Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Graphics wise, yes, we're probably due another gen, though we were due another gen long before the PS4 came out and PS3 came out etc. etc. too. My only point is that the further you go in a console's lifecycle the better the games you get. So I don't want a new gen console yet! :)
Yeah it's a fair point. Notoriously absolute guff that's released straight off the bat.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
PS5 wil be announced next year, then released in 2020 imo. Graphically we really don't need one, the games that are coming out now are absolutely gorgeous and show no signs of age or being outdated, or anything like that. I'm certainly in no rush for a new generation as there's still a few great games to look forward in this one.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With regards to PS5 how do they significantly upgrade the hardware without making it too expensive?

They will most likely have to compromise on one or release an enhanced version like the PS4 Pro a few years later.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You only don't think there's a graphical upgrade to be had because you are used to just how behind the actual curve the PS4/XBone were. I mean they even released upgrades ffs.

I'm all for wallet vs hardware and all that, but they were basically mid-level at best at the time of release and the cpus were multimedia trash. The next wave will probably be along the same lines, but I'll bet good money anyone who says graphics can't really move on much are the first to be wow'd by the early demos and bullshots :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
You only don't think there's a graphical upgrade to be had because you are used to just how behind the actual curve the PS4/XBone were. I mean they even released upgrades ffs.

I'm all for wallet vs hardware and all that, but they were basically mid-level at best at the time of release and the cpus were multimedia trash. The next wave will probably be along the same lines, but I'll bet good money anyone who says graphics can't really move on much are the first to be wow'd by the early demos and bullshots :lol:
Games like The Last Of Us and Uncharted on the PS4 say otherwise though. They still look breathtaking even by PC’s highest standards.

Redlambs

Games like The Last Of Us and Uncharted on the PS4 say otherwise though. They still look breathtaking even by PC’s highest standards.
No, not at all. Even if you overlook the compromises, the console generation dictates the graphical standard these days. The PS4/Xbone were mid-level PC at best on release and that was how many years ago? This isn't about PC masterrace and all that shite either, you need to understand that games make most money on console and are tailored to them, which is fine and fair. But to suggest either of them were actually even graphical beasts for their early days let alone now are so far off the mark, and to suggest there's not really need for improvement is just daft.

But hey, don't take my word for it, wait until you start getting glimpses of the next gen and closer to proper 4k which should have been years ago.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
No, not at all. Even if you overlook the compromises, the console generation dictates the graphical standard these days. The PS4/Xbone were mid-level PC at best on release and that was how many years ago? This isn't about PC masterrace and all that shite either, you need to understand that games make most money on console and are tailored to them, which is fine and fair. But to suggest either of them were actually even graphical beasts for their early days let alone now are so far off the mark, and to suggest there's not really need for improvement is just daft.

But hey, don't take my word for it, wait until you start getting glimpses of the next gen and closer to proper 4k which should have been years ago.
I remember when TLOU came out on the PS3, plenty of people said they couldn't imagine games being better looking than it and wondering how the next gen could improve anything. Now it looks ancient compared to the likes of HZD and GoW.

So yeah, of course graphics can improve. As you've said, the PS4 has a mid range gfx card by 2013 standards, so even a new console with a mid range by 2020 standards should shite all over it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I look at the latest tentpole games and wonder why we would even need a next gen console just yet. The only thing that makes me want more power is VR, and for VR you'd need a decent jump in power, features and hardware so why rush it and make us have to pay big money for a small upgrade. 2020+ would be ideal for me personally.

Redlambs

I remember when TLOU came out on the PS3, plenty of people said they couldn't imagine games being better looking than it and wondering how the next gen could improve anything. Now it looks ancient compared to the likes of HZD and GoW.

So yeah, of course graphics can improve. As you've said, the PS4 has a mid range gfx card by 2013 standards, so even a new console with a mid range by 2020 standards should shite all over it.
Exactly my point. People always do this though, don't they? Then when the next machines come out and aren't even as powerful as today's standard, they'll still drool ;)

I look at the latest tentpole games and wonder why we would even need a next gen console just yet. The only thing that makes me want more power is VR, and for VR you'd need a decent jump in power, features and hardware so why rush it and make us have to pay big money for a small upgrade. 2020+ would be ideal for me personally.
More power will push better graphics. The problem is whether we will still get the stagnant a.i/physics shite we get these days (which people seem not to care about anymore, which is very sad).

