Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Interesting to hear the same journos on the back pages show condemning Erik say they believe Pochettino will turn it around
This is what really annoys me. Everyone shows hate towards us and we get slammed left right and centre, while other teams get praised even when there worse than us. I bet much won’t get said about Liverpool bottling it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think Chelsea's squad is that bad and I'm quite surprised about how their season has gone. But I think the biggest mistake Chelsea made was that when you spend a huge fee on a player like Enzo Fernandez who is technically very good on the ball but not the most agile of players out of possession, it will create a problem for a coach like Pochettino who isn't really a coach who places emphasis on build up play from the back and has built his previous reputation on playing a high pressing game by winning the ball high and creating high turnovers with his teams having the physicality and intensity to back that up.

It's mind boggling how they chose Pochettino after signing the players they did. The coach Chelsea should've appointed was someone who placed emphasis on deeper build up with aim of dominating the ball in possession with players like Enzo and Caicedo who was among the very best players in the league at keeping and progressing the ball against the opponent's press in confined spaces. How they signed those two players and paired them up with a coach like Pochettino is beyond stupid. Now it remains to be seen if Pochettino gets the time and also if he adapts to the players that were signed by the likes of Winstanley and Stewart.

Like I said a couple of years ago, Pochettino is a coach who arrived in the EPL at a time when there wasn't a big emphasis on playing a high pressing game and he along with Brendan Rodgers took advantage of a method of coaching which built up their reputation. But as the league evolved with more and more coaching talent arriving, Pochettino's influence and tactics got weaker imo.

Someone asked the question above about if the roles were reversed with ten Hag being Chelsea coach and Pochettino being United's and if there would be a difference. I say there would be because ten Hag would utilise the likes of Caicedo and Fernandez far better because if you give him the tools he has shown that he can coach a deeper build up phase far better than Pochettino who prefers the high pressing/high turnover method. Pochettino on the other hand may well have done better with the players he would've inherited at United but I very much doubt his methods would've got us close to challenging the likes of Klopp and Guardiola.

I feel if Chelsea are to make a change when it comes to the head coach, then the next chap has to be someone like a Michel (Girona) or Thiago Motta currently at Bologna. Both the aforementioned coaches would imo get the best out of the players Chelsea have bought due to their vision and philosophy.

bringbackbebe

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Me when Poch is still the manager in opening game next season

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Vibe seems to be he's been told he'll be sacked if they don't any form of European competition.

Got that feeling looking at him falling to his knees when Palmer couldn't score the one on one.

Was he this emotional when you didn't beat Burnley or Sheffield United?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Me when Poch is still the manager in opening game next season

The apparent leash that he has is absolutely mind-blowing when Tuchel got sacked for correctly telling ownership that signing Ronaldo would be a bad idea?

Just give me Tuchel back please for the love of God. There are absolutely levels to football tactics and Poch is several rungs below Tommy T

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Vibe seems to be he's been told he'll be sacked if they don't any form of European competition.

Got that feeling looking at him falling to his knees when Palmer couldn't score the one on one.

Was he this emotional when you didn't beat Burnley or Sheffield United?
Good fecking riddance I'd say. Don't even think he's been as good as Rafa Benitez was during his Chelsea spell; we are worse than we were last year except we have Cole Palmer now

E-mal

The apparent leash that he has is absolutely mind-blowing when Tuchel got sacked for correctly telling ownership that signing Ronaldo would be a bad idea?

Just give me Tuchel back please for the love of God. There are absolutely levels to football tactics and Poch is several rungs below Tommy T
Your playing staff is made up of footballers and pseudofootballers, not doing a great job but your football is decent and has a clear idea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Your playing staff is made up of footballers and pseudofootballers, not doing a great job but your football is decent and has a clear idea
I'd rather have a competent manager like Tuchel organising things and putting our players in position to succeed instead of the caveman football we play regularly.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
These kind of 'statistics' are always funny. I suppose quite a few teams would struggle to play with 10 men all season. :lol:
The sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there who lack the mental capacity to do anything than just consume this she height as stone cold FACT

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You look better than us if that is any comfort
And yet we had to rely on two borderline penalties and a huge deflection to beat you!

Poch is so far behind top managers. We turned the game around today in large part because for the first time this season we had a fullback move into deep midfield to help in the buildup phase - so perhaps Poch is now only 5 years behind instead of 10?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
And yet we had to rely on two borderline penalties and a huge deflection to beat you!

Poch is so far behind top managers. We turned the game around today in large part because for the first time this season we had a fullback move into deep midfield to help in the buildup phase - so perhaps Poch is now only 5 years behind instead of 10?
I think there was a lot about your game that was good tonight. I think there's a lot of issues with your squad and you also have a lot of injuries. I said recently that I was surprised by the way he had you playing though, because it didn't match what he's valued in the past, but tonight I could see it. I'm not going to tell you to stand by him, because we know full well what it's like having a manager underachieve but be given more and more chances. But if tonight was a sign of things to come then he might just sort it out you know. I'd feel far more optimistic if I were a Chelsea supporter compared to us. I'd kill for a performance like that compared to what we cook up, and I could genuinely get behind our manager if he'd shown anything resembling it.

I think that, if there's more of that over these next few games, and it's not a one off, then he'll be fine and you might even agree with keeping him.

CM

I feel like Boehly and co are still very much committed to this idea of a young squad who can improve and will look to appoint a younger coach in line with that, whether success with that model is realistic or not.

I reckon you could end up with Amorim from Sporting if you're prepared to throw the money around.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think there was a lot about your game that was good tonight. I think there's a lot of issues with your squad and you also have a lot of injuries. I said recently that I was surprised by the way he had you playing though, because it didn't match what he's valued in the past, but tonight I could see it. I'm not going to tell you to stand by him, because we know full well what it's like having a manager underachieve but be given more and more chances. But if tonight was a sign of things to come then he might just sort it out you know. I'd feel far more optimistic if I were a Chelsea supporter compared to us. I'd kill for a performance like that compared to what we cook up, and I could genuinely get behind our manager if he'd shown anything resembling it.

I think that, if there's more of that over these next few games, and it's not a one off, then he'll be fine and you might even agree with keeping him.
Honestly I don't disagree with you with regard to the match tonight - the issue is that if at this point we are having to grasp at reasons to keep the manager and I think it's entirely fair to say Poch hasn't built shit this year but has relied on Palmer being fecking brilliant despite his tactics, he's gotta go.

I feel like Boehly and co are still very much committed to this idea of a young squad who can improve and will look to appoint a younger coach in line with that, whether success with that model is realistic or not.

I reckon you could end up with Amorim from Sporting if you're prepared to throw the money around.
Would strongly prefer if they go with a coach with an established track record of promoting youth like Tuchel but I wouldn't hate Amorim. By most accounts here in Portugal it seems he might actually stay for at least another year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Aren't they signing some players over 25 this summer?

However they can't then give those guys 7-8 year deals and spread the fees over the long term if they're signing 60-70m players.

They're still rash in decision making in final third so an experienced head or two won't hurt. Terry summed it up well on the podcast he did with Simon Jordan this week.