Gaming PlayStation 5

Ollie Derbyshire

Tomb Raider games might be up your alley.
Dragon Age 3 & The Witcher 3 a bit less so, but if your kids are into fantasy settings then they might be worht a look.

I also recommend the soulsborne games, but since you guys are playing on turns it might become hard to find a good rhythm.
Ah yeah I knew I’d forgotten something, we’ve done the Tomb Raider games. Playing the Witcher now with my wife, enjoying that, reminds me of AC Valhalla.
Going to get Elden Ring when that’s out. Should be fun.

Castia

In stock at Currys again if you buy 2 games (Ratchet/Spider-Man) and a headset

They’ve been in stock a lot the past week I guess the scalpers cba buying the bundle.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
In stock at Currys again if you buy 2 games (Ratchet/Spider-Man) and a headset

They’ve been in stock a lot the past week I guess the scalpers cba buying the bundle.
Its what I brought.
The headset is shit though. :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ok, so I've decided to bite the bullet and get one of these from a scalper at a premium, so I can get the most out of it during winter. I want to start with an open world type game like the The Witcher 3, Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption 2. I realize these are all older games, but I've heard good things about them. Any recommendations among those three, or other options I should look at?
Well, if you haven't played Metal Gear Solid V that game gives you a great amount of freedom to tackle enemies the way you want. It takes a little bit of time for you to get into the open-world area, but once you do it's an incredible game. The gameplay is excellent.

Then you have Horizon: Zero Dawn which is a PlayStation exclusive (well, it's on PC now as well, but console exclusive then) which is a fun world to traverse. Looks great, too.

That's two games I would pick if you haven't already played them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ok, so I've decided to bite the bullet and get one of these from a scalper at a premium, so I can get the most out of it during winter. I want to start with an open world type game like the The Witcher 3, Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption 2. I realize these are all older games, but I've heard good things about them. Any recommendations among those three, or other options I should look at?
Death Stranding.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Witcher and RDR2 are musts.

Witcher is a steal at £6.99 on the store for the GOTY edition and hours and hours of fun.

I ended up quite enjoying assassin's creed Valhalla and that has a ps5 update for extra sexyness. It took me a while to get into as I hated the combat at first. It does drag on a bit but it's definitely value for money, the hours you can get out of it is great.

I'm trying to hold out for a Witcher 3 upgrade for ps5 but I am itching for another playthrough myself.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There’s a PS5 update for the Witcher 3 coming out in 2022, so perhaps hold off on that one if you’d prefer the updated version.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just started GOTG, finished chapter 1, seems like a decent game so far, fun script and story but unsure how long the combat will be fun for. Liking it so far though and can see why people like it to uncharted.

DanH

I managed to pick up a PS5 just before Christmas. It was a bit of an impulse buy as I'd got the Xbox series X earlier in the year.

First impressions are good. I really like the controller; it's a clear step up on the Xbox control. I picked up Ratchet & Clank and Returnal with it. Not played Returnal yet as I want to finish Halo 5 and Mass Effect 1 before taking on another shooter, but Ratchet & Clank is fab, a real visual treat.

I'm thinking of grabbing another couple of games in the sale. Deathloop seems quite highly rated? I wonder if it is worth getting Cyberpunk at £20 or if I might be better off playing that on the series X/Stadia. Does anything stand out in the sale to pick up? One other thing is; I bought but never played Spiderman on the PS4. I'm going to give it a run-through before getting Miles Morales, but is there any free way to get the ps5 version of the game? I don't fancy shelling out for the improvements.

Thanks for any answers.

Ainu

Just started GOTG, finished chapter 1, seems like a decent game so far, fun script and story but unsure how long the combat will be fun for. Liking it so far though and can see why people like it to uncharted.
I just finished that yesterday. It's fun with some great characters but I grew tired of the combat by the halfway point or something. It gets pretty tedious, which is a shame as the game was surprisingly good otherwise.

Started Kena: Bridge of Spirits today and I'm currently on the Corrupt Taro boss fight, which is absolutely kicking my arse. This boss is legit Bloodborne hard, and that's on normal, there are two whole levels above this. It may look nice and fluffy but damn, this game is no joke.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I just finished that yesterday. It's fun with some great characters but I grew tired of the combat by the halfway point or something. It gets pretty tedious, which is a shame as the game was surprisingly good otherwise.

Started Kena: Bridge of Spirits today and I'm currently on the Corrupt Taro boss fight, which is absolutely kicking my arse. This boss is legit Bloodborne hard, and that's on normal, there are two whole levels above this. It may look nice and fluffy but damn, this game is no joke.
Corrupt Taro is a bastard! He was a massive shock to me too as the game wasn’t that tough until then. He was a weird difficultly spike though cause he was easily the hardest boss until the very last boss. The others after him are still tough but more kill them in three or four goes and not 20 goes.