VR and it's future is still very much up in the air, it's not the power but the accessibility in thay regard.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
Some advice here please. No doubt this has been discussed multiple times in this thread, so excuse me for my lack of originality.

I have a PS4 which I use infrequently. Uncharted 4 was the last game I played and I'm really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2. Considering that I have a 4k tv and am planning on buying a 65" OLED once prices drop even further, is it worth it to upgrade to a Pro? Or maybe getting the Xbox X makes more sense because what's the point of owning the PS4 twice?

Buying a new console means delaying purchasing a new tv. On the other hand it would be a shame to own such a tv without using the best console available to make the most of it's capabilities.

I am not dissatisfied with the way the games that I've played look, and having never seen the Pro in action I don't know what I'm missing either. Which is why I'm not totally convinced on te need to upgrade.

My question to those who've played both versions. Do you find the difference in graphics quality sufficient enough to justify purchasing an upgrade, or is it wiser to wait for the PS 5?

Adam-Utd

Some advice here please. No doubt this has been discussed multiple times in this thread, so excuse me for my lack of originality.

I have a PS4 which I use infrequently. Uncharted 4 was the last game I played and I'm really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2. Considering that I have a 4k tv and am planning on buying a 65" OLED once prices drop even further, is it worth it to upgrade to a Pro? Or maybe getting the Xbox X makes more sense because what's the point of owning the PS4 twice?

Buying a new console means delaying purchasing a new tv. On the other hand it would be a shame to own such a tv without using the best console available to make the most of it's capabilities.

I am not dissatisfied with the way the games that I've played look, and having never seen the Pro in action I don't know what I'm missing either. Which is why I'm not totally convinced on te need to upgrade.

My question to those who've played both versions. Do you find the difference in graphics quality sufficient enough to justify purchasing an upgrade, or is it wiser to wait for the PS 5?
Yes. You won't even be using the "4k" of the TV without the PS4 Pro, so it's pointless having 1, you need both together.

I'd say get the pro first, then the TV after if you can't afford both.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
Yes. You won't even be using the "4k" of the TV without the PS4 Pro, so it's pointless having 1, you need both together.

I'd say get the pro first, then the TV after if you can't afford both.
A chain store in my country are offering a €170 discount for trading in the 500GB PS4 when purchasing a PS4 Pro including RDR2. €269 is the remaining amount I'll have to pay. Considering the cost of the game itself plus the fact I won't have to buy an external hard drive to expand the storage space (for the time being) means the extra cost of a better console isn't really that much.

I'll wait for black friday next month to see if there are any good deals for a 65" OLED.

Adam-Utd

A chain store in my country are offering a €170 discount for trading in the 500GB PS4 when purchasing a PS4 Pro including RDR2. €269 is the remaining amount I'll have to pay. Considering the cost of the game itself plus the fact I won't have to buy an external hard drive to expand the storage space (for the time being) means the extra cost of a better console isn't really that much.

I'll wait for black friday next month to see if there are any good deals for a 65" OLED.
Sounds like a good plan, there will definitely be discounts for the TV. I got my own 55" LG OLED tv this time last year and it had like £250 knocked off.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
With regards to PS5 how do they significantly upgrade the hardware without making it too expensive?

They will most likely have to compromise on one or release an enhanced version like the PS4 Pro a few years later.
That's the question. Neither Microsoft nor Sony are going to make the mistake of bringing out the next gen console at above £350 given what happened to the PS3 and Xbox One at launch.

But an Xbox One X currently costs £400 from Game (with Red Dead and Forza) and the PS4 Pro costs £350 (with Red Dead).

Both 4K consoles need to come by about £100 before the launch of the new consoles. But if they're fully backwards compatible with similar visual upgrades, then they need to come down even further than that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm not gonna get this. Old PlayStation games just don't hold up. They look ugly as hell. Compare this with the Super Nintendo that came out last year, and those game really do still hold up. Not just in terms of the gameplay, but the art style of those games still have a charm that PlayStation 1 games just don't have.

muller

Put a mini console with Poy Poy 1 and 2 on it, and rollcage.. then i'll hand my money over.. Wish they brought poy poy out on an emulator or something.

