Pogba Future

Would you accept Dybala and Sandro for Pogba?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EireRed_GS

If he really has asked for 500k p/w, I'd say this is the first motions of angling for move by his agent/himself.

I think with the DeGea demands its about being paid his worth (more than shit sanchez) and willing to stay at the club.. I feel it a completely different approach with the Pogba camp

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Because you manage transfers out as well as transfers in. People seem to think a Director of Football is just about buying players, but it is about selling and turning over the squad too.

It shouldn't be a surprise when a player is minded to leave, because they want a new challenge, as you should understand their motivations and their long term plans. This is part and parcel of managing a sustainable workforce in any company. For some reason, plenty of midtable clubs get that players will often want to move on for a new challenge, a different environment, or a bigger team, but at United we are consistently bewildered by it.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Who'd have thought Sir Alex was right to get shot? Never thought it was a good plan to pay what we did to get him back.
Except Sir Alex didn't get shot, we offered him a contract, he walked on a free.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Killing time at work here, looking at Juve a few seasons ago. Some points:

Pogba plays as an AM on the left. He drifts wide a lot, and the area he occupies most frequently is actually something you'd normally associate with a LWF or something of that ilk. Close to the box.

This is, not without relevance or interest, exactly the role he played in his best performances under Ole at the beginning of the "honeymoon" run.

He isn't a fixed part of the central midfield configuration at all. Juve tend to have a lot of bodies in the middle: Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio stick fairly closely together per default - again, Pogba ain't part of the central midfield at all, his role is decidedly free.

Up front, a pair of mobile forwards, with Tevez especially making constant runs (which Pogba likes). We do have forwards capable of moving their arses a bit. Quality movement is another matter, of course, but that's what coaching's for - no?

To my thinking, we don't necessarily need a Pirlo style player to make things work (with Pogba, or for Pogba). The key is to make sure that the middle of the park isn't overrun (this is precisely our problem at the moment). Having a brilliant, creative passer as the deepest midfielder is very nice - but not crucial. Pogba's creative burden (to call it that) can be lessened in other ways. One possibility is to bring in someone like the current muppet fave Hernandes, i.e. an upgrade on Lingard in Ole's initial (and most successful) XI: Lingard isn't a RW and doesn't play like one in this setup - he plays in the hole, basically. So, upgrade him with a player who's better on the ball and more creative. Hernandes offers a considerable goal threat to boot. And he isn't lazy, he can press a bit, track runners, etc., which is important.

Matic can't be relied on, that seems clear (runs out of steam after a few starts on the trot), so that needs addressing. But his replacement (again, having Ole's initial setup in mind here) doesn't have to be a high-end playmaker. Good passer, good positioning, not slow as feck - that'll do.

Herrera is good enough for the third role, I think, but if he leaves we obviously have to address this as well. But, yes, something like this:

DM*
Herrera**-----Pogba

Hernandes***

Rashford----Martial​

* Good passer, good positioning, not slow as feck.
** Aggressive, hounding, mobile.
*** Creative, not lazy, etc.

ETA The actual positioning (default) would be more like this:

- DM--
CM-----------------
--------------- AM----------Pogba

FW-----FW​

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Same quality? coutinho cannot lace PP's boots. One is argusbly top 3 talent in the world and the other one can't make a name for himself at Barce. PP playing along side the likes of Messi, dembele and suarez will rack up 25 assists minimum for the season.
And Pogba has struggled to make an impression over the course of his United career too.

Pogba has a goal/assist every 150 minutes in the PL since joining.

Coutinho has a goal/assist every 160 minutes in La Liga since joining.

Not much in it. But if you take penalties out of the equation, Coutinho is well ahead.

And, unlike Pogba in the current United side (his most productive period), Barcelona is not built around getting the best out of Coutinho.

Your argument can cut both ways. Over here, he wouldn't have Messi taking up his favourite positions.

If we sold Pogba and bought Coutinho, we'd make a £60m profit and not be any worse off on the field.