Is he really Bloodborne hard though? Cause I did enjoy the challenge. Maybe I need to try Bloodborne again! It felt absolutely impossible first time I tried it.

Ainu

Corrupt Taro is a bastard! He was a massive shock to me too as the game wasn’t that tough until then. He was a weird difficultly spike though cause he was easily the hardest boss until the very last boss. The others after him are still tough but more kill them in three or four goes and not 20 goes.

Is he really Bloodborne hard though? Cause I did enjoy the challenge. Maybe I need to try Bloodborne again! It felt absolutely impossible first time I tried it.
Honestly, yes. I've had another 10 or so failed attempts since that post, so I've now already had more attempts on him than any base game Bloodborne boss (chalices not included). He might actually be Bloodborne DLC difficulty for me at this point. :lol: I might just need to stop trying to parry everything, it doesn't seem like a viable strategy anymore.

Massive Spanner

Honestly, yes. I've had another 10 or so failed attempts since that post, so I've now already had more attempts on him than any base game Bloodborne boss (chalices not included). He might actually be Bloodborne DLC difficulty for me at this point. :lol: I might just need to stop trying to parry everything, it doesn't seem like a viable strategy anymore.
I didn’t parry much at all in Kena. I thought the mechanic itself was quite inconsistent. Dodging is generally the far better option. Oh and make sure you’ve unlocked that strong attack with the rot, can’t remember it but it can take a LOT of his health if used right

Ainu

All right, got the bastard down, that was something. The fight was actually pretty good, just unexpectedly hard. I guess it's not necessarily the mechanics of the fight itself that make it so hard, just the insane damage he does and how limited your healing resources are.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I managed to pick up a PS5 just before Christmas. It was a bit of an impulse buy as I'd got the Xbox series X earlier in the year.

First impressions are good. I really like the controller; it's a clear step up on the Xbox control. I picked up Ratchet & Clank and Returnal with it. Not played Returnal yet as I want to finish Halo 5 and Mass Effect 1 before taking on another shooter, but Ratchet & Clank is fab, a real visual treat.

I'm thinking of grabbing another couple of games in the sale. Deathloop seems quite highly rated? I wonder if it is worth getting Cyberpunk at £20 or if I might be better off playing that on the series X/Stadia. Does anything stand out in the sale to pick up? One other thing is; I bought but never played Spiderman on the PS4. I'm going to give it a run-through before getting Miles Morales, but is there any free way to get the ps5 version of the game? I don't fancy shelling out for the improvements.

Thanks for any answers.
Cyberpunk I would just wait until they've fully patched (which could be a while, granted). They are working on an upgrade for PS5/XSX so you're likely to have a better experience with it if you wait.

As far as I'm aware there is no free way to upgrade your PS4 version of Spiderman to the PS5 version (shit from Sony).

Returnal is the best game on the system so far for me, and there are rumours of some DLC being announced soon.

DanH

Cyberpunk I would just wait until they've fully patched (which could be a while, granted). They are working on an upgrade for PS5/XSX so you're likely to have a better experience with it if you wait.

As far as I'm aware there is no free way to upgrade your PS4 version of Spiderman to the PS5 version (shit from Sony).

Returnal is the best game on the system so far for me, and there are rumours of some DLC being announced soon.
Thank you. I might wait on Cyberpunk as you suggested. I've got a lot to get through anyway. I'm too cheap to pay out for the ps5 Spiderman, but I will run through the standard version next and then sink some time into Returnal.

Bosws87

You will never have a good experience with cyberpunk its crap.

Just remember the witcher and how great cdprojekt were and don't sour it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Still no platinum...

rotherham_red

Thanks for any answers.
Wouldn't bother with Deathloop, it'll eventually get on to Game Pass as it's a Bethesda game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We have a family gaming night every Saturday, kids are 15 & 13, we’ve played all the Unchartered, Latest 2 Gods of War, Last of Us 1 & 2, Days Gone & AC Valhalla. Playing COD Vanguard now which is good. We’ve tried RDR2 but it was a bit slow to get into.

Anyone recommend any games like these? I’ve tried to get them into Horizon Zero Dawn twice but they aren’t biting.

My wife just surprised me with a PS5 so need some new games.
It Takes Two, if you want something a little lighter. It actually does take two, though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It Takes Two, if you want something a little lighter. It actually does take two, though.
You say lighter, thought the beginning with the parents problems was a bit on the nose, it's good to feature that but it probably hits differently depending on how you can relate to it. Is there a lot more of that? Or is it all about the teamwork now?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You get so defensive about Cyberpunk every time someone criticizes it. We get it, you like it, most don't.
But that’s not true. Most people like it but pick it for its technical faults which is fair. Pretending people shouldn’t play it at all though is disingenuous, they do some things very very well.

b82REZ

But that’s not true. Most people like it but pick it for its technical faults which is fair. Pretending people shouldn’t play it at all though is disingenuous, they do some things very very well.
Most people recognise it as a generic game, with a well designed world, albeit an extremely shallow one.

