Please settle an argument...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think we forget how good Fabregas was too. At his best, way ahead of Silva

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Top 10 player? He has been fantastic, but he may not even be a top 10 midfielder.

The Elite

Scholes
Keane
Vieira
Lampard
Gerrard

In the mix with Silva

Ince
Carrick
Kante
Makelele
Modric
Alonso
Cesc
LeTissier
Essien
Toure

90 + 5min

Is David Silva a top ten all-time PL player? If so who makes your top ten...
You could argue there is at least 50 players that made more impact then David Silva. He is excellent player but they have been so many of excellent players through the history of Premier League.

Inigo Montoya

Fair enough. Personally I don't think Eriksen, Coutinho or even Ozil are as good as him and I'd have Silva over Toure every day of the week.

You forgot about Fabregas btw! Shameful! ;)

Fernandinho? Behave yourself :lol:
:lol:
I just mentioned Cesc BTW

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough. Personally I don't think Eriksen, Coutinho or even Ozil are as good as him and I'd have Silva over Toure every day of the week.
Yeah I'd also have him over Eriksen and Coutinho to be honest, Ozil on his day not sure. Toure was almighty when playing at his peak. And I forgot Fabregas indeed!

I don't think we rate Silva that far apart though :D amazing footballer.

Inigo Montoya

Top 10 player? He has been fantastic, but he may not even be a top 10 midfielder.

The Elite

Scholes
Keane
Vieira
Lampard
Gerrard

In the mix with Silva

Ince
Carrick
Kante
Makelele
Modric
Alonso
Cesc
LeTissier
Essien
Toure
Le Tiss was a forward IMO but yes technically superb

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah I'd also have him over Eriksen and Coutinho to be honest, Ozil on his day not sure. Toure was almighty when playing at his peak. And I forgot Fabregas indeed!

I don't think we rate Silva that far apart though :D amazing footballer.
Ozil on his day was outstanding to be fair but issue is his day was so rare seemingly due to his mentality which is a shame. Used to love watching him when he was at Madrid then the early Arsenal days.

fps

Difficult to say, the general standard is higher now and the legends of the premier league have been established now, more recent players just seem too “new” in large part.

paulscholes18

Ronaldo
Henry
Cantona
Shearer
Scholes
Keane
Aguero
Vieira
Vidic
Stam

Be in the top 10 central midfielders though

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's see...

Cristiano
Henry
Rooney
Suarez
RVP
Drogba
Salah
Aguero
Torres
Shearer

Nope.

Sparky Rhiwabon

According to Wiki he’s never won a PL Player of the Year award and only won one Player of the Month! No chance he’s top 10

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
According to Wiki he’s never won a PL Player of the Year award and only won one Player of the Month! No chance he’s top 10
Pointless criteria - Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs have also never won Player of the Year and won only 2 Player of the Month trophies each. Meanwhile Jamie Vardy has 4 Player of the Month trophies and 1 Player of the Year trophy, whilst he isn't even a top 20 striker in PL history.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
For me, Aguero has been the best City player in my lifetime. Will never understand why he was rarely in a PL XI or why the Real Madrids of this world never went all out to get him. He's one of the few players including Son that I used to envy other teams for. Be glad when he fecks off to Independiente. They'll be hard pressed to replace him.

As for Silva, I doubt whether he would make a PL top 30. Probably in the top 50 bracket.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think we forget how good Fabregas was too. At his best, way ahead of Silva
Comfortably so. Like most of the midfielders listed in this thread. Silva was good, yeah. I think nostalgia bait is blinding a few.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How are we judging this though?

On pure ability? Nah.
On longevity and ability? Probably not.
On longevity, importance to club and ability? Probably not either.
On longevity, importance to club, ability and the side that he was a part of during his tenure? Maybe but still probably not.

The top 50 suggestion in the other thread though? I think based on all of those things, aye.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
All the below were better, some being for longevity and others being how good they were in at least 2 seasons, some are only slightly better though. In no order.

Henry
Shearer
Ronaldo
Rooney
Gerrard
Lampard
Viera
Keane
Scholes
Beckham
Giggs
Van Persie
Bergkamp
Ashley Cole
Terry
Ferdinand
Vidic
Cantona
Salah
De Bruyne
Aguero
Drogba
Tevez
Torres
Bale
Owen
Fowler
Fabregas
Suarez
Xabi Alonso
Van Nistelrooy
Andy Cole
Van Dijk
Kompany
Stam
Mane

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Gerrard wasn't really an out and out midfielder though and carried a poor Liverpool in recent years. Silva couldn't
Did he? His 6 years they finished 5th to 8th bar one season which was Suarez driven and the Houllier/Rafa sides were top 4 standards and always finished in or around that position.

With the possible exception of 08/09 Gerrard never really carried a team to a finish well above their station as good as he was.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No he isn't. Not even close.