Zed 101

Based on the Wolves game McTomminey did everything Pogba should have and Pogba was kack, more and more he is, worth £500k.... don't make me larf, we pay that fecker half a mil a week and we deserve to implode, not only taken to the cleaners but whilst there bent over and thoroughly rogered

Judas

Open to offers
Based on the Wolves game McTomminey did everything Pogba should have and Pogba was kack, more and more he is, worth £500k.... don't make me larf, we pay that fecker half a mil a week and we deserve to implode, not only taken to the cleaners but whilst there bent over and thoroughly rogered
But Pogba was played deeper against Wolves, and McTominay was played further forward, thus why the latter was making the runs Pogba usually does? Or did that game convince you we don't need Pogba anymore because we've got....Scott McTominay? I think I'm going to bed.

Melville Red

Except Sir Alex didn't get shot, we offered him a contract, he walked on a free.
Utd May have offered him a contract but what sort of contract?
If Fergie thought he was good enough he would have made sure he stayed, he would have played him he didn’t.
We should never have brought him back, Juventus must have pissed themselves laughing when we paid that money.

Zed 101

But Pogba was played deeper against Wolves, and McTominay was played further forward, thus why the latter was making the runs Pogba usually does? Or did that game convince you we don't need Pogba anymore because we've got....Scott McTominay? I think I'm going to bed.
Was he played deeper?? or did he drop deep? thing is I was not part of Solskjaer's team talk and plans so have to judge based on what I see.... Pogba was poo and the majority of the problem with Pogba is that when he does something and it doesn't work, he does it again and againa and again, got 3 players on him all the time and he tries to dribble around them instead of passing it off quickly..... Pogba's biggest problem is that he can be world class he just doesn't realise whenit isn't working, does not try to change it up or try something different

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
he is so far from being a star that he's not even in the same universe as the likes of Ronaldo. build the team around him and disaster looms
Obviously not Ronaldo. But who is? What I mean is that on his day (which maybe is not as often as it could be) he's a show stopper, entertainer. Cast you mind back 4 or 5 weeks and the guy was absolutely tearing it up. He's dipped recently, but so has the team with injuries and suspensions. There is no more talented player in the squad.

Jib

And Pogba has struggled to make an impression over the course of his United career too.

Not much in it. But if you take penalties out of the equation, Coutinho is well ahead.

And, unlike Pogba in the current United side (his most productive period), Barcelona is not built around getting the best out of Coutinho.

Your argument can cut both ways. Over here, he wouldn't have Messi taking up his favourite positions.

If we sold Pogba and bought Coutinho, we'd make a £60m profit and not be any worse off on the field.
Coutinho never played in a midfield 2 in his career. And rarely as CM in a midfielder 3. He played either as one of the front three or as AM most of his career.

Your stats just show how poor Coutinho's output is while Pogba is the most prolific midfielder in the world in the least creative big team in the world :drool:

Barcelona are still crying because of this fraud while Ed Woodward is doing everything he can to keep Pogba even if Juventus and Real Madrid badly want him... you can't compare them...:houllier:

Last edited:

Canagel

Why should they fit around him? Messi is the main man. He's playing in arguably the best team in the world and you making excuses for him. :lol: PP is throwing up 20+ goal and assists in the 6th best team of England whilst Barcelona searches buyers for Coutinho. There's levels.

He can't fit into a midfield 3 and match PP's output without disturbing the balance of their team at the same time.
Or a midfield two for that matter like PP has done.
And Dembele is better and more effective in the front three so it's a bad fit.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Why should they fit around him? Messi is the main man. He's playing in arguably the best team in the world and you making excuses for him. :lol: PP is throwing up 20+ goal and assists in the 6th best team of England whilst Barcelona searches buyers for Coutinho. There's levels.

He can't fit into a midfield 3 and match PP's output without disturbing the balance of their team at the same time.
Or a midfield two for that matter like PP has done.
And Dembele is better and more effective in the front three so it's a bad fit.
If that's how you read that comment, there's not much hope for you.

The_Bloods

Doesn't matter, he left on a free, we wanted to keep him.
This is what SAF said.

“It’s a bit disappointing because I don’t think he showed us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I’m quite happy that he’s away, from me, anyway.”

RasTiaGba

If no bids come in he'll probably focus on United for the season, and give his all to try and win trophies.

And if a bid does come in, it'll need to be acceptable for him to leave.