Marksy7

I'm thinking off getting a 2nd PS4 for my son for Christmas, problem being is I've already purchased Minecraft on my primary PS4. Is it possible to give him access to all my PS PLUS content on the 2nd console while I still use the primary console. If someone here has the answer please help I've been reading online and just can't get my head around it I've looked at it that much and people post different opinions

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm thinking off getting a 2nd PS4 for my son for Christmas, problem being is I've already purchased Minecraft on my primary PS4. Is it possible to give him access to all my PS PLUS content on the 2nd console while I still use the primary console. If someone here has the answer please help I've been reading online and just can't get my head around it I've looked at it that much and people post different opinions
Yeah its possible, you just have to activate the PS4 your son will be using as the primary one, you can only run multiple accounts that have access to the main account holder's games from the primary PS4.

One downside though is that you cant use Netflix on the secondary PS4 so if you can only access Netflix via PS4 that'll present a problem.

Marksy7

Yeah its possible, you just have to activate the PS4 your son will be using as the primary one, you can only run multiple accounts that have access to the main account holder's games from the primary PS4.

One downside though is that you cant use Netflix on the secondary PS4 so if you can only access Netflix via PS4 that'll present a problem.
I have Netflix on the TV so that shouldn't be a problem. Does that include both consoles using the same PS plus then?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I have Netflix on the TV so that shouldn't be a problem. Does that include both consoles using the same PS plus then?
Yeah, I have the PS4 in our bedroom using two accounts and on my wife's account it shows the PS Plus icon even though only I have the subscription.

It was a little fidgety to set up initially as you might have to restore the licences for any games you put on the second PS4 other wise they're locked, I also had to do that a few times on the other one but its a simple process and its been running smoothly since.

to restore licences it's just Settings > Account Management > Restore Licences.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
My PS4 Pro sounds like a tractor. Tried to pop the top of it open to clean the fan but I managed to only partly open it. How difficult/easy is it to open full console and clean it? Or should I just leave it to people who know their stuff and bring it to a shop?

Marksy7

My PS4 Pro sounds like a tractor. Tried to pop the top of it open to clean the fan but I managed to only partly open it. How difficult/easy is it to open full console and clean it? Or should I just leave it to people who know their stuff and bring it to a shop?
I've opened my Pro a few times but just the top section and used canned air to clean fan and vents but it's as bad as ever in no time

Sarni

Only for a day or 2, it's ridiculous, it's not even like my console is covered it's out on top well ventilated. Even now I can hear it throughout my house
I have the same issue. I have to turn volume up to very high when playing games like RDR or NBA which cause the fan to go crazy. It’s fine if I’m using light apps like Netflix but as far as gaming goes it’s unbearable.

el3mel

Finally got a chance to play Spider-Man yesterday. Magnificent game, I'm having a blast.

Sarni

Finally got a chance to play Spider-Man yesterday. Magnificent game, I'm having a blast.
I've liked it too but somehow I lost interest ahead of final chapter. I will no doubt finish it but it all felt a bit too samey towards the end.

el3mel

I've liked it too but somehow I lost interest ahead of final chapter. I will no doubt finish it but it all felt a bit too samey towards the end.
I'm just about to start the first Black Cat mission. So far the story is nothing special but gameplay is magnificent and they got all elements that make a great Spidey game spot on.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m playing Bulletstorm as it’s free on PS+ at the moment and it’s exactly the sort of feckery I need after red dead :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
FYI, in case you're in a part of the world where gifts are a thing right now, there was a new version of the PS4 Pro that alleviated some of the noise complaints. You can only be assured that version if you get the RDR2 bundle until old stock is replaced for the time being.

Look for a serial number of blahblahblah7200+. 7000 is the original Pro, 7100 is the special anniversary edition, 7200 is the most recent one.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Sony skipping E3 could be a hint of when the PS5 will be released; most likely in 2020. I expect them to either have a huge blowout at PSX 2019 or perhaps save it all for E3 2019. Them not going to E3 is pretty big news, but not all that surprising. I think it's been coming for a while and probably signal the end of E3 as we currently know it.

Disappointing though as i used to look forward to it, and Sony's event in particular. There again, if they plan on having their own huge event then that could be great.