit of fun imagining a Liverpool or a Dortmund going bust but the reality is we are standing on the precipice of a major destructive change to footballing landscape in England. For me it is an absolute tragedy that we are facing the potential loss of clubs that I have seen many times over the years of following a lower league team. Even worse if the Premier League clubs try to take advantage of the situation to try to insert B Teams into the league pyramid - that would seriously test my love of the sport. I hope that those with do the right thing and give a little more to those without to stave off any major destruction of our unique footballing landscape that some seem to take for granted or just don't care about football outside the razzmatazz of the Premier League/Champions League...
I grew up in Northwich so can empathise with a small town losing a big part of their history and a club that was once embedded in the football league. A club going bust, whilst tragic at a local level, does provide an opportunity for another to take their place.

The current and historic occupants of the top four divisions don’t have any inherent right to be there. The English football pyramid has incredible depth and there’s plenty of clubs who would love to have the opportunity to take their place should their fortunes offer it.

Blackwidow

Dortmund can bargain hard because they are pretty well off despite the Corona virus.

About the whole topic - Only thinking about less money with ticket receipts is not enough. There will be less money in the market because of less money from marketing and sponsoring, too.

DavidDeSchmikes

Oldham or Southend. Both teams have got financial troubles, plus Oldham are run by a former football agent (who has been through 7 managers since 2018). To be honest there is a few clubs with financial concerns in the Championship.
Worrying times ahead

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Small football clubs in trouble will be replaced by those that kept salaries and transfer fees under control.

Football is an extremely robust industry. Wages and transfer fees may decrease without affecting the number of games/competitors/players (quantity) or the quality.