Cliche Guevara

Killing time at work here, looking at Juve a few seasons ago. Some points:

Pogba plays as an AM on the left. He drifts wide a lot, and the area he occupies most frequently is actually something you'd normally associate with a LWF or something of that ilk. Close to the box.

This is, not without relevance or interest, exactly the role he played in his best performances under Ole at the beginning of the "honeymoon" run.

He isn't a fixed part of the central midfield configuration at all. Juve tend to have a lot of bodies in the middle: Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio stick fairly closely together per default - again, Pogba ain't part of the central midfield at all, his role is decidedly free.

Up front, a pair of mobile forwards, with Tevez especially making constant runs (which Pogba likes). We do have forwards capable of moving their arses a bit. Quality movement is another matter, of course, but that's what coaching's for - no?

To my thinking, we don't necessarily need a Pirlo style player to make things work (with Pogba, or for Pogba). The key is to make sure that the middle of the park isn't overrun (this is precisely our problem at the moment). Having a brilliant, creative passer as the deepest midfielder is very nice - but not crucial. Pogba's creative burden (to call it that) can be lessened in other ways. One possibility is to bring in someone like the current muppet fave Hernandes, i.e. an upgrade on Lingard in Ole's initial (and most successful) XI: Lingard isn't a RW and doesn't play like one in this setup - he plays in the hole, basically. So, upgrade him with a player who's better on the ball and more creative. Hernandes offers a considerable goal threat to boot. And he isn't lazy, he can press a bit, track runners, etc., which is important.

Matic can't be relied on, that seems clear (runs out of steam after a few starts on the trot), so that needs addressing. But his replacement (again, having Ole's initial setup in mind here) doesn't have to be a high-end playmaker. Good passer, good positioning, not slow as feck - that'll do.

Herrera is good enough for the third role, I think, but if he leaves we obviously have to address this as well. But, yes, something like this:

DM*
Herrera**-----Pogba

Hernandes***

Rashford----Martial​

* Good passer, good positioning, not slow as feck.
** Aggressive, hounding, mobile.
*** Creative, not lazy, etc.

ETA The actual positioning (default) would be more like this:

- DM--
CM-----------------
--------------- AM----------Pogba

FW-----FW​
So basically you need a team full of great players, doing all the work, so Pogba can then have fun showing off and looking good.

GM K

Pogba and his agent. Always troublesome.

Troublesome when Sir Alex was here, when Jose was here and now showing the signs under Ole. I wish the lad can just focus on being what he is capable of being: the very best.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So basically you need a team full of great players, doing all the work, so Pogba can then have fun showing off and looking good.
Aye.

But it could work after a fashion with less than absolutely great players too. Provided he's at least half-arsed more often than not.

Look, I'm actually more in the "not worth the hassle" camp - but if Ole is serious about building around him, well, I find it interesting (call it an academic interest if you will) to imagine how it might be done.

You could also say that ultimately we probably need a fair amount of great players to fulfill what most fans still consider our natural ambitions, so there's that too. If we aim lower, say aim to slowly assemble a well oiled unit, adding pieces until we've got a foundation we can add that final killer touch to...sell him, simple.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Obviously not Ronaldo. But who is? What I mean is that on his day (which maybe is not as often as it could be) he's a show stopper, entertainer. Cast you mind back 4 or 5 weeks and the guy was absolutely tearing it up. He's dipped recently, but so has the team with injuries and suspensions. There is no more talented player in the squad.
Funny how all the Mourinho boys have forgotten about this. We didn’t hear a peep when that was happening. Suddenly he hasn’t scored for a few games and he’s “not worth the hassle” and “should be sold” just because Mourinho started talking YET AGAIN about pogba to the press. Oh and Madrid desperately want him, but yet again it’s all his fault for being rubbish :lol: people are strange. I think they’re just putting up a wall so they can’t get hurt or something odd.

Reddy Rederson

Funny how all the Mourinho boys have forgotten about this. We didn’t hear a peep when that was happening. Suddenly he hasn’t scored for a few games and he’s “not worth the hassle” and “should be sold” just because Mourinho started talking YET AGAIN about pogba to the press. Oh and Madrid desperately want him, but yet again it’s all his fault for being rubbish :lol: people are strange. I think they’re just putting up a wall so they can’t get hurt or something odd.
Or its that hes been this exact level of shit before, not putting in the effort and generally just sauntering around. We all blamed jose for his performances, yet here he is back to his worst and no jose in sight. Cant wait till leaves and takes his drama with him.

