Please settle an argument...

Deery

Dreary
Was he even the best player in the City teams he was in?

Kammy26

I’d say all time top 10 midfielder not all time top 10 player. Too many better players in front of him, you could easily pick 10 just from United, never mind some of the great players from other teams like Henry, Lampard, Drogba etc

SAFMUTD

Its hard to name just 10 all time EPL players. If I had to I wouldnt include Silva, he's definately an importat player but we cant let out players such as Cantona, Rooney, Ferdinad, Terry, Lampard, Keane, Schmichel, Viera, Shearer, Henry, Bergkamp, Scholes, Giggs, Vidic, Aguero. Thats 15 already and Silva is not among those.

kirk buttercup

Giggs
Henry
Scholes
Keane
Ronaldo
Rooney
Bergkamp
Shearer
Ruud
RVP
Cantona

to name a few

I put all them above him . He was very good though

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No way,off the top of my head I'd rate in no particular order:
Bergkamp
Cantona
Henry
Zola
Ronaldo
Rooney
Drogba
Aguero
Giggs
Vieria
Gerrard

All way ahead

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Henry
Rooney
Shearer
Lampard
Gerrard
Scholes
Keane
Vieira
Giggs

So I got a top 9 shoo-in, does Silva make number 10 over all the other players up for discussion? Nah not a chance

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nah not for me, that’s no real reflection on him though - just too much competition. Class player though.

Remember the geese

Is David Silva a top ten all-time PL player? If so who makes your top ten...
Not for me. We probably have close to ten ourselves who can claim to be bigger Premier League legends than him. Outside of United, Henry, Vieira, Aguero, Kompany, Shearer, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard are all above him. You can make a case for several others being above him too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not on pure ability. He might have the longevity argument over some players who were better but in the PL for a shorter amount of time (Suarez, or Van Nistelrooij for you guys), but even on the back of that he wouldn't get into a top 10. Even top 20 would be tough imo.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Not on pure ability. He might have the longevity argument over some players who were better but in the PL for a shorter amount of time (Suarez, or Van Nistelrooij for you guys), but even on the back of that he wouldn't get into a top 10. Even top 20 would be tough imo.
He's better ability wise than van Nistelrooy was and tbh I think the ability argument is his strongest. In terms of pure ability there haven't been many better players in the PL than Silva.

Andersons Dietician

he is easily one of the very best midfielders to ever play in the premiership. I’d rather have him in my team than Gerrard and Lampard. Blasphemy but if I’m being honest with myself I’d pick Silva over Keane if I was building a team.

Eddy_JukeZ

he is easily one of the very best midfielders to ever play in the premiership. I’d rather have him in my team than Gerrard and Lampard. Blasphemy but if I’m being honest with myself I’d pick Silva over Keane if I was building a team.
Bannable post imo

OleBoiii

No way.

You could make an argument for top 10 midfielders, if we exclude wingers.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He's better ability wise than van Nistelrooy was and tbh I think the ability argument is his strongest. In terms of pure ability there haven't been many better players in the PL than Silva.
You rate him a lot higher than I do then in that case. I'd have close to 10 midfielders ahead of him, never mind 10 players in general.

Inigo Montoya

Gerrard wasn't really an out and out midfielder though and carried a poor Liverpool in recent years. Silva couldn't

Eddy_JukeZ

No he isn't. Not even close.

Henry
Giggs
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard
Ronaldo
Cantona
Keane
Beckham
Vieira
Bergkamp
Rooney
RVN
Aguero
Drogba
Shearer

Just off the top of my head.

Skills

Snitch

Henry
Giggs
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard
Ronaldo
Cantona
Keane
Beckham
Vieira
Bergkamp
Rooney
RVN
Aguero
Drogba
Shearer

I'd give him the nod over a couple of them, but he's quite clearly second best to Aguero for me. So on that basis it's fair to say he doesn't make it in

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You rate him a lot higher than I do then in that case. I'd have close to 10 midfielders ahead of him, never mind 10 players in general.
I'll challenge you to name 10 midfielders that are better than him ability wise.

He's the 4th all time top scorer for Spain and 6th all time in appearances. That tells you how good a player he is given Spain's dominance and player pool in his era.

OleBoiii

Henry
Giggs
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard
Ronaldo
Cantona
Keane
Beckham
Vieira
Bergkamp
Rooney
RVN
Aguero
Drogba
Shearer

And you didn't even include defenders and goalkeepers. He'd probably not even be top 25 if we did that.

Andersons Dietician

Gerrard wasn't really an out and out midfielder though and carried a poor Liverpool in recent years. Silva couldn't
The way I’m kind of looking at it is how would I build a team if I had my pick of every player at their best to build a team and I’d have in my midfield Scholes, Silva and Viera. It is probably the wrong way to look at it. As obviously people like Keane, Gerrard and that are great players but I think Silva is probably one of those under appreciated gems.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'll challenge you to name 10 midfielders that are better than him ability wise.
I meant close to 10 midfielders ahead of him in an all-time PL list, not necessarily on ability.

If we're talking pure ability:

Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Vieira
De Bruyne
Beckham
Giggs
Keane

That's already 7 off the top of my head and mentioned in this thread. If you don't include longevity at all, there are arguments for the likes of Modric, Ozil, Eriksen, Toure, Pogba, Coutinho, Xabi Alonso, ... that I'd have around David Silva regarding ability.

And I mean all-round football ability playing to their strength, not necessarily the close tiki-taka, ball control and thru balls that Silva was sublime it - if you narrow "ability" down to that niche, than he's indeed top 10.

Inigo Montoya

Ability is a generic term. Are we talking temperament, technique,ability to change a game,energy? All of the above mentioned are ahead of him. Plus he's been in a very successful City side but still at peak level was unable to get them to a UCL final or any European final for that matter. Gerrard,Scholes,Pogba have all produced game changing performances in recent years.
I'd put Vieria,Beckham,Lampard,Giggs,Fernandinho,Modric,KDB ahead. There's 10

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I meant close to 10 midfielders ahead of him in an all-time PL list, not necessarily on ability.

If we're talking pure ability:

Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Vieira
De Bruyne
Beckham
Giggs
Keane

That's already 7 off the top of my head and mentioned in this thread. If you don't include longevity at all, there are arguments for the likes of Modric, Ozil, Eriksen, Toure, Pogba, Coutinho, Xabi Alonso, ...

And I mean all-round football ability playing to their strength, not necessarily the close tiki-taka, ball control and thru balls that Silva was sublime it - if you narrow "ability" down to that niche, than he's indeed top 10.
Fair enough. Personally I don't think Eriksen, Coutinho or even Ozil are as good as him and I'd have Silva over Toure every day of the week.

You forgot about Fabregas btw! Shameful! ;)

Ability is a generic term. Are we talking temperament, technique,ability to change a game,energy? All of the above mentioned are ahead of him. Plus he's been in a very successful City side but still at peak level was unable to get them to a UCL final or any European final for that matter. Gerrard,Scholes,Pogba have all produced game changing performances in recent years.
I'd put Vieria,Beckham,Lampard,Giggs,Fernandinho,Modric,KDB ahead. There's 10
Fernandinho? Behave yourself :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
What's the criteria for putting Gerrard above him?

David Silva shits on Gerrard from a great height.
Gerrard got "stuck in" more.

Although if we're ranking it on biggest divers to ever play in the PL then Gerrard is rightfully at the top.