The gameplay is one note and boring, and the bugs certainly don't help. But to make out the game is only criticised for its bugs is disingenuous. It's a game with next gen graphics with gameplay from two gens ago.

Massive Spanner

User reviews on almost every site are very average so I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. And the overwhelming consensus on the Caf has been largely negative. It's not the game we were promised by CDPR. You enjoyed it, that's fine, but your weird obsession with constantly calling out people who didn't and claiming they are wrong is so tiresome and old.

TrustInJanuzaj

User reviews on almost every site are very average so I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. And the overwhelming consensus on the Caf has been largely negative. It's not the game we were promised by CDPR. You enjoyed it, that's fine, but your weird obsession with constantly calling out people who didn't and claiming they are wrong is so tiresome and old.
The vast majority of critical reviews are very positive and the overall reception on PC has been good. I still think most of the negative reaction is based on the bugs rather than the actual game. I mean you’ll see loads of people in here praising Ghost of Tsushima but even in a buggy state, Cyberpunk is levels above that.

Massive Spanner

The vast majority of critical reviews are very positive and the overall reception on PC has been good. I still think most of the negative reaction is based on the bugs rather than the actual game. I mean you’ll see loads of people in here praising Ghost of Tsushima but even in a buggy state, Cyberpunk is levels above that.
Nope, it's not true. The PC version, which is by far the least buggy, has average reviews too. Again you keep going with the "it's definitely better than this and better than you say it is because that's my opinion so you're wrong". Who are you to tell people they're wrong for preferring GoT? At least that was released exactly like Sucker punch said it would be.

Well there’s many in here saying the world is bland etc. There’s lore stuffed around every corner and it’s all very interesting. You can build your character as you want like all RPGs. Personally I think of this version of the game released tomorrow but without the bugs, many of those saying it’s boring would change their tunes.
Just to go against some of the negative comments, I have continued progressing the story and its absolutely gripping. On top of that, some of the side characters you meet are some the best I've ever encountered and they branch off into some fantastic and memorable side quests that for me rival anything The Witcher delivered.
It's really not though. I get that it has major issues but honestly which game doesn't?
I don’t think so. The lore and world in this are absolutely brilliant.
Hell, you even called people wrong for saying they didn't think the game would deliver on the hype before it came out!
You’ll be wrong.
It's honestly like you feel like you have to defend the game to justify the fact that you liked it when loads of other people didn't, it's fecking weird man. It's nice that you enjoyed it but that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to think it wasn't good.

TrustInJanuzaj

Most people recognise it as a generic game, with a well designed world, albeit an extremely shallow one.

The gameplay is one note and boring, and the bugs certainly don't help. But to make out the game is only criticised for its bugs is disingenuous. It's a game with next gen graphics with gameplay from two gens ago.
If certainly could use some additional content and another year or two of bug fixes I wouldn’t argue agaisnt that. At its core though it’s a really fun game and those that have played it on PC seem to largely like it. I still think down the line if they add some DLC this will have a resurgence as the world is incredible and the writing/main story is very good, all be it a little short. Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion on it I just don’t agree with brushing people away from every trying it. Think it makes more reasonable sense to say try it as a GOTY edition in a year or two.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
:lol:

I like this post a lot!

TrustInJanuzaj

Nope, it's not true. The PC version, which is by far the least buggy, has average reviews too. Again you keep going with the "it's definitely better than this and better than you say it is because that's my opinion so you're wrong". Who are you to tell people they're wrong for preferring GoT? At least that was released exactly like Sucker punch said it would be.

Hell, you even called people wrong for saying they didn't think the game would deliver on the hype before it came out!
Yeh I enjoyed it and I haven’t had a go at anyone for their opinion nearly expressing mine. I see you’ve conveniently ignored all my posts calling out CDPR for the state they released it in. I’ll happily hold my hands up and say I didn’t expect it to launch in a bad state. Why would I when they Witcher 3 was so brilliant? I mean I was hardly the only one (in fact part of the vast majority) that thought CDPR would deliver on their promises.

Despite all that all I’m arguing is that the game has many redeeming factors which elevate it as an RPG above many of its competitors that I’ve played over the last few years. That’s not me saying it as a fact, that’s me expressing my opinion and I wasn’t aware you had to place a disclaimer at the bottom of each post.

Ainu

Just beat Corrupt Toshi in Kena and now had a first attempt at the final boss. This is going to be a pretty annoying fight I fear. Toshi seemed impossible at first, like a Sekiro boss that you can't consistently parry, until I found you can cancel his combos by dashing into him. Became very doable after that.