Henry
Giggs
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard
Ronaldo
Cantona
Keane
Beckham
Vieira
Bergkamp
Rooney
RVN
Aguero
Drogba
Shearer

Just off the top of my head.
Not to mention the likes of Terry, Rio and Vidic

So no, he he most definitely isn't. Maybe top 20

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Gerrard
Lampard
Henry
Shearer
Rooney
Bergkamp
Vieira
Cantona
Bechkam

are better and then you have players like
RVN
RVP
Hazard
Fabregas
Aguero
Rio
Terry
Vidic
Cole
Evra
Yaya Toure
KdB

who all were very good players.

norm87cro

Can we really put him in the tier with the likes of C.Ronaldo, Henry and Aguero? Don't think so.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
My first instinct was that he'd be top 20 rather than top 10, but thinking more about it and looking at some of the lists here I'm starting to doubt even that.

Just in terms of goalkeepers and defenders, I can think of 9 players who were the best in the world in their positions for a while (or at least very very close) who you surely have to have ahead of him. Schmeichel, Cech, De Gea, Stam, Rio, Vidic, VVD, Cole and Evra. VVD is new on the scene so might be a little debatable, but he's certainly reached the highest level for a couple of seasons. Actually, TAA could probably be included using the same criteria. Terry also has a strong claim; his peak wasn't quite as good as any of the other defenders I listed but he maintained it for longer.

Add in all the midfielders and attackers and I don't see how he makes top 20. Probably somewhere around 25-30.

Cloud7

It's difficult to say top ten players overall, since that would be occupied by a lot of different positions. For example Vidic is one of the best players I've seen in the PL in his position, but not many would have him in their top ten overall. It would be best to break this down via position, and if we're doing that, then yes, Silva is one of the top ten best midfielders in PL history. If we're going with top ten overall I would say no, because most of those spots would be occupied by forwards.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This is my top 10. Players currently playing in the Premier League weren't considered.

Ronaldo
Henry
Scholes
Cantona
Keane
Giggs
Bergkamp
Vieira
Gerrard
Shearer

David Silva was brilliant. That goes without saying. The greatest Spanish player to play in the Premier League but he just misses out for me.

Robertd0803

No. He played for City so hes disqualified automatically.

Jokes aside no anyway. Top 20 yeah probably, top 10 no. Aguero would be ahead of him anyway on the list wherever he was.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I dont think he'd make anyones list of top 10. If we are including all positions, he probably would be 20-30 somewhere.

jesperjaap

Schmeichel
Ferdinand
Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Ronaldo
Rooney
Cantona

Seaman
Adams
Campbell
Viera
Berkamp
Henry

Terry
Cole
Lampard
Zola
Drogba

Gerrard
Salah

I think all of those from the other big sides probably get in above him off the top of my head. As great as City have been over the last decade Toure, Aguero and Silva would probably all finish just outside of a top ten, which is an almost impossible task anyway. The only one has a chance of making it in if he has a few more big seasons is DeBruyne

Schmeichel
Keane
Viera
Scholes
Shearer
Gerrard
Cole
Ronaldo
Henry
Giggs

That would probably at a push be my top ten as bar ROnaldo who is impossible to leave out they did it over a long period of time unlike Cantona for example.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

The Elite

Scholes
Keane
Vieira
Lampard
Gerrard

In the mix with Silva

Ince
Carrick
Kante
Makelele
Modric
Alonso
Cesc
LeTissier
Essien
Toure
Yes, so many names dont instantly spring to mind you have mentioned there like Makelele and Ince who seems to have been so under rated for both clubs and country when we talk about past greats. WOuld personally put Silva above most of the ones you mention though. For me as good as Carrick was in his later years, not in the same class as Silva

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Gerrard wasn't really an out and out midfielder though and carried a poor Liverpool in recent years. Silva couldn't
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken Gerrard had is best years as a very attacking midfielder with Xabi Alonso and Mascherano behind him. And on topic I think that Xabi Alonso was a better PL player than David Silva or at best they are in the same bracket.

rotherham_red

Not for me. Yaya and Kompany were bigger totems for Man City than he was, and neither of those two would be in my Top Ten.

rotherham_red

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken Gerrard had is best years as a very attacking midfielder with Xabi Alonso and Mascherano behind him. And on topic I think that Xabi Alonso was a better PL player than David Silva or at best they are in the same bracket.
I'd agree on Alonso, he was hideously underrated at Liverpool and never got the respect he deserved.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yes, so many names dont instantly spring to mind you have mentioned there like Makelele and Ince who seems to have been so under rated for both clubs and country when we talk about past greats. WOuld personally put Silva above most of the ones you mention though. For me as good as Carrick was in his later years, not in the same class as Silva
Sure, but the OP asked if he is a top 10 player. He isn't ahead of the first 5 midfielders that I posted, and all I posted were midfielders. I'm sure an argument could be made for him being a top 10 midfielder, but definitely not a top 10 player. Henry, Giggs, Rooney, Shearer and Ronaldo will easily round off the list that I already provided of players who are ahead of him...

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
As others have said, in his position, he's absolutely a top 10 all time player. But overall, nowhere near.