Paul Pogba | Back in full training

RyRy11

No point watching us until we buy a mid, we are going to get absolutely run over.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If it's true we were interested in Haland & Koulibally before, then they are example of non-british players. Our scout did spot Martial and he's not British.

List the name then we can continue the discussing. Otherwise, fair to say the market is not open for us to buy the right players.
Unfortunately, I'm not a scout nor do I have 50 at my disposal. My limited knowledge extends to Florentino Luis at Benfica, who is highly promising and a couple of others, like Zaniolo at Roma. I don't think it's fair to say that the market is not open for us to buy the right players. What are the right players? This sounds to me more like the no value in the market bit.

Balljy

I didn't say you did. But I am assuming (which I think is fair - as that's generally been how things have worked out for clubs) that our scouting network is actively at work and has dossiers on many more players than just some handful of targets. We're not in an ideal situation. We probably cannot go out and buy an elite player. We can definitely go out and spend an elite-player-fee on a "good player". But we can also buy highly promising prospects or buy solid professional squad players from abroad. My point is that I can't believe that there aren't players out there we can actually attain without being a laughing stock in how we do business in the market. Ahem.
Yes, but isn't that exactly what we have done in the last 12 months? Rather than panic buy due to immediate concerns and end up with another Fellaini, Matic, Darmian, Sanchez etc Solskjaer has already (according to the press) turned down big-money transfers due to them not fitting into the way we need to play. Scouting the right players doesn't mean they're available right now.

To make it back to where we want to be isn't just a case of lets buy a couple of people in January because that might get us 5th rather than 8th, but waiting for the right transfers at the right time. That unfortunately might take a while but I think is the way to go as we've spent too much money on quick fixes with no direction. The easiest way to get back to the top is to invest into the next couple of years rather than buy some superstar who might get us definite Europa League and then sod off back to Italy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unfortunately, I'm not a scout nor do I have 50 at my disposal. My limited knowledge extends to Florentino Luis at Benfica, who is highly promising and a couple of others, like Zaniolo at Roma. I don't think it's fair to say that the market is not open for us to buy the right players. What are the right players? This sounds to me more like the no value in the market bit.
Not sure why Zaniolo even be mentioned. Not DM/CM. Scout will need time as well to do their job, we can't just make another panic signing if the right players are not available.

The right player is obviously player who is better than Matic and can do the job. You seem to not know what's the purpose of the signing.

The point of this discussion and why thread mentioned that we new CM/DM is because we lost Pogba & McTominay due to injury for 1-2 months. If Matic is not in the suitable solution to cover the injuries of our 2 midfielders, and while giving chance to TFM, Garner & Levitt is also not in the suitable solution then we should sign player who are much better than them that can do the job.

The injury of Pogba & McTominay just happened again end of December, there is a chance that previously we never looking for new CM/DM for January signing & our scout might not be given task to scout them for January signing.

Last edited:

Balljy

Not sure why Zaniolo even be mentioned. Not DM/CM.

The right player is obviously player who is better than Matic and can do the job. You seem to not know what's the purpose of the signing.

The point of this discussion and why thread mentioned that we new CM/DM is because we lost Pogba & McTominay due to injury for 1-2 months. If Matic is not in the suitable solution to cover the injuries of our 2 midfielders, and while giving chance to TFM, Garner & Levitt is also not in the suitable solution then we should sign player who are much better than them that can do the job.
And spend another 250,000+ a week on a player (with a 4 year contract) that if he fits straight in might get us Europa league and then not enable us to buy the midfielders we actually want long-term due to them being not good enough for the performances we actually want? We should only buy the players that are good for the long term future of the club rather than buy based because we're forced to.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes, but isn't that exactly what we have done in the last 12 months? Rather than panic buy due to immediate concerns and end up with another Fellaini, Matic, Darmian, Sanchez etc Solskjaer has already (according to the press) turned down big-money transfers due to them not fitting into the way we need to play. Scouting the right players doesn't mean they're available right now.