If Pogba does leave this summer it will just illustrate what a underwhelming second stint he's had with us from his perspective and the clubs,with the lack of ambition from the ownership in bringing in a similar class of player.

Basically, a waste of everyone's time and money.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
The fact that he can't be arsed to dismiss the rampant rumours strongly suggests that there is at least some truth in the rumours.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
If we get 150m and Kroos I'm taking it. That easily buys us defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder. If we picked up Ndombele and Fernandes or Eriksen our midfield suddenly overall looks much stronger.

We'll have an upgrade at DM, someone to control the game in Kroos and replace Pogbas productivity in an AM.

purgethefallen

I don’t get how we question the mental strength of a player who wins the World Cup starting for his country in comparison with how things stand the 6th place team in our league.

We are all United fans but have a bit of realism to your logic. As I’ve said before Pogba is not the problem.
Pogba may not be the problem, but he's certainly a major part of our problems. No team can have their supposedly best player go absent for game after game after game. I just hope that we don't build our team around him.

promisedlanchiao

both robertson and alex-arnold only have 1 assist less than Pogba. this shows how ineffective the fecker has been. if he wants to go to real madrid, let him leave. i have had enough of these mercenaries turning up
for the club only when they feel like it. these snakes are only making a mockery of the passion of ordinary fans, people who pay a lot of money to follow the club, without the huge salaries that people like Pogba are sucking from the club

Adam-Utd

Or its that hes been this exact level of shit before, not putting in the effort and generally just sauntering around. We all blamed jose for his performances, yet here he is back to his worst and no jose in sight. Cant wait till leaves and takes his drama with him.
He's not sauntered around though has he. Nothing was wrong with his effort against Wolves. The stats show he was the most creative player yet again, and his running stats are no lower than anybody else.

Yes he lost the ball doing a step over but that's just how he plays, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
both robertson and alex-arnold only have 1 assist less than Pogba. this shows how ineffective the fecker has been. if he wants to go to real madrid, let him leave. i have had enough of these mercenaries turning up
for the club only when they feel like it. these snakes are only making a mockery of the passion of ordinary fans, people who pay a lot of money to follow the club, without the huge salaries that people like Pogba are sucking from the club
:houllier: He's 1 of the highest assisters in the league you donut.
The fact that he can't be arsed to dismiss the rampant rumours strongly suggests that there is at least some truth in the rumours.
He's never confirmed or denied any rumour, even when we were after him.

Godfather

If we get 150m and Kroos I'm taking it. That easily buys us defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder. If we picked up Ndombele and Fernandes or Eriksen our midfield suddenly overall looks much stronger.

We'll have an upgrade at DM, someone to control the game in Kroos and replace Pogbas productivity in an AM.
Kroos is well past it. No thanks

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Think we will hold on to him this summer, Ed will look to shift Sanchez and offer Pogba his wages, Pogba will accept.

cyberman

Still nonsense to me. Ole saying he Pogba will stay isn't buying fecking time.
Its shocking how easily the media can rattle our fanbase

ovoxo

Competely agree. If Ole says he’s staying and we’ll build a team around him, that’s what will happen.

I think he’ll sign a new contract once we shift Sanchez in the summer. The bloody wage structure has been obliterated because of that decision.

Adam-Utd

I think it stems from the Ronaldo/Madrid phobia. So many people are scared of losing our best player to them again.

It's very strange though how they believe EVERY snippet from the press or Mourinho twisting tales. Pretty much everybody else loves Pogba, Ole clearly loves him too.

But the estranged Ex didn't like him, so suddenly Pogba is a bad guy and a virus :lol: I just can't understand for the life of me what they see. Maybe it's an old fashioned mentality of work ethic over talent.

I'm more than happy to call a spade a spade, but I saw nothing against Wolves to suggest Pogba wasn't trying. People can't seem to see that having an off day/less form isn't down tooling.