To make it back to where we want to be isn't just a case of lets buy a couple of people in January because that might get us 5th rather than 8th, but waiting for the right transfers at the right time. That unfortunately might take a while but I think is the way to go as we've spent too much money on quick fixes with no direction. The easiest way to get back to the top is to invest into the next couple of years rather than buy some superstar who might get us definite Europa League and then sod off back to Italy.
We've been needing a midfielder since we knew Ander was off. That's about 8 months ago. We knew that we were threadbare in midfield once the summer window shut, so that's another 4 we could have been using.

Not sure why Zaniolo even be mentioned. Not DM/CM. Scout will need time as well to do their job, we can't just make another panic signing if the right players are not available.

The injury of Pogba & McTominay just happened again end of December, there is a chance that previously we never looking for new CM/DM for January signing & our scout might not be given task to scout them for January signing.
Thanks for explaining the thread to me. I needed that. I'll keep veering off topic then, though I may illogically think it fits right in here. We have 3 midfielders Ole clearly trusts. 2 of them are injured. Also, TFM is just back from a huge injury lay-off, so it's almost pointless to bring him into the equation. Anyone who has watched United this season has identified that we desperately need more quality and depth in midfield. I assume this is known by the management and club.

Balljy

We've been needing a midfielder since we knew Ander was off. That's about 8 months ago. We knew that we were threadbare in midfield once the summer window shut, so that's another 4 we could have been using.
Yes, and if me and you know that I'm pretty certain the club did too. That doesn't mean that the players that we want are available right now though - then the choice becomes wait for the players you know are the future or accept a lower position now for a better future. We've done far too much buying of players we didn't really need but were available recently to make it pretty obvious what we need to do...

I mean...it'd be so nice to buy the players we actually need and fit into the squad rather than buy a "superstar" for crazy money and then sell them for half the price 2 years later (or not at all like Sanchez currently).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes, and if me and you know that I'm pretty certain the club did too. That doesn't mean that the players that we want are available right now though - then the choice becomes wait for the players you know are the future or accept a lower position now for a better future. We've done far too much buying of players we didn't really need but were available recently to make it pretty obvious what we need to do...

I mean...it'd be so nice to buy the players we actually need and fit into the squad rather than buy a "superstar" for crazy money and then sell them for half the price 2 years later (or not at all like Sanchez currently).
My issue with this is that I don't believe the reason we did not buy a suitable midfielder in the summer was that no one was "available". I believe it was a cost-saving exercise similar to the summer before, when we are needing to catch up with the rest. Now, however, the situation is so desperate that we simply cannot afford not to address it.

Balljy

My issue with this is that I don't believe the reason we did not buy a suitable midfielder in the summer was that no one was "available". I believe it was a cost-saving exercise similar to the summer before, when we are needing to catch up with the rest. Now, however, the situation is so desperate that we simply cannot afford not to address it.
Fair enough and I hope that's not the case. Only Solskjaer knows who he wanted and spent some decent money in other areas. I'm sure a midfielder would be on the list though considering that we wouldn't have known for definite that McTominay would have improved like he has.

Stadjer

McT out for months? How sure are we that he isnt faking his injury? Ive read that Manchester United players fake injuries or is Pogba the only one who is going to be accused of that?

Also i would like a full report about Phil Jones and his injuries. Injured that often? Some must have been fake.... right?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And spend another 250,000+ a week on a player (with a 4 year contract) that if he fits straight in might get us Europa league and then not enable us to buy the midfielders we actually want long-term due to them being not good enough for the performances we actually want? We should only buy the players that are good for the long term future of the club rather than buy based because we're forced to.
What are you against here?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Thanks for explaining the thread to me. I needed that. I'll keep veering off topic then, though I may illogically think it fits right in here. We have 3 midfielders Ole clearly trusts. 2 of them are injured. Also, TFM is just back from a huge injury lay-off, so it's almost pointless to bring him into the equation. Anyone who has watched United this season has identified that we desperately need more quality and depth in midfield. I assume this is known by the management and club.
Anyone who has watched United should know the quality of Fred, McTominay & Pogba. It's 3 options in 2 spots, we have been unfortunate that two of them have been injured. You look at Chelsea, they also had 3 options in 2 spots.

If we want to add players in our squad then we need to make they are the right players and not just be another panic & pointless wasted of money signing. In this January there are not many available in the market.

zenith

Without pogba and Mctominay we don't have a hope in hell of attaining top four of any of the cups. Best bet to get back into the CL is to somehow last in the europa till we get our players back and put all eggs in that basket.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Without pogba and Mctominay we don't have a hope in hell of attaining top four of any of the cups. Best bet to get back into the CL is to somehow last in the europa till we get our players back and put all eggs in that basket.
Hate to say you re right..but I agree it doesn't seem like this has a happy ending at the moment. I'm at least relieved Fred seems to have finally found his footing but without McT or Pogba alongside him I just don't see how we could possibly run a proper midfield. Pereira will have to have some unusually high performing games because I am not expecting a thing from Mata and Lingard at this point. Will be interesting to see if Ole adjusts/tightens up the formation tomorrow. I'm expecting Wolves to take a similar approach to tomorrow s game as Arse.

Hughes35

Carrick out of retirement like Scholes??? I don't even know if I'm joking or not.

I think he'd still be our second best midfielder after Fred at the moment..... My god, that's sad.

Godfather

We already needed a CM in the summer but straight out neglected to adress that position. Now it'd be straight out mental to not get at least 2 CM in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We already needed a CM in the summer but straight out neglected to adress that position. Now it'd be straight out mental to not get at least 2 CM in.
Needed word is just your preference.

In actual fact is that we need right forward & no 10 more than CM. In CM role, we have 4 option at the moment for 2 spots, we might sign a new CM when Matic leaves, but right now our no 10 lacks quality while our wide forward lack depth.

The only reason why people think we need CM because both Pogba & McTominay have been injured while both Rashford & James haven't been injured, if it's the other way around people would have make the other thread.

We must make sure to sign the right player if we want to spend money whether it's CM or other role, just because we are desperate a CM for the next 1-2 months when Pogba & McTominay will be missing doesn't mean we have to sign someone blindly.

RedIan

Yep, imagine if Fred and matic get injured we are left with academy yongsters. its absolutely critical we sign midfield players this month.

prateik

The few players that are left fit will get injured if we keep playing them all the time..

feck the cups. Europa leauge is where its at.

we still need some signings this month though..

jackal&hyde

Pretty clear McT doesn’t want to play for us anymore. First a knock, then a few weeks, now a few months. Sick of the circus around him. GET OUT OF MY CLUB!!111 Bet he celebrated New Year last night too.
Don't want to get ahead of myself but i am convinced he is a virus and epitomizes everything that is wrong with this club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're getting quite close to needing to give jonesy a run around in the midfield

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fair play to Pogba for consulting with his own people instead of listening to the clueless pricks within United's medical department. Wish Rashy had done the same.

RedCurry

Fair play to Pogba for consulting with his own people instead of listening to the clueless pricks within United's medical department. Wish Rashy had done the same.
Didn't Hargreaves rip into our medical staff as well? I believe we've changed the staff since, but it very well looks like we went and hired a bunch of incompetent people once again.

Lynty

Does seem like this has been a consistent problem for almost two decades.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Because there is obviously a dearth of sports physios in the world!!

I know we are not run the best but ffs a physio who we didn’t employ suggests that our medical team is bad

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I remember when we appointed Mou and he brought Rui Faria with him. I thought our injury worries may have been a thing of the past, but look what happened.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
By all accounts it was Rashford who wanted to play. If we had the players in the first place then yes he could have been rested